Okoto Minecraft Map (mask powers, bosses, and structures!)

~garnira returns~

Hello, everyone! I haven't been active on BZP for quite some time now, but I felt that it might be worthwhile to share my project with you folks

(especially seeing as I've already posted it on other sites). So, without further adieu, I give you my...

Okoto Minecraft Map

ace49cd42cc9c79f22ed666f9ee54641298e082e

My goal in creating this world was to make a virtual representation of Okoto that features everything that we've actually seen in the story, as well as give players the chance to traverse the island on their own accord. It's kind of like an experiment in that it shows us exactly how much we've truly learned about the island.

Here's what you can expect to find...

The City of the Mask Makers:

More

3390b4979eeea1ea91af7399a987a8bf31648a1e

And yes, most of the undead are present! Unfortunately, I was unable to make Scorpio happen. There's just nothing in game that looks remotely like him. 

cc0875e48efe687bec705047538744505a647643

The skull warriors spawn in waves(as long as there is someone within 50 meters of the gate). 

53802108b509bec48ea1327e90881ad4c4542efa

Skull Slicer can be summoned in the arena! He boasts more health than a normal skeleton and will occasionally use a grabber whirlwind attack to try and pull you in. He usually drops his grabber claw upon death. 

8e298ad6181e1e17e1a798dd02dfffb42af066bc

371d32a998ce4ca83799a96b067584630667a146

Kulta is found in the forge. By default he has 100 health and will occasionally use his Mask Steal attack(which breaks nearby players' headgear. This includes masks!) He also gains significant speed, strength, and regen buffs after donning the mask of creation, not to mention the inherent protection bonus. 

Whoops! Forgot to mention that Kulta drops The Mask Stealer Staff which, after being held for a sufficient period of time, charges up the same attack that Kulta can use on you. You'll begin to see red particles around you when it's ready, then all you have to do is sneak! 

If you beat him after he puts on the MoC, he will drop that as well. Given how poorly documented its powers are, I just gave it a protection 10 enchantment. It's nothing fancy, but it's better than a diamond helmet at the very least. 

Skull Basher is around too. I'll let him find you

2507afb59610b57921ceeb9900545743ad4ef527

Mask Shrines and Powers

More

All of the island's mask shrines are present. It would also seem that the Toa have left behind their basic masks... Perhaps these will be of use to you?

Bear in mind that I took these screenshots before I implemented the masks, so they aren't on the pedestals. Don't worry, they will be there in game. 

543c72e3ad0147ceb83f224443d4eccb2bfefc82

6092150ad5a9bb1755ee0ed65d88f4e3661bbe45

6164bf8f3da974d0b41f10457ffce95846604707

8c5c1ae4bf665841b1fbe15a584080c3a20bbfad

4b4d7051645156bf5549f8b1961f7532fb7b4af5

hZ88P6y.png

For the record, I'm not really sure why the images are all different sizes

Here are the abilities granted by the masks: 

-Holding Sneak with the mask of stone donned will activate the sandstorm tornado ability and lift you into the air!

-Sprinting with the mask of air for extended periods of time will build up a speed and jump boost, eventually allowing you to clear huge tracts of land in a single bound!

-Holding sneak for a(particularly long) period of time with the mask of ice equipped will charge up and project an elemental ice shield around the wearer.

-Holding sneak for a short period of time with the mask of water donned will activate the tidal dash ability, giving the wearer speed, strength, and regeneration for 10 seconds. Additionally, the mask of water greatly improves swim speed.

-Once a player has worn the mask of earth for a certain length of time, they will begin to emit purple particles. This indicates that, upon sneaking, they will create a tremor in the ground around them and pull nearby entities under.

-The mask of fire functions in a similar fashion to the mask of earth; after an extended period of time with the mask on, the player will begin to emit flame particles. This means that, upon sneaking, they will release a burst of flame in multiple directions and create a blazing inferno around them.(Be advised; this one is somewhat buggy and may cause lag issues if used too often.)

did film myself demonstrating each mask, but for whatever reason the files got corrupted. I'll give it another go at some point, but for now I'll just leave you with footage of the mask of stone:

Additional notable locations:

More

There are a few other places worth traveling to...

d5bab63815c1bfc03a7ffd07463a8f4072508c13

33f924cd4ec816017dff090e737b66b6c6ad123c

ed12de4d9ab009edbc733d38f00675c46624d3f9

kriQJ13.jpg

xNHkzcm.png

Download: 

If you're interested in seeing the map firsthand, you can download it...

here

Make sure that you play it in the 1.9 snapshots, otherwise it will not work! 

Lastly, here's an overview of the map(as seen in worldpainter). Disregard the lack of snow in that render; it didn't account for biomes. 

e43b90308de88ee406922297bc54e8178310c6eb

Thanks for stopping by!

Edit: Spoiler tags converted to "more" tags; please use spoiler tags for storyline spoilers only!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 12

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

Wow! Your rendition of the Ancient City is fantastic, and I love how you built so many areas seen in the webisodes. It's also cool that you implemented mask powers! Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure! I put quite a few hours into building that city, and I'm rather satisfied with it. I'm glad to hear that my sentiments are shared!  :D

• Upvote 1

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

The Ancient City is just... amazing, just as the Skull Creatures are! The skins and overall aesthetic are nice and smooth just as the sets are, and I can't imagine the amount of effort that must've been put into this.

I'll probably give it a try when I purchase Minecraft for the PC, whenever that is. But when that happens, you can be sure I'll try this.

• Upvote 1

Wow... that's beautiful. It really testifies to the amount of time and work that went into making this project. I can't wait to try out those mask powers (and peek through the command blocks) and wander around that wonderfully sculpted island!

• Upvote 1

This is rather embarrassing. 

A couple snapshots ago, Mojang gave the go-ahead to map makers, but evidently they're still messing with command formats. 

So yeah, hotfix time. :confused:

It's not actually anything too big; the only thing it's broken(as far as I can tell) is the mask of ice's shield particles and the mask of Jungle's charged-up particles. That said, you may still want to get the new version if you haven't already started playing the map.(or you can just stay in a slightly older snapshot) 

MAKE SURE YOU ARE RUNNING THE LATEST 1.9 SNAPSHOT

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

I'm quite impressed! The screenshots alone show how much time and effort you've put into this project, and I'm sure it's even better in-game. I really like your attention to detail: the City of the Mask Makers in particular looks fantastic. Keep it up - it would be amazing to see this project evolve as we learn more about Okoto in the offical story. :)

• Upvote 1

I'm quite impressed! The screenshots alone show how much time and effort you've put into this project, and I'm sure it's even better in-game. I really like your attention to detail: the City of the Mask Makers in particular looks fantastic. Keep it up - it would be amazing to see this project evolve as we learn more about Okoto in the offical story. :)

That would be really great, even though I don't have the right minecraft(xbox360).

Edited by Vrokorta
  • Upvote 1

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

That was pretty good! My sister and I just started (and finished) it yesterday. Definitely would be more fun as a survival world rather than just running around looking for the masks (like we did). I think this map deserves a review so I'll do my best to give you my thoughts on it. I tried my best at a review of it here, but I was also trying to be quick, so I'm sorry if it lacks detail at points or if my words don't flow too well.

Regions:

-Region of Ice: When I first teleported here, I thought, "this just looks like a normal snow biome," but it looked nicer once I got deeper into it. Overall, I think you did alright with this region -- mixing ice in with the ground -- but I would have liked to have seen some snow drifts or even glaciers in areas.

-Region of Stone: This place was cool: the jagged landscape helped to distinguish it from a normal desert biome. The sculptures were also a nice touch.

-Region of Jungle: By far the most overwhelming jungle I have ever seen! I mean, I thought it was easy to get lost in a normal jungle biome, but the trees are so tall here that this jungle has multiple levels! It also is incredibly dense and the sun doesn't shine but in a few spots. Certainly, it feels like whoever finds the Mask of Jungle truly earned it and that's what I like about it. However, while I'm used to lag in jungles, this jungle is very glitchy.

-Region of Earth: It's not much to look at (not sure what there really is to see on the suface of this Region), but the landscape is intriguing with all of the crystal veins (which are very well done) and areas were there seem to be great cracks or slashes in the ground. Looking for a cave entrance here is pretty daunting though: like finding a needle in a hay stack (a very, very big hay stack).

Region of Water: The islands here are well done and the area has a serene feel to it, but I would have liked to have seen some stuff under the water. By the way, the villagers as seen in "The Legend" were a really nice touch.

Region of Fire: Not much to say: it's stone and volcanoes. Now, I know it was just the lighting, but I kind of wish the stone looked more like it did in the animations than the grey that it probably would look like in day light (then again, I haven't tried it so that may just look terrible). Also, I think some cracks in the ground like in the Region of Earth would look nice.

Shrines:

Ice Shrine: An ice bridge, stone steps leading up into a hill; the outside looks great (maybe there should be more of a crevace underneath the bridge, but that's minor). However, I would have liked the Mask of Ice to be held in a room inside the hill rather than immeadiately at the top of the stairs.

Stone Shrine: The lead-up isn't too interesting (not that it's much different than the animations), but the pedestal and its immediate surroundings are well done.

Jungle Shrine: It's just a pedestal, but that's okay because it feels well hidden in the trees.

Earth Shrine: Everything I could say about this shrine could be summed up in one word, "EPIC!". If if was just a really tall pedestal surrounded by crystals, it would be awesome, but actually making the cave big enough that you can descend onto the pedestal makes it epic. I kind of wish all the shrines could have felt like this one.

Water Shrine: Descending into a black pit to retrieve the Mask of Water, that was pretty cool! Now if I took a night-vision potion, I'd say the area around the pedestal looks a little bare, but otherwise who could tell?

Fire Shrine: This is my least favorite shrine. The outside looks intruiging, but I'm not a fan of the all-lava walls and floor. The room is also too small.

Masks:

Mask of Ice: When you said it takes a while to charge the shield, you weren't kidding! When I counted, it took about twenty seconds to carge; I think ten seconds would be a more reasonable time. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test it against the Skull Warriors because the mask just stopped working when we got to the Ancient City.

Mask of Stone: Awesome! Definitely a favorite. Not only is it useful and fun, but it works beautifully.

Mask of Jungle: Another favorite. A lot of places don't have enough running space to use it, but it's a cool idea, and again, useful and fun.

Mask of Water: I almost feel like this mask is a little OP, but then again, I didn't use this mask -- my sister did.

Mask of Earth/Fire: I can't say anything about these masks because they weren't working. We wore these masks for something like ten minutes and they still weren't charged (that's an "extended period of time", right?).

City of the Mask Makers:

-The City: Okay, this place just looks too awesome! I mean, it's not that big, but it really has quite a presence, especially from the outside.

-The Gate: This place does a great job in setting the stage for the rest of the city: the bridge is impressive, the entrance is imposing, and the Skull Warriors are a terror.

-The Arena: Pretty cool. Again, not that big, but it has a presence to it. Kudos for building masks all the way around!

'The Mask Makers' Forge: Wow! From the outside, it is so awesome that it makes the whole city around it look awesome! You even made statues? Too cool. However, the inside was kind of disappointing -- too small to make look like the actual forge. Also, is the upper room finished?

-Skull Warriors: Ouch, these guys hurt! Even with my sister and I both fighting them, they were really hard to get past (guess we should have got some armor). I think they were the most successful of the Skull villains.

-Skull Slicer: I kind of expected this guy to kick our butts, but he went down suprisingly easy. I think he should have had more health and used his grabber-claw more often.

-Skull Basher: Again, kind of expected him to kick our butts, but we kicked his. After fighting the multitudes of Skull Warriors, we got pretty good at hitting the baddies away from us and not getting hit ourselves. I think he should have had a bull-charge ability where he briefly gets extreme speed and increased strength.

-Kulta: He hurts. The Skull Warriors hurt too, but Kulta really hurts. Not too hard to beat him with two people once you've got the right strategy, but I could see him being really hard to take on solo. I'm also curious, what mob did you use for him?

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with what you did here. I can see that a lot of work went into this and it is really a quality map. For those who are going to play this map, I suggest you play this as a survival world with a cool setting rather than just going straight for the masks.

Edited by RahiSpeak
  • Upvote 1

-Snip- (insert review here)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! 

It looks like you ended up with one of the glitched saves; the snapshots broke the three masks that you mentioned in the initial save and I had to go back in and fix it(as seen in that one post). Unfortunately, the save that I hastily posted to start with was still bugged, and you may have downloaded that one as well. In fact, I'm kind of worried that the current save is bugged as well... I'll have to double check that as soon as I'm done stressing over studying for exams. 

That new ranged skeleton AI is exceedingly tough; made the warriors a lot stronger than I initially intended(and to think that I was going to make the archers apply slowness as well!). I'm not terribly surprised that it was easy to beat on Slicer and Basher with multiple people(I suppose that's actually somewhat story accurate). That said, I might buff them up a bit in the next update. 

Out of curiosity, did Kulta manage to don the MoC in your fight, or did you take him down too quickly? I was a little worried that he'd go down too fast with multiple opponents... 

Oh, and Kulta is technically a wither skeleton.

Edited by ~garnira returns~

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

Out of curiosity, did Kulta manage to don the MoC in your fight, or did you take him down too quickly? I was a little worried that he'd go down too fast with multiple opponents... 

Oh, and Kulta is technically a wither skeleton.

We certainly did not manage to beat him before he put on the Mask of Creation. Actually, we were both killed by him shortly after he spawned in and spent a lot of time running in circles when we came back.

Cool, I didn't know you could put armor on a wither skeleton.