Kopaka - He works alone

Hidron Nuva

I'm trying to practice a bit with my graphic tablet, so I made a quick sketch of Kopaka and colored it. He's always been my favourite character. And he works alone.

Note that lines are FAR from clean, might work on it in another moment but I kinda like as it is.

I'm trying to reach a good balance between human proportions and those of the set.

Click the thumbnail for the full image :D

kopaka.jpg   <-- Click me

Like it? Don't like it? Have some tips? Leave a comment :)

EDIT: Here's the original version with a longer neck, thanks for the tips!

Edited by Hidron Nuva
  • Upvote 7

hidron_nuva_idea.png

Oh now this is beautiful. The roughness of the lineart doesn't really detract from the picture, in my opinion, and the general composition of everything gives a very solid picture. I would, how ever, be very excited to see how it does look with clean lineart, but it's up to you if you want to work on it. Good job, Hidron.

• Upvote 1

You know, messy lines can be a style all their own. At least, that's what I tell myself when I post my own rough sketches. :P One of my favorite Bionicle artists, That-1-Cactus, has drawings that are far from clean. I think I really like it here. It adds to that whole rugged feel the rest of the piece has, and it adds a lot of detail that might be missing in the smooth armor plates.

As for the actual drawing, I love how it turned out. The proportions are spot on, and I like how you interpreted the armor pieces. The only issue I see is the neck is a little long.

• Upvote 2

Thank you all! I tried to shorten a little bit the neck, and make the head slighty bigger (the best part of digital art is that you can change whatever you want). If you like it, I might update the topic.

You know, messy lines can be a style all their own. At least, that's what I tell myself when I post my own rough sketches. :P One of my favorite Bionicle artists, That-1-Cactus, has drawings that are far from clean. I think I really like it here. It adds to that whole rugged feel the rest of the piece has, and it adds a lot of detail that might be missing in the smooth armor plates.

Yeah, I think that too. There's some kind of movement that is lost cleaning the lines (maybe because I'm not good enough at doing it yet). Thank you for sharing That-1-Cactus's tumblr, it's really interesting! I had seen some of his works around the internet but I didn't know the author.

Please make Pohatu with this feel; it would fit perfectly.

I was thinking I might do all of the Mata, I tried Gali but I'm not much satisfied with the result. Might upload it maybe. And then I'll start Pohatu :D

hidron_nuva_idea.png