[Review] 5002942 Bionicle Villain pack

Tremah

Thanks for the review and nice pictures!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Man, oh man. If this doesn't come stateside I'll be a salty sailor. I'm tempted to get like 10 of these things just to give stands to each of the golden masks so far. 

That's what I was thinking of doing, too.  I don't have all the Toa, and I don't plan on getting them all, but I can use the stands to display whatever golden masks come out that I'm interested in, like the MoF I have, and the MoC I'm getting, and the one that comes in this set in the first place, plus the masks of control, time and ultimate power once those come out.

I wonder what those leftover tabs on the top and bottom are for.  They just look like weird leftovers to me.

Also, it seems like it would have been better to use one of the short axles with a stop at the end to build that, so you don't have to disassemble the whole thing if the axle starts sinking and you want to pull it up without risking pulling it all the way out.  They even make them in the length that seems to be used here (4M), though not in black, and they use them in sets to this day, so I can't even cite discontinuation of the part as the reason.

In addition, the propeller piece used below the cardboard seems like it'd be better if it was attached upside-down, so the flat side can be against the cardboard underside.  Why they didn't do that is also puzzling.

Edited by Toa of the Blazing Inferno

Someone get a reporter here! Anyway, I don't like the way the mask holding part is built, some reviews said that the mask is too loose when attached and I can't find the link, but Lyichir posted a brickset link that shows off the piece he uses as a replacement.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Someone get a reporter here!

Wait, there, I see one! Tranquilize him and get him to do his job!

This looks quite intriguing. The folding stand looks nice, although it might've been cooler if it had been built out of actual Lego, but this looks more realistic, I guess. The golden mask looks nice too, and it's a decent color for the main villain. Thanks again for sharing these pictures!

:music:

• Upvote 4

Someone get a reporter here!

Wait, there, I see one! Tranquilize him and get him to do his job!

This looks quite intriguing. The folding stand looks nice, although it might've been cooler if it had been built out of actual Lego, but this looks more realistic, I guess. The golden mask looks nice too, and it's a decent color for the main villain. Thanks again for sharing these pictures!

:music:

I have finalized my design for a brick mask stand. When I get the pieces, I will make and post it.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

The stand looks cool and all, but can't we just have the mask? :P

The stand fills a void that was left by Lego showing the various gold masks on display pedestals, in the animations, while the pedestals themselves weren't available, hence the desire to get more than one of this set and use the pedestals with different masks.

Edited by Toa of the Blazing Inferno
  • Upvote 2

The stand fills a void that was left by Lego showing the various gold masks on display pedestals, in the animations, while the pedestals themselves weren't available, hence the desire to get more than one of this set and use the pedestals with different masks.

Fair point.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Wow! Very cool, dude!:D That is a nice color on the Skull Grinder mask! The stand looks very great. Both of them go very well together. I would be interested to buy this lovely polybag. Nice review!:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

It would have been waaay better if they released an acutal LEGO pedestal, rather than a cardboard one.

• Upvote 1

Maybe that was the preliminary version of this mask...
  • Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

It would have been waaay better if they released an actual LEGO pedestal, rather than a cardboard one.

Agreed, but I'll take what I can get.

• Upvote 1

It would have been waaay better if they released an acutal LEGO pedestal, rather than a cardboard one.

These are my thoughts as well. They could've easily released actual LEGO pieces to make a pedestal.

Edited by Evergrey_Toa

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I have to say, this is much neater than the Hero Pack. At least this one has something to build, and that something is a handy pedestal to display the mask! Can't ask for much more than that.

(Well you can but you know what that's besides the point)

Man, you're talking like putting legs on a Skull Spider isn't the pinnacle of the Bionicle building experience.

But yes this polybag looks really neat. I want it.

Also this means that, like...the Bull Skull Mask is literally the only mask from this year that has not been released in gold. That's a lot of gold masks.

• Upvote 9

AXKP5KC.png

I have to say, this is much neater than the Hero Pack. At least this one has something to build, and that something is a handy pedestal to display the mask! Can't ask for much more than that.

Man, you're talking like putting legs on a Skull Spider isn't the pinnacle of the Bionicle building experience.

Also this means that, like...the Bull Skull Mask is literally the only mask from this year that has not been released in gold. That's a lot of gold masks.

Bull Skull Mask is the only one without a golden form...for now...

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

So, it's time to tell where can you obtain this mask.

I think that you can get this polybag at Hamleys after you buy at least two Bionicle sets. At least this thing works in Moscow, can't say about the other cities or countries. I suppose this polybag will be available worldwide soon.

I think the mask is attached to the display wrong. The gray piece is meant to be inside the mask to help hold it up. 

Actually you're wrong. Not only the instruction says to place the piece outside (look closely at the 9th picture), but this piece is also doesn't hold anything up. I tried to place the mask the way you've suggested, but it doesn't work well.

I think that the grey piece just imitates the eyestalk.

Yes! I had the same thoughts about that!

Man, oh man. If this doesn't come stateside I'll be a salty sailor. I'm tempted to get like 10 of these things just to give stands to each of the golden masks so far. 

I assume it'll come someday.

If you want to see how other masks look on the pedestal, here's the photoset by LittleTaggy

http://vk.com/wall-976808_149099

• Upvote 1

Well I mean it would be, if I didn't already have several of that same Skull Spider color already.

I want a red one, darn it

• Upvote 2

Someone get a reporter here! Anyway, I don't like the way the mask holding part is built, some reviews said that the mask is too loose when attached and I can't find the link, but Lyichir posted a brickset link that shows off the piece he uses as a replacement.

Here ya go.

Anywho, I really like the idea of this pack. The papercraft mask stand may not be perfect, but the idea behind it is nice (anyone planning to pick up multiples and display all their masks this way?). And I'll never complain about yet another new mask recolor. I can't wait to see how this will be distributed in America!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So, it's time to tell where can you obtain this mask.

I think that you can get this polybag at Hamleys after you buy at least two Bionicle sets. At least this thing works in Moscow, can't say about the other cities or countries. I suppose this polybag will be available worldwide soon.

I think the mask is attached to the display wrong. The gray piece is meant to be inside the mask to help hold it up. 

Actually you're wrong. Not only the instruction says to place the piece outside (look closely at the 9th picture), but this piece is also doesn't hold anything up. I tried to place the mask the way you've suggested, but it doesn't work well.

I think that the grey piece just imitates the eyestalk.

Oh, I see it now.  :P  I thought that because of how the MoC is attached in the Skull Grinder vs Ekimu set. 

It may help the mask stay on if you attached it to the other side of the stand (the grey thing should hold it up).

hbdHmkqh.jpg

Edited by Mish

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI