Least Favorite Parts of the Movies?

What are the moments or things from the bionicle DVDs you didn't like?

I always thought that the lack of elemental powers in the second movie was weird. Why didn't Lhikan use his powers to escape? He could've just shot a fireball at Krekka and Nhidiki to slow them down, buying him more time to escape. He could've also at least been kind enough to tell one of the matoran like Nokama what they can do as toa and have them pass on their knowledge to the others. I also found it stupid that the Toa Metru ran off without taking a few minutes to see what they can do as toa. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I for one enjoyed the stylization given in the Bionicle Trilogy save a couple of exceptions.

Least favorite moments? Hmm, lets see...

• Scarabax-Malum in TLR
  • Tellerius on the Skopio in TLR (the way it was presented it seemed like a wild natural Skopio and Tellerius looked he was part of the animal)
  • Tuma's character development was assassinated in TLR
  • Kiina's "WOOHOO!" in TLR
  • Berix's voice actor in TLR
  • Rock Steeds sounded like friggin' horses instead of accepted sounds for therapods in TLR
  • Skrall and Bone Hunters are mute and grunt like derpy brutes in TLR
  • Mata-Nui* was tropical in TLR
  • Whenua's infamous line from Web of Shadows: "'Cause that's what friends are for!" *shudders*
  • Vakama going evil in Web of Shadows (couldn't they have given it to a non-fire character, like Matau? Not to mention he seemed better fit for it)
  • Lack of elemental powers in Legends of Metru-Nui
  • A LOT of skimming over of story in Legends of Metru-Nui (why did the Morbuzahk get only one scene, yet Makuta's talking to himself was felt necessary?)
  • Lego using a lot of influence from The Lord of the Rings in Mask of Light when the Peter Jackson movies were coming out at that time in an attempt to get moolah.
  • Graphical glitches in Mask of Light.
  • Onua idiotically destroying Onu-Koro in Mask of Light but blames it on the rahkshi.
  • How Takua's survival in Mask of Light was handled ("IF WE JUST BELIEVE, HE WILL RETURN AT THIS MOMENT WHILE STANDING ON THIS 'THING' WE JUST DISCOVERED!")
  • Jaller's voice in Mask of Light (might as well be saying "surf's up-- maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!")
  • Makuta's voice in the movies.

In short, I love Bionicle, but the movies can make me feel embarrassed to associate myself with it (except the music, love Nathan Furst's music).

* (Notice that I use hyphens for places and spaces for characters in Matoran, Mata-Nui (island), Mata Nui (Great Spirit)) *

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

My least favorite thing about the movies is that they always hijacked the important parts out of any given year, which meant everything else in the year both didn't really matter and often left an incomplete picture of everything that happened (and in the worst cases the stuff in the movie didn't really fit with what came before it). The comics from movie years are the worst.

• Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

Didn't Legends of Metru Nui cut out all of the Morbuzahk plot?

It made one appearance in the movie, with Vakama ending up upside-down, tied up in the Morbuzahk, and holding the red Great Disk with his chin against his chest.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I like how Tuma was reduced from leader of a dying tribe to stereotypical villain. I also agree with Teridax's mask of shadows, it's stupid that it doesn't resemble the titan set form. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

My biggest problem with the movies was their endings. Mask of Light had an atrocious ending that made absolutely no sense to even die-hard fans, Legends of Metru Nui failed to explain that Mata Nui was above Metru Nui, and Web of Shadows... well, Web of Shadows probably had the best ending, but it relied completely on Legends of Metru Nui to be understandable.

Even The Legend Reborn suffered from a poor ending. It wasn't as confusing as in the original trilogy, but... giant Malum formed of beetles? Tuma losing all his strategic thinking and intelligence? Agori pulling continent-sized robot pieces with ropes? Yeah...

• Upvote 2

One of my least favorite moments would have to be the Tuma vs. Mata Nui fight in The Legend Reborn. If that movie was all that you knew of the 2009 storyline, then you've seen Tuma as a bad leader who easily beaten by someone who just learned how to fight. But for those who read the Empire of the Skrall serial, as well as read the comics and books of that year, they saw this movie turn one of the more interesting characters of this arc of Bionicle into a weak leader who couldn't win a battle against a rookie in fights. That movie did Tuma a great disservice IMO.

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Yeah the whole Mask/Face animation was a disaster. The Pakari mouth for Takua for example. Or the creepy little teeth on the characters in Legend Reborn. For all the criticism we can give to the new 2015 animations, we have to give them credit for their simple, yet effective Mask animations; they are expressive and still come across as being a mask. Plus the new animations dare to show the characters maskless: in the old movies it was obvious they were avoiding it, most blatantly in Legends of Metru Nui with Jaller or the "mask on a mask" Vahi...

Oh and the way Matoran were depicted as children in the original triology. The lore had established the Matoran as hard working and mature, but the movies threw it out.

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Jaller's quote, "I've only rode a second" in mask of light.

The lack of all the story stuff that happened before legends of metru nui.

The destruction of Sidorak's character and lack story stuff in web of shadows.

The teeth and hero factory-ness of legend reborn.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I consider the BIONICLE films to be guilty pleasures.  I still enjoy them, but... they're objectively bad.  How bad?  So bad, it actually took me a couple hours to write up a post that was intended to briefly summarize a few flaws with each film and nearly ended up becoming a lengthy novel about Mask of Light's ending.

Mask of Light:

• The casting choice to make the Matoran sound like teenagers.  It's particularly glaring when it comes to Jaller.  Try reading any of Jaller's dialogue in Mata Nui Online Game or the Wall of History animations; for me, the voice of a stern soldier, hardened from a lifetime of combat and strife, comes to mind.  Even if I do find amusement in the anecdote about how Takua and Jaller switched voice actors because of the physical conditions of their scripts... I'm just unable to hear Matoran when they speak.  I just hear young voice actors.
  • Reverting character development just so they could re-undergo that development in the movie.  What's that?  Takua stepped up as a courageous and resourceful leader of the Matoran?  Nope, we have to make him duty-shirking and irresponsible so that he can develop that courage and resourcefulness... again.  What's that?  The Toa Nuva have finally learned to overcome their differences and work together?  Nope, we need to have them not get along and refuse to cooperate for petty reasons just so they can learn that friendship is important... again.
  • The walking disaster that dares to call itself "Onua".  A lot of character personalities were horribly mistreated in this film (hippie Lewa, anyone?), but this is undoubtedly the worst.  Onua was always my favorite of the original Toa Mata/Nuva team because I thought his character provided an interesting contrast from the typical "dumb brute" trope: he was noted for his incredible physical strength, but had a very reserved personality and was considered the wisest of the Toa, carefully assessing a situation before taking action so that he would not place his allies in danger.  I suppose, in yet another example of Mask of Light shamelessly ripping off lovingly pulling inspiration from The Lord of the Rings, Miramax decided that the depiction of Gimli as dim and boisterous in the Peter Jackson films was such a big hit among the audience that they had to give Toa "WELCOME TO ONU-KORO" Onua a similar treatment.  And what do we get?  A typical dumb brute.  No, worse than a dumb brute.  An idiot who, when confronted by three enemies he knows nothing about, proceeds to blow up half of Onu-Koro without a second thought (to no avail), jumps into hand-to-hand combat with Vorohk (to no avail), and then blows up the other half of Onu-Koro, nearly killing everyone inside (still to no avail!).  Ugh.  Thankfully, unlike Sidorak, this personality did not stick around.
  • The Rahkshi magically losing all their competence during the battle for Kini-Nui.  It's a common complaint that six Rakhshi were unstoppable foes while armies of Rahkshi were mere cannon fodder in later years... but would you believe me if I told you that all that "cannon fodder" can be traced back to this moment?  The very same Rahkshi that destroyed villages and kicked Toa butts suddenly succumbed to Rahkshi Idleness Syndrome: a fatal disease that causes the infected individual to just stand still while the Toa kick their butts and freeze them in ice and glass.  Oh, and Kurahk hits Turahk in the face.  Just like that, they lost all credibility as villains.
  • The ending.  I could rant and rant and rant about this, but that would take up a whole post of its own, so I'll just summarize here.  Everything starting with the infamous five words, "... a simple game of Kohlii".  Now it's Makuta's turn to lose all credibility as a villain.  Sure, we can look back on it post-Time Trap and say Makuta was a devious schemer who was only just toying with Takanuva, but that's not the character that Miramax had in mind in 2003.  That's not the final showdown that three years of BIONICLE had been building up to.  It was a major, major letdown.  I'll give the film credit that, at least, the cinematography is trying its darndest to make the Kohlii match look like an epic showdown... but the problem is, at the end of the day, it's still a Kohlii match.  That's Makuta losing the battle because he got hit in the chest with a Kohlii ball.  And then, he spews some gibberish about "My duty is to the Mask of Shadows!" that made no sense back then and make no sense now... maybe because he was possibly intended to be a tragic villain who was corrupted by the Kanohi Kraakhan, but that's not the villain that we ultimately got, resulting in this scene being confusing and pointless in both the film and the overall saga.  Then, Takanuva and Makuta fall in Makuta's swimming pool (Oh, wait, that's Energized Protodermis? Good thing the film tells us... no, wait, it doesn't? Well, maybe the novelization... nope, C.A. Hapka calls it mercury. Good luck figuring this out if you aren't a hardcore BIONICLE fan!), and emerge as Takutanuva.  So, what does the character who was hyped up as the most powerful being in the universe do?  Opens a door.  Yeah, so Makuta apparently guards a door that's suddenly relevant, but never really explained why.  What else does he do?  He brings Jaller back to life, at the cost of his own life.  Normally, I would criticize the undoing of a major character sacrifice that provided the hero's motivations, but since the hero had to sacrifice his own life to make this possible, I could let it go... no, wait, what is Vakama doing?  What's this Three Virtues symbol on the floor?  What's that light?  Explain, movie!  Explain!  Wait, now Takanuva is alive again?  Three words: Kane. Ra. Dung.  And then, they find some new island, and then the film just... ends.  Nothing is explained.  And, to rub extra salt in that wound, remember how the entire third act of the movie has everyone going "Mata Nui will be awoken this day"?  Guess what?  Mata Nui's still sleeping.  Not like you would even know that, since nothing is explained.  Ugh.  Twelve years later, and this ending still gets my blood boiling.

Legends of Metru Nui:

• Any time Matau says "WOOHOO!" or some variant thereof.  You think Kiina is bad?  Matau says it more often than she does, and in a far more obnoxious voice at that.  For that matter, much of his comic relief doesn't hold up well, and the same goes for Web of Shadows.
  • I can understand cutting out the Morbuzakh and Krahka storylines for time.  However, when Turaga Dume dismisses the Toa Metru because they haven't yet proven their worth with "deeds, not simple gifts", and then all the Toa Metru just shoot dirty looks at Vakama... yeah, that scene really does not hold up in the context of the overall storyline.  You'd think someone would've said, "Uh, hello? Morbuzakh is gone? Archives are saved? All thanks to us?"  I probably wouldn't mind this scene so much if it weren't for the fact that even Nokama looks irritated with Vakama, which doesn't fit her character at all and only further enforces the issue.
  • The scene where Turaga Dume speaks with Makuta about the Mask of Time.  It's a cheap throwaway scene that attempts to throw the viewer off by making them think that Turaga Dume is in cahoots with Makuta, but then makes no sense upon second viewing.  I mean, yeah, I get that villains like to monologue to themselves... but not literally to themselves!
  • What's that?  Makuta hasn't lost all of his credibility as a villain in the previous film's climax?  Well, then, let's have this film's climax consist of... Makuta hitting himself with a rock.  Again.  And again.  And again.  And then, he says, "I know where you are" in this dark menacing voice, and then proceeds to hit himself yet again with another rock, demonstrating that, contrary to that menacing-sounding line, he actually has no clue where Vakama is, and is thereby just digging himself deeper in this hole of terrible kids' movie villains.

Web of Shadows:

• Let's get this one out of the way first, since it's the very backbone of the film and therefore a very major flaw: Vakama's betrayal.  Just as Mask of Light was riding off the success of Lord of the Rings, this one was clearly marketed to cash in on the Revenge of the Sith craze.  Character-wise, it makes little sense for Vakama, even with Greg Farshtey trying so hard to justify it in the novelization.  But what's even worse is that, being a prequel... no, wait, a midquel of a prequel, there is no dramatic tension whatsoever.  You already know that Vakama is not going to stay evil and he's going to go back to being a good guy in the end.  It was dead on arrival, and unfortunately takes down the whole film with it, making it the worst of the four in my opinion.
  • The Rahaga character design.  Or, should I say, the "flashlight helicopter" character design.  Why did this need to exist?  It did not add anything to the characters, since they could already fly with Rhotuka and could probably use an old-fashioned lightstone like everyone else in the universe.  Everyone harps on The Legend Reborn for making the characters look like the toys (unlike, you know, the comics, the animations, the games... oh wait), at least it didn't pull this nonsense on us.
  • "That's what friends do."  All four films are filled to the brim with corny lines such as this, but this one is undoubtedly the worst.  Why is that?  Well, let's take a look at Mata Nui's line "We can win this, together! For unity!" from The Legend Reborn.  Yeah, it's corny, but Michael Dorn sounds like he's putting his all into the line, and as a result, it really does feel like the character of Mata Nui is, with all his heart, genuinely believing the words he's saying.  In contrast, when Paul Dobson delivers this particular line, he says it in a tone of voice that is not "I truly believe this with every fiber of my being!", but "I am so filled with self-loathing right now because I have to deliver this stupid kids' movie line just to get my paycheck."
  • The Muaka scene.  For context, I read the novelization before I saw the film, so when I read there was an appearance by a Muaka, I got really excited because the Muaka (and Kane-Ra) is one of my favorite BIONICLE sets of all time.  And what did we get?  A recycled Ash Bear model.  Okay, so maybe the original script said it was a Muaka but then they changed it to an Ash Bear to save production time... wait, what?  Norik still calls it a Muaka?  Oh, come on!
  • The characterization of Sidorak.  Well, Makuta's only got a bit part in this film, so whose villain credibility can we ruin this time?  I know!  Let's take that fierce warrior king who personally leads his horde into war, and turn him into a sniveling cowardly buffoon who never dirties his hands with combat and needs Roodaka to do everything for him, just to make Roodaka look like a good villain in comparison!  Even worse than Makuta and Onua, this is the personality that ultimately stuck, with retcons and amendments made to his previous appearances in an attempt to make him look more pitiful.

The Legend Reborn:

• The soundtrack.  This, personally, is the film's biggest flaw, hands-down.  I strongly believe that a film's score has a massive impact upon the audience's perception.  And while The Legend Reborn's score isn't bad, it's mediocre.  It sounds like an average direct-to-DVD kids' movie soundtrack.  Compare this to Nathan Furst's score for the Miramax trilogy.  The opening titles of Mask of Light feel so big and epic because the music was telling us that it was big and epic.  The Legend Reborn is sorely lacking in this regard.  As an experiment, I actually took several clips from the film and rescored them using the soundtracks of the Miramax trilogy and other BIONICLE media, and what I got was a tremendous improvement.  The world seems bigger, the fights seem more intense, the characters seem more emotional... but you don't get any of that with a mediocre film score.
  • Strakk striking Ackar after surrendering.  Interestingly, here's a problem that I have with The Legend Reborn... but not actually with the movie itself.  Rather, I am referring to the novelization and comic adaptations of this scene: they both explicitly state that Strakk will be banished as punishment for this crime, which goes against everything about Strakk's personality and backstory.  Strakk is characterized as a fellow who only does that which would benefit him, and after his match with Malum, he should know better than to try the same dirty trick in the arena.  A case could be made that, since he was Iconox's only Glatorian, he knew he could get away with this since he knew that his village could not afford to banish him, and that's why the sudden arrival of a new unemployed Glatorian (i.e. Mata Nui) posed such a great threat to him... but this is not explicitly stated.  In the film, his fate is left ambiguous, so I actually don't have a problem with it there.
  • Any time Kiina says "WOOHOO!" or some variant thereof.  Which, surprisingly, isn't actually as often as you'd think.  But, fans won't stop whining and moaning about it, so apparently its existence is bad enough that it overshadows everything else about her.  Remember when Kiina argues with Mata Nui over the Great Beings because she bitterly blames them for the destruction of Spherus Magna, and how that was actually a decent scene that stuck true to her character?  No?  Probably because we're too busy instinctively putting our hands over our ears whenever she opens her mouth thanks to a particularly bad choice of establishing character moment.
  • Berix's voice.  The Legend Reborn had the decency to have the Agori voiced by adults, thus avoiding the pitfalls of the Matoran in the Miramax trilogy.  But, unfortunately, James Arnold Taylor had to give Berix an annoying high-pitched nasally voice, because we all loved the sound of Matau's obnoxious voice, right?
  • The "tell, don't show" depiction of the Skrall.  Until the climax, the only villains we see are Bone Hunters, who are unfortunately treated as cannon fodder.  On the other hand, the complete absence of Skrall for most of the film means that the audience doesn't get to see why they are considered such a great threat, which either runs of the risk of making them uninteresting or else hypes them up too much and subsequently leads to a let-down in the climax.  And, yes, the climax was yet another let-down, continuing the grand tradition of BIONICLE films.  But, for all the flack that I gave the Rahkshi in the battle of Kini-Nui, at least they had the rest of the film to make themselves look like legitimate villains before being utterly humiliated in the climax... the Skrall didn't get that chance.
  • The characterization of Tuma.  Hey, what's another grand tradition of BIONICLE films?  Ruining the credibility of villains?  Okay, great!  Let's take Tuma, who is a fleshed-out tragic villain, and reduce him to a one-note kids' film bad guy!  Blah blah blah, you guys already get the point.
  • The Agori literally moving whole villages across the vast Bara Magna desert on their own... with mere rope.  It's a stupid concept, and merely writing about it feels stupid.  Actually, the concept could work, since the villages are actually pieces of a robot... which is two-thirds the size of the entire Matoran universe, causing these scenes to largely falls apart on the account of sci-fi writers having no sense of scale.  Yep, still stupid.
  • Upvote 12

I'll make this quick.

MoL: Kolhii match replaces real fight

LoMN: Toa forget they have elemental powers. Even Lhikan.

WoS: Sidorak is Sidorak

TLR: The Mighty Tuma

There's a lot more I could put here, but, like I said, I'm making this quick.

• Upvote 2
How well will you die?

I have to wonder if Lego is aware of these flaws, and that is why projects such as The LEGO Movie, Ninjago, and the Lego Star Wars TV specials were so well done... Lego learned not to make the mistakes they made with Bionicle films.

Also the fact Bionicle stands as a good story franchise is not because of the films; but thanks to the hard work of Greg, Advanced, and Templar Studios. Those guys deserve a round of applause for making a good story despite the many prat falls of the films...

P.S. as a kid I was upset that they didn't make a movie for 2006, now in retrospect I'm glad they didn't ;)

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Mask of Light

• All the fight scenes. While I understand LEGO probably wanted to keep the violence to a minimum, the fight choreography was poorly done because of it.
  • The ending. Takanuva died but was brought back.. because... the power of... friendship? Unity? Circles? I have no idea what happened. Jaller's revival also took away any meaning his death had as well.

Legends of Metru Nui

• Makuta's reveal. Or rather how they spoiled his involvement at the beginning of the movie. The reveal of Dume's true identity would have been more impactful if they just dropped a few hints of his inclusion. Like, maybe when he's by himself or with the Dark Hunters, he says some out of character things that the audience doesn't question at first but makes sense on later viewings. Change the opening animation and the mirror scene and we'll be good to go. (The mirror scene also makes no sense but others have already pointed out why.)
  • It's a nitpick, but Vakama constant self-blaming kind of gets old.

Web of Shadows

• Vakama's betrayal. I can understand him walking away from the team after all that's happened. That would make sense. Vakama turning evil, however, is taking the idea too far. I don't even know why they did it. The only explanation that I can think of is Revenge of the Sith came out the same year and they wanted to copy it.
  • Sidorak. Having Roodaka manipulating him is fine, but they didn't have to make... Sidorak.
  • The ending. What exactly was Vakama's plan to defeat Roodaka?

The Legend Reborn

• Berix.
  • The Ignika and everything it did. I loved the Mask of Life at first, but at this point it was clear they were making up abilities as they were going along. It being able to transform weapons is a large stretch, at least for me. I also didn't like the inclusion of elemental powers.
  • The animation style. I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like the set accuracy. Bara Manga characters are supposed to be mostly organic. The animators, however, thought they were all robots. Heck, I think the writers did too, especially when they said they needed to "fix Gresh". 
  • Giant. Purple. Malum. That scene, to me, made TLR go from "light-hearted" to "dumbed down for kids"

And, ironically, I actually didn't mind Kiina. Never understood the backlash against her "WOOHOOO".

• Upvote 2

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

There's been enough griping over plot points that I feel I have no contributions to make in that area - I just want to agree that I am now annoyed at how few element-wielding scenes actually appeared over the original trilogy (can't say a thing about TLR because oop I still haven't watched it).

Also, the masks.

I thought most of them were pretty ugly, and that they were hardly faithful to the sets sometimes. I understand they needed them to look a little more facelike, yes, but did they have to make Gali/Nokama/Matau/Turaga Lhikan/Turaga Dume/Makuta look like that?

• Upvote 1

wake_up_sheeple.png

Least favorite parts of the movies? Here's my list....

- Teridax's Kraahkan in the movies barely similar to the set forms.

I agree on the Kraahkan, in all of the movies it just looks like a mess of welded scrapmetal parts, it isn't very intimidating for a big bad. In fact if you think about it's like they took a noble matatu(turaga nujus mask) cut off the forehead top section, and welded a few metal parts to create eyebrows and mouth and washed it in rust and antidermis green splatter

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---
  • Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have as many gripes about the movies as some people, but here are mine:

Mask of Light

- Not enough Turaga.

- Lewa must've been smoking something (GREEN) due to his rampant hippieism.

- Onua. My favourite Toa, and what did they do to him??? Turned him into a big lumbering thug who destroys his own village. His voice-acting DID NOT suit him, and his reserved, soft-spoken personality was replaced. Plus, there were no quakebreakers (unforgivable!)

- Not the best fight choreography.

-  Rahkshi got defeated too easily, with some cheesy lines thrown into the mix.

- "A simple game of kolhii..." Quit playin' around Makuta. Smash the insect. He wasn't even toying with him.

Oh, and there IS a reason for the Kraahkan looking different. It was to make it fusable with the Avohkii design.

Legends of Metru Nui: (my favourite of the films)

- No Ahkmou.

- Not enough elemental powers (yes, yes I know that they'd been drained from the Morbuzakh battle but that was just in the Coliseum. By the end, they were fully powered-up.

- Makuta's killing of Turaga Lhikan. This scene is poignant and sad, but it's not the death itself, it's the manner. Getting brushed by a shadowhand will probably not kill you, even if you're a bit long in the tooth. I thought Teridax would blast some shadow beams and Lhikan would 'take the bullet'. Lil bit anti-climactic there. Still, it was a good scene other than that.

Web of Shadows:

Not a bad film as such, but the bad bits rankle more for me as this was the era in which I became a Bonkle fan.

- What. They. Did. To. Sidorak. He IS one of my favourite characters in the books and story (his set's amazing too), but they turned the ruthless warrior-king and skilled manipulator (though privately insecure) into a cowardly buffoon. They recognised their mistake with the character bio on the DVD though, where they mention his leading from the front. I mean, sheesh, people remember him for Web of Shadows, not the mighty figure he is in the books, the comics and all of the encyclopaedias, so the movie destroyed his street cred.

- A couple of corny lines.

- I can understand why Vakama turned (struggling with the beast, abused by his team-mates, in a bad position, being offered a massive horde who bow to his every whim), and can buy it, though I reckon Matau's treachery would be more plausible.

- Left out a lot of good plot points.

- All of the Rahaga except Norik have less than six lines.

And yes, I am (probably) the unofficial president of the Sidorak Fan Club.

The Legend Reborn:

I loved the Bara Magna arc, but I'm not gonna be gentle here. TLR had some serious flaws.

- Vulcanus doesn't look the way it was described as in Raid on Vulcanus.

- Straak and Ackar being lazy during their fight.

- Straak's not a nice person, but he wouldn't try and kill Ackar just because he beat him. He loves money and prestige too much.  

- Bara Magna characters being not organic enough.

- Too many woohoos. Doing murder to my poor ears

- The Skopio (clearly a normal animal in the novelisation) having Telluris riding it. As much as he think it is, his vehicle is not one of the giant predators.

- Gresh being too rookie. He's won all his fights as Second Glatorian, save one against a Skrall, so he's a little bit of a veteran.

- Ackar's sword (definitely made out of exisidian) being organic. Heck, all of their weapons (save Kiina's, because that might've been wood and claw) are metal.

- Skrall and Bone Hunters behaving like animals and sounding like demented chickens, not highly trained soldiers and cunning bandits.

- Tuma being degraded from a tragic villain, tactical genius and legendary warrior to a kid's movie villain. In all the serials and other media, he's interesting and fleshed-out (my favourite non-Makuta villain) but here... I don't want to talk about it, OK?

- Skrall and Bone Hunters dropping like flies in the frost during the Battle of Roxtus. They've lost all their  skill, reduced to cannon fodder.

I thought Berix's voice acting was fairly good- he's a likable picaresque grotesque who just happens to be a good guy - so I thought his voice was pretty ideal. The teeth effect was spot on, considering the Bara Magnans are heavy on the organics and can't absorb energy. Tuma had a good voice actor, shame that he was reduced the way he was. 

As Sir Iaredios put it, this is what happened:

Tuma's Characterisation: Oh, is that the time! I'd better be heading down to the studio.

*Gets up, walks down the street, heading for the studio*

*James Bond theme plays*

A Sniper: Ha ha, we'll have no good villains (save Metus) in this movie, m'lad!  *shoots*

Tuma's Characterisation: Ack! I'm been shot! Help! Where'd my gun go?  *gets shot again, dies*

The Sniper takes off his mask and reveals the face of Villain Personality Destroyer.

*Fade out to evil laughter* 

Edited by Erasmus Graves
  • Upvote 1

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

huh, people hated movie sidorak? never knew that. o:

Yeah, it happens. A LOT.

Personally, I found him a pitiable vilIain in the films. I didn't hate him, I just didn't like what they did to his character. He was too publically insecure and nervous when Roodaka was around, and behaved like a normal, slightly-below-average, laid-back person with a glint of malevolence when it was just him and the horde. He was portrayed as a fellow who, and I

"Would wash his hands of conflict rather than dirty them with it:

Not at all like his portrayal the books and other works. I mean, come on! In The Mutran Chronicles, that pragmatic Makuta counts the horde-king's death as a loss to the Brotherhood's assets. In the film, Sidorak was portrayed as too incompetent - and the Makuta are careful of whom they appoint to lead their armies.

Anyway, books trump films! :)  

Edited by Erasmus Graves

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Personally, I found him a pitiable vilIain in the films. I didn't hate him, I just didn't like what they did to his character. He was too publically insecure and nervous when Roodaka was around, and behaved like a normal, slightly-below-average, laid-back person with a glint of malevolence when it was just him and the horde. He was portrayed as a fellow who, and I

"Would wash his hands of conflict rather than dirty them with it:

Not at all like his portrayal the books and other works. I mean, come on! In The Mutran Chronicles, that pragmatic Makuta counts the horde-king's death as a loss to the Brotherhood's assets. In the film, Sidorak was portrayed as too incompetent - and the Makuta are careful of whom they appoint to lead their armies.

Anyway, books trump films! :)  

true, to be fair i never read the books so i have no knowledge of book-sidorak, might be why i feel so comfortable with movie-sidorak. o:

granted i'm also quite fond of the "A simple game of kohlii" scene, and if i had to say the worst parts of the films i'd say it's probably a mix of how some lines are delivered, and some of the awkward early CGI o:

oh, and huge purple malum. though i can't tell if that's terrible or perfect.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

The 2nd and 3rd movies' leaving out important plot points from the beginning of the year has an in-universe explanation... sort of. All the Bionicle Adventures books were bookended with dialogue between the Toa Nuva and the Turaga. So each book can be seen as a perspective/angle on the truth; you can't always trust your narrator! The epilogue for BA3 serves as the prologue for book 4, the movie novelization. In universe, those two were told back to back (I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that right; I don't have the books for reference at the moment). So book 4, or LoMN, isn't "skipping" the Morbuzakh stuff—that's already been covered in books 1 and 2. Rather, the scenes in the movie/book that happen before the Toa enter the Coliseum are a recap.

Naturally, the comics are a mess to reconcile with the movie.

The 3rd movie also employs the "recap." Now, this film has a blatant timeline conflict with books 7 and 8. Book 9, the novelization handwaves this inconsistency in order to bring it into continuity with the books. Also the sequence comics is a mess.

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year