Miniature Mata Nui Totem Cold Cast

The Cartographer

So, this project has been on my "want to do" list for quite a while, and I've finally gotten around to sharing pictures of my progress so far. I'll start by saying that I've had zero experience working with silicone or resin before now, and this is my first ever attempt at making a mold of anything.

Anyway, I wanted to make a Mata Nui stone/totem, similar to what is seen in the comics and mini movies to represent the Great Spirit. I started with a  small model to test the process, and it turned out pretty good.  The pieces I've made so far have been cold casted with aluminum powder. Once I've had a bit more practice, I'm going to try casting cement pieces for a more authentic stone look.

For my first attempt, I coated the inside of the mold with a thin layer of powder before casting, which (I believe) resulted in a pocket of air/powder at the base of the mold (the top of the piece). I decided not to pre-coat the mold for the second cast, and the result was a much darker version without any major hiccups. By the third try I was able to eliminate much of the seam and tiny air bubbles that were present in the first casts, but it's still not perfect.  In the album, the first picture is of the last cast (unfinished).  When I have a little more time I will try to put up some thumbnails so there's not as much clicking to do.

For now, here is the link to the entire album (good luck :P): https://flic.kr/s/aHskjhP8aa

Update:

This past weekend I had a little time and decided to create a new totem mold to allow the cast to sit upright.  The process is partially documented on DeviantArt, but the final photos are also posted below (I am going to see how the autoscaling works, and may just end up linking back to the album).  I'm pretty happy with how the new mold came out.  I fixed a few things that bothered me about the first one, but of course the this one isn't perfect either.  Personally, the eyes are not as symmetrical as I'd like them to be (something I made worse by digging at them with a  razor blade >.<), and the "nose" line seems a bit too wide to me.  Everything considered, it sits upright and I'm happy.  I also went hiking this weekend and found some pieces of natural coal, which I may try to use to create the shape the Makuta stone.

009_by_josephkarins-d9cxajf.jpg

010b_by_josephkarins-d9cxak8.jpg

That's it!  Thanks for looking!  Comments, questions and criticism are always appreciated!

Edited by The Cartographer
  • Upvote 10

Vitruvian_Sig_03.png

This is pretty cool! Given their size, if you altered the mold to contain a ring at the top, you could potentially turn it into a necklace and sell them. I'd buy one! :D

I'd think no mould alteration is required, since they could just drill a hole in the top and screw in an eye-hook. o:

Very true. Might even be sturdier than my suggestion.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

• 3 weeks later...

This is great! :) The mold is a perfect recreation of the old Mata Nui stones! It's accurate, but it still has that weathered, elemental feel.  Keep up the awesome work when you can! :)

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind having one, I'd place it next to the little statue of Yoda I have on my shelf.

Great job with these! now for the ultimate challenge: The Makuta Stone...

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Thanks all, for the encouraging responses. I haven't had a lot of time lately to try anything different, though I'd like to make an updated sculpture to allow the totem to sit on a flat surface. Originally I wanted to have something that looked like it wasn't "made" to sit nicely on flat ground -- something that looks like it was created using a [perfectly shaped :P] rock off the beach. Seeing as that won't be practical for display purposes, I'm going to recreate it with a flattened bottom.

Very nice. Now go grab a shard of obsidian glass and pretend to be Vakama.

I wouldn't mind having one, I'd place it next to the little statue of Yoda I have on my shelf.

Great job with these! now for the ultimate challenge: The Makuta Stone...

I really want to create a Makuta Stone to go along with this little guy, but I'm not sure how I'd go about it. I'm thinking I could use a translucent resin with a very, very dark red dye. If I could somehow sculpt a replica out of obsidian, that would be amazing! One of these weekends when I have some time, I'll try to at least get a positive made.

That's pretty neat. It's very accurate in terms of molding, but the slightly different metallic color is a nice touch that I welcome. It's sure to give off a nicer reflection than it would with the more tan-ish color it has throughout old Bionicle media.

This is great! :) The mold is a perfect recreation of the old Mata Nui stones! It's accurate, but it still has that weathered, elemental feel.  Keep up the awesome work when you can! :)

It neat seeing the different patterns created with each cast. It was my intention to use cement/concrete only, to give it a very stone-like representation. When I saw what cold casts looked like, I was very excited to try it. It's all I've used so far, and I love it.  I did make one attempt at casting using cement, and it didn't turn out half-bad, but I hate the seams. The next mold will not have seams. The "whiskers" will be higher up on the face for the next mold, I think that's the only design major flaw.

It looks great! Nice work :3

That's high praise coming from you!   :P

This is pretty cool! Given their size, if you altered the mold to contain a ring at the top, you could potentially turn it into a necklace and sell them. I'd buy one! :D

I'd think no mould alteration is required, since they could just drill a hole in the top and screw in an eye-hook. o:

I've considered jamming an eye-hook into the top of one, I'm not even sure if tapping a hole would be necessary. My mom asked me if it was supposed to be a cat. She wanted one made into a necklace, which I thought was funny.

I've thought about selling them, but I'd have to nail down a process first, which probably won't happen anytime soon. I do have plans to make a sort of Kanohi display stand, but that's down the list a ways.

Edited by The Cartographer

Vitruvian_Sig_03.png

• 4 weeks later...