Painting Aide

Hey guys.

I have a Kanohi Ignika from Shapeways coming in today and I plan to paint it. Anyone have tips for a first timer?

I figure that like with any kind of painting, you have layers. So I'll start with black because I want it to have a older feel. But I also want to make it unearthly: old, yet there is a strange energy emitting from it to show that it is mystical and alive. How would i go about capturing that?

I've been wanting to get Warhammer 40k figures and I have noticed that they have great paint selections. Would Citadel paints be compatible with Bionicle sets and it's type of plastic (as opposed to the material it's supposed to be used on, W40K figures)?

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I've found that citadel paints work pretty well on most Bionicle masks. Make sure you use a spray primer on the mask first, it makes the paint stick much better and will prevent chipping in most situations. As for getting the desired look, I would suggest using a bright color on the inset portions of the mask, then doing some drybrushing/weathering on the rest of it to give it that aged look. Games Workshop has a lot of good painting tutorials like this one for lots of painting techniques, so perusing those a bit should help immensely. You might even want to do some rough sanding on the mask to get a nice weathered texture to it.

• Upvote 3

I've found that citadel paints work pretty well on most Bionicle masks. Make sure you use a spray primer on the mask first, it makes the paint stick much better and will prevent chipping in most situations. As for getting the desired look, I would suggest using a bright color on the inset portions of the mask, then doing some drybrushing/weathering on the rest of it to give it that aged look. Games Workshop has a lot of good painting tutorials like this one for lots of painting techniques, so perusing those a bit should help immensely. You might even want to do some rough sanding on the mask to get a nice weathered texture to it.

Spray primer. Alright, makes sense.

I painted a couple of masks when I was a kid (had a surplus on Mirus) and a while later the paint began to chip and then peel off, resulting in a rubbery shell in the shape of the masks.

'Inset portions'? What's that/What are those?

'Rough sanding'? How would I do that? Only kind of sanding I know is the kind applied to wood (thanks Tonka).

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on the circumstances), 3D printed masks are pretty rough. I doubt you'll need to do much sanding, if any. It might be best to leave it out entirely to avoid weakening the mask.

"Inset portions" in this case would refer to inside the cheek vents, inside the crest over the eyes, and maybe between the ridges on the side and the mouth area. Just any location that's a bit "lower" than the surrounding details.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the clarification Clickmeister. Much appreciated.

The product came in today. Here is a picture ...or two (I hope it isn't too big):

img_20151112_164442.jpgimg_20151112_165142.jpg

EDIT: First background is actually my desktop background. It's fan art from John Carter of Mars.

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 1 month later...

I got paint (including spray paint) and brushes for Christmas (thank ol' Nikolas at Bari)! Before I begin painting my Kanohi Ignika, I wanted to know if I should have other things and other specifics such as: what should my mask be on as I spray paint it? Should I wear a mask? Do I need a stand of some sort for the mask while it is being painted on or is it fine being painted on while on a flat surface? Should I wear gloves? Eye protection (goggles)? The spray can says this stuff can give me cancer, what are the specifics on that? :lol:

As this is an update I thought it would be fine if there was a double post. Staffers, please do correct me if I am wrong.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I got paint (including spray paint) and brushes for Christmas (thank ol' Nikolas at Bari)! Before I begin painting my Kanohi Ignika, I wanted to know if I should have other things and other specifics such as: what should my mask be on as I spray paint it? Should I wear a mask? Do I need a stand of some sort for the mask while it is being painted on or is it fine being painted on while on a flat surface? Should I wear gloves? Eye protection (goggles)? The spray can says this stuff can give me cancer, what are the specifics on that? :lol:

As this is an update I thought it would be fine if there was a double post. Staffers, please do correct me if I am wrong.

I usually put my masks on a stand when I'm priming them so that no part of the mask touches anything before the primer dries (besides the connection point, but you won't be seeing much of that as it is). Plus if you use a stand you shouldn't get any primer on your hands so you won't have to wear gloves. As for a mask, as long as you're in a well ventilated area (i.e. outside) you shouldn't need one. Just be sure to spray away from any sort of air intake. The chance for cancer is pretty small from what I understand, as long as you aren't huffing the paint.

I usually put my masks on a stand when I'm priming them so that no part of the mask touches anything before the primer dries (besides the connection point, but you won't be seeing much of that as it is). Plus if you use a stand you shouldn't get any primer on your hands so you won't have to wear gloves. As for a mask, as long as you're in a well ventilated area (i.e. outside) you shouldn't need one. Just be sure to spray away from any sort of air intake. The chance for cancer is pretty small from what I understand, as long as you aren't huffing the paint.

Alright, thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it.

How do you have your stand set up? I have a small one but it I made it out of Bionicle pieces and I don't necessarily want to get paint on the pieces.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

How do you have your stand set up? I have a small one but it I made it out of Bionicle pieces and I don't necessarily want to get paint on the pieces.

I try to use technic pieces for the most part, usually just an axle and a basic connector depending on what the connection is for the mask I'm priming.

• 2 weeks later...

I began painting today. I sprayed on the primer (I didn't know it was white). 4 hours later I sprayed on another layer. I am starting to question if this was a good idea, for I can see the paint start to clump like it's about to drip, and the thickness now makes the Kanohi Ignika have some of the same organic features that the Kanohi Akaku Nuva had, which is not what I want (though it seems kind of neat). Is there some way to remove the extra paint? I tried shaking the mask (via the connected rod) but none dripped off.  I tried lightly dabbing a side with newspaper but that messed up the smoothness.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Is that really necessary? Besides, I don't have a sander.

I have the mask outside, should I bring it in? It's been out there since 4:30 PM and it's almost 8 PM

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I began painting today. I sprayed on the primer (I didn't know it was white). 4 hours later I sprayed on another layer. I am starting to question if this was a good idea, for I can see the paint start to clump like it's about to drip, and the thickness now makes the Kanohi Ignika have some of the same organic features that the Kanohi Akaku Nuva had, which is not what I want (though it seems kind of neat). Is there some way to remove the extra paint? I tried shaking the mask (via the connected rod) but none dripped off.  I tried lightly dabbing a side with newspaper but that messed up the smoothness.

It sounds like you were either spraying too close to the mask, or spraying too much primer on at once. You really only need one coat for small things like kanohi, but the only way to get the excess primer off is like Click said, with sanding. You don't need a sander though, just some 400-600 grit sanding paper should do, which you can find at hardware stores and hobby shops. Make sure next time you prime to hold the can about eight inches away from the mask and do quick passes to avoid drips and globs.

It sounds like you were either spraying too close to the mask, or spraying too much primer on at once. You really only need one coat for small things like kanohi, but the only way to get the excess primer off is like Click said, with sanding. You don't need a sander though, just some 400-600 grit sanding paper should do, which you can find at hardware stores and hobby shops. Make sure next time you prime to hold the can about eight inches away from the mask and do quick passes to avoid drips and globs.

Well I've got a small sanding paper-strip from a Dav Vinci wooden model I'm currently working on (the aerial screw), I hope that will fix it. The top half is fine but the bottom half has some Kanohi Nuva look going on. From what you said, I did it wrong: being too close and spraying too much at one time (not mentioning the extra layer added 4 hours later). I hope my errors can be fixed, don't want to ruin a $20 little piece of plastic. 

If I remember, I'll continue work on it tomorrow.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png