How you refer to pieces

Bonkle

This is sort of an odd topic, but it's something that interests me. So obviously all LEGO pieces have their official names, and some have commonly used fan names. But are there any names you use for certain pieces?

For example, I refer to the "Agori Head" as the "Hero Factory Head" because it was used on 1.0 Heroes which I knew about before Bara Magna.

The same goes for "Bohrok eyes", I call them "Trifighter eyes", because I got the Star Wars trifighter set before I knew of the Bohrok.

It's rather quite a long list, seeing as before gaining any sort of way to find the official names of pieces, I gave them all names of my own, so that I could remind myself what I was looking for.

Examples of the names I gave parts include:

One by Two flat

One by Two slope

One by Two inverted slope

One by Two smooth

One by Two

One by Two divider brick

These are just a few examples of the kinds of names I gave them, there is a far larger list, though.

Interesting question.  I also usually refer to pieces by what set or sets they come from if there isn't a clearer way to do so.  I try to refer to more commonly-known sets when using them as a way of naming pieces.

you know,I realized about 5 years ago,that i never really talked about bionicle pieces, so i didnt name them.it blew my mind that the x pieces were called "axles" and the black pieces are called "pins".it was really a perspective shifting moment.

• Upvote 6

check out my totally ORIGINAL youtube channel, Below Average Geeks!  I'm trying something different.its very small, so comments will be noticed and read.

just a poll.on a scale of one to ten, how likely are you to read a webcomic based on just this title: 'Neon Laser Dragons.'?

see these guys?

0VlbJ.gif  AjzI5.gif msLAB.gif cr1zz.gif

alrighty bros, listen up.

my lightning dragon is lonely.

click dis bebe dergen pls.

i know its dumb.

jus do it pls.for me, a'ight?

',:]

my Skrall--er, scroll.

I have a weird naming system for the CCBS shells. I don't call them by their stud-measurements, but by the order of smallest to largest.

I actually do something similar with "small" "medium" "large" and "extra large".

I think I do the same.

Same here. I've got small, standard, large, and the one with extra holes.

While I like to use official names for colors and the like, part names are generally cumbersome and less descriptive than necessary, especially in the case of detail elements like Bionicle is rife with. So I usually refer to parts based on their initial appearances—Exo-Force Robot Arms, Bohrok eyes, Hordika necks, Barraki eyes, and so forth. I do tend to use semi-official terms for basic CCBS parts, such as 4M bones or 5M shells.

Just pull a LEGO Movie and call them all by their specific design ID.

totally a legit way to refer to individual pieces

I actually liked how in the Lego Movie, the Master Builders identified parts by their official name and ID, while the construction workers referred to parts using common AFOL nicknames ("2x2 macaroni", "cheese slopes", etc.)

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

For a long time, I had no idea there were even names for different kinds of pieces. This first time I had ever heard any particular pieces being specifically identified was in the Clutch Powers movie (for example, "standard 8-stud bricks"). These days, I now use the official names I see on Brickset and on Lego Digital Designer (so the example I gave is actually called a "2x4 brick").

• Upvote 1

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

What was the individual part that would have become "hordika neck"? Because it released before that.

I think it's this:

4289258.jpg

Yes, that. It debuted in the Toa Hordika, and while you could conceivably describe it another way (2M beam with angled ball joint?), "Hordika neck" is shorter and I had never had the meaning misunderstood until now.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I refer to them by what set they premiered on and what part they were on said set—thus "McToran Feet," "Inika Shoulder Armor," etc.

Yeah, I generally do that. Or, for older Technic pieces which I first really noticed though Bionicle, I refer to them by the appearance I know them best from, like "Turaga hand" or "Nuva neck."

~B~

I switch between part IDs, the common name for them and for some bionicle pieces, whatever name they were given in the story. Except for discs, I either call them discs, bamboo discs or Kanoka. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I refer to them by what set they premiered on and what part they were on said set—thus "McToran Feet," "Inika Shoulder Armor," etc.

Yeah, I generally do that. Or, for older Technic pieces which I first really noticed though Bionicle, I refer to them by the appearance I know them best from, like "Turaga hand" or "Nuva neck."

~B~

Oh man, this too. it got so bad for me when i was yonger i called this thing a "kazi body piece" despite that being literally its least important appearance.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

~B~

Oh man, this too. it got so bad for me when i was yonger i called this thing a "kazi body piece" despite that being literally its least important appearance.

Before I clicked the link I thought you were referring to the Hordika arm piece, but yeah that one's a bit of a stretch. :P

In the few offline cases I sort of just blab until the other person understands, online I have the benefit of being able to link to reference images, so I like doing that.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

Basically I just call them whatever name pops into my head at the time.

Unikitty: There is absolutely no consistency.

Or that, that works real well. Lots of 'thingy's and 'bit's.

Thingies. :lol: That word suddenly reminded me of my favorite scene from Clutch Powers, where Bernie gets frustrated by Brick constantly calling certain pieces "thingies," "doohickies," and "whatchamacallits" instead of by their proper names.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Basically I just call them whatever name pops into my head at the time.

Unikitty: There is absolutely no consistency.

Or that, that works real well. Lots of 'thingy's and 'bit's.

Thingies. :lol: That word suddenly reminded me of my favorite scene from Clutch Powers, where Bernie gets frustrated by Brick constantly calling certain pieces "thingies," "doohickies," and "whatchamacallits" instead of by their proper names.

It'S NOT A THINGY!

Could I have one of those thingies?

*Bernie's eyes turn into hearts*

Would you like the blue thingy or the red thingy?

• Upvote 2

Here's some terminology I prefer.

Technic

• "o" shaped rods are Pins
  • "+" shaped rods are Axles
  • The three varieties of these are Pinaxles
  • Smaller "o" shaped rods are Bars
  • The grey pieces used in 2015 Bionicle gearboxes to keep an arm immobile are Crank Handles
  • The dimensions of Technic parts are measured in Ms - i.e. 2M Axle, 3M Pin
  • Technic parts with various Axle or Pin holes, such as these or these, are Connectors

CCBS

• Beams with balls and sockets on them are Bones
  • Plating attached to Bones are Shells or Armour Shells
  • Accessories attached to Shells are Addons
  • The various varieties of these are Sockets

System

• 1x1 slopes are Cheese Slopes
  • The male connectors on bricks are Studs
  • The female connection points on bricks are Inlets
  • The dimensions of System parts are measured in Studs, which are equal in size to Ms

This glossary may prove useful.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For pieces like the old Bionicle hands, I call them "old hand pieces" and for things like the Inika shoulder armor, I call them "Inika shoulder armor." When it comes to Technic pieces, I call them "thing", "thingy", "thingamabob", and so on, but in my mind, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

• Upvote 1

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

The Blue long pin is 3 Pin.

The Blue Half Axle Half Pin is Half Axle/Half Pin depending on which pops in my head faster.

Swords are Swords

Heads are Mata/Metru/Vahki/Inika/Piraka/Glatorian/Minifig heads.

Kanohi Are called by name.

And Most other pieces are whatever pop into my mind such as "3x1 thick/thin" or "Single stud square thin thingy"