OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

Have they gotten any others or just these guys?

I can't speak on behalf of BZP, but I think they have all the sets. I know for a fact they have Gali and Umarak, in addition to the sets they already reviewed (Onua, Terak, and Akida).

Does anyone know if the Kopaka and Melum set comes with a shadow trap? 

Kopaka and Melum do not include a Shadow Trap, although Eurobricks mod VBBN confirmed that Umarak's shoulder armor can be transformed into a Shadow Trap using a couple parts from the set.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

BS01 has a really nice Lewa review!

I absolutely love Lewa's design! It's so coherent and uses some really creative techniques for the upper arms and lower legs. I do think that he could use more yellow (which makes for a great accent color on Uxar), because his color scheme doesn't "pop" quite as much as Gali's or even the 2015 Lewa's, but other than that he's a stellar design, probably my favorite of the new 2016 Toa.

• Upvote 3

Lewa 2015 was one of my favorite sets from the first round of the Toa being released. Lewa 2016 here also looks like a good set, though I kind of like his first Gen 2 set a little more. 

I still may get this set. The only one I know for sure I'm getting is Umarak. I may get Lewa 2016 after that, but I haven't decided yet.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Lewa 2016 is overall better than Lewa 2015, but I cannot get around the fact that they replaced much of his yellow with... more silver. I already felt Lewa 2015 felt a little washed out (though not as much as Gali, who is definitely more colorful-looking this year), but I would take Lewa 2015's amount of silver over this overbearing amount anyday.

• Upvote 1

I think for me, 2016 and 2015 are equal. My qualms with 2015 have been more or less fixed, but a few new problems have arisen as well. I will say that I like these sets more subjectively, due to the combining feature. It's just wayyy too cool man. There are texture clashes and stuff, but I think the only people that really care about that kind of thing are those that are HIGHLY detail oriented, which is a niche group anyway. There are a few coloring issues and decisions that I personally don't agree with, but otherwise the sets are pretty solid to me. I'm not sure if I'll buy them all, and I kind of regret buying all of the Winter 2015 sets because the only set out of that wave that seemed perfect to me was Gali. Not to say I didn't like the other sets, but Gali certainly had less posing and aesthetic issues than the rest. A few of them also felt a bit too samey despite all of them having varied builds (Tahu, Pohatu, even Lewa to a small extent).

Edited by Tarvaxx

I'm getting more 2015 sets. Though I might pick up a To a just for the twisting torso pieces.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I spotted the Kopaka + Melum set at the LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Atlanta. Here's pictures as proof:

23140996134_3d68506291_b.jpg

^ On the shelf

23660685402_efaf2cb819_b.jpg

^ At home and opened, with Melum built and some of the exclusive pieces that I didn't use. You're only seeing Kopaka's legs because I built him differently as opposed to the model within. You'll see how he looks later. :D

It may be possible that one or more of the Bionicle 2016 sets are at your nearest LEGOLAND gift shop (probably depends on the Stocking and Retail crew at each LEGOLAND park.) Have a look and see, but do so quickly. If there's anything to be learned from the Summer 2015 wave, only a few new sets were put on the shelves early at this particular LEGOLAND Discovery Center, and once they sold, they didn't restock until at least another two months, give or take. I'll be checking the nearest LEGO Stores as well, though I personally suspect that they're not at those just yet.

Edited by The Night's King
  • Upvote 3

The Night King's BIONICLE 2.0 Collection
Toa Masters: [IIIIII] Toa Uniters: [IIIIII] Protectors: [IIIIII] Creatures: [IIIIII] Mask Maker: [II] Shadow Spawn: [III] Umarak: [II]
Kulta's Horde: [II]

"...The cold winds shall rise, and the dead shall rise with them..."

"And all the world shall feel... our... FREEZE!"

I spotted the Kopaka + Melum set at the LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Atlanta. Here's pictures as proof:

^ On the shelf

^ At home and opened, with Melum built and some of the exclusive pieces that I didn't use. You're only seeing Kopaka's legs because I built him differently as opposed to the model within. You'll see how he looks later. :D

It may be possible that one or more of the Bionicle 2016 sets are at your nearest LEGOLAND gift shop (probably depends on the Stocking and Retail crew at each LEGOLAND park.) Have a look and see, but do so quickly. If there's anything to be learned from the Summer 2015 wave, only a few new sets were put on the shelves early at this particular LEGOLAND Discovery Center, and once they sold, they didn't restock until at least another two months, give or take. I'll be checking the nearest LEGO Stores as well, though I personally suspect that they're not at those just yet.

Nice! Hopefully they'll be ready for purchase on amazon soon. 

It's time to move on.

^ On the shelf

Anyways, that is a neat find. I believe it was around this time last year when the 2015 Bionicle sets started showing up at my local stores. Maybe the 2016 ones will also be put shelves soon too.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I've been wondering what's with all the anti-greeble sentiment with fans. Are you guys just used to smooth CCBS pieces or something? I personally disliked the lack of detail on a lot of sets. Plus, greebles are a major part of BIONICLE's aesthetic.

From what I have seen most fans find the sets to be too greebley. It doesn't look that good.

The surprise was vampires!

I've been wondering what's with all the anti-greeble sentiment with fans. Are you guys just used to smooth CCBS pieces or something? I personally disliked the lack of detail on a lot of sets. Plus, greebles are a major part of BIONICLE's aesthetic.

Greeble is okay, but too much greeble is not. I do like the new "Unity piece," but the torso shell over-does it. Two, maybe four pistons on an otherwise mostly-smooth surface would have looked a lot better, in my opinion.

Aside from the torso shell, though, the new sets don't look too greebled - and the torso shell does not really bother me like it did the staff in their livestream.

To answer your question about smooth CCBS though, I'm not "just used to it." G2 Bionicle was my first exposure to CCBS. I do like the smooth aesthetic, however, and I think that the 2015 Bionicle sets had a good balance between smooth and detailed.

IetTsFQ.png

The new torso plate has upwards of 20 pistons on it, all crammed in a small area and not even seeming like functional pistons. Even at its height of pointless patterning, G1 Bionicle didn't have that level of overdetail in the form of pistons alone.

A decent amount of greeble can work as an accent, or visual interest. But greeble for the sake of greeble, just completely smothering a set in detail? Not only does it seriously detract from the versatility of a piece, and make it difficult to build cohesive MOCs, it's just plain ugly.

The new torso piece is absolute rubbish, what was wrong with the old one that needed to be replaced?

There is exactly one functional advantage the new torso shell has over the old one—like the Star Wars torso shell from this year, it allows for more space between the torso beam and torso shell for Technic functions and structural modifications. Several of the new Toa's builds rely on the new torso shell's size in ways that the old torso shell+chestplate couldn't allow for,

That's not to say I LIKE the new torso shell. A new torso shell could've been designed with that same advantage but with more than one connection point, or without the overabundance of pistons. But the old torso shell was not perfect for all applications, either, so the implication that it could not be improved or justifiably replaced is somewhat misguided.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ahhh awesome!

Here is the Official Set Sightings thread, might be a good idea to kick off the next round of sightings in that topic.

It's been just almost four months since the last post on that thread, though... Wouldn't that be a problem, reviving that topic and all that?

Toa Masters: [IIIIII] Toa Uniters: [IIIIII] Protectors: [IIIIII] Creatures: [IIIIII] Mask Maker: [II] Shadow Spawn: [III] Umarak: [II]

Ahhh awesome!

Here is the Official Set Sightings thread, might be a good idea to kick off the next round of sightings in that topic.

It's been just almost four months since the last post on that thread, though... Wouldn't that be a problem, reviving that topic and all that?

Topics with "Official" in the title are exempt from revival. So are pinned topics!

By the way, lucky find, there.

The new torso plate has upwards of 20 pistons on it, all crammed in a small area and not even seeming like functional pistons. Even at its height of pointless patterning, G1 Bionicle didn't have that level of overdetail in the form of pistons alone.

A decent amount of greeble can work as an accent, or visual interest. But greeble for the sake of greeble, just completely smothering a set in detail? Not only does it seriously detract from the versatility of a piece, and make it difficult to build cohesive MOCs, it's just plain ugly.

I like that word. Greeble. Sounds like a Pokémon. Greeble.

What I don't like is the overabundance of it (greeble) on this years sets. The old torsos were busy too, but that was texture and connection points in addition to pistons. Greeble. I don't want this to be the first warning sign that G2 is going to fall into the design trap of 'like the first but more', like video game sequels and the l Star Wars prequel trilogy.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I think the new torso shells are okay. They're not terrible to me like a lot of people are saying, but they're a lot better than the normal CCBS shells. The default one is so boring and looks cheap. (That said, some other ones look better. I think the silver one on Kopaka and Gail 2015 looks fine.) Yeah this new one isn't good for MOCs but for me at least aesthetically its more interesting. Yes it could have been toned down a bit to look better (like maybe getting rid of the pistons on the sides) but I still like the look, and for something like this I don't feel having pistons in realistic places is needed. Going with the abstract angle is fine.

Edited by hiddenderek

I spotted the Kopaka + Melum set at the LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Atlanta. Here's pictures as proof: 23140996134_3d68506291_b.jpg^ On the shelf 23660685402_efaf2cb819_b.jpg^ At home and opened, with Melum built and some of the exclusive pieces that I didn't use. You're only seeing Kopaka's legs because I built him differently as opposed to the model within. You'll see how he looks later. :DIt may be possible that one or more of the Bionicle 2016 sets are at your nearest LEGOLAND gift shop (probably depends on the Stocking and Retail crew at each LEGOLAND park.) Have a look and see, but do so quickly. If there's anything to be learned from the Summer 2015 wave, only a few new sets were put on the shelves early at this particular LEGOLAND Discovery Center, and once they sold, they didn't restock until at least another two months, give or take. I'll be checking the nearest LEGO Stores as well, though I personally suspect that they're not at those just yet.

Bruh. How do you even?!!?!? Bruh.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Ahhh awesome!

Topics with "Official" in the title are exempt from revival. So are pinned topics!

By the way, lucky find, there.

"I was born lucky." LOL.

And uh, I suppose the same answer could apply to... whatever it is you are attempting to ask, Toa Imrukii

• Upvote 1

They had to replace the gear function due to the unity function. I am sure that the gear function we got in 2015 will return in 2017, perhaps then we may even get a mix of the two, swinging arms, and twisting waists.

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

The new torso piece is absolute rubbish, what was wrong with the old one that needed to be replaced?

As many G2 haters will tell you, the old one was smooth. That's bad, apparently.

I kinda feel bad for TLG. First people want more detailed pieces that remind them of G1, but when we do get them, they dislike 'em.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

As many G2 haters will tell you, the old one was smooth. That's bad, apparently.

I kinda feel bad for TLG. First people want more detailed pieces that remind them of G1, but when we do get them, they dislike 'em.

Different people, different opinions. If you listen only to the people who complain the loudest, then of course the Bionicle fandom is going to seem fickle or contradictory, because no set is ever going to be able to please everybody.

Of course, there's also another factor, which is that adding more detail willy-nilly doesn't necessarily make things more like G1. The Autobots from the Transformers film franchise are packed with detail, but I don't think you'll find a lot of people confusing them for G1 Toa. There are specific ways different series use detail that set them apart from one another.

When comparing the new Toa to G1 Bionicle, the new Toa have 23 pistons on their torsos alone (counting the torso shell and the unity piece on their backs). There aren't any G1 Toa that can be said for. The 2008 version of Onua had just 12 pistons on his torso, and most had far fewer. The Toa Metru had just 23 pistons in their entire bodies. Put too many pistons on a design and it can start to feel like meaningless decoration rather than functional mechanisms.

Now, I'm not sure how many people complaining about the 2015 sets care about this distinction and how many simply believe that "more detail=better". But I'm sure that just as there are people who like this year's Toa and dislike next year's, or who like next year's and dislike this year's, there are also people who like or dislike the Toa from both years, and many will have different reasons for feeling that way.

Personally, I like some of the 2016 Toa (particularly Lewa and Gali), but I don't like any of the 2016 Toa individually as much as I liked the 2015 Toa in general. I feel like it's much easier to single out things I DON'T like about the 2016 Toa than about their 2015 counterparts.

Edited by Aanchir

@Aanchir I find myself kind of in the middle (in terms of liking 2015 and 2016). See, I was an early adopter of CCBS. After BIONICLE ended, I embraced Hero Factory and bought a majority of its sets, brain attack being the only exemption and I still got Dragon Bolt. I like both cohesive detailing AND smooth plating.

That said, I didn't love 2015 the same way everyone else seems to. The sets themselves were really good, and utilized CCBS better than HF ever did, but at the same time I'm really tired of seeing the same torso shells year after year. I'm not saying that they should be abandoned, but increased variety is what I would prefer.

This is probably why I loved the designs of Kopaka, Gali, and even Pohatu a bit more than the other Toa. Not because the other Toa were poorly designed or anything, it's just that the brain attack torso shell isn't as drilled into my conscience as the 2.0 torso shell. that shell has been around for so long that it really just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Now, moving onto 2016, the builds can be a bit wonky and iffy and the colors have gotten... very questionable. They're still very solid sets, toy-wise, and they do what they set out to do. The new torso piece, while welcomed by me extensively for being something new, is too busy. I'm not saying that torsos shouldn't have detailing, mind you, it's just that there are waaay too many pistons on the darn thing. The torso would have been fine in my eyes if the four main pistons on the abdomen and the two around the collar were the only pistons on it, but they decided to just put them everywhere rather than maybe using some crystal-like designs to make it fit in with the new crystal add-on. I'm not much of a MOCist, so I don't have any qualms with the top part not being an add-on, but I would like much more cohesion in the future.

This wave seems to be a hit or miss for the community, for me it's equal with 2015. It does a lot of good things, but also does a lot of questionable things. 2015 was more of the same with a bit of new for me so it doesn't rank as high as it does for BIONICLE fans using CCBS for the first time, therefore they have a bit more bias. Or maybe I'm the biased one since I used CCBS before BIONICLE came back. Who knows? I don't.

Edit: Do you know what I'd really like? An advanced torso piece that would allow for several different add-ons so that that the sets that used it could have the type of variety a LEGO set has. Imagine being able to sculpt out a unique chest build by using different small add-ons. It's completely impossible right now, but it's an idea that I'd love to see become reality nonetheless.

Edited by Tarvaxx

Anyone remember that fan-made torso piece reminiscent of the Toa Mata body?

I wish I could buy them in tones of silver & gold that matches Lego's dye so I could replace the new torso shell, at least it stuck with two pistons on the entire thing instead of 23 pistons that seem to be only useful for flexing the toa's pecs.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

23 pistons that seem to be only useful for flexing the toa's pecs.

Lewa: Hey, check this out! *Pec flex*

Tahu: This is how a real To a does it *Macho pec flex*

Onua: Hah! Watch this! *Tectonic Pec Flex*

Kopaka and Pohatu: Nope, can't beat that.

*Everyone looks at Gali*

Gali: Oh, no.

• Upvote 5

Yeah the pistons are ridiculous. If it was designed better, the piece would be great, it has a great shape but all those pistons are just slapped on there and serve no logical purpose. It's almost like the designer was fed up with youtube and facebook comments complaining about a lack of detail on the 2015 sets and was like "You want pistons? Oh I'll give you pistons, you ungrateful cretins!" Joking aside, my biggest complaint with the piece is the utter lack of reusibillity with only one measly socket joint. I'm honestly shocked that it made it through the design process without it being rejected for that sole reason. After all, isn't LEGO all about creativity and endless possibilities? I would have thought it would at least have bar attachment points or holes for system bars, anything really. I guess the piece is just supposed to be a one-off and will never be used again in future sets.

Edited by ToaDraco
  • Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I'm very curious about one thing with the new waist articulation. Is there anyone who has a lego brick like 2001 pohatu brown rock or any variation of it and can you test if the new vaist articulation can be used in any form to have pohatu kick the stone.

Sure he may not have a fast kick like 2001 but if he can kick it then his kohlii legacy lives on in G2

qs3135.jpg

I'm very curious about one thing with the new waist articulation. Is there anyone who has a lego brick like 2001 pohatu brown rock or any variation of it and can you test if the new vaist articulation can be used in any form to have pohatu kick the stone.

Sure he may not have a fast kick like 2001 but if he can kick it then his kohlii legacy lives on in G2

That wouldn't work. The gear turns the upper body, not the lower.

I mean, you could hold the upper body and turn the gear with the lower half, but overall it's probably only about as effective as just swinging the full set around to make it "kick" the rock.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I mean, you could hold the upper body and turn the gear with the lower half, but overall it's probably only about as effective as just swinging the full set around to make it "kick" the rock.

You'd be turning the mechanism, which kinda defeats its purpose. BUT I do think this torso might be better for the kicking pohatu mocs than the 2015 one.