Dang it, LEGO Dimensions!

powerjala

Okay, so for a while, I've been anticipating LEGO Dimensions for a long time now and was plesantly surprised that a lot of big names such as the LEGO Movie and Doctor Who got properly represented with the original voice talent for each character. One thing that occasionally gets on my nerves is how a lot of LEGO games tent to not have the budget to get the original voice actors to preform their roles as the characters. LEGO Ninjago Shadow of Ronin and LEGO Ninjago Nindroids unfortunately had those flaws.

When it was announced that most voice roles were to be reprised for the LEGO Movie and others, I was estatic. Then I saw a trailer to the game featuing Kai (Ninjago) and Batman. Kai had a pretty scratchy voice that didn't match Vincent Tong's (voice of Kai's) voice at all. 

I kept my optimism though, seeing that a lot of game and movie trailers are acted or voiced differently from the actual product. 

The game came out and I bought the starter pack with the fun pack of Zane and the other of Emmet. I was happy to hear Chris Pratt's voice again after his apcense in the LEGO Movie Videogame. However, as soon as Zane opened his mouth, I was nearly heartbroken. I might be taking this a bit too seriously but there was a pit left in my stomach when I found out that none of the Ninjago characters reprised their roles and were replaced with cheap imitations. I even read somewhere that Vincent Tong wasn't even ever contacted to voice Kai again.   :annoyed: 
It just feels disrespectful to the characters. Me and my little sister could comepletely tell the difference between the two voices for the same characters. I'm only assuming, but I'm pretty sure all the other Ninjago characters are suffering the same fate and not just Zane. 

Oh well...At least I can still play as the TRUE Emmet, Wildstyle, Homer Simpson, Doctor, and Unikitty. 

• Upvote 2

A novice user on BZPower.

I agree with this, but I can see why getting the Ninjago voice actors would not be considered a priority.

Ninjago fans, for the most part, are often fans of Lego in general. Even if the Ninjago theme gets featured less in Lego Dimensions, they'll be likely to be interested in one of the other themes as well. The same applies to Chima as well.

Licensed themes, on the other hand, have much more potential for crossover appeal. A fan of Portal or Doctor Who or The Simpsons represents a "swing customer" who might be convinced to buy Lego Dimensions to experience the content related to their favorite franchise, even if they themselves weren't already a Lego fan. To win over these potential customers, authenticity is paramount—do you really think there'd be as much buzz around the Portal level if it didn't feature that series' respective voice actors? Thus the voice budget is slanted in favor of those licensed themes, instead of Lego's original IPs.

It sucks for fans of themes like Ninjago and Chima. But from a business perspective, it makes sense.

• Upvote 12

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I agree with this, but I can see why getting the Ninjago voice actors would not be considered a priority.

Ninjago fans, for the most part, are often fans of Lego in general. Even if the Ninjago theme gets featured less in Lego Dimensions, they'll be likely to be interested in one of the other themes as well. The same applies to Chima as well.

Licensed themes, on the other hand, have much more potential for crossover appeal. A fan of Portal or Doctor Who or The Simpsons represents a "swing customer" who might be convinced to buy Lego Dimensions to experience the content related to their favorite franchise, even if they themselves weren't already a Lego fan. To win over these potential customers, authenticity is paramount—do you really think there'd be as much buzz around the Portal level if it didn't feature that series' respective voice actors? Thus the voice budget is slanted in favor of those licensed themes, instead of Lego's original IPs.

It sucks for fans of themes like Ninjago and Chima. But from a business perspective, it makes sense.

Pretty much this. I've heard rumblings that the Portal voice roles in particular are drawing in interest from many gamers who might not have otherwise considered purchasing the game.

I would quote my previous rant on the subject, but it would merely be mirroring yours.

Link?

LEGO cares more about Doctor Who than it does Ninjago.

I've been told america has some, but you can never be sure...

LEGO cares more about Doctor Who than it does Ninjago.

this confuses me because Ninjago got, like, three or four packs in Dimensions and i'm pretty sure DW is still only at two? ?:

None of the Ninjago video games have the same voice actors as the show.

None of the Ninjago video games have the same voice actors as the show.

Doctor Who is a lot bigger than Ninjago, and has been for a long time. plus, Dimensions is a much bigger game. o:

Then how come Ninjago has more packs than Doctor Who?

Then how come Ninjago has more packs than Doctor Who?

Ninjago is a Lego property, it's pretty easy to make Lego models for it. :u

(and it has four six main heroes to doctor who's at most at a time, three.)

Fair point.

The problem I see is that it doesn't look much different from any other Lego game.

Well, that's because the formula LEGO's cooked up for its games are already very well honed. It's been tested and gradually changed over many years now, so they know what they're doing. Why would they bring in a new gameplay system when the one they already have is tested and top-notch?

The problem I see is that it doesn't look much different from any other Lego game.

Well, that's because the formula LEGO's cooked up for its games are already very well honed. It's been tested and gradually changed over many years now, so they know what they're doing. Why would they bring in a new gameplay system when the one they already have is tested and top-notch?

No, it's because Lego is trying to pull an Activision on us. Think about it; they're doing the exact same thing CoD does. They refuse to change and instead pump out what seems to be the same game every. single. time.

This would be fine if you like the Lego games, but I have despised them since Lego Star Wars II.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

No, it's because Lego is trying to pull an Activision on us. Think about it; they're doing the exact same thing CoD does. They refuse to change and instead pump out what seems to be the same game every. single. time.

This would be fine if you like the Lego games, but I have despised them since Lego Star Wars II.

I see what you mean. You're right - they do keep doing the same thing, and I've only tried to explain why. 

Of course, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but from the LEGO Group's perspective, they already have a tried and ready formula in their hands. They bring in a decent amount of money to the company, and, aside from some less-than-satisfied fans like you, have little reason to change that. I'm not trying to penalize you, of course - there's nothing wrong with what you're saying. But LEGO's not gonna bring around any big change unless the majority of players share your mindset.  :notsure:

• Upvote 1

I just hope one of these days that Lego Worlds gets a PS4 or Wii U release. That'd be nice.

I just hope one of these days that Lego Worlds gets a PS4 or Wii U release. That'd be nice.

I was shown some videos of LEGO Worlds on the LEGO Inside Tour earlier this year, and got to ask a few questions. There are plans to port it to consoles once the PC version is in a more finished state.

• 1 month later...

On the other hand, the ninja made less that a second cameo in THEIR OWN REALM.

Jeez, Lego, really? Only Chen gets an actual full appearance?

(On the other hand, Like the Chir twins have said, licensed themes have more prominence for this game. Lego's trying to go all-out for this game, so here's hoping the Ninjago film becomes a huge hit. :D)

not a grammarian

On the other hand, the ninja made less that a second cameo in THEIR OWN REALM.

Jeez, Lego, really? Only Chen gets an actual full appearance?

(On the other hand, Like the Chir twins have said, licensed themes have more prominence for this game. Lego's trying to go all-out for this game, so here's hoping the Ninjago film becomes a huge hit. :D)

Focusing on the licensed themes for the main Lego Dimensions game helps to draw in a wider variety of players, who might not be familiar with Lego franchises such as Ninjago or Chima.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Really, I'm not a fan of dimensions, (its overpriced and dull imo) but this is terrible. I hope the tv show actors play them in the movies. Vincent Tong is Kai's voice anyone else would seem cheap.

Really, if they change the voice actors for the movies I'd expect it to be the OPPOSITE of cheap—picking some big-name Hollywood stars who could get more butts in seats at theaters, instead of dedicated voice actors who are little-known to general audiences. But considering how many of the show staff are involved with the movie, I'd be quite surprised if they didn't maintain the original voice cast. If they wanted more big-name talent, they could always introduce new supporting characters or villains.

• 2 weeks later...
what I don't get is why it doesn't have pc build. The game pad is usb and from my test from putting it in its pc compatible so why didn't they make a pc build. It would not be that hard they just start tt builder (the build app for game engines the have game api, LEGO api, and nu2 api) and make it!!

what I don't get is why it doesn't have pc build. The game pad is usb and from my test from putting it in its pc compatible so why didn't they make a pc build. It would not be that hard they just start tt builder (the build app for game engines the have game api, LEGO api, and nu2 api) and make it!!

None of the major toys-to-life games are available for PC except for the original version of Skylanders (none of the Skylanders sequels are on PC). Keeping them on consoles might be intended to make hacking/modding more difficult, or it might just be that they feel like the console market is more lucrative.

I wonder if it would be possible to port it to pc.

You mean, for the developer to do so? Or for a fan?

There's no real physical reason why WB Games couldn't manage a PC port—even the current "toy pad" connects with a standard USB connection. The question is whether it'd be logistically wise to do so. PC tends to have more piracy and modding than any other platform, which could potentially render both of the game's main revenue streams (software and hardware) irrelevant. And considering that none of the other major Toys to Life franchises have had PC ports, I expect that there's some legitimate reason for them to avoid that platform.

For a fan, it'd be much trickier. I'm not totally in tune with the piracy or modding scene, so I don't know how many of the consoles Lego Dimensions is available for have been "cracked". Chances are someone intent on porting the game to PC would probably have more success trying to work from the XBox 360 version of the game, but even then it might be hard to not only port the game to PC but also maintain all of the "toy pad" functionality—and it'd probably be even harder to implement both past and future updates and expansions to the game.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if it would be possible to port it to pc.

You mean, for the developer to do so? Or for a fan?

There's no real physical reason why WB Games couldn't manage a PC port—even the current "toy pad" connects with a standard USB connection. The question is whether it'd be logistically wise to do so. PC tends to have more piracy and modding than any other platform, which could potentially render both of the game's main revenue streams (software and hardware) irrelevant. And considering that none of the other major Toys to Life franchises have had PC ports, I expect that there's some legitimate reason for them to avoid that platform.

For a fan, it'd be much trickier. I'm not totally in tune with the piracy or modding scene, so I don't know how many of the consoles Lego Dimensions is available for have been "cracked". Chances are someone intent on porting the game to PC would probably have more success trying to work from the XBox 360 version of the game, but even then it might be hard to not only port the game to PC but also maintain all of the "toy pad" functionality—and it'd probably be even harder to implement both past and future updates and expansions to the game.

Actually TT games uses C++ to run nu2 api, game api, and LEGO api (A dump is downloadable herehttp://www.mediafire.com/download/mq3kv31bv133br1/20120801_WII_MASTER.rar) . Along with a build agent called tt builder. Over all I think I may work on porting it.