The LEGO Movie Videogame

Chronicler06

I don't recall ever seeing a topic about this particular game, so I figured I might as well start one myself.

This topic is about the LEGO Movie Videogame, which came out at the same time as the movie itself in February 2014. Feel free to discuss your thoughts on this game, what you liked or didn't like, and how it compares to other Lego video games.

I got this game last September (thanks to a sale on Steam) and spent the following five months playing it extensively, reaching 100% completion six times. As a result, I've now practically memorized how much of this game works, and I would be more than happy to offer any help or advice to anyone who might be having a little difficulty somewhere.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

If anyone is interested in listening to the soundtrack of this game, I was able to find a complete playlist of all the music tracks. I'll just provide a link to the first one and you can find the rest from there.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOmoeytvesk&list=PLADajjvOG11EVyu_U4V1tDoDTW0Y6QbCz

Question: Is there a way to make the game shut up and stop giving me direct orders for every itty bitty thing.

Are you talking about those captions that say things like "Use (character) to (character ability)"? I'm honestly not sure if that's possible. I personally don't have an issue with it, and simply ignored them after a while. I haven't played any other Lego games to know if this is a common feature, so you'll have to ask someone else about that.

Has anyone else enjoyed playing this game? I'm sure I can't be the only one around here.

I feel like this game was rushed out the door to meet deadlines. Compared to other Lego games, the whole experience feels unpolished. The graphics, for one, are rough around the edges, and the humour rather falls flat. On top of which, many cutscenes are just low-quality rips straight from the movie. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a great movie, but it just makes the game look worse by comparison. Overall, my least favourite Lego TT game, but I'm sure it has its fans.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Well, I guess I should've expected that there would be some people who wouldn't like this game very much. I understand that there fans of other Lego games that I haven't been interested in playing (mostly because many of them are for licensed themes that I don't know a whole lot about), so I'll respect everyone's opinions and try to curb my already obvious enthusiasm for this particular game.

Though I'd like to point out that while the cutscenes are taken directly from the movie, they are not exactly like what you see in the movie. I'm don't mean just that bits and pieces are cut out to make the cutscenes shorter (that much I'm sure many may have already noticed), but also they contain certain bits of dialogue that seem to be strangely absent from the movie. (For example, when MetalBeard finds the heroes on that double-decker couch in the ocean, he says, "Avast, mateys!" while in the game cutscene, he also says "I have returned!" right after that.)

Question: Is there a way to make the game shut up and stop giving me direct orders for every itty bitty thing.

Are you talking about those captions that say things like "Use (character) to (character ability)"? I'm honestly not sure if that's possible. I personally don't have an issue with it, and simply ignored them after a while. I haven't played any other Lego games to know if this is a common feature, so you'll have to ask someone else about that.

Has anyone else enjoyed playing this game? I'm sure I can't be the only one around here.

No. I'm talking about the fact that every little itty bitty step has to be narrated by a character before I do it, or has to have a fat arrow point to it. I'm talking about the building puzzles that don't involve any intuitive understanding of how LEGO works, but instead have you match images of bricks. Let me tell you about my experience with the LEGO Movie Video Game. I hated it. This wasn't any sort of disappointment or disgruntlement. I seriously felt wrathful after 2 hours of that game. After I gave up and stopped playing, I paced around my room for several minutes yelling at my PC, game developers I don't know, LEGO, and the world in general. Sometimes when I think about the game, I have to take a brief walk to calm myself down. That game is the antithesis of everything I believe in game design. When I get back to my dorm room where I can have some solitude, I am going to stream myself playing that game, and entertain my friends as I lose my mind playing The LEGO Movie Video Game.

I'm not joking.

Worst game of 2014.

• Upvote 3

You know, you didn't really have to make such a huge rant about it. You could've just simply said that you didn't like the dialogue, the arrows, or the rather simplistic "master build-it" sections, and I would be fine with that. I understand very well that not everyone is going to like certain games that I enjoy.

What I don't understand is why some people have to make such a big deal about hating a game. I mean, all in all, it's just a video game. If you don't like it, then don't play it. I fail to see how any game a person dislikes would be worth whining about. I can name a bunch of other games that I'd rather not waste my time playing, but voicing my complaints would also be a waste of my time, so I won't even bother.

My point is, if you don't like this game, then just forget about it and move on to something else. There's no need to ruin the fun for those of us who do enjoy this game.

You know, you didn't really have to make such a huge rant about it. You could've just simply said that you didn't like the dialogue, the arrows, or the rather simplistic "master build-it" sections, and I would be fine with that. I understand very well that not everyone is going to like certain games that I enjoy.

I could just say I dislike things, but that just takes out all of the emotion of the issue. This is is interactive media, that emotion is important. This also isn't a waste of my time. I am a student of game design, so naturally I like to dissect and discover what there is to enjoy in games whether or not I enjoy the game itself. I like to write them down and get my thoughts straight, then toss them when relevant to see what happens.

So! Why do you like The LEGO Movie Video Game? What compelled you to complete the game half-a-dozen times over? I would very much like to know.

Edit-because-I-don't-like-posts-containing-only-thank-yous: Thanks for the reply. It was very informative. :D

Edited by Alcom1
  • Upvote 1

I've got quite a lot of reasons, actually. I guess I'll start with why I even bothered to get this game in the first place. To be honest, I've been reluctant on getting any of the Lego video games that have been coming out over the past few years, mostly because they are all on a licensed theme (many of which I've never even bothered to try familiarizing myself with, so I was obviously never interested in getting any of those games). In fact, the previous Lego game I got was Bionicle Heroes, all the way back in 2006. (I'll admit that I've played that particular game to full completion so many times that I've actually lost count, so I guess you could say that once I decide to actually get a Lego game, I just can't stop playing it.)

For the Lego Movie Videogame, on the other hand, I had seen the movie, liked it a lot, and was very eager to see what more there could be to such a unique world. The game had certainly delivered on providing more scenes and dialogue than what you see in just the movie. One of my favorite examples is where the main cast is underwater inside the submarine. In the movie, that scene lasts only like one or two minutes, while the video game has an entire level devoted to that setting, with much of it involving the unique dynamic of swimming around underwater. (Not to mention, the music on that level is easily among my favorites from the entire game.)

I'd also like to point out that while Benny easily became my favorite character right as I first saw the movie, I didn't have a definitive second-favorite character (Vitruvius) until I played this game. Most of this is due to some of the dialogue, which included humor that I actually found to be quite funny at times. In fact, the dialogue made this game feel so lively that when I played through all the levels in Free Play Mode (where you're free to play as any unlocked character), I actually found the complete absence of dialogue made me feel like I was playing a completely different game (one that I still enjoyed very much, but seemed to me like something special was missing).

One of the reasons I had started this topic was because I was convinced there were other people here who had played this game, but perhaps may have been having a little difficulty in some places, and I thought that I could be a nice guy and help them out. I know that I certainly had a little trouble here and there the first time I played. (The most frustrating part for me was collecting a certain bunch of bonus items at the start of a certain level. On my first playthrough, I must've restarted that level over a dozen times before I finally got it right, but thanks to continued experience by the time of my latest playthrough, I actually got it all right on the first try.) In addition, playing through the entire game multiple times, each with a different strategy, allowed me to figure out how to work around a certain little glitch (I can assure you it's nothing serious nor does it even get in the way of 100% completion, but it can be rather annoying).

There's so much more about this game that I could say I really liked (like specific pieces of dialogue that I found especially funny), but I don't have much time left to type up this comment, so I'll just stop here for now.

• Upvote 1