Yet another Protector of Fire

Taka Nuvia

But far less set-like this time. More of a 'calm before the storm'-type drawing, I suppose.

pof_th.jpg

(click the thumbnail or follow this link to view full drawing)

This looks much better IRL, though. My scanner decided to eliminate most of the nuances of the shading, and I fear my editing killed the rest. Anyhow.

Here we have another Protector of Fire, female this time. This drawing was done mostly in an attempt of re-collecting myself, thus the rather static pose. Outlines were done in ballpoint pen (although on my sketchbook paper the lines always look more line ordinary pencil), the colouring/shading was done in coloured pencil. I made an obvious perspectivic error at the farther fin of the helmet, but decided to use the 'more wrong' version because I liked it better.

Comments, criticism etc are very much appreciated, just as always! :)

• Upvote 7

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

The first thing I thought was "Well, he looks... femine?" and then I read it's actually meant to. I like how she doesn't need exagerated attributes to look female, it's something that for example I fail to achieve.
The blaster reminds me of the Cordak from 2007, the fire decorations on the mask and armor are a very cool idea, and I like the mail on arms and legs.
Maybe the chin could be a little more prominent but not necessarily. I always say it but coloring and shading are very good :)
I'm happy to see art from you more or less regularly!

Now, I'm 70% sure there are some English mistakes in my post... oh well

• Upvote 1

hidron_nuva_idea.png

Awesomesauce! Great job on the colors! I also like the flame patterns on the armor and mask, and the scale-like pattern for the joints is very cool. :) The only thing that really bothers me is the angle of the fists... the right hand looks like it's bent away from the direction of the forearm rather uncomfortably. If the forearm were pointed in the same direction as the opposite forearm, it'd make more sense to be seeing the fist from the same angle.

On a side note, I think it's a cool idea to create Protectors who are different than the six the Toa met, since the title's been passed down for so many generations. So there have probably been SEVERAL Protectors of each element. Potentially with different genders, physiques, and armor designs.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice as usual, Taka.

I think the mask could have been a little lower, though. It makes me wonder where the mouth is. And good job on the flame details as well.

Thanks! Ah, I had a mouth somewhat planned out (plus it's still visible where it would have been, I had put far too much pressure on that part when sketching... :/) but then figured it would not really add anything to the picture, so I just sorta decided to ignore it ^^" But thanks. :)

The first thing I thought was "Well, he looks... femine?" and then I read it's actually meant to. I like how she doesn't need exagerated attributes to look female, it's something that for example I fail to achieve.

The blaster reminds me of the Cordak from 2007, the fire decorations on the mask and armor are a very cool idea, and I like the mail on arms and legs.

Maybe the chin could be a little more prominent but not necessarily. I always say it but coloring and shading are very good :)

I'm happy to see art from you more or less regularly!

Now, I'm 70% sure there are some English mistakes in my post... oh well

If that was your first impression then I am actually very relieved because that's exactly what I was going for. Your stylized way of drawing the characters, on the other hand, is something I usually fail to achieve. Everyone has different strengths. :)

Blasters and other convincing weapons are something I struggle with greatly, so they always turn out as some odd, genericised blend of several types - in other words, I totally see what you mean. For the moment that's the only kind of blaster that I am actually able to draw, though ^^"

Also, thank you for the kind words and stuff. Means a lot to me. :3

Awesomesauce! Great job on the colors! I also like the flame patterns on the armor and mask, and the scale-like pattern for the joints is very cool. :) The only thing that really bothers me is the angle of the fists... the right hand looks like it's bent away from the direction of the forearm rather uncomfortably. If the forearm were pointed in the same direction as the opposite forearm, it'd make more sense to be seeing the fist from the same angle.

On a side note, I think it's a cool idea to create Protectors who are different than the six the Toa met, since the title's been passed down for so many generations. So there have probably been SEVERAL Protectors of each element. Potentially with different genders, physiques, and armor designs.

Thanks! Glad to hear that. :D I actually like scale mail-esque things best for covering the parts between the individual armour elements; it just looks so empty otherwise. :3

You are absolutely right about the angle. Looking at the drawing again it might be a resulting error from the perspective error in the arms (something definitely went wrong there. :/).

That's my favourite way of thinking about it, too. So much to explore! =D

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

A really interesting interpretation of the Protector style, Taka! I love your coloured pencil work and the metallic highlights (also, I think all scanners are designed just to mess with artists). The more human proportions definitely look good on the Protector (she reminds me a bit of the Toa Metru proportions, tbh) and I love the way you made the CCBS shells look like plate mail, and the connecting areas like scale mail. It almost adds a "Royal Guard" feel to the character. On a somewhat critical note, the fists feel a bit awkward to me. The one on our right feel like it should either be tilted slightly or in a more dynamic pose.

Despite that, great work! The highlights are nice and metallic, and it's a very memorable adaptation of the Protector (Protectress? Is that a word?) of Fire.

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.