Bfa Plays

Bfahome

The strange thing this time is that, since I've already completed this level (both in story mode and in freeplay mode), I was able to identify some missed opportunities where you could have very easily been able to collect a few other things (and yes, you really did miss an already accessible area where you could have gotten a couple things). Also, in that additional room you stumbled into earlier, what you're supposed to do with those red boxes is carry them to the perched owl, who will then fly away with it and you will then be able to purchase a special ability associated with that box.

For my progress in this game, I've already completed all 24 levels, both story mode and freeplay mode, so now all I have left to do is finish exploring Hogwarts to collect all the remaining items left to find. Due to my fears that I could potentially end up trapped in one of those rooms, I decided to watch some other videos of someone else going through everything so I could be prepared to hopefully reach 100% game completion. Trust me, even with the help of a guide, you really need to figure out where you can unlock characters with certain abilities, such as someone who can use dark magic.

Anyway, even though I'm sure you have no interest in going for 100% completion like me, I did find out in the other videos I watched that there are a few places in exploring Hogwarts where you'll end up seeing some cutscenes not part of the main story. First, in the lessons hallway (the room with doors into the many different classrooms), go into the room upstairs to the right (near the bubbling cauldron, but don't use it as you'll need all three of the standard characters in the room), where you will have to learn the transfiguration spell. All the other cutscenes will be in Hagrid's garden. First, you must help Ron when he ends up barfing up slugs. After that's done, return to Hagrid's garden, find, build, and use the time turner, and your next task will be to help Hagrid hatch a dragon egg. Of course, you don't really have to do any of this, but I thought I'd point them out in case you were interested.

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Also, in that additional room you stumbled into earlier, what you're supposed to do with those red boxes is carry them to the perched owl, who will then fly away with it and you will then be able to purchase a special ability associated with that box.

Wow that's not even remotely intuitive.

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like that'll be it for a while.

If you thought the way you had to collect those red boxes was a hassle, switching characters is even worse (at least when you're exploring the hub areas). Those golden bubbling cauldrons are literally the only places where you're able to switch characters, which means that if you enter certain rooms and you don't have the right type of characters already chosen, then you could very well end up trapped in those rooms with no way out. (At least when you replay the levels in freeplay mode, you're free to switch characters whenever you want, so long as you know which button to hit.)

The way you described this game as "an acquired taste" is something I find myself agreeing with, after my own experience playing through this game. As far as I know, this is the only Lego game where, if you make certain mistakes, it will become technically impossible to fully complete the game, and your only solution is to literally restart from the very beginning, which is why I currently regard this as my least favorite Lego game of all. I successfully achieved 100% completion, and that will very likely be the only time I ever play this game.

The other Lego Harry Potter game, Years 5-7, seems to have taken steps to prevent such issues, but the way I see it, it's easy to see why there are very few Lego games that use the "collect tokens to unlock characters" design system.

• 2 weeks later...

CHOO CHOO BUCKAROO, WHO'S READY TO TAKE THE FAST TRAIN TO COMPUTER FUN??

e: Just to be clear, due to the difficulty of actually recording the game, this won't be running as a full series.  Sorry for any disappointment, I know a lot of you were probably looking forward to a lot more of this.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

So this really old Lego game is more of a sandbox type of game with no real objective other than build whatever you want, right? I never got this game, though I could easily see my 8 year old self might've enjoyed playing this game a lot back in the day. Based on what I saw in this video, my favorite aspect of this game would have to be interacting with the minifigures walking around (the gibberish they speak was something I found particularly funny).