Can Toa of Plasma Control Lightning and Other Things?

Well, something many science teachers neglected to mention was that there are 4 states of matter. That fourth one is plasma, as you may know, which is basically super-heated gas. Lightning is plasma, and despite you being told the sun is a ball of gas, it's actually a ball of plasma. If our sun is made of plasma, that means every other star is plasma, right? Which means there's quite a bit of plasma in the universe.

Can Toa of Plasma control the universe itself? Are they more powerful than the bearer of the Mask of Creation? Are they the ultimate and superior Toa? Do they have a terrible color scheme?

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Most likely not, the elements tend to function by behavior and not use real world physics, otherwise we'd have toa like Gali controlling ice or Kopaka creating water because they are technically controlling the same thing.

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Yes, plasma is gas heated to the extent which it no longer acts as a gas, and is therefore a new state of matter.

Lightning is NOT plasma, it is a discharge of electricity that has the potential to heat up the air to the extent which it becomes plasma.

Yes, stars are made of plasma, but they are so massive, I doubt any number of Su-Toa would be able to control a star. Even if they could, most of the universe (by volume) is vacuum, so a Toa of plasma would not be able to "control" the universe.

BS01 says plasma is represented by orange and white, which I think is pretty cool as long as you have some dark grey in there.

Otherwise, plasma is one of the cooler (as in hotter) elements.

• Upvote 1

I doubt they could control the universe. Even if they weren't inside a giant robot, like after arriving at Spherus Magna, I think the sun, and any star, would be too far away. He might be able to draw power from the sun slightly, but I doubt it would do much.
And no, he couldn't control lightning. At least, I don't believe he would. We already have a Toa of Lightning/Electricity. And just like the Toa of Water can't control ice, and vice versa, I don't think a plasma Toa could control lightning.

• Upvote 1

~Xeo~

Well, something many science teachers neglected to mention was that there are 4 states of matter. That fourth one is plasma, as you may know, which is basically super-heated gas. Lightning is plasma, and despite you being told the sun is a ball of gas, it's actually a ball of plasma. If our sun is made of plasma, that means every other star is plasma, right? Which means there's quite a bit of plasma in the universe.

Can Toa of Plasma control the universe itself? Are they more powerful than the bearer of the Mask of Creation? Are they the ultimate and superior Toa? Do they have a terrible color scheme?

Thoughts?

Fire is also plasma.

They do have a terrible colour scheme.

I guess if they were that powerful, it would explain their rarity.

Well, something many science teachers neglected to mention was that there are 4 states of matter.

There are far more states of matter than four, but that is something that forum members often neglect to mention. ;)

I'd imagine that a Toa of Plasma wouldn't be able to get close enough to a star for its plasma to come into range of control before they melted from the star's heat. Even if they could, they would only be able to control a small portion of it at a time.

Creation is still better than a Toa of Plasma, because you can use it to create two Toa of Plasma. :P

• Upvote 2
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

since everyone else is covering all the obvious bases i guess i'm gonna be the one who says:

Plasma's colorscheme is cool (well, hot) and the orange and white is a nice set of unique colors that convey the feeling of superheated gas rather well, i'm honestly not sure what other colorscheme could do that without overstepping fire. :0

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

since everyone else is covering all the obvious bases i guess i'm gonna be the one who says:

Plasma's colorscheme is cool (well, hot) and the orange and white is a nice set of unique colors that convey the feeling of superheated gas rather well, i'm honestly not sure what other colorscheme could do that without overstepping fire. :0

white and purple?

bBhcfWO.png

Well, something many science teachers neglected to mention was that there are 4 states of matter.

There are far more states of matter than four, but that is something that forum members often neglect to mention. ;)

I'd imagine that a Toa of Plasma wouldn't be able to get close enough to a star for its plasma to come into range of control before they melted from the star's heat. Even if they could, they would only be able to control a small portion of it at a time.

Creation is still better than a Toa of Plasma, because you can use it to create two Toa of Plasma. :P

I know that there's more than 4. There's like 30 more or something like that.

And to everyone else, I was kidding about the color scheme thing. I actually do like the combination of orange and white.

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

white and purple?

Orange, White, and Blue.

Broncos FTW!!!

I'm going to go with no, not because it logically makes sense, but actually because it's already happened with Toa of Stone not being able to control sand. Also, a lightning element already exists, thus adding to much overlap. 

Edited by Guardian Legend

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

I remember asking Greg a loooong time ago about whether Toa of Plasma could control lightning or fire and the answer was basically "No, thats not how the physics in the BIONICLE universe work." Which is a pretty typical Greg answer but it makes sense that they wouldn't be OP.

Edited by Cyrix

[Cyrix]

A single Toa of Plasma would be overwhelmed if he(?) attempted to manipulate a star. It's the same reason Toa of Water can't control the entire ocean on Aqua Magna. Though, Toa of Plasma can create miniature stars and manipulate that.

Funny enough, Toa of Magnetism should, in theory, be about to manipulate plasma as well. 

Edited by Dunkleosteus-San

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

As I said in the Earth vs Stone debate, it's all about the behavior of the individual elements. While they are scientifically categorized that way by us, there's no reason the GB's have to follow our rules, and rather determined that Plasma would be too powerful if it included those other elements, so they split up the abilities of Plasma as a whole and put two into their own category and gave what was left to the Su-Toa.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

• 2 weeks later...

Toa of Lightning exist and Toa of Fire exist, so Toa of Plasma can control neither, due to rules set by the story team preventing Toa from becoming more powerful.

As for color scheme, according to BS01:

Physical attributes of Su-Matoran include orange and white armor and Kanohi.

This also applies to Toa and Turaga of Plasma.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Although a Toa of Lightning and Toa of Plasma could work together to extreme effect, with the Lightning powers creating an electric current and the Plasma powers creating a superconductive channel for that current.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I didn't think it looked good at first, but after MOCing a Toa of Plasma, the color scheme grew on me. Some white, orange, and trans orange actually look fairly decent.

• Upvote 1

About the colour scheme though, how many people are there who dislike it? I'm one of them. Maybe it's because I've never been able to work with the scheme (or find decent examples of it when I decide to google plasma-element people).

Awww, but I love our orange-cream sherbet-colored Toa! *brick'd*

• Upvote 1

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

About the colour scheme though, how many people are there who dislike it? I'm one of them. Maybe it's because I've never been able to work with the scheme (or find decent examples of it when I decide to google plasma-element people).

Awww, but I love our orange-cream sherbet-colored Toa! *brick'd*

Same here, it's not bad. I also think purple would look good with it (maybe a light shade).

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Lightning is not plasma.
Fire is not plasma.

Fire is electrons "jumping ouf of orbit" and lightning is electrons falling, this is of course simplified. But my point is that fire and lighning are basically electric phenomenons and have nothing to do with plasma. Plasma is IONIZED GAS. So no, they wouldn't be able to do anything the other ones can do.

In bionicle, Fire, Plasma, and Lightning are all different things, but IRL they are all plasmas.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

The weakly ionized plasma we call Fire is a sustained combustion reaction. One might think of Fire Toa and other Fire Elementals as being able to control that combustion reaction at will, even willfully causing it in situations which would normally make it highly difficult (see Jaller Mahri making flame underwater), when it comes to the manifestation of flame. The plasma created is a by product of the combustion and heat these beings control.

Lightning is a massive discharge of electrical energy which causes the air to heat into a plasma from the sheer amount of charge being shot through it. The plasma is very short lived. Toa of Lightning don't control Lightning per se, though they can cause it to manifest. They control the electric charge behind the lightning strike.

Toa of Plasma simply create super-heated, ionized gas at a whim. They don't control the electrical manifestation or the heat it gives off, nor the combustion that heat/charge might cause. Huh, that makes me wonder: if a Toa creates a sufficiently ionized plasma, would that plasma accidentally give off random, non-user controllable electric arcs?

Oh, and all three powers will give off light, but that's as a side effect of the nature of their powers. Light itself is for Toa of Light, as you might imagine =D

• Upvote 1

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

There's no elemental overlap whatsoever with Toa powers. Just as Water is exclusively liquid water and Ice is exclusively frozen water, just as Earth is exclusively dirt and Stone is exclusively rock, Plasma has no power over typical fire, lightning, stars, or anything of the like. It's basically the stuff fired from your typical sci-fi Plasma Cannon/Rifle/Pistol/Blaster. Just that, and nothing else.

• Upvote 1

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I like to think Toa of Plasma also have power over the energy flowing through biomechanical beings' bodies, which could be a kind of cool plasma (those really exist). They could use that power to make beings more tired or more energetic.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Okay, this is how it boils down to, again:

Fire is not plasma. It is oxidation in an exo-thermic and light giving reaction that can create small amounts of plasma, but it is not totally plasma.

Lightning is not plasma. Lightning is electricity on a massive scale that produces sound, heat and light via it's interaction with atoms in the atmosphere, some of which become plasma for several seconds.

Neither of them are plasma, but both produce it on a small scale.

• Upvote 1

Thoughts?

Well, I doubt Toa of Plasma can actually control stars. That strikes me as a bit past their power range. Not to mention that the star would be completely inaccessible to them millions of miles away on a planet's surface.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

How about this: Plasma is, by definition, composed of ionized particles, which are magnetic. Wouldn't, by extension, toa of magnetism be able to control existing plasma?

Technically, maybe. Including the fact that plasmoids are little bits of plasma wrapped in magnetic fields, if I'm not remembering things wrong, I'm sure they would be able to.

... But Bionicle physics, which states that ice is a conductor of electricity, would probably nullify this.

wake_up_sheeple.png

How about this: Plasma is, by definition, composed of ionized particles, which are magnetic. Wouldn't, by extension, toa of magnetism be able to control existing plasma?

Technically, maybe. Including the fact that plasmoids are little bits of plasma wrapped in magnetic fields, if I'm not remembering things wrong, I'm sure they would be able to.

... But Bionicle physics, which states that ice is a conductor of electricity, would probably nullify this.

Couldn't impure ice theoretically be a conductor?

That's impure water you're thinking of. Water conducts electricity when impure because ions are present in it, and can allow electrons to flow through it (sorta). In the case of impure ice, no ions are formed because the ice is, well, solid. And salts can't really dissolve in solids to form ions.

wake_up_sheeple.png

That's impure water you're thinking of. Water conducts electricity when impure because ions are present in it, and can allow electrons to flow through it (sorta). In the case of impure ice, no ions are formed because the ice is, well, solid. And salts can't really dissolve in solids to form ions.

Ah, that makes sense.