Future Reboots

Bonkle

Today I was thinking about how Bionicle is the first theme to be outright rebooted/revived by Lego. Then I thought, why couldn't that happen for other themes? So, I have three questions for you:

1. Do you think Lego will revive other themes?

2. What themes would you like to be brought back?

3. Which themes do you think are most likely to be brought back?

Personally, I would like to see a modern take on classic Space subthemes like Exploriens or U.F.O.

Edited by Bonkle
  • Upvote 1

Adventurers with Johnny Thunder and the gang

That or Alpha Team. I had even been remaking the sets in LDD with updated parts and functions. If only LDD would update so I use the new stud shooter pieces. (Not the minifig held ones)

Lego Island could be an interesting wave for Lego City

• Upvote 2

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Today I was thinking about how Bionicle is the first theme to be outright rebooted/revived by Lego. 

Doesn't Ninjago hold that honor? 

Also, the classic space/pirates/Alpha Team keep coming back under different names, but I guess that isn't quite the same. 

Ninjago technically never went away. It got a new set of costumes and vehicles and was called "Rebooted", but it never left the shelves and was brought back.

• Upvote 1

There aren't a whole lot of in-house, story-driven themes that can boast anywhere near the same level of success that Bionicle could. And with more moderately successful themes, I think LEGO is more likely to apply the core concepts to an entirely new theme than to actually bring back that particular brand. Like how Power Miners revisited concepts from Rock Raiders, Atlantis revisited concepts from Aqua Raiders, and Ultra Agents revisited concepts from Agents. I expect many similar re-imaginings in the future, but I wouldn't call any of these a true reboot.

Among less story-driven themes, Space Police has been rebooted a few times and it wouldn't surprise me to see it rebooted again in the future. Possibly in confrontation with their long-time enemy, Blacktron. Among licensed themes, Harry Potter was fairly successful for its time, but would not likely do well without a new movie out. I could see it coming back for LEGO Dimensions, though. Besides that, I don't know a lot of themes that are likely to be revived.

Space Police/Blacktron is one theme that has a rich history and which I'd surely appreciate a revival of, even though it wasn't a major theme of my own childhood. An Exo-Force reboot could also be interesting, though I don't think it's particularly likely. I'd love LEGO to revive their Avatar: The Last Airbender license, though again, it's very unlikely. Besides that, there aren't a whole lot of themes I'm holding out for a reboot of. The themes I enjoy most currently are ones like Ninjago, Bionicle, and Elves that are still going strong. And I think a lot of the concepts I loved in older sets could best be applied to entirely new themes.

• Upvote 5

Today I was thinking about how Bionicle is the first theme to be outright rebooted/revived by Lego. 

To my knowledge, the Wild West theme was the first to be revived. It first came out in the 90's and then Lego decided to sell the same sets again in the early 2000's.

True, but that was more of a rerelease than bringing back the exact same cast and making new sets.

I'm hoping for an Exo-Force reboot after Ninjago fades away.

As much as I loved Exo-Force, I think you'll be waiting a long time if that's your condition for when an Exo-Force reboot would be possible. As of this year, Ninjago is an evergreen theme like LEGO City, and according to the LEGO Group's employee magazine their plans for it extend at least ten years from now.

• Upvote 2

As much as I loved Exo-Force, I think you'll be waiting a long time if that's your condition for when an Exo-Force reboot would be possible. As of this year, Ninjago is an evergreen theme like LEGO City, and according to the LEGO Group's employee magazine their plans for it extend at least ten years from now.

Well, considering they both have a Japanese style, I thought it would make more sense for one to end first before adding another one.

Either way, I'd love to see Exo-Force come back.

67685335.jpg             

*snip*

Space Police/Blacktron is one theme that has a rich history and which I'd surely appreciate a revival of, even though it wasn't a major theme of my own childhood. An Exo-Force reboot could also be interesting...

*snip*

This

this all da way

I wonder what particularly about Space Police makes it keep coming back. I have so many fond memories of it and I always loved it (one of my fav themes) but I guess something about cops in space catches on with kids really well. I remember reading about that jazz in an old issue of Brick Journal.

EDIT: Oh, and Ninjago/ExoForce cross over for laif

Edited by Banana Gunz

If there was enough demand for an alien space theme from children, I would love to see either UFO or Insectoids come back. 

To be honest, we kind of did—in the forms of 2011's Alien Conquest and 2013's Galaxy Squad, both of which I'd consider better than their late '90s predecessors.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly, a lot of themes have been *brought back*, if not rebooted exactly. Rock Raiders -> Power Miners, etc.

That being said, I'd like another Rock Raiders. Exo-Force would be cool too, as would Johnny Thunder, Indiana Jones (probably doesn't count, but I loved them), AND X-PODS. Man, X-Pods were so awesome. We've had some things a little bit like them, such as Mixels, but they haven't filled the hole that the end of X-Pods left.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

If there was enough demand for an alien space theme from children, I would love to see either UFO or Insectoids come back.

To be honest, we kind of did—in the forms of 2011's Alien Conquest and 2013's Galaxy Squad, both of which I'd consider better than their late '90s predecessors.

I'd like to know why you think that.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Considering the fact lego are finally starting to delve back into using their own properties in their video games I don't think a return for lego island would be completely out of the question. Although seeing as their games are still largely licensed based I do think it will be many years before such a thing could happen. 

It's time to move on.

Both Alpha Team and the Adventurers underwent reboots of a sort. Alpha Team didn't have the yearly sets that BIONICLE did. Instead, it came back whenever it felt like it, and in "Mission: Deep Freeze," it might as well have been a reboot, given that everything was redesigned and Cam and Crunch both were replaced. And as for Adventurers, I seem to remember a page of one of my old LEGO Club Magazines proclaiming that Johnny Thunder was back for Orient Expedition. Thereby implying that he had been gone, which was true.​

As for your questions, though:

1. Do you think Lego will revive other themes?

Probably not, unless you count Life on Mars>Mars Mission or Rock Raiders>Power Miners as revivals.

2. What themes would you like to be brought back?

All my old childhood favorites: Alpha Team, Adventurers, and LEGO Island.

3. Which themes do you think are most likely to be brought back?

​Once again, provided we're not counting Power Miners-style reboots, I think only the Adventurers have much of a chance, and that's only because of Johnny Thunder's popularity relative to other LEGO characters like Pepper Roni or Ogel.

Edited by Lon'qu
How well will you die?

Another ten years? Well, then. We'll be seeing those Ninjas for quite a long time. Perhaps within the next ten years we'll get a Ninjago wave based around mechs. I don't think it's likely, but possible. It'd definitely be an interesting concept to see.

Another ten years? Well, then. We'll be seeing those Ninjas for quite a long time. Perhaps within the next ten years we'll get a Ninjago wave based around mechs. I don't think it's likely, but possible. It'd definitely be an interesting concept to see.

Pretty much all the ninja have gotten a mech at one point or another, so it would be redundant.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much all the ninja have gotten a mech at one point or another, so it would be redundant.

Unless they're specialized with unique gimmicks, which we know LEGO could pull off.

Most of the ninja have had dragons before too, but as of this year some of them have started getting new dragons, as well as a new version of their flagship from 2012, the Destiny's Bounty. If a theme always sticks strictly to doing stuff it's never done before it risks getting further and further from its roots.

Now, with that said, I agree a year based entirely around mechs is kind of unlikely, because Ninjago likes to keep its offerings each year fairly diverse. Even in the 2014 "Rebooted" lineup, which was heavily tech-based, the only real mechs were Cole's Earth Mech, the Nindroid MechDragon, and the Overlord's walking power armor. The rest of the sets focused on other types of vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Although I believe it's incredibly unlikely Ben 10 is due for a reboot so I think it is possible (although unlikely) that lego would look into producing Ben 10 sets. I mean with Scooby Doo (seemingly) cancelled I think lego may look into producing sets based off of one of CN's 2016 reboots (which will be either powerpuff girls or Ben 10).

It's time to move on.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably never going to happen since it was superceded by the original Bionicle, but I have a lot of Nostalgia for the old Throwbots/Slizer line and would love either a reboot or just a reissue of the original sets, or just for modern sets utilizing some of the parts Throwbots made heavy use of that aren't part of generic Technic.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

1. If Ninjago (which is basically the Bionicle of minifig themes) ever ends, I would think that in 5 years it could probably be rebooted like Bionicle. Space Police IV could also happen, but other than that I don't think there are any story-based Lego themes that will get a reboot any time soon.

Hero Factory (:P), Master Build Academy, and DesignByMe. Not exactly obvious choices, but most other themes tend to return in one form or another. (Alpha Team -> Agents -> Ultra Agents, Dino Attack -> Dino, Aquazone -> Aqua Raiders -> Atlantis, Rock Raiders -> Power Miners) These 3 themes are kind of unusual though. One is, well, Hero Factory, the next was a learn-how-to-build-like-a-pro series of kits, and the other was a service for designing your own sets in LDD and then buying them and getting custom instructions and a box.

Ninjago will probably get rebooted when it eventually ends, Bionicle could get a third gen when this gen ends, and Space Police IV could wind up being the next space theme. But as others have said, most of the time Lego just recycles and/or reimagines older themes into new ones, rather than doing direct reboots, such as the aforementioned Rock Raiders -> Power Miners and such.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

1. I really do hope so ;)

2. Personally I would really like to see a new take on Wild West theme. Sure, nobody cares about western anymore but hey, I can have dreams. (6755: Sheriff's Lock-Up haunts me to this day for not picking it up when i had the chance) Also, I don't know if mining is still relevant as a theme but Rock Raiders always had a special place in my heart. And while I sure wouldn't mind a new space police vs. space gangsters theme I would personally prefer a "Life on Mars" styled reboot (no agressive human-alien relations, exploring space for a new energy source and all, again, more like Rock Raiders)

3. If by "brought back" you mean rebooted the exact same theme then I have no idea and I leave the decision to Lego ;). There are some themes that already came back in one form or another like adventurers, mining, human-alien conflict/alien invasion or underwater exploration... I would say one of these is bound to reappear one day...

1.  THEY'D BETTER.

2.  Oh man, I'd love a Spybotics reboot so much.  Shove one of these inside a Lego case with some motors, and give it the power to communicate with other spybots, use wifi, maybe have a thing where you could control the bot with your phone... the tech has gotten so much better since 2002, I'd love to see them do something with it.  Also Drome Racers is pretty high on my list.

3.  I don't know.  Probably something to do with reviving an old idea, like a pirates theme or a racers theme.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

1. Depends on the theme and if they have good ideas for it.
  2. Imma jump on the bandwagon and say Exo-Force. By the time Ninjago's done, Exo-Force will be the theme of the century!
  3. Anything space, ocean, or spy-related. I also don't think a BIONICLE G3 would be far fetched.

Oh man, I'd love a Spybotics reboot so much.  Shove one of these inside a Lego case with some motors, and give it the power to communicate with other spybots, use wifi, maybe have a thing where you could control the bot with your phone... the tech has gotten so much better since 2002, I'd love to see them do something with it. 

Are you nuts?! The planet's become a breeding ground for hackers! Imagine what would happen if one hacked your LEGO robot. It could be used to layer your floors in LEGO pieces (not that it would hurt, because it doesn't, but because you'd have to pick it all up), terrorize any pets you might have, and/or pick up an Onua claw to shred you into a salad. It's a risky battle, my friend.

• Upvote 3

mindeth the cobwebs

I've seen videos of Lego robots capable of solving a Rubik's Cube that used a smartphone as it's brain. I've been blind since late 2012, so that video is pretty old. The new Raspbery Pi Zero retails for $5 and was actually being given away with a tech magazine and the more powerful Raspberry Pis are only around $40.

So yeah, price isn't a very strong barrier to entry for amateur robotics, and while the programmable components from Lego's own mindstorms line are fairly pricey compared to some of the sbcs and socs currently available, I hear they streamline the programming side of thing quite a bit.

And if you don't want you're robot hacked, just don't use any components that allow wireless communication with it. Kind of hard to alter the program without permission if altering the program requires physical access to the rebot's electronics.

More on topic, a space theme featuring technic-heavy models of various real-world space craft would be cool. , the Space Shuttle or the Apollo Lander would be cool even built primarily with bricks.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

• 3 weeks later...

bring back slizers

This isn't meant to be antagonistic, but out of curiosity, why? What was special about Slizers? Don't get me wrong, I loved the theme, but that was a decade and a half ago.

You're telling me you don't want to see the theme that inspired bionicle to be given another chance to impress us?

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it'd be LEGO Adventurers, Aqua Raiders and Mars Mission, my favourite themes apart from the current Ninjago and BIONICLE of course, I wish for them to bring those themes back, probably won't happen and when it does it will be under a different title as those three themes were subthemes of regular LEGO themes which come back and forth every few years,

LEGO Adventurers- Action/Advnenture

Aqua Raiders- Underwater

Mars Mission- Space

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

bring back slizers

This isn't meant to be antagonistic, but out of curiosity, why? What was special about Slizers? Don't get me wrong, I loved the theme, but that was a decade and a half ago.

You're telling me you don't want to see the theme that inspired bionicle to be given another chance to impress us?

Again: How? It'd be like the next wave of Bionicle deciding to go back to Agori limbs and Inika torsos. Other suggestions here make sense (Exo-Force because a mecha devoted theme would be dope, Aqua Raiders because scifi underwater), but what would the Slizers bring to the table that Bionicle doesn't? 

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky