The Most Unloved Thing In all of Bionicle

fishers64

The fandom. 

That, and the Nuva and Inika masks.

I dislike the Nuva kanohi due to their goopy, tar-like consistency and their very un-Bionicle aesthetic. If the details had blunt edges like in earlier and later masks, I'd probably actually like them... But instead the details' edges are supremely bevelled, which has them bleed into each-other in a most ugly fashion. Explain this design decision away all you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it looks ugly when compared to later and earlier mask designs.

Speaking of later mask designs however, we come across an exception; the Inika's Kanohi. They had mouths with teeth, and were made of rubber. What genius thought that was a good idea exactly? No backwards or forwards compatibility, questionable design choices (The Hahlistache comes to mind)... I am ever so glad I only got one of those bloody things (Jaller's). It has since been sold. And again, they are terrible regardless of the scapegoat slice of canon generated to explain them away.

Oh, and reflecting back on G1, I also don't like the abolition of built-in mechanisms. Bionicle figures went from action packed toys which did stuff, to just toys with guns strapped onto them. To me, a Bionicle set without some semblance of a mechanism feels somewhat lifeless. Yes, launchers did somewhat fill that void, but as a centralised artefact - not part of the figures themselves. However, it doesn't really matter too much for me if the figure is quite small (See: The vast majority of Matoran).

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 1

The fandom. 

I dislike the Nuva kanohi due to their goopy, tar-like consistency and their very un-Bionicle aesthetic. If the details had blunt edges like in earlier and later masks, I'd probably actually like them... But instead the details' edges are supremely bevelled, which has them bleed into each-other in a most ugly fashion. Explain this design decision away all you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it looks ugly when compared to later and earlier mask designs.

Speaking of later mask designs however, we come across an exception; the Inika's Kanohi. They had mouths with teeth, and were made of rubber. What genius thought that was a good idea exactly? No backwards or forwards compatibility, questionable design choices (The Hahlistache comes to mind)... I am ever so glad I only got one of those bloody things (Jaller's). It has since been sold. And again, they are terrible regardless of the scapegoat slice of canon generated to explain them away.

Oh, and reflecting back on G1, I also don't like the abolition of built-in mechanisms. Bionicle figures went from action packed toys which did stuff, to just toys with guns strapped onto them. To me, a Bionicle set without some semblance of a mechanism feels somewhat lifeless. Yes, launchers did somewhat fill that void, but as a centralised artefact - not part of the figures themselves. However, it doesn't really matter too much for me if the figure is quite small (See: The vast majority of Matoran).

Eh. The Kakama, Miru and Kaukau were okay. The Hau to an extant. Inika masks were just flat out terribad

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

The fandom. 

Eh. The Kakama, Miru and Kaukau were okay. The Hau to an extant. Inika masks were just flat out terribad

I think that the face designs for the Inika look pretty nice, but the fact that they're not compatible with anything ruins it for me. 

Jaller's face is probably my least favorite, but I think that some like Matoro and Hewkii look really neat. Had they been designed differently, they could have been some really cool looking masks. 

bZpOwEr

The fandom. 

I think that the face designs for the Inika look pretty nice, but the fact that they're not compatible with anything ruins it for me. 

Jaller's face is probably my least favorite, but I think that some like Matoro and Hewkii look really neat. Had they been designed differently, they could have been some really cool looking masks. 

Yeah. The only reason the masks are terribad is the lack of compatibility is a deal breaker. Calix was bad, Kadin was pretty bad, and Kongu's mask is kinda bad because of the design. He looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon 

The fandom. 

Yeah. The only reason the masks are terribad is the lack of compatibility is a deal breaker. Calix was bad, Kadin was pretty bad, and Kongu's mask is kinda bad because of the design. He looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon 

Am I seriously the ​only person who likes every mask put out in the Bionicle line!? 

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

There are a lot, but if I had to guess, launchers in general, Inika molds being recycled, the serials not being finished, the change to yellow/orange from brown, and personally I never liked the BIONICLE Stars line.

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

Am I seriously the ​only person who likes every mask put out in the Bionicle line!? 

Probably, cause, you know, the adaptive Kaukau Nuva exists.

Guys, I've got a confession to make. 

I like the Adaptive Kaukau. 

In fact, I also like the Nuva masks. 

As well as a few of the Inika. 

• Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

Probably, cause, you know, the adaptive Kaukau Nuva exists.

Guys, I've got a confession to make. 

I like the Adaptive Kaukau. 

In fact, I also like the Nuva masks. 

As well as a few of the Inika. 

Adaptive Kaukau

You sir, either are very optimistic, or confused. I'm only kidding. To each their own. I like the Nuva Masks a lot. I love the Hordika. The Skull Villains are cool. The Glatorian were okay. I could go on, but I don't want my door being knocked down by angry fans :D

• Upvote 2

Adaptive Kaukau

You sir, either are very optimistic, or confused. I'm only kidding. To each their own. I like the Nuva Masks a lot. I love the Hordika. The Skull Villains are cool. The Glatorian were okay. I could go on, but I don't want my door being knocked down by angry fans :D

Oh, you should see me when I'm not talking about masks. I reach Denethor-levels of pessimism.  :P

To be honest, I can't think of any mask that I don't like, Glatorian helmets included. 

I don't really see masks as having to adhere to a specific set of rules as to whether they're ugly or not. The Adaptive Kaukau is unique in its own right. Sure, it's got a waffle iron for an eye, but that just adds to its uniqueness and originality. Sure, the Nuva Hau looks like it's half melted, but that makes it stand out from the crowd of otherwise flat and stiff-looking masks. 

One of the things that I've found as a Bionicle fan is that once you free your mind of thinking that masks have to conform to a certain level of coolness or iconicness or resemblance to a more iconic mask, the way you view the series as a whole becomes much less negative. 

Edited by Irrie: The Loremaster
  • Upvote 5

bZpOwEr

Adaptive Kaukau

Oh, you should see me when I'm not talking about masks. I reach Denethor-levels of pessimism.  :P

To be honest, I can't think of any mask that I don't like, Glatorian helmets included. 

I don't really see masks as having to adhere to a specific set of rules as to whether they're ugly or not. The Adaptive Kaukau is unique in its own right. Sure, it's got a waffle iron for an eye, but that just adds to its uniqueness and originality. Sure, the Nuva Hau looks like it's half melted, but that makes it stand out from the crowd of otherwise flat and stiff-looking masks. 

One of the things that I've found as a Bionicle fan is that once you free your mind of thinking that masks have to conform to a certain level of coolness or iconicness or resemblance to a more iconic mask, the way you view the series as a whole becomes much less negative. 

I don't really hate the Adaptive Kaukau, but to me, it didn't fit with the Nuva masks. Sure, it's kinda ugly, but I would use it. But definitely NOT for a Toa. Maybe a Makuta :D

To me, it just kind of looks *sinister*

• Upvote 2

Adaptive Kaukau

I don't really hate the Adaptive Kaukau, but to me, it didn't fit with the Nuva masks. Sure, it's kinda ugly, but I would use it. But definitely NOT for a Toa. Maybe a Makuta :D

To me, it just kind of looks *sinister*

Hm, I could see that working. 

I've always seen it as more of a Phantoka appropriate mask, it having the Valkyrie wings on the side. But now that I think of it, it would make a great villain mask. 

bZpOwEr

Am I the ONLY one who likes the Inika build? It was used so much because it's effective and simple for people to understand. If you're just looking for a quick build, it's there, and you don't have to use 20 pieces on a single joint.

• Upvote 1

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Am I the ONLY one who likes the Inika build? It was used so much because it's effective and simple for people to understand. If you're just looking for a quick build, it's there, and you don't have to use 20 pieces on a single joint.

LbC7pyk.png

• Upvote 2

bZpOwEr

It's pretty versatile, I will admit that.

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Gimmicks, gears, oversized launchers. Most of my favorite sets are the Titans, because the weapons look proportional, even if they use the same launchers as the Toas. Gears just turn into eyesores if you're not playing with them.

One could argue that the gears give a mechanical look, which makes sense, since most beings are biomechanical.

• Upvote 1

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

No, I had no problem with the build, or similar ones, such as the Piraka one. 

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

The prices.

Really, you think so? Bionicle has always been one of the lowest-priced LEGO series, all things considered, and that hasn't changed a bit with the reboot. Out of over 250 Bionicle sets released to date, only 40 were priced higher than $20, and only ten were priced higher than $50. No Bionicle set has EVER cost more than $90 at retail. Contrast LEGO City, one of the LEGO Group's current top-selling brands, which since its launch in 2005 has had thirty sets priced at $90 or higher, and seven this year alone!

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

The prices.

Really, you think so? Bionicle has always been one of the lowest-priced LEGO series, all things considered, and that hasn't changed a bit with the reboot. Out of over 250 Bionicle sets released to date, only 40 were priced higher than $20, and only ten were priced higher than $50. No Bionicle set has EVER cost more than $90 at retail. Contrast LEGO City, one of the LEGO Group's current top-selling brands, which since its launch in 2005 has had thirty sets priced at $90 or higher, and seven this year alone!

I dunno. guess it's really subjective--for someone who buys multiple sets (like me) at once, you can really tell how it stacks up. 

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

The prices.

Eh, for him, maybe it's expensive. Price is always a subjective topic, and while you have your facts straight, that doesn't make it less expensive to him. To me and you, it might not be so bad. But him, maybe. 

• Upvote 1

-The Doctor

I mean, $13 for an Inika build (which had been used for like 3-4 years at that point) is a bit pricy.

I mean, $13 for an Inika build (which had been used for like 3-4 years at that point) is a bit pricy.

Doesn't the fact that the Inika build was reused so many times mean that it was more successful than other builds?

bZpOwEr

The prices.

Eh, for him, maybe it's expensive. Price is always a subjective topic, and while you have your facts straight, that doesn't make it less expensive to him. To me and you, it might not be so bad. But him, maybe. 

I was understanding the "Most unloved thing" in the title to mean most unloved by fans in general, not most unloved by the respondents individually. That's how the first post asks it anyway: "What is the thing in all of Bionicle that you think the most people disliked?"

This is why I responded with "fragile joints/pieces breaking" — because it's a thing that nobody, under any circumstances, would consider a GOOD thing about Bionicle. By comparison, "the prices" are a thing some people would like, some people would dislike, and other people might be indifferent about, so it seems unlikely to me that prices are the thing that "the most people disliked". That doesn't mean that I expect everyone to be happy with the prices. But I think there are probably a significant number of fans who are.

However, I can see by a bunch of the replies in this topic that start with things like "For me," or "Personally," that a lot of people have been interpreting the topic's premise as "what do YOU most dislike most about Bionicle?" That is an interesting question in its own right, but not at all the question the topic is asking.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

Doesn't the fact that the Inika build was reused so many times mean that it was more successful than other builds?

Yeah, but since they had been in production for so long, I figured their price might have dropped a tad.

The prices.

Try collecting Lego Star Wars. Bionicle sets are dirt cheap in comparison. 

Ok, unfair comparison. But still, I think the prices are reasonable. 

Although the second hand market values are stupid. Especially the yellow Jetrax sealed. 

Edited by Craig B

The prices.

Try collecting Lego Star Wars. Bionicle sets are dirt cheap in comparison. 

Ok, unfair comparison. But still, I think the prices are reasonable. 

Although the second hand market values are stupid. Especially the yellow Jetrax sealed. 

I can confirm this

I got on eBay to look for a few things, and here are some prices

Tohunga(All were priced the same)-$20

Inika Hewkii-(Instructions included) $30

Skrall-$109.99 (!!!)

I really don't like it when someone who knows NOTHING about the line sells Bionicle. They label common sets as "Rare" and only with the instructions. It just makes it harder for me to have a hobby

• Upvote 1

Never go to eBay for BIONICLE sets.  Hundred-dollar price tags for a set you can get for ten bucks on BrickLink.

I'd add that if you're looking strictly for sealed sets that will probably make things more complicated for you than they really need to be. Bionicle was a really popular theme with kids, but I don't think there were a lot of adults buying sets and holding onto them as an investment. Especially not since after a few years as Bionicle fans, a lot of kids "grew out of it" and parted with their collections, flooding the aftermarket with cheap used sets and parts.

eBay can be a good place to buy Bionicle if you're looking for bulk parts lots being sold by people who don't know or care what's in them. But for buying specific parts or sets, LEGO-specific sites like BrickLink are usually the way to go.

• Upvote 1

The prices.

I was understanding the "Most unloved thing" in the title to mean most unloved by fans in general, not most unloved by the respondents individually. That's how the first post asks it anyway: "What is the thing in all of Bionicle that you think the most people disliked?"

This is why I responded with "fragile joints/pieces breaking" — because it's a thing that nobody, under any circumstances, would consider a GOOD thing about Bionicle. By comparison, "the prices" are a thing some people would like, some people would dislike, and other people might be indifferent about, so it seems unlikely to me that prices are the thing that "the most people disliked". That doesn't mean that I expect everyone to be happy with the prices. But I think there are probably a significant number of fans who are.

However, I can see by a bunch of the replies in this topic that start with things like "For me," or "Personally," that a lot of people have been interpreting the topic's premise as "what do YOU most dislike most about Bionicle?" That is an interesting question in its own right, but not at all the question the topic is asking.

Why do you think most people buy maybe one or a few of the Toa and not the whole wave when they say they want to?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Loose ends of the G1 story, 2007's brittle lime-green joints, G2's transition to CCBS, the Bohrok-Kal in general, Teridax's name being revealed, the Shadowed One's name NOT being revealed, some of Greg's answers, certain aspects of the fan community, gender ratios, lack of romance, plotholes/inconsistencies/oversights, the dark turn of the storyline 2006 and beyond, the Piraka Rap, Hahli Inika's non-feminine mustache, the movies deviating from set designs...

I don't agree with all of these things, obviously, but they're all things I've seen complaints about.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the fact that the Legend of Mata Nui was never released, all the complaints about BIONICLE Heroes, MNOLG2's bugs, the fact that G2 is not a continuation of G1, the simple fact that BIONICLE was ever cancelled at all, Invasion never being published, the trans-blue Mask of Water's rarity...

And a personal gripe: the Toa Mata Nui titan set being so blankety-blank expensive on the secondhand market. Why, oh why, did I not buy it when it was released?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water