Dozens of 2016 Bionicle Images Added to cache.LEGO.com

You've waited a long time, folks. Now, finally, over eighty official, non-watermarked, high-resolution images of the twelve new LEGO Bionicle sets for January 2016 have been added to cache.LEGO.com! These images reveal the functions and features of the new Toa, Great Elemental Creatures, and Umarak the Hunter, as well as how you can combine the creatures with the corresponding Toa or Umarak for even greater power. Read on for links, then share your thoughts in the Talkback topic!

View the full article

• Upvote 7

Wow! These are awesome! Don't have time to put in depth thoughts right now, but I did notice something odd. If any of you are technic fans, correct me, but in 2016, are they changing the color of 3 length axles to yellow??? Red and blue pins can be annoying enough, but yellow 3 axles???

• Upvote 5

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

These look pretty cool generally, although they have some issues. The most glaring thing is that the Toa went from the smooth, clean aesthetic from 2015 to the overdetailed aesthetic from Generation 1 (actually, I think it's even more extreme). The strongly increased use of technic is very intriguing. It almost feels like these were designed by a different team. Overall, I think they are bit too cluttered but I still like them. The masks look pretty awesome on all of them.

Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

AHHH IT'S HAPPENING!

I love the Creatures! And they do all have gear functions. Except Akida, maybe? But no matter, I think Akida is my favorite Creature regardless.

Umarak looks much cooler here than he did in the poster, I guess it's because of the black mask.

What's everyone's favorite of the bunch? I think Kopaka/Melum is my favorite. That low-hanging scope is so awesome!

Edit: Look how cool Gali looks combined with Akida:

KVveo6t.jpg

Loving the Toa-Creature combiner feature!

Edited by Nescent
  • Upvote 5

IetTsFQ.png

I think the biggest bit of detail is the return of the G1 Nuva Symbols, each of the new masks and chest armors features that Toa's respective symbol. Granted they're usually integrated into part of the rest of the design, but they're still there. Take a look at tahu's mask and compare to these http://www.bzpower.com/Imaging/stories/nuva_symbols_named.gif

• Upvote 2
banner.png

I think the biggest bit of detail is the return of the G1 Nuva Symbols, each of the new masks and chest armors features that Toa's respective symbol. Granted they're usually integrated into part of the rest of the design, but they're still there. Take a look at tahu's mask and compare to these http://www.bzpower.com/Imaging/stories/nuva_symbols_named.gif

Yeah, that's a fantastic detail. ^_^
  • Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

The Toa's hips don't lie, but now it looks like they swivel? Looks like there are a few interesting action features here, as well as some new gear-like pieces. And the heads... are the new eyestalks NOT designed to knock the masks off at a whim? Connections still look the same (so will still be weak) but this may be a nice improvement.

:music:

• Upvote 2

The Toa's hips don't lie, but now it looks like they swivel? Looks like there are a few interesting action features here, as well as some new gear-like pieces. And the heads... are the new eyestalks NOT designed to knock the masks off at a whim? Connections still look the same (so will still be weak) but this may be a nice improvement.

:music:

Maybe the new eyestalk is part of the combining with the creatures function. I think the creatures heads can lock into the new eyestalks somehow, to both keep the head's position relative to the mask's, and to lock the mask into place.

• Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Opinion time!

Lewa looks great, possibly the best of the Toa. His back is a little bare-bones, but he uses some very creative techniques very creatively for his arms and legs. Lewa's new mask looks awesome, though it's surprising a lot of people consider it more authentic to his classic mask than the 2015 version was, since most of the similarities to the classic mask were present in both versions. I do wish Lewa had a more contrasting color like Gali and Tahu do. Even Flame Yellowish Orange like this year's version used could look quite nice.

Pohatu generally looks alright, but his color scheme is not as coherent as Lewa. I think he'd be much improved if he used 4M Silver Metallic shells on his forearms instead of 3M Tr. Flu. Green ones. Maybe also if he used Dark Orange shells on his upper legs rather than Sand Yellow ones, though I know many people would be upset to miss out on a new recolor, particularly in such a rare color. His weapon is one of the weirder ones, as is his "Power Up" form with the Creature of Stone. His mask is very nice, though!

Gali might be my second-favorite of the Toa, after Lewa. Her design is now asymmetrical, yet well balanced (so she sort of takes Pohatu's place as the asymmetrical team member). Her weapon is similar to Pohatu's, but I generally like hers more. Her color scheme is very dynamic, with orange accents taking the place of the previous version's yellow ones and Tr. Dark Blue taking the place of the previous version's Titanium Metallic. The "powered up" form looks great. The artists creating these renders chose some excellent poses for her. And her mask is a great update of the current version.

Tahu's proportions are not as weird as I expected them to be since his lower legs are actually 6 modules rather than 5 — which means we get a nice new recolored shell and recolored beam as well. I think his upper legs could stand to be a module shorter, though. His combination with the Creature of Fire is excellent and makes for a particularly majestic upgrade. I'm still not totally digging the way he uses so many different textures. Maybe the crystal element from his lower legs would have been a better fit for his lower arms as well. Like the others, he's got a good mask, and I love his Dark Azur accents!

Onua... oh dear, what to say about Onua. He's definitely a coherent design with a well-coordinated color scheme, but I do not think this design suits the character nearly as well as his design from last year did. I miss his clawed feet and his short stature and his muscular chest. I'm not as thrilled with his mask as many of the others (though it's a better upgrade than the Pakari Nuva in 2002 was), and I'm not 100% sold on the "Power Up" form with the Creature of Earth. The weapon also lacks the crystal motif of the others, which is a bit of a shame, but at least it's creative.

I had already seen some details of the Kopaka and Melum Unity Set at BrickFair New Jersey, so it's not as new to me. Kopaka looks nice, although his color scheme would probably feel a lot more balanced if his shoulder shells were Warm Gold instead of Silver Metallic. I guess it just wasn't in the budget. His design does nicely evoke the feeling of a lean character in heavy padded armor. I like his new sword a lot more than his new shield, but maybe it will have some stickers to spice it up a bit. He was cool when he had a spear, but since Pohatu and Gali now both have spears a sword offers more variety. And it does feel distinct from Tahu's.

The Toa in general have longer torsos than they did previously, and I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about that. I definitely am not too fond of how all the characters use friction joints in their ankles, because in my opinion it messes up the proportions of the foot. I understand why they did it, but perhaps a newer foot with a shorter ankle (2M rather than 3M) would have been a good idea. The new eyestalk looks good, but makes me wish the Toa's eyes were green like the "good guy" eyes in 2006 and 2010. Because not only was that an generally sound decision even back then, but a fluorescent color would probably glow a lot better with the new truncated eyestalk. The elemental crystal motif of the armor and masks is a much nicer update in my opinion than the extremely organic look of the Kanohi Nuva from 2002.

On to the creatures!

Uxar is an awesome bug design with some good recolors and tasteful use of System. The Jungle shadow trap gives a good idea of what to expect with the others: a bear-trap with element-specific legs and possibly a tail. The yellow accents look gerat with the green, and are the sort of thing I'd have liked to see more of on Lewa. The flapping wings function seems nice, and is a great addition to Lewa in "power up" mode.

Ketar has a cool slashing function that sets it apart from past scorpion creatures. I wonder how Pohatu's previously expressed hatred of scorpios might affect his bonding with Ketar. I wish the tail were mounted a bit lower on the body, and I'm not sure why a new recolor for the Vorox shell was necessary for just this set (Pohatu uses it in Silver). The shadow trap is simple, but I like its "stinger".

Akida is definitely one of the most unique creatures. Instead of a gear function it has launchers that change direction with the angle of the fins. Bit awkward that you can't spin the propellors without firing the blasters, though. The color scheme suits Akida as well as it suits Gali. The shadow trap is nice, though maybe more organic-looking tentacles or fins might have suited the environment better than legs.

Ikir really has what it takes to be the "poster child" of the Great Elemental Creatures. Good posability, a unique avian design, and a cool color scheme. I don't know if the Hero Factory flames really suit the design or go well with the new crystal blade pieces on the wings. The wings flap when you press the tail, which is a nice function. Great talons! Ikir's Shadow Trap is maybe the most mundane, though.

Terak is a nice design. Its "digging" function when you press the tail is quite nice! It has some great new recolors too. I mentioned already I'm not super thrilled with its "power up" function with Onua, in part because it doesn't add extra functions the way Uxar, Akida, and Ikir's combinations do. And Onua's shoulder armor didn't really need beefing up. The drill legs on the Shadow Trap are nifty!

Melum is a bit plain as creatures go, and similar structurally to Terak, but its "bear hug" function seems interesting. Its combination with Kopaka makes a bit more sense than Onua's with Terak, since Onua already has pretty beefy shoulders while Kopaka's are a little leaner. It also does a nice job balancing out Kopaka's color scheme. Bit of a shame that this set doesn't include a Shadow Trap, but it'd be easy to rig up a custom one!

Finally we come to Umarak. They really want to push that Umarak can combine with any of the creatures, judging from all the different "Power Up" pics. The Creature of Jungle matches Umarak's color scheme best, but I actually like the other ones' contrast. Feels a bit more evil and unnatural. Umarak's antlers are awesome, and it's great to have the segmented leg/tail pieces in the same color at long last! The bow and sword are both nice weapons, if ones we've seen a lot in this year's sets.

Umarak's color scheme is a lot more dynamic than the typical red and black we see for villains. It almost feels like camouflage, which suits a hunter character. Some people have criticized Umarak's leg construction, but I feel like it's fairly coherent and quite creative. Umarak's mask is nice and spooky, and the Mask of Control looks excellent, every bit as ornate as Ekimu's but a bit more stern. My biggest criticism of Umarak is that the area above his shoulders feels a bit gappy.

Overall, my opinion of the new sets since seeing these new, highly-detailed pictures has generally improved. I look forward to getting some story info on more of these characters!

• Upvote 9

They're all so BEAUTIFUL! I prefer Pohatu, of course, but Gali is really cool too. I love how they make the asymmetry and jaggedness work so well. The Toa certainly look united with their element. Shout out to the Av-toran merge function being brought back and still having the sets be cool.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I'm a pretty big fan of Technic builds, so I think these sets look great!  Can't wait to build some of them.  It seems a bit odd to me that some masks (e.g. Tahu's) just have the corresponding Toa's Nuva symbol, while others (e.g. Lewa's) have extra runes, but it's not a huge deal or anything.  Also, I love Lewa's torso print design, and pretty much all the united forms look pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Really liking Tahu, I feel like his mask really looks like some sort of an updated version of his Nuva Kanohi. Although, tbh, Lewa's lower legs seem a bit strange to me, y'know, with them not actually being the ccbs, but that's just a small nitpick in his overall design.

Also, did anyone else notice how mangled Melum was in that first image with Kopaka? (Just something funny I noticed).

• Upvote 1

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

I don't know why Kopaka has gold armour pieces on his legs, but nowhere else.  They interrupt the silver/white color scheme, in my opinion.  Pohatu has a similar problem, transparent green on his leg armour and staff, but fluorescent yellow on his arms and gold mask.  Everything else about them is great, but I'd like more consistent coloration.  I like the more complex armour, it helps to set the new sets apart from this year's.

• Upvote 1

Most of my thoughts align with Aanchir's, so I'll try to avoid covering the same ground.

I generally like the new parts. The masks look great. The torsos, while less versatile than the two-piece torso shells of 2015, look good. The new gearboxes/torso beams are fantastic, and the customizability those offer will significantly help offset the aspects of these sets I dislike. The new "crystal" shells look good and match the Toa's new masks well, though oddly the ones on Onua and Terak seem to be blended with Transparent rather than Trans. Bright Bluish Violet. The new crystal weapons look decent, though it's a shame that they too don't appear in the Earth colors. The new gear pieces on the creatures look incredibly useful, and the greebled Technic shell does as well, though I don't like its use as an unadorned leg shell on Tahu and Kopaka. And there are loads of amazing recolored elements that I can't wait to have.

On to impressions of the sets themselves. The creatures are fantastic and I love them all. Ditto for the Shadow Traps. As far as the Toa are concerned, I much prefer the smaller Toa (Gali, Pohatu, and Lewa) to the larger ones. This goes double for their powered up forms with the creatures—the silver/gold contrast of the masks and creature heads works amazingly well compared to the powered up larger Toa, where the creature heads and masks just blend together into a mass of gold. It makes me wish that all of the creatures had stuck to silver blended with their respective transparent color. Umarak looks snazzy, and I'm glad he's the first set to offer the large and small spider legs in matching colors.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This is the best! *squee*

I do so love the addition of more Technic, and all of the Power-Up features to me look extremely amazing. I also like how you can actually do something with this wave's villiain, Umarak. With LoSS, his "play feature" was a grabbing function that no one used. But Umarak... he's covered in extras, cool movement, and he can combine with ALL OF THE CREATURES! 

Definitely getting Lewa, Creature of Jungle, and Umarak.

• Upvote 1

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Pohatu has a similar problem, transparent green on his leg armour and staff, but fluorescent yellow on his arms and gold mask.

I'm going to go ahead and hazard a guess that they're the same color, but for some reason the LEGO Group's rendering software handles it differently for blended parts than it does for solid-colored parts. Same with the crystal pieces on Onua. In both cases, I feel like the blended crystal pieces look more like what the solid-colored pieces SHOULD look like. On the box pics the differences are still present but a lot less exaggerated.

Meh, sets have got really boring since the Hero Factory 2.0 build came around.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or if you're not paying attention, but these sets don't use the "Hero Factory 2.0" build. They have custom torsos built around a brand-new torso beam/turntable element, and some of them even have custom leg joints. Calling that a Hero Factory build is as nonsensical as calling Toa Inika Jaller a Toa Metru build.

The only "boring" thing about these sets that could be considered a holdover from Hero Factory is that they all have the same torso shell and feet as one another (except Onua, who has different feet), but that's really no different than the Toa Nuva, Toa Metru, or Toa Hordika.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 8

The only "boring" thing about these sets that could be considered a holdover from Hero Factory is that they all have the same torso shell and feet as one another (except Onua, who has different feet), but that's really no different than the Toa Nuva, Toa Metru, or Toa Hordika.

I think this is a little worse than the examples you listed, since these particular feet have been used over and over for years. But I'm not bothered by it, personally - there's plenty of new parts and plenty of variety between each set to make up for the rehashed feet.

Aanchir, what color shoulder armor do you think Kopaka uses? I can't tell if it's silver or white or marbled.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw you said they're silver metallic!

Edited by Nescent
  • Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I have...mixed opinions of these. Most of the masks are really cool, but some of the builds leave me wondering. With Pohatu as the image loaded I went from "wow that mask looks really cool" to "wait what the ###### is with those arms." Really just...mixed opinions. Lewa is cool but I miss the orange. Gali is one of the better ones, she has a nice color scheme and an awesome weapon. Gold mask looks pretty terrible on her though. Pohatu's mask is great, and the color scheme is decent, but man does he really just not look that good. There's some nice things going on with Onua, but I don't like his mask or his feet or his shoulders or...eh, he's ok. Weapon is cool. Kopaka is a load of eh. Tahu I thought would be my favorite and...yeah, I guess so. The fact that he has so little solid red is a definite flaw (though I'm sure the render only makes it look worse) and he has way too many different kinds or armor, but I love his colors. Red and blue are an underappreciated combo, and it looks great on him. Could use some on his arms though...

I don't care about any of the creatures, the same head thing kills it for me. I guess Akida is cool though.

Umarak has a cool head and stuff, but the legs are a mess and I just can't seem to get excited about him. Not super big on the Mask of Control either.

All in all, not terribly excited about these, and I doubt I'm gonna be buying a lot. I'm more than satisfied with the 2015 Toa, so none of these really grab my attention too much. I'll probably be getting Tahu, maybe Gali, and the maybe-est maybes of all for Pohatu. But that's it.

The technic colors here are weird, though, as an aside. Lewa indeed has yellow 3m axles, but from what I can tell that's exclusive to him (Tahu has gray, for sure). And it sure looks like Gali has black 2m axles. Kind of odd.

Oh yeah, and I'm not a fan of the fact that we seem to have downgraded to having just two eye colors. That's not good.

Edited by dotcom

AXKP5KC.png

I have mixed feelings about these. I can't help but feel like these new Toa feel like downgrades in some aspects compared to their 2015 counterparts. One thing they absolutely nailed though in my opinion are the masks. The creatures all look unique and have neat functions. I'm glad Umarak doesn't adhere to the standard black/red villain colorscheme and overall seems like a cool and original villain.

Hail Denmark

And the trans-colored gold masks return, except Tahu and Gali gets these masks as well. The masks with silver on them look good too. They kind of remind me of the Metru Nui Matoran's masks back in 2004, since they had silver on them as well if I'm not mistaken. Both sets of masks look good on the Toa.

Umarak the Hunter is probably my favorite of these sets as of right now. I like his build and his mask looks great. Plus he comes with the Mask of Control, which looks cool too. He's probably the only set out of these that I would want to get. I'll wait on the others to see if they grow on me overtime.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't care about any of the creatures, the same head thing kills it for me. I guess Akida is cool though.

But...wildlife... :c

I wish there was more variety in the primary colors of the Creatures' masks, but other than that I don't mind them all using the same mask piece. They each have a slightly different build, so they at least have more diverse designs than the Protectors' masks.

And the Shadow Traps are a lot better than the Skull Spiders, in my opinion. They all have a unique design, and some of them are just awesome (looking at you, Akida).

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Color schemes are very iffy this year. Lewa's replaced his keetorange with more silver, Tahu's more gold than red, Kopaka doesn't know what he wants to be, and Pohatu just becomes a huge mess, especially combined with his creature.

Builds are a bit spotty in places, too (Onua's shoulderpads are struggling to find somewhere to sit, Gali's got itty bitty lower legs, Umarak's legs) but I am glad to see some torso variety. It comes at the expense of solidity in some, but man was I sick of monopiece torsos.

(Also all of the Toa except maybe Onua should have had a foot piece that takes into account the need for friction extenders because it is not a good look right now. Their ankles are so tall.)

Creatures don't look good from some of the angles presented, but maybe it's just bad stock imagery. I might warm up to them in person.

As clever as using tails for levers is, it makes Ikir look ridiculous with its tail sticking perpendicular to the middle of its back.

Most solid creature would be the Creature of Jungle, I'd say, but then again I'm always happy to see arthropods not take antagonistic roles.

(A shame Ikir's the only dinosaur, though.)

• Upvote 1

ehhhhhh, Gali has waaay too much silver, why does Lego hate blue?

Onua looks... okay, odd tho.

Tahu looks surprisingly good but that's because mixed textures are better than some of the gapier builds.

pohatu is kinda boring, Lewa also has too much metallic color, and Kopaka is p good i guess. :0

can't say i like these toa as much as the 2015 ones honestly.

the creatures are all rather neat, and i can forgive the messy construction because they were trying to fit gears on most of them! O:

(also the propellers on Akida are nice to remind us these are robot animals!)

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

HYPE!!! I was wondering how Lego was going to top last year's sets, and now I know! The new gear functions, new parts and recolors, the new eyestalks, the color schemes... almost everything is great! Pohatu's mix of colors makes him look kind of messy and dirty... which looks fine to me, seeing as that stones tend to look dirty and vary in color. Also, is Umarak's eyepiece RED? It's been a while since we got trans-red eyestalks/heads. Kopaka's gold kneepads look a bit out of place when he isn't in unity mode, though it does help balance out his gold when he is in unity form, so it's not too bad. I kind of wish Tahu just a tiny bit more azure on his arms somewhere, though I'm not quite sure where it would go.The creatures having gear functions is fantastic, and unexpected as well. Interestingly, the back view of Gali shows the axle in her head as being BLACK, while the picture showing off the head by itself shows it as being RED. Hmmm...

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly? Seems to me she generally has more blue than this year's version. Blue shells on all but one of her limb joints, blue beams for her lower legs and arms, blue printing on her torso shell, blue accents on her back, both her masks and her weapon are blended with blue, and even the shell details on her right thigh and left shoulder are blended with blue. Other than her weapon, that's eleven all-blue pieces and three half-blue, half-silver pieces versus just five silver pieces. They're not all the same SHADE of blue, but that's a lot of blue regardless. I'd say that's about as much blue as Toa Inika Hahli had, if not more! (Hahli had just six all-blue pieces and six half-blue, half-white pieces versus nine white pieces).

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure what you mean exactly? Seems to me she generally has more blue than this year's version. Blue shells on all but one of her limb joints, blue beams for her lower legs and arms, blue printing on her torso shell, blue accents on her back, both her masks and her weapon are blended with blue, and even the shell details on her right thigh and left shoulder are blended with blue. They're not all the same SHADE of blue, but that's a lot of blue regardless. I'd say that's about as much blue as Toa Inika Hahli had, if not more! (Hahli had just five all-blue pieces and six half-blue pieces).

i dunno, i guess it's how at least 2015 gali's two metal colors helped balance it a bit better? this itme she's got a wholly silver torso, silver on about half of each limp, and silver on her default mask! and though she has plenty of blue it's once again mostly of the two transparent shades, and far more localized than last years' was. :0

(and for only having five pieces of blue, Hahli did have two of those be two-thirds of her total torso. since i'm talking more color spread than peice count.)

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png