[Animation] Jala and Onepu Have a Chat

emily

What's happening, folks? I've got a bit of a new animation to share today. I've been working with the assets from Templar's BIONICLE stuff to make my own animations for a few years now (time really does fly, my gosh), and for this one I aimed for a distinct change of pace to match working in a new setting. I really wanted to bring out the characters here, focusing on what I'd like to think are subtleties in movement and behavior - the stuff where the real fun is at. This all in contrast to the more action-oriented stuff I have done previously.

This is really only a part of what I hope will be a longer animation that completes the story set up here, but I had to get this specific part done for a project and it turned out so nice I really wanted to share it.

(and if you want to see the other stuff I've done, go here - heads up that the earlier ones are pretty stinky, though)

I love feedback so don't hold back, type up a post!

• Upvote 13

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

The Ta-Koro Guard: Protector of every other village, but couldn't prevent their own from being destroyed. 

Funny considering there's actually both a Ga-Koro, and Po-Koro Guard, as well as one for Ko-Koro. I haven't looked into it, but there're probably guards for Onu and Le-Koros as well.

Ko-Koro: Sanctum Guard

Ta-Koro: Ta-Koro Guard

Ga-Koro: Ga-Koro Guard

Le-Koro: Gukko Force

Po-Koro: Po-Koro Guard

Onu-Koro: Ussalry Calvary 

bZpOwEr

Hmmmm....

I'm not sure what to make of this one. There's nothing overtly wrong with it, aside from the buzzing (which I normally like, but was annoyed by here, especially with the clicking at the loop's end), and it is part of a larger opus, but it lacks, for want of a better word, pizzazz. There is no discernible pace, which isn't always a problem (see 2001: A Space Odyssey,) but made it harder for me to be immersed.

The Ko-Koro ones, while a bit slow, had cool camera angles and a nice atmosphere, even when little was going on. This one is just... there.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Did you program the sounds into the actual Flash animation or did you add them in in post-production?

That was post-production! I did them in Flash in the older ones and it was absolute heck to get things to work right.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

At first I was put off by the fact that there seemed to be no point to the events in the video, but then I did the responsible internet thing and read your comments on it.  This animation looked very Templar.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

The Ta-Koro Guard: Protector of every other village, but couldn't prevent their own from being destroyed. 

Ta-Koro was an inside job!  Lava can't melt stone beams!

• Upvote 3

Like everyone has said, this is really amazing work! There are a lot of good things going on with the animation, from Onepu's gestures to the glowing lightstones to the random Gahlok lying around. What's even better is that the plot is going to fill in an important gap in the Bohrok story, namely: What happened in Onu-Koro after the initial invention of the Boxor?

In the spirit of giving feedback to help you improve the final product, my one comment is that the captions would be easier for me to read and, I think, would seem to fit better with the video if they were just a little larger. I'm sure that something as easy to do as the captions is of course probably the least of your worries anyway.

Really great work so far; the effort is worth it! :) We all can't wait to see the final product.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Felt like I was watching the old 2002 animations again.  ^_^

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )