Favorite Year of BIONICLE?

Bonkle

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is your favorite year of Bionicle, taking into account sets, comics, and other media? Please answer the poll and explain why in a reply.

Mine personally would be 2008. The Adaptive Armor is my favorite design for any Toa, and finding out that the Makuta were a species was cool. There were also a lot of cool sets released in 2008.

Edited by Bonkle

2001, I feel that the kanohi designs were more tribal with the gaps in the masks and while the rahi were the only good sets by today's standards, with the turaga, toa and Tohunga/matoran being mediocre, I liked their looks a lot.

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

2009. It was nice to see how creative and uniquely the Inika build was used in the Glatorian sets, making them probably one of my favorite waves. That, plus the Thornax launcher game and the vehicles.

And the story was amazing as well. The serials were one of Greg's bests, and we got a very good movie out of the year too. 

bZpOwEr

Suppose I'm odd, but I really enjoyed 2005. It was one of the first years that really gave the MU a sense of scale and history, but it hadn't yet hit the density of the lore of later years.

• Upvote 4

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

It was a tough choice for me, but I went with 2006. The Piraka were some of my favorite villains introduced in Bionicle. It also had the Toa Nuva, Axonn, Brutaka, Jaller and his friends becoming Toa Inika, and the Mask of Life. Plus, I really enjoyed the story for that year. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It's a close run between 01 02 and 03, but 03 wins to me because oh how it concluded its arc so well, while also opening a new one up perfectly. 

The sets were phenomenal, not including the Bohrok-Kal. Being that i was very young in 2003, being six, i didnt care that the Kal were just re-colored bohrok,i just thought they looked so cool. The Rahkshi were very eerie, obviously, and brought a new physical appearance to the line, looking in a way very organic as opposed to other bionicle sets of their time. The Titans had their best year ever if you dont count the Rahi in 01. Makuta, to this day, is still my favorite Titan, and i can remember my mom buying it for me on sale for $10.The box artwork on the titans were all very epic to me, setting up a contrast between light and dark, and the Kal and Rahkshi discs were so fun for me to browse through as a kid.

Just the ambient song on the discs is the single most nostalgic feeling i get from bionicle. 

I picked 2001. Sure, the sets were still pretty rudimentary, but they were also some of the most iconic. It also introduced many amazing Kanohi designs, including my favourite, the Kanohi Hau.

I wouldnt dare call the 01 sets rudimentary, being that there was nothing to compare them to, they all had extremely clever designs and functions. the matoran flinging disks is a fun gimmick, but a tiger whose head extends as its jaws widen and close is also very complex for its time, and even for today. This is why 2001 has to be my 2nd favorite year. 

• Upvote 1

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

I picked 2015. And I am not ashamed, because I mean it.

As a fan since 2001, I admire the new line even more than anything in G1. The sets are top notch awesomeness, the story is intriguing, and the marketing strategy is clever. I'm more engaged in Bionicle now than I ever was during the original run, and dare I say, I think the line's going to be a success.

• Upvote 5

Being honest, I have to say 2015 because the building experience and general experience is just so much better.

Of generation 1, 2007 without a doubt is my favorite of the years, good canister sets, great titans, unique in general, etc.

• Upvote 1

"She lost in me her credence..."
"But what's normal anyway?"
"Don't walk away... don't walk away..."

2002. The Bohrok remain some of my favourite sets, the Exo-Toa was magnificent and I found the story really interesting. Still simple, but adding increasing depth to everything we knew (or thought we knew). It was also interesting seeing the desperate measures people resorted to in order to stop the Bohrok rampaging through their homes.

• Upvote 2

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

2015 - same as FordianL a couple comments above, I'm more engaged in the new series than I was during any 2001 year, and far more impressed with the set quality and building system. I guess it helps that I was never that interested in the story.

Runner-ups would be 2008, closely followed by 2007.

IetTsFQ.png

While 2001 obviously has a strong nostalgic importance to me, I went with 2004. I found the story to be the best that year, being unique compared to other Bionicle years. The mystery was haunting and the Toa being branded criminals was an interesting twist.

The sets weren't bad either. The Toa Metru design was innovative and still my favorite.

I love just about all the years, with my top contenders being 01, 05, and 06. I ended up with 05 because I really like the single story arc of Vakama along with a dark storyline that really fleshed out the universe for other characters and events, and paved a way to 06. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

2007. I love scuba-diving IRL, and the set designs of the Toa were amazing. TLC used the pipe very well. And (IMO) the 2007 Titans were the best of all the titans.

Istilllikethe2006titanstho

• Upvote 1

gb_civil_war_ara_banner_2.jpg 
Proud Graphics Artist.
Current 2015 collection:

I have them all :P

green = all, blue = partial, black = none

Only non-promotionals counted

2001 all the way!

Though I did love the years of 2002 - 2003 - 2006 - 2007 and of course 2015, though I did like 2010 a bit.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

2002 is perfect. Here's why.

We start off right after the already fantastic year of 2001 and dive head-first into the Mata Nui we know and love, but there's a slight change. Ravenous swarms of mechanical, mutated Av-Matoran with elemental powers have flooded the island and immediately start leveling and crumbling it. The Toa have internal conflict, the Matoran really come into their own and the Bohrok themselves are great villains, even if they are actually on Mata Nui's side. 

I just felt like 2002 was 2001 plus bug swarms, another Lewa possession and a real sense of danger and intensity. That's all I could ask for.

• Upvote 1

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

2008. The 2006-2008 story has always been my favorite and who could forget the ending with Teridax forming the Kraahkan in the stars over Metru Nui and proclaiming that he won, and he's banished Mata Nui?! Even though I know what happens afterwards, I still love that scene in the comics. 

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

• 2 weeks later...

I voted 2006. It was the year that brought me back after I drifted away sometime in 2005. (I was so sick of the Metru stuff.) However, 2015 brought me back also, but I am not as fond of the summer wave and the lack of story content I've experienced. (I have yet to receive the latest book in the mail, so I'll rejudge after I've read it.)

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I've narrowed my choices down to 2002, 2006, and 2008. 2002, but I would have to go with 2006. Yeah, the first years of Bionicle were just incredible, and 2008 brought about a certain big revelation (plus those vehicles though), but 2006 just reinvigorated Bionicle, from the story to the set designs. The villains were finally something other than swarms/animals/robots/etc., we got some interesting Matoran designs, and we saw some old characters return as the then-current heroes. 

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

2008 was the year that the Toa Nuva truly returned, and it was the year that Bionicle evolved into what people recognize G1 as today.

It had multiple story serials, a number of entertaining books, more amazing work by Ghost, and great illustrations in the comics. It also arguably was Bionicle's biggest year in terms of story. Mata Nui's true reveal was amazingly well-done.

If we're strictly talking about the quality of the sets, I probably have to give it to this year's. In terms of playability, they stand head and shoulders above most things we saw in G1, and the overall attention to detail is astounding.

My personal favorite is definitely the '07 line though. The underwater theme was really conducive to a lot of cool stuff regarding both story and set variety. There was so much variation between every set, and the Titans were arguably the best we ever got.

Edited by Toa Axis

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.- Toa Kopaka

2008 was definitely my favourite. That year was sort of an ending/new beginning for me in my own life, and the way that year's Bionicle storyline reflected that so similarly has really stuck with me through all these years. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

2005. Mutant Toa. Evil spiders. Sidorak. Web of shadows. Vakama doing tons of really dark stuff. Most of my favorite things in bionicle all came from one year. I know this opinion isn't very popular, but I stand by it. This was the year I was most into bionicle as a younger person, before I entered my dark ages.

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

'08 followed by '07.

2008 was the culmination of all of Bionicle up until that point. The double-plot twist was amazing, we got our original heroes back, and it just felt like one final effort for the Bionicle universe. Setwise, we had strong Titans (Icarax, Takanuva), amazing new Battle Vehicles, and as much as people may lambast the overuse of grey/silver and shoddy joints, the '08 Toa were pretty amazing in my opinion. Unique villains and fresh twists on the old heroes. 

2007 - clone sets were pretty much out the door and the underwater setting was so cool. Also, Matoro's sacrifice cannot be forgotten. 

I almost put 2015. Discovering the return of Bionicle was one of the happiest things in my life. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I really liked 2007. While the Mahri kind of began the trend of re-using older builds like the Inika or Piraka, I thought they were much better than the Inika overall. I thought it was ironic that the Inika looked more like the Toa I thought they would be after being transformed a second time, and I was happy to see the return of the Metru heads in canister sets. The Barraki were just what Bionicle needed after wave after wave of clone sets. While they mostly had simple builds, each one had his own unique build that made them stand out from the rest, to me it was very refreshing since every wave of villains before were clones, even the Piraka who each had their own personality were all clones. It was nice to see that the sets themselves were varied like the characters. The titans were fantastic as well, giving us the (sort of) return of Makuta. Maxilos to this day remains one of my favorite titans because of how unique and complex the build was, breaking from the standard Inika-build in favor of something far more interesting. Even Hydraxon who was very much the "play it safe" titan was still interesting enough despite being pretty simple as far as titans go. It makes me think the Piraka feet were probably designed with the piston system in mind. 2007 also saw the return of brighter colors which I personally really missed after years of the darker colors. I thought the "Metru red/green/blue" were pretty uninteresting colors to be honest, and the return of time green brought back the vibrant feel from the 01-03 sets. Sure Jaller was still dark red, but the combination of that with orange felt more interesting.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

I've been a fan since 2001, but I truthfully enjoy 2015 more. Most years didn't have any true story content during the Winter Wave. This is one of the first times we've ever gotten a dramatic tale with a brief conclusion that has a fundamental connection to the second half of the year like this. It really makes the first part of the year shine rather than having invisible non-set enemies (looking at you 2004) and quarrels that weren't interesting at all. I've also come to love the animation style and the sets themselves, they're everything I had ever wanted from BIONICLE back when I was a kid, and I enjoy it just as much as I would have. I'm collecting as much as I can currently, and later in life when I have my own kids I'll sit down with them and read the books, telling them about the Legend of Okoto. I'll also slowly give them my old sets whenever they're feeling down or having a rough time, and tell them about their bravery and persistence as heroes. "A wise Toa once said: It's what you do that makes you a hero"

Edited by Tarvaxx

I've been a fan since 2001, but I truthfully enjoy 2015 more. Most years didn't have any true story content during the Winter Wave. This is one of the first times we've ever gotten a dramatic tale with a brief conclusion that has a fundamental connection to the second half of the year like this. It really makes the first part of the year shine rather than having invisible non-set enemies (looking at you 2004) and quarrels that weren't interesting at all. I've also come to love the animation style and the sets themselves, they're everything I had ever wanted from BIONICLE back when I was a kid, and I enjoy it just as much as I would have. I'm collecting as much as I can currently, and later in life when I have my own kids I'll sit down with them and read the books, telling them about the Legend of Okoto. I'll also slowly give them my old sets whenever they're feeling down or having a rough time, and tell them about their bravery and persistence as heroes. "A wise Toa once said: It's what you do that makes you a hero"

Wasn't that the announcer trying to push the Inika?

Wasn't that the announcer trying to push the Inika?

That was Kopaka in MoL. ;)

• 2 weeks later...