[MOC] CCBS Chess, Light vs Dark (LDD Collab Project)

BrickPharaoh

Thanks for posting this over here Mohamed Marei!  :D I'll be lifting your Light character descriptions and inserting them into the MOC post on EB btw. I'm really proud of how this turned out, and you know what, I'm always up for another LDD collab project. It was fun. You can also look at this Brickshelf folder for some prototypes of some of my pieces, such as the original stand, and what my dark Rook, Queen and King originally looked like  :)

The Dark Knight(no not batman) I don't like so much, It just looks a bit... Awkward.

I'll be honest with you... even I'm not a big fan of how it turned out (and I'm the designer!), but I think it's down to the sloppy posing just to get the model within the constraints of the 18x18 footprint to avoid it colliding with other models. It doesn't help when it's against Mohamed's fabulous Griffin I admit :P  But all that considered, my Knight doesn't look nearly so awkward when it's on all fours  ;)

And isn't the Batman reference a joke I used in my own piece descriptions?  :P

• Upvote 1

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

How the heck do you make your own profile invisible to others, Veyronian? 

I like the idea of making the pawns more interesting and while the mutant ghost horse knight s a cool looking piece, I don't feel like it fits in since... Well, it's a horse and horses aren't insects. The rest of the models are impressive and I like the work that you and Mohammed put into this CCBS chess set. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

How the heck do you make your own profile invisible to others, Veyronian? 

I like the idea of making the pawns more interesting and while the mutant ghost horse knight s a cool looking piece, I don't feel like it fits in since... Well, it's a horse and horses aren't insects. The rest of the models are impressive and I like the work that you and Mohammed put into this CCBS chess set. 

Until the day comes where you can disable whether or not others can rate your profile, my profile stays hiddden unless I've added you as a friend. Call me weird. It's blank anyway because I'm too lazy to write a profile busy building awesome things  :P

But anyway, the more I look at my own Knight, the more I want to scrap it and start again even though the entire project is complete, because you. Maybe a giant dragonfly and rider MOC from me is in order. Why I didn't think of this before I don't know  :D

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

Mata Nui, this is fantastic!

It looks a little odd that the dark knight's rider doesn't really actually seem to be riding him, and the dark queen's waist seems a bit disjointed, but I'm hard pressed to come up with any other quibbles. The griffin and light queen are probably my favorites, for the incredible shaping I wasn't even sure was possible in LDD, and I also really like the dark bishop - he simply looks very solid and intimidating, especially wielding a club of skulls. I'll also point out that the usage of spacers and ball joints on the light bishop's staff is a marvelous way to spruce up an otherwise boring axle, and Meltdown's head as the king's beard touches genius.

Overall, a work truly inspiring, especially given often difficult digital medium in which it was devised. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this hit the front page. Great job, you two.

• Upvote 4

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

Huge thanks to all of you who have had things to say about this project! Be certain that this is not the only Collab we'll be doing together. Stay tuned for more coming soon(ish)!

:tohu:

• Upvote 1

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

• 3 weeks later...

During a Skype session with The~1st~Shadow, we tried calculating how much this would cost... the answer? Over $1000.

This is a monumental feat, and I'm still impressed by it every time I see it. Nothing I say could do it justice. This is a work of pure art. Thank you and keep up the good work.

• Upvote 1

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Wow! Now this is an incredible piece of art. It's truly a Masterpiece, a Masterpiece made of LEGO Pieces! I would buy some of these guys if LEGO ever made a series, but that's just dreaming. I love the color schemes. The variety is so big, There is Black all the way to Sand Blue! Some of the building techniques are really innovative and neat, such as the use of some masks and heads (the Furno 3.0 or Metus helmet/mask as the griffin's "crown", and as another member mentioned, the Meltdown head) . Overall, this MOC may just be my favorite MOC I've seen on BZP so far. Great Job guys!

Vote in the 2016 Set Poll! 3 Votes Maximum. http://strawpoll.me/6685187/r

I would like to see some of the characters up on Lego Ideas so they could possibly be made into real sets. I would absolutely buy the whole chess board and characters if it was made into a set. I really do suggest you put some up on Lego Ideas, especially the light faction pawns, bishop and knight. Plus the pawns for the dark faction but I like the trans red version.

I tried to download the file for the whole chess board but when I went into build guide mode it crashed LDD. I think it might just be because of all the bricks in it. So I would suggest that you just download the individual files for each one if you want to see how they're built.

Edit: Double post merged.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

• 5 weeks later...

I have no words to describe this. Just one rook would amaze me... now 31 other pieces? Wow.

Grats on getting featured, this absolutely deserves it. A large-scale chess set is an amazing idea for a MOC, and it came out fantastic. Every piece is so intricate!

Wow! Now this is an incredible piece of art. It's truly a Masterpiece, a Masterpiece made of LEGO Pieces! I would buy some of these guys if LEGO ever made a series, but that's just dreaming. I love the color schemes. The variety is so big, There is Black all the way to Sand Blue! Some of the building techniques are really innovative and neat, such as the use of some masks and heads (the Furno 3.0 or Metus helmet/mask as the griffin's "crown", and as another member mentioned, the Meltdown head) . Overall, this MOC may just be my favorite MOC I've seen on BZP so far. Great Job guys!

I would like to see some of the characters up on Lego Ideas so they could possibly be made into real sets. I would absolutely buy the whole chess board and characters if it was made into a set. I really do suggest you put some up on Lego Ideas, especially the light faction pawns, bishop and knight. Plus the pawns for the dark faction but I like the trans red version.

I tried to download the file for the whole chess board but when I went into build guide mode it crashed LDD. I think it might just be because of all the bricks in it. So I would suggest that you just download the individual files for each one if you want to see how they're built.

Edit: Double post merged.

-Wind-

Ho-lee... this is breathtaking. I can't believe the scale you managed to achieve with this project. This much have taken so much patience... I really have no words. You blew my mind.

I'd love this to be sitting on my table. It's just... glorious!

During a Skype session with The~1st~Shadow, we tried calculating how much this would cost... the answer? Over $1000.

This is a monumental feat, and I'm still impressed by it every time I see it. Nothing I say could do it justice. This is a work of pure art. Thank you and keep up the good work.

Precisely the reason (or one thereof) we know this wouldn't be suitable as a LEGO Ideas project :P

Thank you so much guys! Word of caution: Unless your PC is powerful enough it probably wouldn't be a great idea to try and open the whole file. It took us ages to stitch it together because of how heavy and complex the whole thing was!

If anyone has ideas for future collaborations we'd definitely like to hear them! Just PM me or TheOneVeyronian, and we'll try and work over some stuff in December/January time.

Thanks again!

:tohu:

Edited by Mohamed Marei

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

• Black Six featured this topic
  • 4 weeks later...