Future Reboots

Bonkle

Eco-Force would be nice I also liked the vikings sets and seeing as Mars mission is my favorite theme in the whole entire world then mars mission! also a new sports themed sets because those were cool and if they got license for baseball or football or other futbol or a throwbots/slizer reeboot

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

i think life on mars deserves a reboot. it holds a certain significance (at least, to me) as being the only space line where the goal of the human and extraterrestrial characters doesnt involve violence between each other, but cooperation and friendship. i know being able to swoop a spaceship around and have heroic humans defend themselves against antagonistic aliens is fun to roleplay and is usually a fun concept i guess? but i feel like theres some merit in considering something ... less violent, i guess, especially considering how many of legos other themes are also more action-based. at the very least, it could have humans and aliens teaming up against a common threat, instead of having a weird divide of humans vs aliens

plus, we could see some sweet mech designs, hopefully in interesting colours. a return of sand red and sand purple would be out of line probably, but we could still see robotic sets and vehicles in colourful shades similar to life on mars, as well as cute new martian minifigs

• Upvote 2

bionicle is trans culture

i think life on mars deserves a reboot. it holds a certain significance (at least, to me) as being the only space line where the goal of the human and extraterrestrial characters doesnt involve violence between each other, but cooperation and friendship. i know being able to swoop a spaceship around and have heroic humans defend themselves against antagonistic aliens is fun to roleplay and is usually a fun concept i guess? but i feel like theres some merit in considering something ... less violent, i guess, especially considering how many of legos other themes are also more action-based. at the very least, it could have humans and aliens teaming up against a common threat, instead of having a weird divide of humans vs aliens

plus, we could see some sweet mech designs, hopefully in interesting colours. a return of sand red and sand purple would be out of line probably, but we could still see robotic sets and vehicles in colourful shades similar to life on mars, as well as cute new martian minifigs

I agree with this, I would like to see a reboot of Life on Mars. Though themes where you fight against Aliens is cool, Pacifism is sometimes cool too, and always a better option than fight, so I feel that teaching kids to work together instead of fighting one another is a great lesson, especially when those who you are working with are Non-Human. (UNDERTALE I'm looking at you. Eventhough UNDERTALE is about freedom and Liberation in the end, alongside violence and death. But a more meaningful violence than just killing meaningless people and characters. Working together is also a great lesson that I feel UNDERTALE represents in the end. Unity!)

(On an Off Topic note, I feel that if there was an UNDERTALE LEGO Theme, I feel that, that would be great, if it where for Pacifism only atleast. Let us not go into Genocide.)

As for Other reboots, I would love to See Exo-Force be brought back, alongside (or just also) Knights Kingdom. Those themes, Alongside BIONICLE and Star Wars defined my childhood. (and UNDERTALE defines my adolescent or teen years. If not also counting the various great games that I love.)

So having those themes return would make me really happy.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Lego Sponge Bob:

Do i think it will return NO cause MEGA BLOCKS has the licence but still Lego Sponge Bob had some good sets i want a new build a bob.

No even better

Alien Conquest:

Yea that would be verry possible compared to Sponge Bob.

Edited by Tahu3.0

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

The problem with Life on Mars, I think, is that there wasn't any obvious conflict to help drive the plot. Yes, there was one in the actual story (with one traitorous martian trying to sabotage relations between the martians and humans), but that kind of political intrigue doesn't really resonate with kids and wasn't even self-evident in the set designs—it was years before I realized the blue martian was the "bad guy" in the story.

I think a new theme with human and alien collaboration is definitely possible in the future, but even if you did do something like that you would still need to have some sort of conflict play in order to create a more obvious story structure. A theme like Space Police could easily achieve that simply by including both humans AND aliens teamed up for both the police AND criminal factions. Granted, you'd want a more unified design language for the villains in that case (to make clear which side every character was on), but you could still achieve that by making both the police and criminals uniformed factions—Blacktron, anyone?

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The problem with Life on Mars, I think, is that there wasn't any obvious conflict to help drive the plot. Yes, there was one in the actual story (with one traitorous martian trying to sabotage relations between the martians and humans), but that kind of political intrigue doesn't really resonate with kids and wasn't even self-evident in the set designs—it was years before I realized the blue martian was the "bad guy" in the story.

I think a new theme with human and alien collaboration is definitely possible in the future, but even if you did do something like that you would still need to have some sort of conflict play in order to create a more obvious story structure. A theme like Space Police could easily achieve that simply by including both humans AND aliens teamed up for both the police AND criminal factions. Granted, you'd want a more unified design language for the villains in that case (to make clear which side every character was on), but you could still achieve that by making both the police and criminals uniformed factions—Blacktron, anyone?

The blue martian (Centauri) wasn't the bad guy. The red martian (Arcturus) was the bad guy. His red eyes and pallid green skin certainly did make him look more evil than the others, though you're right, it wasn't totally self-evident just by glancing at the sets or boxes.

yeah i guess youre right ... like i said though, they could at least have humans vs aliens teaming up or something. the idea youve got w/ space police seems pretty cool and i wouldnt mind that

really, im just kinda tired of humans vs aliens and want something a little more lighthearted in spacefaring, but thats. probably just me lmao

Edited by Alphys
  • Upvote 1

bionicle is trans culture

Nah I agree, I understand what the marketers are saying with easy to understand conflicts, but I'd like to see a return to more placid, exploration-based sets and designs. Stuff like the City theme often gets, but like, all techowonder futureland-y.

I guess you could kinda do both. Planetary Survey theme with humans/aliens exploring and encountering brick-built alien fauna and capturing/analyzing/observing/whatevering them.

Edited by Cabooceratops

On the subject of space, a Star Trek line would be awesome. Not sure whoever owns the Trek license would license it out to someone with a Star Wars license though. , it'd be a nerdy dream come true to have a Lego Trek Wars crossover line. Surely, I'm not the only one who would love to have a Diorama featuring one or more Enterprises, Voyager, the Millennium Falcon, and a squadron of X-wings and Delta Flyers going up against an Armada of Borg Cubes with the Death Star at it's heart. And just imagine the potential Constractions: Federation Officers in Jedi Robes wielding Lightsabers, Borgified Storm Troopers lead by Borgified Sith Lords.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

Nah I agree, I understand what the marketers are saying with easy to understand conflicts, but I'd like to see a return to more placid, exploration-based sets and designs. Stuff like the City theme often gets, but like, all techowonder futureland-y.

I guess you could kinda do both. Planetary Survey theme with humans/aliens exploring and encountering brick-built alien fauna and capturing/analyzing/observing/whatevering them.

The thing to keep in mind though is that LEGO Space has never been totally placid and exploration-based. Conflict play was a part of the designs from the beginning, even if the designers had to be a bit covert about it to get their designs approved in the age when the LEGO Group's anti-violence policies were so much stricter.

Some quotes from an interview with classic Space designers Niels Milan Pedersen and Jens Nygaard Knudsen in Issue 6, Volume 2 of BrickJournal magazine:

Explains Jens... "We started with only Red and White figures, we considered the red ones to be the 'bad' guys, and that they were two competing factions."

Side note: some things I've read and heard from designers actually suggest that colors might have specifically been meant to signify Soviet cosmonauts and American astronauts. Furthermore...

"The original two colors were explorers, yellow were scientists, blues were technicians or mechanics, and I guess the black were warriors, but we were not allowed to make a big deal out of this. We were not allowed to make war."

Niels nods in agreement at this point. "There were a lot of disagreements about the aerials and other elements that pointed forwards on the ships because of the 'no war' policy." Jens takes over, "We were not allowed to make weapons, and these things we built looked aggressive, so there were a lot of 'radar dishes' added and 'sensor probes', but to us they were really guns!"

Overall, by including conflict play in Space themes, the LEGO Group is not really going against the design intent of those early themes. They're mostly just being more sincere about it. Acknowledging that yes, a lot of kids playing with LEGO Space are going to want to act out conflict scenarios, and that no, that isn't necessarily something that should be discouraged.

It's possible that at some point a more exploration-based Space theme might be possible, but I think it hinges partly on what media kids are exposed to sci-fi through. A lot of the sci-fi media kids experience today is pretty heavy on laser gunfights and other forms of space conflict. Space stories like The Martian that are more peaceful do exist, but generally have less of a fantasy element to them and aren't really aimed at kids.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Well, that's honestly quite a bummer to hear about Classic Space. =/

I suppose, then, it'd be less about returning to anything and just changing to the stated placid exploring. I'm not super worried about 'likelihood' in this scenario, since this is about what we 'want' to see.

On that note, I'd like to see another Dinosaur-based toyline, but with brickbuilt dinos rather than the giant single-mode junk. Ideally with an eye for accuracy.

• Upvote 1

I suppose, then, it'd be less about returning to anything and just changing to the stated placid exploring. I'm not super worried about 'likelihood' in this scenario, since this is about what we 'want' to see.

On that note, I'd like to see another Dinosaur-based toyline, but with brickbuilt dinos rather than the giant single-mode junk. Ideally with an eye for accuracy.

Maybe there will be a Jurassic World 2 theme in the future that does that. Still that's actually not a bad idea or we could simply have another of those fan made projects like Lego Birds.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Maybe there will be a Jurassic World 2 theme in the future that does that. Still that's actually not a bad idea or we could simply have another of those fan made projects like Lego Birds.

While I would not expect JW to satisfy my craving for accurate dinosaurs(Or for a decent dinosaur movie, for that matter.), at the very least it'd provide a basis to build off of and fix the most grievous issues with those designs. =)

And a similar set to the LEGO Birds would make my day! Heck, I'd take another set of LEGO Birds if it meant getting a Parrot or two. =V

On the subject of space, a Star Trek line would be awesome. Not sure whoever owns the Trek license would license it out to someone with a Star Wars license though. 

Lego has the licenses for Marvel and DC, two competing franchises. I think that the lack of Star Trek has to do with licensing difficulties and worries that Trek would steal purchases from the Star Wars line. 

I think the latter is probably unfounded, given that the fans for the two franchises don't really overlap due to the competition...and the majority of Trekkies are girls. (I actually saw a study on that.) Now that might pose a marketing challenge - but it's not too hard, you just have to put a little design work into those Captain Kirk and Spock minifigs. 

Edited by fishers64

The only themes that stand a chance of a reboot are big bang themes.

I wouldn't say that. Space Police has been brought back twice, and Pirates and Castle are regularly refreshed. In terms of licensed themes, Harry Potter also made a comeback in 2010 after being on hiatus since 2007. And the Super Heroes theme effectively revived Batman sets (which hadn't been around since 2008) and Spider-Man sets (which hadn't been around since 2002).

Do all of these count as "reboots"? Tough to say, since most of them don't have a really discrete continuity. But I think they still fall under the umbrella of what this topic's about.

• Upvote 1

The only themes that stand a chance of a reboot are big bang themes.

I wouldn't say that. Space Police has been brought back twice, and Pirates and Castle are regularly refreshed.

I'm not sure if you can really count those as reboots (at least in terms of how the word is used nowadays). If you really sit down and compare the space police themes you'll they have very little in common with the more recent version of it (such as the aliens and just overall design). And pirates and castle are literally just themes. They don't really have stories and tend to be based in the default medieval and pirate fantasy. 

It's time to move on.

On the subject of space, a Star Trek line would be awesome. Not sure whoever owns the Trek license would license it out to someone with a Star Wars license though. 

Lego has the licenses for Marvel and DC, two competing franchises. I think that the lack of Star Trek has to do with licensing difficulties and worries that Trek would steal purchases from the Star Wars line. 

I think the latter is probably unfounded, given that the fans for the two franchises don't really overlap due to the competition...and the majority of Trekkies are girls. (I actually saw a study on that.) Now that might pose a marketing challenge - but it's not too hard, you just have to put a little design work into those Captain Kirk and Spock minifigs. 

I kinda think Star Trek would fall into the area of 'peaceful space and exploration', too.  (I'm a TNG fan.)  There's conflict - you can't have a detailed story like Star Trek without it - but all-out phaser combat, things like that aren't as common.  Instead you get Picard and Data sneaking onto Romulus, the crew saving a planet from freezing over, and scouting the remains of derelict starships.  Heck, there's even that one time where Data thwarts a phaser dogfight with the Romulans by breaking their cloaks.

Just my two cents.  Or two bricks, as it were.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

To follow through on that thought, I would absolutely love a minidoll-based Star Trek line, both as a concept and because it'd tick off so many nerds.

• Upvote 1

[...]

To follow through on that thought, I would absolutely love a minidoll-based Star Trek line, both as a concept and because it'd tick off so many nerds.

Yarr, but they would have to produce a bunch of male mini-dolls, and while it was pointed out that Trek has less direct violence than Star Wars, they would need to gloss out the sexual stuff in the original series and the rebooted movies. Making the guys into mini-dolls (along with Uhura and the rebooted "Khan's" daughter) might be seen as pushing the envelope. (There's a reason that franchise appeals to girls...:lookaround: *ahem*)

TNG seems cleaner for that, but lets face it - if they do Star Trek, they are going to do sets for the rebooted Trek, because that's where the money is, at least in terms of marketing to kids who don't remember TNG or TOS.  If I were Lego approaching this, there would be a lot to debate in terms of morality, marketing gender, complaints from nerds, and cannibalizing Star Wars sales.

BIONICLE G3

Yes I want this so much or at least another 10 years of G2 Bionicle goodness.

But if they take Bionicle down there is only one CCBS theme that can take its place

(at least in LEGO's eyes)

Hero Factory :(

If Lego stops the Bionicle theme then they'll replace it with there back-up theme dreaded Hero Factory.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

BIONICLE G3

Yes I want this so much or at least another 10 years of Bionicle goodness.

But if they take Bionicle down there is only one CCBS theme that can take its place

(at least in LEGO's eyes)

Hero Factory :(

If Lego stops the Bionicle theme then they'll replace it with there back-up theme dreaded Hero Factory.

I don't see where you get the idea that Bionicle can ONLY be replaced by Hero Factory. A single instance of Hero Factory replacing Bionicle doesn't create a trend, and there's no reason why Lego couldn't create another entirely new theme to replace Bionicle the same way they did with Hero Factory initially.

That said, if/when Bionicle G2 ends, it's a safe bet that Bionicle G3 won't immediately replace it. That'd offer barely any advantage over just continuing Bionicle G2 from where it left off.

Slizer/Throwbots

That could be a possibility more than RoboRiders or Vikings.

I actually think Vikings would have a better chance, considering it's such a generic System theme (not so much as Castle and Pirates, but generic nonetheless).

That said, Slizer/Throwbots definitely has a better chance than Roboriders. The former was actually quite successful and the latter never really came close.

Slizer/Throwbots

That could be a possibility more than RoboRiders or Vikings.

I actually think Vikings would have a better chance, considering it's such a generic System theme (not so much as Castle and Pirates, but generic nonetheless).

That said, Slizer/Throwbots definitely has a better chance than Roboriders. The former was actually quite successful and the latter never really came close.

Vikings could return but will it be successful.......? YEA it could Dragons and GIANT boats.

7018-1.jpg

You people have to admit this is what kids want these days.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Probably not. Unless LEGO realizes the mistake they made throwing away it, and Pharaoh's Quest, and Alien Conquest, and Dino, AND Power Miners,  (all of which were connected) and make a big combined theme with those, we probably won't. :P

• Upvote 1

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Probably not. Unless LEGO realizes the mistake they made throwing away it, and Pharaoh's Quest, and Alien Conquest, and Dino, AND Power Miners,  (all of which were connected) and make a big combined theme with those, we probably won't. :P

Was it really a mistake, though? Think about it this way. LEGO can't continue to introduce more and more new themes while keeping every other theme they have running. If Power Miners and World Racers had continued into 2011, then Pharaoh's Quest, Alien Conquest, and/or Ninjago might not have been able to exist. If Atlantis, Pharaoh's Quest, and Alien Conquest had continued into 2012, then Dino and/or Monster Fighters might not have been able to exist. If Dino and Monster Fighters had continued into 2013, then Legends of Chima, Galaxy Squad, and/or the 2013 Castle revival might not have been able to exist. Discontinuing existing themes is the only way LEGO can free up the time and resources to introduce new ones.

• Upvote 1

Legends of Chima might not have been able to exist.

But would that really be a BAD thing? :P
Yes for the Chima serious had a nice little plot; some of the most variety of parts in one LEGO line; and had influence over the CCBS by introducing new parts that the Bionicle reboot uses now.

So yes Chima was a nice serious while it lasted.

Edited by ToaTimeLord
  • Upvote 1

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Yes for the Chima serious had a nice little plot; some of the most variety of parts in one LEGO line; and had influence over the CCBS by introducing new parts that the Bionicle reboot uses now.

What you're saying is that Chima is not as bad as Galidor.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

At least they didn't ride a bike down a hill to trigger an alien invasion. 

Instead, they chucked magic donuts into a hole to trigger an alien invasion, and raced bikes around a track to get a special magic donut that was more powerful than the other magic donuts. And one bike rider took all of the special magic donuts for himself, while the aliens got more powerful because nobody was paying attention.

Edited by fishers64

At least they didn't ride a bike down a hill to trigger an alien invasion. 

Instead, they chucked magic donuts into a hole to trigger an alien invasion, and raced bikes around a track to get a special magic donut that was more powerful than the other magic donuts. And one bike rider took all of the special magic donuts for himself, while the aliens got more powerful because nobody was paying attention.

Are you serious?

You know something in second thought dont answer.

Edited by Tahu3.0

tZa6I5y.jpg?1