How is the Mask of Control not extremely powerful?

I mean, Control is such a broad concept. If I can control anything, that makes me...nearly omnipotent, doesn't it? :P

I think the first limitation they might throw on the Mask of Control is that you have to have the concentration/willpower/mental mastery to Control big things, so seizing control of the entire universe outright is out.

But still, I'm thinking that Makuta could Control the villager's liking/not liking of his masks using his mask. Or he could mind control his brother to make worse masks than him. If he used his mask, he could Control anything he wanted to within some degree of limits. 

I do think that jealously doesn't quite work that way - the Makuta might have thought that using his mask to change his admiration quotient was a cheap cop-out. (Or would the villagers view it as a cheap cop-out? But how would they know?) But then again, Ekimu was probably using his mask to enhance his mask making, so that might seem a bit odd - why couldn't Makuta use his?

Then - why did he think that making the Mask of Ultimate Power was the solution? At first glance, that mask actually seems weaker than the Mask of Control, since it only controls 6 elements whereas the Mask of Control controls (or can control) everything?

Why did Makuta make a "Mask of Ultimate Power" when he already had it on his face?

I imagined it more like telekinesis + mind control. So you can control stuff, but the MoUP lets you have full mastery over the six elements. Controlling is just one part of a Toa's power- creating, destroying, controlling and I don't know if absorbing is still part of a Toa's power now.

• Upvote 3

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I've always thought of it as a mask which helped with balancing or unbalancing design and element aspects of masks which Makuta made and gave to villagers. If this is to be the case, then it may explain why villagers were said to favor Ekimu's masks instead of his own, possibly due to Makuta not using his mask's power appropriately to achieve the crafting of well designed masks. That's just what I think, though. With the name Mask of Control, however, you would think that it's just a glorified Komau, as Click mentioned.

Makuta may have made the Mask of Ultimate Power in case the Mask of Control wasn't good enough for other uses. I'm not entirely sure, as anyone else. We're only just going into the second year, which should reveal more information regarding Makuta's schemes.

Edited by Rooster Nui

We don't yet know what the Mask of Control does. Chances are, it IS extremely powerful, like the Mask of Creation. But it's a huge stretch to assume that calling it the Mask of Control means it can control anything and everything. That'd be like asking "if Vakama wears the Mask of Concealment, why didn't he just use it to conceal the Vahi so Makuta couldn't find it?" Or "if Matau wears the Mask of Illusion, why didn't he just trap Makuta in an illusion where he's already won?" That's simply not within the scope of what those mask powers can do, even though those powers could theoretically be described as "concealment" and "illusion".

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

Or "if Matau wears the Mask of Illusion, why didn't he just trap Makuta in an illusion where he's already won?"

OR DID HE?

Dun dunnn!

IMHO, the MoCtrl was a glorified Komau, though it may have been slightly more powerful since even though Ekimu was the best, Makuta was still a decent mask maker in his own right.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

But what use would Mind Control be in creating masks and armor? Telekinesis makes more sense than anything. And since Telekinesis is a big word that lots of young kids might not know the definition of (believe me, some adults still have trouble telling the difference between telepathy and telekinesis), so calling the mask "Control," is a much better option. 

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Shadow makes a fair point, but it could be an all-new power entirely.

If a Komau, he didn't need to make a mask of ultimate power to gain favoritism. He could just force Ekimu to slip up. And if Telekinesis, then why would he need to hold his hammer? He could hammeraway with ease, or not even needa hammer and just force the mask into the shape he wanted.

I think it might be something along the lines of Vezok's power - harnessing your opponent's power and using it yourself.

So, it's the anti-order, pro-chaos argument? Didn't we debunk that already with the Lego Movie, how you need a balance between order and chaos to achieve true awesomeness? Unless...

OMG EKIMU IS EBIL TOO

Actually, maybe Ekimu is too chaotic, and the Toa have to show both him and Makuta that they need to be balanced and work together and be nice to each other and don't run with scissors and the heart of the cards, blah blah blah.

• Upvote 3

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I think it might be something along the lines of Vezok's power - harnessing your opponent's power and using it yourself.

Then why didn't he harness the power of Ekimu's Mask of Creation for himself? Or did he?

You forget, Vezok had to get hit with the power first.

i always assumed it was "control" as in control when working, making his masks very precise and well-crafted, but not very creative. hence, people liked Ekimu's "creation" based masks better than makuta's more standardized, "controlled" masks. o:

That was actually my theory as well- the idea being that Makuta's masks, while not terribly exciting, were sturdy and reliable whereas Ekimu's may have been more creative but less stable. Here, have an upvote.
  • Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

My theory is the Mask of Control is a "Jack of All Trades" mask. With the exception of legendary powers, assuming they are a thing in G2, it can control everything but only in small ways, especially compared to the Golden Masks. Makuta could stop the current of a river but not a tidal wave. He could change the temperature of an area but not to extreme levels and etc. I can also see it be argued that it could influence minds, but that may not be the case; it seems Makuta and Ekimu can do that without their masks.

The Mask of Control would also be useful for forging masks. Metal could easily be shaped and be cooled or heated more quickly. Also, if something did go wrong in the forge, Makuta would be able to stop it or contain power in masks more dangerous to make.

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

The Mask of Control's powers are purposefully left vague, IMO.

Either Lego wants to leave it a mystery as to what the mask can actually do, or they haven't yet decided what it does themselves.

IMO, I think the Mask of Control is similar to the One Ring in a certain way.

I believe it can control other masks by activating or deactivating its powers. 

By "activating" I mean the mask can use the powers of other masks.

This is just my theory, and nothing is concrete yet.

67685335.jpg             

i always assumed it was "control" as in control when working, making his masks very precise and well-crafted, but not very creative. hence, people liked Ekimu's "creation" based masks better than makuta's more standardized, "controlled" masks. o:

This.

This is exactly what I thought of when I heard "Mask of Control".

Or, at least, this is what I thought of when I hear of such a vaguely-named mask... in the context of being used by a craftsman.  I'm honestly surprised by the number of people who believe that it refers to controlling minds, controlling telekinesis, controlling the elements, et cetera.  As I said, "control" is a very broad term, but in the context of one of the two greatest craftsmen who spend their time in the forge making masks (with an old-fashioned hammer and anvil, not with telekinesis or other special powers), whilst keeping in mind that the other craftsman's mask power is "creation", does it really make sense for "control" to refer to a power like mind-control?

Then again, I suppose anything's possible.  This is BIONICLE we're talking about.  After all, what does a power like mind-control have to do with being the elder of a rock village?

But, I do see (and I like what I see) the parallels to Lord Business and the Master Builders from The LEGO Movie.  With the power of control, Makuta is Lord Business, carefully making sure that everything he makes is well-crafted and practical, however boring it may be.  With the power of creation, Ekimu is the Master Builder, coming up with designs that may not necessarily be practical, but are creative, extravagant, and awesome.  Just look at how the Mask of Control is perfectly symmetrical and refined, but largely overshadowed by the needlessly ornate design of the Mask of Creation.  What does that tell you?

As an example, Ekimu and Makuta are both assigned to create a Mask of Jungle.  Ekimu crafts an extravagant mask that pulls together colors like lime and teal, even though teal has been out of production for ten years and lime is notorious for breaking, but it looks pretty darn cool and everybody loves it.  Makuta consistently and carefully sticks to one shade of green, making a mask that is uniform in appearance and is practical for production, but green is not a creative color and everyone ignores it.

Cue Makuta's jealousy... and grumbled complaints that he's stuck with a lousy mask power like "precision and control" instead of something cool like "mind-control".  Time for a new mask power!  Or rather, a new ultimate mask power...

• Upvote 5

But, I do see (and I like what I see) the parallels to Lord Business and the Master Builders from The LEGO Movie.  With the power of control, Makuta is Lord Business, carefully making sure that everything he makes is well-crafted and practical, however boring it may be.  With the power of creation, Ekimu is the Master Builder, coming up with designs that may not necessarily be practical, but are creative, extravagant, and awesome.  Just look at how the Mask of Control is perfectly symmetrical and refined, but largely overshadowed by the needlessly ornate design of the Mask of Creation.  What does that tell you?

Why did no one just explain it like this? While I do prefer the idea that it is telekinesis, something more symbolic of a theme LEGO has been playing with for years makes a heck of a lot of sense. 

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

So, it's the anti-order, pro-chaos argument? Didn't we debunk that already with the Lego Movie, how you need a balance between order and chaos to achieve true awesomeness? Unless...

OMG EKIMU IS EBIL TOO

Actually, maybe Ekimu is too chaotic, and the Toa have to show both him and Makuta that they need to be balanced and work together and be nice to each other and don't run with scissors and the heart of the cards, blah blah blah.

There could very well be a similar moment of reconciliation in store for Ekimu and Makuta further down the line. It's important to remember that the Mask of Control isn't what made Makuta evil. It was his jealousy that made him evil. And the evil thing he did was creating a new mask — a Mask of Ultimate Power.

Rather than the lesson being that the Mask of Control was inferior to Ekimu's Mask of Creation, perhaps Makuta simply didn't appreciate the mask's benefits, because they didn't result in his masks getting the same praise as Ekimu's.

Edited by Aanchir

• 6 months later...

my idea mixes all of your ideas a little bit imagine this what if the mask controls molecular structure so makuta can alter the fundamental aspect of objects hes touching including himself and since energy and mass are able to turn into each other he can change elemental propertys of creations while the one drawback it only works on basic mask shapes and elemental beings such as umerack 

Having trouble keeping your mask firmly attached to your face? Well then stop being Lewa!

my idea mixes all of your ideas a little bit imagine this what if the mask controls molecular structure so makuta can alter the fundamental aspect of objects hes touching including himself and since energy and mass are able to turn into each other he can change elemental propertys of creations while the one drawback it only works on basic mask shapes and elemental beings such as umerack 

Please check the date of the last reply before posting - if it's been over 60 days, it's best to leave the topic alone and start a new one rather than posting and reviving.

Revived topic closed.