Are they fooling us again?

You guys remember the big secret about G1... That which they hide from us for 8 years, the big robot one...

I can't help but think they will do something similar in this incarnation, otherwise it wouldn't be called Bionicle. And I'm sure that the 2 moons have something to do with it. I'm already looking for clues that could give us answers to what secret they're keeping from us.

What do you think? 

You guys remember the big secret about G1... That which they hide from us for 8 years, the big robot one...

I can't help but think they will do something similar in this incarnation, otherwise it wouldn't be called Bionicle. And I'm sure that the 2 moons have something to do with it. I'm already looking for clues that could give us answers to what secret they're keeping from us.

What do you think?

It doesn't have to have the same mystery to be called Bionicle. In fact, repeating the giant robot reveal would be a terrible decision—as this topic itself indicates, we've seen it before, and as such it could never reach the same level of surprise if they used the same twist. Also, I'm pretty sure the "two moons" might just be two of the six planets the Toa came from.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I am certain that there is a large secret in G2, but it will not be another divine metal colossus. Good luck, man.

• Upvote 4

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

There's always the lovely fan theory that it'll be somehow "connected" to the original universe, which would be pretty fun and has some evidence for its possibility. Though if that's the case I wouldn't want them to get crazy into it and start throwing Vezons at us. Keep them separate, but "technically" connected. If they don't bridge the two together, I really won't cry. There are plenty of cooler things they could do. In fact it would almost be too easy at this point lol.

But I agree, I'd love to see a cool plot twist that changes the way we look at our characters and settings, because if it doesn't it would feel a little underwhelming seeing how bold G1 was. They went crazy out there with its plot twist, and it worked pretty darn well for me. They shouldn't replicate it with this gen, and it doesn't even have to be as out there or revolutionary, but I'd like it to still be pretty significant.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 1

If they do another reveal, even another giant robot reveal, I feel like they'll have to make it different somehow. I mean, technically speaking, they'd have to, since the story so far doesn't allude to any mysterious figure who could BE a giant robot. But besides that, the image of a giant robot rising from the ocean has kind of been done. It wouldn't have the same "oomph".

I think if there is a big reveal in G2, it might have more to do with masks, which are a recurring theme. The Mask of Time specifically is shrouded in mystery to a similar extent that Mata Nui was for most of G1, so I'd keep my eyes out for it to become relevant again in the future.

Speaking of which, ought to get back to work on my G1/G2 crossover fanfic. I don't want it to end up being another fanfic I never finish...

Of course, Time is the hinted mystery! Here are the hints I can think of:

Toa-"Timeless heroes" suffering amnesia, come from space

Temple of Time- Most sacred structure on Okoto, allegedly able to open portals to other world's.

Mask of Time- Split into two pieces, comic depicts it using the G1 Vahi.

So time is going to be a big element in G2; or Lego is planning for Bionicle to crossover with Lego Ideas's Doc Brown and Doctor Who :P

• Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I dont think a giant robot will be part of G2. I think the big secret will be about the mask of time or the other planets.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I want to believe that the big twist is that this will all connect back to G1 through some sort of alternate-reality or time travel explanation.  It's not a completely baseless theory, as it would explain the Mask of Time Easter egg, as well as their repeated claims that this is only a "soft" reboot.

qs96136.jpg I ROCK!

Soft reboots, hard reboots flaccid reboots, who cares?

A likely twist would be a Metru G2i that was once on Okoto, with the City of the Mask Makers being the ruins of that. The restored MoT takes the current inhabitants back thousands of years to the beginning of the Island City to start all over again and begin the legends that were around in 2015's story.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Soft reboots, hard reboots flaccid reboots, who cares?

A likely twist would be a Metru G2i that was once on Okoto, with the City of the Mask Makers being the ruins of that. The restored MoT takes the current inhabitants back thousands of years to the beginning of the Island City to start all over again and begin the legends that were around in 2015's story.

Gen2 cyberpunk Bionicle

doooooo iiiiiiit

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

There's no doubt that there are big secrets in G2 we haven't learned yet, but nothing on the same scale as the Great Spirit Robot. The story was only designed to last three years. If BIONICLE does well and LEGO chooses to continue the theme, I'm sure that's when they'll develop a new GSR-scale story element.

There's no doubt that there are big secrets in G2 we haven't learned yet, but nothing on the same scale as the Great Spirit Robot. The story was only designed to last three years. If BIONICLE does well and LEGO chooses to continue the theme, I'm sure that's when they'll develop a new GSR-scale story element.

Let's be fair, though. The Bionicle G1 story's ten-year lifespan wasn't planned from the get-go, but the giant robot reveal WAS. The writers had plans in place to wrap the story up after one year, or three, or however long sales lasted, at which point they'd reveal the "big story engine". If Bionicle hadn't performed so well, maybe we WOULD have gotten the Great Spirit Robot reveal in 2003.

• Upvote 3

The Great Spirit Robot reveal was calculated so that it could have happened at the end of the first year if the sets were not successful. Because they were, the Toa instead failed to wake Mata Nui until the end of 2008. A planned three year run does not in any way rule out the possibility of a greater overarching mystery.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Let's be fair, though. The Bionicle G1 story's ten-year lifespan wasn't planned from the get-go, but the giant robot reveal WAS. The writers had plans in place to wrap the story up after one year, or three, or however long sales lasted, at which point they'd reveal the "big story engine". If Bionicle hadn't performed so well, maybe we WOULD have gotten the Great Spirit Robot reveal in 2003.

The Great Spirit Robot reveal was calculated so that it could have happened at the end of the first year if the sets were not successful. Because they were, the Toa instead failed to wake Mata Nui until the end of 2008. A planned three year run does not in any way rule out the possibility of a greater overarching mystery.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Yeah, it's a good thing those MNOG chapters were released one at a time, each month; There could've been some weird and subtle changes if the sets didn't sell well and the Great Spirit Robot was revealed in 2001.

Edited by Rooster Nui

I kind of hope they're fooling us, as long as it's not the same secret -- but I'm torn on it. I kind of like the idea of a version of Bionicle without a fundamental twist too. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I agree that there must be some big secret that will eventually come out. I'm hoping it'll be something more original though; we don't want to predict everything that's gonna happen. :uhuh:

I have a feeling one big secret we'll eventually learn is the origins of the Toa. For all we we know, they could be extraterrestrial, considering they fell from the sky. :wacko:

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

How about this:  

As the mask makers were put to sleep, the Mask of Ultimate Power switched their bodies.  Thus the Toa awakened Makuta instead of Ekimu.

Or how about:  

Makuta wearing the Mask of Time arrives from the future and destroys the MoUP off his passed self's face.  Thus releasing "himself" from it's control.

The biggest surprise for me would be if it isn't related to Makuta, the MoUP, or the Mask of Time.

Edit:  The Toa are the Great Beings.

Edited by Rakrondewl
  • Upvote 2

My question is whether or not they can fill in the story enough in three years, with the amount of story information they're giving each year, to successfully pull of an interesting Big Story Engine.

At the rate of supplementary material we've been given, unless Journey to One manages to plant a large amount of new stuff, I seriously doubt it.

Currently entering Phase One, with 3% chance of complete personality breakdown.

I by no means need a huge twist....but if I were put my bets on it, it has to be with the Mask of Time and the origin of the Toa. Its been stated that "According to legend it is incomplete: while the upper half is kept in the Temple of Time, the whereabouts of the lower half are unknown." With the obvious meaning here that this Mask of Time has a twin...a lower half twin. You probably understand where I am getting at here. 
-SK

pohatu_like_a_boss.gif

I want the twist to be that Makuta is actually a good guy, and by awakening Ekimu, they've unknowingly doomed Okoto.

It'd be a real nice case of Nice Job Breaking It, Hero.

Of course, I think that since everyone thinks that LEGO won't do another giant robot, that's exactly what they'll do.

• Upvote 4

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I want the twist to be that Makuta is actually a good guy, and by awakening Ekimu, they've unknowingly doomed Okoto.

This is my favorite theory, mostly because it would "rhyme" with G1's reveal, in the sense that the big good/bad ends up being the big bad/good (Ex: Makuta taking control of Mata Nui's body when everyone thought awakening him would bring peace).

Imagine how shocked everyone would be if it turned out Ekimu was the one who summoned the Toa and led them on the false pretenses that they were saving Okoto, but they were actually collecting the masks for Ekimu so he could use all of them to take over the island. Meanwhile, Makuta was actually living in a self-imposed exile after he sealed Ekimu away because he felt he had failed the Okotoans, and the Toa have to find him since he's their last chance to stop Ekimu and save the island. It would rhyme with G1 without being a total rehash.

• Upvote 3

why is this happening

This is my favorite theory, mostly because it would "rhyme" with G1's reveal, in the sense that the big good/bad ends up being the big bad/good (Ex: Makuta taking control of Mata Nui's body when everyone thought awakening him would bring peace).

Imagine how shocked everyone would be if it turned out Ekimu was the one who summoned the Toa and led them on the false pretenses that they were saving Okoto, but they were actually collecting the masks for Ekimu so he could use all of them to take over the island. Meanwhile, Makuta was actually living in a self-imposed exile after he sealed Ekimu away because he felt he had failed the Okotoans, and the Toa have to find him since he's their last chance to stop Ekimu and save the island. It would rhyme with G1 without being a total rehash.

Definitely something I would get behind, but considering how much (or little) LEGO has invested into the story this time, I'm not optimistic about it. 

However, Ekimu is suspiciously OP, so this theory may have a possibility of coming to fruition

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

I for one would love this. The question is, given G2's current age range, if they would confuse the concrete, black-and-white thought processes of their target audience.

...or would they intend to do that...

Currently entering Phase One, with 3% chance of complete personality breakdown.

I would think that instead of just a self-imposed exile, all the things like the Skull Spiders and Skull Everythings are actually servants of Makuta, so that the masks wouldn't fall into Ekimu's hands. It's a severe case of Ididwhatihadtodoeosis.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

The question is, given G2's current age range, if they would confuse the concrete, black-and-white thought processes of their target audience.

G1 started off pretty black & white but escalated to that grey area in only a couple of years. Hopefully G2 goes that way as well; 'cause I'm really hoping for the evil Ekimu. There's something funny about that guy... 

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

The question is, given G2's current age range, if they would confuse the concrete, black-and-white thought processes of their target audience.

G1 started off pretty black & white but escalated to that grey area in only a couple of years. Hopefully G2 goes that way as well; 'cause I'm really hoping for the evil Ekimu. There's something funny about that guy... 

I don't know - the thing is, it took G1 8 years to wake up the main good guy, and there were steep repercussions for doing that, which is probably making people think that Ekimu was woken up too easily for a main good guy. 

But maybe...he just woke up? That would throw the most G1ers off. 

Or maybe Ekimu is just a well-intentioned extremist. He did save Okoto from being destroyed, however. Maybe Makuta was trying to stop something nasty Ekimu was planning and chose the wrong method. That would leave both interestingly flawed characters, which I would appreciate. 

But given how simplistic the story has been so far, I tend to doubt that they would actually go for that. WYSIWYG in this case. 

• Upvote 2

I don't see anything suspicious about the way Ekimu woke up. He obviously knows some things he hasn't told the Toa, but then, so did the Turaga. I don't remember people theorizing that the Turaga were evil, but then again, I wasn't involved in the community back in '01–'03.

As it stands though, I don't think the "Ekimu is really Makuta/Ekimu is evil" theories have much credibility. It just seems like it'd be an out-of-nowhere plot twist that would invalidate previous victories of the Toa, as opposed to the Great Spirit Robot reveal or even the "Makuta's subterfuge" reveal that had several years of genuine build-up.

I think "____ was evil all along" twists are generally unfulfilling as multi-year twists because they make you (the audience) feel bad for liking and trusting a character who was consistently portrayed as likeable and trustworthy. So if you're going to pull a twist like that off, you have to make it clear from the get-go that the character has some issues regardless of what side they claim to be on.

• Upvote 2