What's With the Makuta Hate?

There's something about G2 that bothers me. Why the heck did everyone hate Makuta even before he made the Mask of Ultimate Power? Is it because his masks were terrible in quality or was everyone just a massive jerk to him for fun? If it's the latter, why didn't his own brother defend him or teach him how to craft better masks? Or did Ekimu also join in with the villagers and taunt his brother to the breaking point? 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

There's something about G2 that bothers me. Why the heck did everyone hate Makuta even before he made the Mask of Ultimate Power? Is it because his masks were terrible in quality or was everyone just a massive jerk to him for fun? If it's the latter, why didn't his own brother defend him or teach him how to craft better masks? Or did Ekimu also join in with the villagers and taunt his brother to the breaking point? 

Wait, the Okotians actually hated Makuta? I thought it was just a case of him being second-best. I guess that's Ekimu's dark side... overtaken by arrogance and careless about his fellow man... it's Mata Nui all over again.

• Upvote 5

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

I haven't seen anything about anyone hating Makuta at all. They just liked Ekimu's mask-work better because he had a special creative talent that everyone enjoyed. For example, I like Lord of the Rings, but I find it inferior to the epic storytelling Terry Brooks puts into his Shannara series. I like both storylines, but one just happens to be better, in my opinion. Same with Ekimu and Makuta. Different people, different crafting styles, and people gravitated towards Ekimu's more than they did Makuta's.

Unless he had some personal issues with some villagers that we never heard about, no one hated the guy.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Like what the person said above: no one hated Makuta, they jsut preffered Ekimu. And then the jealousy took root... and as we all know, jealousy is a path that leads to the Dark Side of the Force.

[on_phone} Was'that Barbara? Wrong thing? Trish said the same thing before I fired her! Hey! ...You best watch your tongue... Don-- Don't-- don't you dare hang up on me! Barb! Barb!! BARB!!

I haven't seen anything about anyone hating Makuta at all. They just liked Ekimu's mask-work better because he had a special creative talent that everyone enjoyed. For example, I like Lord of the Rings, but I find it inferior to the epic storytelling Terry Brooks puts into his Shannara series. I like both storylines, but one just happens to be better, in my opinion. Same with Ekimu and Makuta. Different people, different crafting styles, and people gravitated towards Ekimu's more than they did Makuta's.

Unless he had some personal issues with some villagers that we never heard about, no one hated the guy.

g1367714518504226048.jpg

:P

• Upvote 5

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Well actually the matoran's attitude towards the mask makers as people was never stated although it is suggested that they liked Ekimu a lot. But there is nothing on Makuta's achievements nor do they ever seem to pay much attention to him. Maybe it's just because the writers aren't paying much attention to Makuta right now but who knows maybe the islanders did have a thing against Makuta prior to him going mad. 

It's time to move on.

Maybe Makuta was Megablocks, and Ekimu is Lego... Just because they do the same thing doesn't mean we like Megablocks as much as we like Lego.

Or maybe it's a Ford vs. Chevy issue, two very similar masks but different design features. Maybe Okotorans who like Ekimu's masks better have bumper stickers on their Ussual Crabs bragging about their love of Ekimu products, with a pirated image of Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) umm... "desecrating" the Mask of Control. It's not they hate Makuta, they hate his brand!

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

My personal theory is that Makuta's masks tended to be more like the G1 Makuta masks and the Skull Villain masks—having unsettling or macabre appearances or powers. His masks therefore might not have necessarily been less popular because of their quality or power level being any lesser than Ekimu's masks, but rather because they pushed the limits of good taste.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The people of Okoto turned against him when they realized he built with Mega Bloks.

And all of the Creatures of Okoto were once inhabitants that built with Best Lock, with the Skull Spiders being heretics who built with Decool.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

My personal theory is that Makuta's masks tended to be more like the G1 Makuta masks and the Skull Villain masks—having unsettling or macabre appearances or powers. His masks therefore might not have necessarily been less popular because of their quality or power level being any lesser than Ekimu's masks, but rather because they pushed the limits of good taste.

Does that mean he made all those burial masks seen on the skull villains?

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I mean, that's my theory. Heck, he might have even created the Skull Spiders (assuming that they're not just indigenous wildlife).

Do we know for sure that the Skull Villain masks represent burial masks? I mean, it's a plausible theory, but I don't remember ever getting anything that really confirmed it.

In G1: "our happiness was not to last, for Mata Nui's brother, the Makuta, was jealous of these honors and betrayed him."

G2 and G1 do maintain similarities in terms of the Ekimu/Mata Nui and Makuta characters. It's safe to say that the villagers liked Mata Nui and his craftsmanship more, as opposed to simply disliked Makuta. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I mean, that's my theory. Heck, he might have even created the Skull Spiders (assuming that they're not just indigenous wildlife).

Do we know for sure that the Skull Villain masks represent burial masks? I mean, it's a plausible theory, but I don't remember ever getting anything that really confirmed it.

BS01 doesn't say anything, and the animations are silent on it. Anything in the books support it? I think it's a really cool theory; it makes the Okotoans seem like a really human culture. And the idea that Makuta made creepy masks is pretty awesome.

If he made the skull spiders, though, that'd be a nice callback to his Rahi-making origins in G1.

wake_up_sheeple.png

BS01 doesn't say anything, and the animations are silent on it. Anything in the books support it? I think it's a really cool theory; it makes the Okotoans seem like a really human culture. And the idea that Makuta made creepy masks is pretty awesome.

If he made the skull spiders, though, that'd be a nice callback to his Rahi-making origins in G1.

There's really been nothing canon to suggest it. It's just a headcanon, really—and yes, a lot of it is inspired by the macabre appearance and powers of the G1 Makuta masks, the mad scientist-esque nature of the Makuta in G1, and the fact that the Skull masks have to come from SOMEWHERE and as servants of Makuta it'd make sense for them to be wearing his handiwork. Until we have more story details for G2 I'm more than happy to fill in the gaps myself (and truth be told I prefer having gaps to fill in in the first place, versus how G1 would sink most of my story ideas almost as soon as I'd developed them).

So I'm guessing you are excited for the Shannara series coming out? I just found out about it...

Anyway, I didn't get the impression that Makuta was hated, just viewed as second best.

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles