Diablos, Desert Tyrant

23840029820_8b57200d41_n.jpg
Flickr

"Wyverns feared as desert tyrants, which take their name from the giant horns that crown the head. The horns are put to lethal use with charging thrusts, and while the Diablos possesses no breath attack, its roar is loud enough to split human eardrums. Like the Monoblos, the Diablos charges its prey or strikes from underground, moving more quickly once it is angered. Extremely territorial, they attack invaders with blind aggression. Highly sensitive to sound, perhaps because they frequently travel beneath the sand. Known to feed on cacti."
-- Hunter's Guild monster notes

Reference image.

And so, another MOC of a creature from the Monster Hunter video game franchise! After series mascots Rathalos and Rathian, Diablos is the other creature which wins the perfect attendance award ... or it would have, had it not slept in during the auditions for Monster Hunter 4 and missed that boat. Ah well. At any rate, it's still a popular monster which can often be found terrorizing hunters in desert regions and whatnot. Those horns aren't just for show, you know...

Also an entry in the January Flickr contest.

~B~ Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 6

I have yet to successfully hunt a Diablos, but this Moc is spot-on. Your usage of pieces is fantastic and highly accurate. The highly detailed Bionicle parts combined with sleeker CCBS parts work very well and captures its bony, rugged, deserty feel extremely well. Also, it looks like it might be a good size for some Monster Hunter minifigs to fight...

I'd even bet a Deviljho would give this MOC a 10/10, which is what I also give it.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to successfully hunt a Diablos, but this Moc is spot-on. Your usage of pieces is fantastic and highly accurate. The highly detailed Bionicle parts combined with sleeker CCBS parts work very well and captures its bony, rugged, deserty feel extremely well. Also, it looks like it might be a good size for some Monster Hunter minifigs to fight...

I'd even bet a Deviljho would give this MOC a 10/10, which is what I also give it.

Thanks for the comment! I'm definitely am glad both Bionicle and CCBS sets have had liberal amounts of tan overall, or else I certainly wouldn't have been able to make a MOC of this size with tan. And some of the Bionicle/Technic pieces worked out extremely well, such as the clawed Piraka foot for its wing fingers and the Roborider skulls on the tailcase.

It's hard to say what a Deviljho would rate this, however, since I bet with his tiny arms using a keyboard would be a real struggle.

I've already faved this on Flickr, but that's no reason not to comment on its awesomeness again. This thing is phenomenal. One of the top ten MOCs I've ever seen, I'd say.

In that case I think you need to see more MOCs. :P But seriously, thanks!

~B~

Looking pretty bestial here, in a good way. My one complaint is that the MOC looks a bit too bright, especially compared to the reference image, and upon first sight. Adding in some more dark tan and other darker colors could make him not look as hard on the eyes. Nevertheless. A fine MOC.

Currently entering Phase One, with 3% chance of complete personality breakdown.

I like that he has a  primarily tan colour scheme, and I do love the wings and leg's and just about everything is good.

His eyes look like the could be much better though.

I actually thought his eyes worked out to look quite similar to the actual creature's eyes. As you can see here, the eyes are located under the horns near the snout, and they are quite small. The MOC has them in the right place, right color, and approximately the right size. In what way specifically do you think the eyes can improved?

Looking pretty bestial here, in a good way. My one complaint is that the MOC looks a bit too bright, especially compared to the reference image, and upon first sight. Adding in some more dark tan and other darker colors could make him not look as hard on the eyes. Nevertheless. A fine MOC.

Thanks for the comment! With respect to his colors, the image I linked to is artwork depicting it as considerably darker than Diablos actually is. Here's a render of Diablos from one of the older games which better shows its coloration and how it's close to Lego's tan.

~B~

Edited by Ballom