LEGO BIONICLE: The Journey to One on Netflix

Hapori Tohu

YES YES YES!!!! THE HYPE IS UNREAL!!!!!!

*atom splits*

*small nuclear explosion*

• Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I spent all night talking my girlfriends ear off about how hyped I am for this. This literally could the dream come true of a bionicle show. I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up, in case it just a comp of the current animations, but it's so hard for me to contain it. I honestly don't think it would just be re release of the current animations. A new show, or even just a movie, would be super beneficial to the line. Oh my god I am hyped. I am explode.

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

At first, I was worried that it might just be a compilation of the web videos, but then I realized that re-releasing free content on a paid platform would be an idiotic business decision.  

Hopefully, Lego understands that as well.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time Lego has done that—they have a Lego City movie on Netflix that is simply a compilation of the ones from the Lego website. Of course, I don't really see what's wrong with that—they're still available for free elsewhere, and their availability on Netflix is simply a convenience for parents and kids who already subscribe to Netflix and are looking for something to watch.

That said, this certainly makes it sound like The Journey to One will be brand-new original content.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ninjago got a TV show and now it is so successful that LEGO talk about it "becoming an evergreen theme".

Is it too much to hope for that BIONICLE could do the same?

Both themes have the elemental heroes thing going on (right down to the "Master of Water" being the only female in both teams), so there are similar pull factors. But I worry that Ninjago succeeds because its storyline resists gaining depth (the show's writers don't seem to care about viewers having watched prior episodes, seeing how much core mechanics like the elements have been retconned since the beginning), whereas BIONICLE G1 succeeded precisely because of its detailed and consistent narrative...

Literally the only reason Bionicle G1 ever felt any more consistent than Ninjago is because we were in constant dialogue with one of the writers, giving him freedom to make up whatever excuses he wanted for the many, MANY contradictions that sprung up over the years. Bionicle G1 was just as bad about characters and powers and plot devices randomly dropping out of the story just because they no longer tied in with the current sets, entire scenes being scrubbed from the canon, the story explicitly contradicting itself and having to explain one version of events as a lie or a mistake or a dream, etc.

Plus, instead of having one consistent form for the canon story with other media as supplementary material, the "canon" events of the G1 Bionicle story jumped around from web games to comics to web videos to books to movies to online serials to web-exclusive short stories with reckless abandon, so while keeping up with the current story was difficult but manageable, catching up with the story after the fact was a chore — even with the help of fan-created resources like BS01. Catching up with the LEGO Ninjago storyline mostly just means binge-watching the TV series, making it much more accessible to new fans.

I don't for a minute expect G2 Bionicle to become as successful as Ninjago, but I also don't for a minute think that kind of growth would be a bad thing for the theme in terms of its quality and consistency of storytelling.

• Upvote 2

Literally the only reason Bionicle G1 ever felt any more consistent than Ninjago is because we were in constant dialogue with one of the writers, giving him freedom to make up whatever excuses he wanted for the many, MANY contradictions that sprung up over the years. 

I disagree here. Literally the only reason people actually noticed said "contradictions" is that they had to incorporate every single piece of media into a coherent canon so they could wave the authority of said canon around in a discussion.

The contradictions are mostly due to each piece of media telling a different story because of lack of communication and marketing prerogatives, not due to one form of media contradicting itself. For example, the book version of the story made sense, the movie version of the story made sense, the comic book version kinda made sense...but they all contradict each other.

I simply selected the version I liked the best and moved on, which is what most sensible people do. The fact that Greg was answering questions meant that he had to have definitive answers in spite of the media contradictions, which is what bred this idea that he was responsible for coherency. Frankly, throwing all the Bionicle media together and trying to resolve all the contradictions always made less sense to me than simply accepting that stories can be told differently and have different versions of themselves.  

As for Ninjago, there are contradictions within the TV show itself, from my understanding...mostly I think it has to do with some characters remembering history incorrectly and trying to hide stuff, and a really weird time-travel episode that Bionicle thankfully avoided. 

Literally the only reason Bionicle G1 ever felt any more consistent than Ninjago is because we were in constant dialogue with one of the writers, giving him freedom to make up whatever excuses he wanted for the many, MANY contradictions that sprung up over the years. 

I disagree here. Literally the only reason people actually noticed said "contradictions" is that they had to incorporate every single piece of media into a coherent canon so they could wave the authority of said canon around in a discussion.

The contradictions are mostly due to each piece of media telling a different story because of lack of communication and marketing prerogatives, not due to one form of media contradicting itself. For example, the book version of the story made sense, the movie version of the story made sense, the comic book version kinda made sense...but they all contradict each other.

I simply selected the version I liked the best and moved on, which is what most sensible people do. The fact that Greg was answering questions meant that he had to have definitive answers in spite of the media contradictions, which is what bred this idea that he was responsible for coherency. Frankly, throwing all the Bionicle media together and trying to resolve all the contradictions always made less sense to me than simply accepting that stories can be told differently and have different versions of themselves.

As for Ninjago, there are contradictions within the TV show itself, from my understanding...mostly I think it has to do with some characters remembering history incorrectly and trying to hide stuff, and a really weird time-travel episode that Bionicle thankfully avoided. 

Bionicle never had a time-travel episode, it's true. But that doesn't mean that its dealings with time didn't create contradictions or that those contradictions were always between different types of media. In Time Trap, Krakua sends a message to Vakama from the future, telling him that he will one day bear the burden of sending six heroes on a perilous quest (directly alluding to the Matoran who will become the Toa Inika). And yet Vakama never sent those Matoran on their quest. Nokama did! And this wasn't years apart, or in two different types of story media, or offhand lines that weren't very important in the first place. These were major moments in two books by the same author that came out one after the other!

I believe Greg explained this by saying Vakama not stopping those Matoran was tantamount to sending them himself. Which is an unbelievably flimsy explanation — after all, in the next book, when Dume announces to the Turaga that one of them had betrayed the others' trust by revealing to the Matoran where the Toa had gone and why, Vakama expresses disbelief that Jaller would ever be so reckless as to leave Metru Nui and bring other Matoran with him. It hadn't even occurred to Vakama that Jaller leaving was a risk, so there's no way it would have occurred to him to stop them.

I don't care how kiddy-y this will be. I don't care if they shove life lessons and manners in your face and ruin the characters. I am watching this.

Sticking some life lessons in could actually be an improvement, if it's handled well. Many of the lessons about unity in Bionicle (whether in G1 or G2) can feel pretty shallow, as if "unity" is merely about strength in numbers — so many conflicts over the years have been resolved with hardly any strategy beyond "let's all do the same thing to the same target at the same time". They're rarely explored from the perspective of how different people are good at different things, and those differences make them a stronger team. That sort of message about appreciating one another's differences can be a very valuable lesson for kids and adults alike, and can also result in some much more interesting stories since each character will get their own individual moment to shine, instead of all their biggest achievements being moments where they work together in perfect unison.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Obviously this is the tale of how Tahu and friends make the harrowing trip across the sea to One Island.  It's the crossover no one asked for, but everyone deep down knows they would absolutely watch in a heartbeat if it were real.

I didn't even write that idea down and you've stolen it out of my brain.

Stahp.

• Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest