The Wheel Of Time

Alex Humva

Searched using the nifty new search bar at the top of the screen, searched with ctrl-f, and I got nothing, so I'm reasonably confident that this is not a dupe.Discuss the Wheel of Time series, a series who's shortest book is nearly twice the size of Lord of the Ring's largest and has spawned over two decades now, with the final book coming out in March 2012. Bonuses of all those words is an intricate world filled with deep lore, and an extremely fleshed out magic system that has well grounded rules in place.I've read all of the books to this point and intend on being the first at my library when the final one comes out; I'm both looking forward and dreading the end. On one hand, the characters actually do something! On the other, it's the end; no more Rand, no more political scheming.There's a movie planned for it but the first book, being three times longer than LotR's first book, it's going be a little too long for proper adaption without three different movies.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

If they must make books that into film, take the Game of Thrones route and make TV shows with a season devoted to each book. :P It's worked pretty well so far.Anyway, I haven't read the Wheel of Time yet. With the huge reading list I have, I don't think I could manage such a long series with such big books. Heck A Song of Ice and Fire has taken me four months and I've only reached the third book. Once the last book of Wheel of Time comes out I'll consider going the whole way through. So sad that Robert Jordan was unable to finish the series in his time...

Edited by Bite My Shiny Metal Armour
exo-toa_battle.jpg

I recall reading one or two of the books before... My uncle's an avid fan of the series and plans to lend me every book he owns (which, coincidentally, happens to be every single one). I don't know what to expect. I know the few of them i read were kind of... boring at times. But maybe that's just because this was years ago as well.At the very least, i'm interested to see the writing style change, and to see if it's just as glaring for the first little bit as much Uncle claims.Of course, i know why it changes so it probably will :/

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

If they must make books that into film, take the Game of Thrones route and make TV shows with a season devoted to each book. :P It's worked pretty well so far.

No, no, no! That's how they ruined the Sword of Truth adaptation. Legend of the Seeker was a hodgepodge mess that hardly followed the books because there had to be subplots for each episode. I'm actually just starting to read A Game of Thrones, and I haven't seen the show, so perhaps it worked for Martin's books, but that method was an absolute flop with Goodkind's. It would be even worse with the Wheel of Time; it's far too complex to compact it into a TV show. Then again, if the movie's anything like Eragon, a movie would ruin the Wheel of Time as well.Sorry for the vehement reaction, but poor visual adaptations of awesome books has become an incredibly sore subject with me. :PThe Wheel of Time is without a doubt one of the most amazing series I've read; it's scope and attention to detail is awe-inspiring. I've only read the first four (The Shadow Rising being my favorite so far), but I'm eagerly awaiting my getting the next book. It's like drawing on the One Power; you can't get enough. :drooling:~Lord Rahl~

I got this for Christmas in 2008, or 2007, or something. Anyway, over the next year or so I read up through book eleven. I didn't get a chance to get ahold of Gathering Storm until just the other day, and I'll start it once I finish up rereading Brisingr, and read Inheritance if I can get ahold of that.Anyway, this series mostly appealed to me because it's just so long. I love long books because they entertain me for a while. But still, I'm getting kind of tired of it, and I'm sort of eager to finish them off.

button.png

Yeah, IMO, all the books until ten could of been much more easily condensed if all the fluff and pointless "let's sit around doing nothing!" stuff had been removed. But that's what makes it a Jordan book I guess. The last four though definitely get interesting though, because all those unresolved plot ones finally come to their end and things take on a new pace.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong