Life in the Shadows (not as grim as it sounds.)

Rahkshi Lalonde

Introduction:

My name is Makuta Krika, I live with five other makuta who are also my co-workers! We work for the Brotherhood of Makuta, but we don't do anything special, yet. Currently we're at the rank formally known as “Slug-factory” yeah, we make gross slugs. Bu that's the less-important part of our day, honestly!

When we get back from our altogether boring job, we come home to our neighbors, the Toa Nuva, who are always ready to fight us for some reason or another! Mostly just because they're bored, and probably rich, they get all sorts of new gear and stuff form “The Boss” it's outrageous.

But yeah, basically that's my life. Go to work, make slugs, go home, get beat up by Toa Nuva. repeat.

Fun right?

Ep 01a

I awake this morning to the familiar chirrup of my alarm clock, shortly before I send my fist down to meet it, but miss it by a mark, and smash my hand into the table.

The clock goes sailing through the air, and out the window, chirping all the way.

I groggily tilt my torso into a 90-degree position, a tangle of strawberry hair obscuring my face, a line of half-dried drool caking my jaw.

I am not a morning person, and never claim to be, mornings make my brain want to honestly immolate itself, and if I could sleep forever I honestly would in a heartbeat, but I guess mornings are there to keep people like me in the loop of useless garbage that most call “society”.

Slumping out of bed like some kind of swamp-thing, I drag my frame to the closet to get new clothes. And by “new clothes” I mean “one of my many copies of the same clothes” as I slip out of my faded pinkish-striped pajamas and into a red-and-white tee, followed by a light black jacket and slim black pants. And nothing finishes the “this girl only wears one color” look like red socks, red-and-white sneakers, and a pair of fingerless white gloves.

Yep, my fantastic wardrobe of Ill-taste.

Me and my cloak of shame haul downstairs so I can put some bland-flavored nutrition in my food-hole, but as I arrive at the bottom step, I am greeted by none other than...

“Well, well, well. Look who finally came crawling into the light,”

Sitting across from me, and all decked out in black, grey, and a sightly different shade of grey. Is Makuta Chirox, Jerklord Extraordinaire.

“So, Kik, how was hibernation this year? Judging by your hair, I can see you've already been working on the “hideous unkempt bear” look.”

I open my mouth for a steamed retort, but am interrupted by the door,

“Hey, I was just outside fetching the paper, and for some reason this clock comes out of nowhere and-”

“Oh, hey Kik, didn't expect to see you so awake this early! ...Or so angry this early, for that matter.”

Antroz produces a weak laugh and awkwardly moves himself out of range of my steel-melting glare, which is now at maximum power and in danger of blowing a fuse. And i probably would, if another person hadn't entered the room,

“ALRIGHT KIDDIES, PLAYTIME'S OVER,”

Gorast is a big muscular woman, with black spikey hair that's dyed green at the tips, her shirts are all rather tight-fitting, and she wears almost entirely shades of green. This morning, parts of her seem to still be damp with water.

“I just took a shower and I am so hungry i could eat a mana-ko,”

“And I don't mean just the organic parts.”

She was about as steamed as I was today, but then again, she was always steamed. Sometimes we even manage cook broccoli on her forehead. I watch her as she flings the fridge door open with enough force to make one fear for its hinges.

Mumbling incoherently as she rummages through our shared perishable goods, I can faintly hear “whydon'twehaveanyrealfood” or, something like it.

“HEY.” She blurted out after a time,

“ALRIGHT WHO DID IT?”

Chirox cranes his head around, “Well, That depends... What is “it” this time?”

“And, if possible, can “it” be considered Vamprah's fault for all intents and purposes?”

Chirox grinned and Gorast scowled,

“Someone, has been drinking from the milk jug again,”

She pulled the empty jug from the fridge for all to see. turning it over to mphasise its emptitude.

“AND, they left the empty jug in there when they finished!”

And she tossed the jug at Vamprah's head, which it rang off like a bell.

The blue makuta responds with nothing more than a nod and a thumbs-up, promoting another scowl and something mumbled that sounds like “disgusting.”

I turn away to face Antroz, who was just folding up a paper he had been reading,

“Well folks,” he begins “It's a weekend so no work today...

Anything new this morning, hmm?”

Gorast slamms the fridge door with enough force to break the hinges she had been tormenting earler,

“Well, we need milk.”

Causing them to buckle and release the door to collapse dramatically onto the floor.

“...and a new refridgerator door.”

“Right then,” replies Antroz “Some grocery shopping seems to be in order! Who's turn is it this week?”

The final member of the room, a quiet, brooding sort in yellow-black-and-red by the name of Bitil, goes over to the bulletin board, containing a table of names and dates,

"Hm, Let's see...

Laundry – Krika.

Bathrooms – Krika.

Yard – Krika.

Dishes – Vamprah.

Groceries... Hm, seems to be Krika this week.”

Annnd of course it's me, I am absolutely, completely shocked at this development, which I totally didn't see coming a mile and a half away.

That last sentence? That was me being sarcastic.

I do my best to hide my exaggerated sigh, (which is nothing) and grab a list off the voard, “Fine, what do we need?” the list paper has a picture of a chibi-Teridax in the corner, gleefully jotting down his to-do's in the entrails of his enemies.

The makuta in the room begin listing off things to buy, starting with the aforementiond “milk, fridge,” and continuing with “towels, soap, flour, clocks, nails, kanoka disks...” By the itme we're done, we have a list as long as I am tall, made entirely of taped-together Chibi-kuta mini-lists.

I push strawberry bangs from my forehead and exhale, “well that's... something.” before turning to the others, “sure that's everything?” I say, before continuing with “Don't answer that.” and another sigh.

“Well, here I go...” I mosey on over to the front door,

“Out the door,” I stick my legs out the door, but lean in through the frame,

“I'm leaving,” I lean my head in forther as I push my torso through,

“Goodbye,” My hair brushes across the frame but i'm obviously still lagging in the doorway,

“have a nice-”

“For Mata-Nui's sake Kik, close the door before you let rahi in!” Shouted Gorast.

I jut my entire upper body back in with a huff, “Fine fine, i'm goooone.” I trail as the door closes between the room and I, for good this time.

[Well here it is, another for the pile of "things i did because i was experimenting and being weird again...." "in comedy form"]

[Also, take note that this is "Ep 01a" it turns out the episode was getting too long wordswise and i figured i'd split it up, so you won't see Kik go grocery shopping until the next one, Ep 01b, sorry! ]

[Anyway, comments critique, etc etc etc. y'know the dril.]

(also also also, i know the premise listed in the intro hasn't actually shown up at all, the grocery shopping idea is just the first one i ended up expanding upon, the promised Nuva/Makuta feuding will happen, i swear. :u)

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Hi, Rahkshi Lalonde!  This is an interesting start to a comedy!  :)

I think my favorite part so far is the challenge you've given yourself of making six, shadowy roommates stand out from one another when they inevitably have a lot in common.  Some of my favorite lines were:

Sitting across from me, and all decked out in black, grey, and a slightly different shade of grey.

Slumping out of bed like some kind of swamp-thing, I drag my frame to the closet to get new clothes. And by “new clothes” I mean “one of my many copies of the same clothes”

It's funny because no matter how hard they try, they're all still shadowy Makutas.  :P  Generally, I liked your long, descriptive passages the most.  Comedies usually require dialogue to move along, but the description can be just as funny!

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Toa Nuva with their varied, well-established personalities and the Makutas mix!  :)

*Snip for space*

Yes, it was difficult to differentiate the Makuta, both in personality and in color scheme. :u

still with a few slight alterations (Chirox being the "necessary jerk" also Dadtroz) i think i managed to not mangle them too much. :0

point #2: yes, I find i am actually much better at passages of description than i am at dialogue, especially when taking such a biased first-person worldview like Kik has, (entierly too negative, that is.)

Still i feel the passages being so long was probably why this was cut in half for space, and also thanks for reminding me i haven't started Episode 1b yet! oops.

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png