CCBS themes you would like to see

bohrokman

An entirely non-humanoid series of robotic creatures that doesn't rely on Technic. They could look sorta like Pokémon.

A successor to Bionicle would be cool too, after G2 ends. Something with a more imaginative premise than Hero Factory had.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Before Hero Factory came out in 2010, we didn't have much detail on this mysterious new constraction theme. I was imagining a series where the heroes would be humans wearing some kind of power-suits, like in Power Rangers or Kamen Rider. I know almost nothing about either series, but I think constraction sets that took inspiration from them could be pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

I'd like a series of LEGO Elves buildable figures, though I don't know for sure if CCBS would be the best system for it or if it might be better to have something based on, say, the Mixels joints.

More Super Heroes buildable figures could be alright, though I imagine I'd only be interested in them for parts. There aren't any superheroes who are particularly close to my heart.

LEGO Ninjago and Nexo Knights buildable figures could be awesome. The biggest question would be how to portray their faces. Just larger minifigure faces would look pretty weird, but the characters have never really been officially depicted as anything OTHER than minifigures.

In terms of new licenses... umm... Steven Universe? Question mark? I don't know how well CCBS would be able to reflect the diverse body types in that theme.

Right now I can't think of any concept for a wholly original CCBS theme that would be all that useful while Bionicle is still running. Except perhaps something girl-oriented that could allow LEGO to enter the fashion doll market the same way Bionicle allowed LEGO to enter the action figure market. But even then, again, I don't see why that couldn't be done as a spin-off of LEGO Elves, and I don't know whether CCBS would be the ideal system for it.

• Upvote 4

I'd like a series of LEGO Elves buildable figures, though I don't know for sure if CCBS would be the best system for it or if it might be better to have something based on, say, the Mixels joints.

More Super Heroes buildable figures could be alright, though I imagine I'd only be interested in them for parts. There aren't any superheroes who are particularly close to my heart.

LEGO Ninjago and Nexo Knights buildable figures could be awesome. The biggest question would be how to portray their faces. Just larger minifigure faces would look pretty weird, but the characters have never really been officially depicted as anything OTHER than minifigures.

In terms of new licenses... umm... Steven Universe? Question mark? I don't know how well CCBS would be able to reflect the diverse body types in that theme.

Right now I can't think of any concept for a wholly original CCBS theme that would be all that useful while Bionicle is still running. Except perhaps something girl-oriented that could allow LEGO to enter the fashion doll market the same way Bionicle allowed LEGO to enter the action figure market. But even then, again, I don't see why that couldn't be done as a spin-off of LEGO Elves, and I don't know whether CCBS would be the ideal system for it.

on the ninjago there is this bootleg https://40.media.tumblr.com/afe3337e1f51f72fc73164bfa523deb3/tumblr_n2ajh6yHri1rkpnbdo1_1280.jpg which looks actually pretty cool and if Lego made something similar with their good plastic instead of horrible knockoff plastics. These are the only bootlegs i would consider buying.

Edited by bohrokman
  • Upvote 1

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

An entirely non-humanoid series of robotic creatures that doesn't rely on Technic. They could look sorta like Pokémon.

I second this.

I think a Knights theme would be sweet, like the big Knight's Kingdom figures, except reduxed.  If they could figure out how to make the armor look cool (and like an actual suit of armor) I would consider buying one.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I'd be happy if I could see anything from CCBS.

Self-deprecating blindman humor aside, some alternative torsos would be nice. Say, a version of the torso that in addition to the shoulder and hip cross bars had one or two additional crossbars between them. Such could be useful for building insectoid or arachnoid creatures. Or instead of spine and hip cross bars, a torso that terminates below the shoulders, but instead of just two shoulders, had 8 shoulders evenly spaced around the neck for building Octopus body types. Perhaps a centaur torso.

Some bone beams that went ball-to-ball or socket-to-socket instead of them all being socket-to-ball would be nice as well.

Basically, anything that makes building something other than a humanoid or quadrupedal beast body shape easier would be nice.

And if anything resembling the pieces I describe above already exists, feel free to hit me over the head with knowledge of sets that include such pieces.

Edited by Jeffery Mewtamer

Just so you know, I'm blinad

Besides not being robotic, you basically just described Mixels. :P

I second Aanchir's desire for "buildable dolls" of themes like Elves and Friends, though like him I'm not sure whether CCBS would be ideal or whether they would be better off with a new system.

I also think that, given the much better execution and reception of the Star Wars buildable figures, it's high time that Lego return to the idea of Super Heroes constraction sets. They wouldn't need excuses like "power armor" anymore—by applying the lessons learned from Bionicle and Star Wars, Lego could do a much better job of creating figures that were accurate and attractive.

I'd be happy if I could see anything from CCBS.

Self-deprecating blindman humor aside, some alternative torsos would be nice. Say, a version of the torso that in addition to the shoulder and hip cross bars had one or two additional crossbars between them. Such could be useful for building insectoid or arachnoid creatures. Or instead of spine and hip cross bars, a torso that terminates below the shoulders, but instead of just two shoulders, had 8 shoulders evenly spaced around the neck for building Octopus body types. Perhaps a centaur torso.

Some bone beams that went ball-to-ball or socket-to-socket instead of them all being socket-to-ball would be nice as well.

Basically, anything that makes building something other than a humanoid or quadrupedal beast body shape easier would be nice.

And if anything resembling the pieces I describe above already exists, feel free to hit me over the head with knowledge of sets that include such pieces.

Nothing like what you described exists, but with the recent direction CCBS torso beams have taken I have to wonder if it even needs to. This year's Star Wars figures introduced a torso beam that only has built-in ball joints for the hips, allowing you to attach shoulder and neck joints however you want. The new Toa's torsos similarly lack shoulder joints, though they do have neck joints (and it's questionable how useful torso rotation would be for a quadrupedal figure). The takeaway is that the era when prefab torso beams were the be-all and end-all of CCBS body builds seems to be ending. New torso beams are being designed with more customization in mind, and beyond that sets like Lord of Skull Spiders raise the question of whether all sets need to be built around a torso beam in the first place.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think a Knights theme would be sweet, like the big Knight's Kingdom figures, except reduxed.  If they could figure out how to make the armor look cool (and like an actual suit of armor) I would consider buying one.

I would bet money that we're gonna see some Nexo Knights constraction figures within two years.

~Unit#phntk#1

• Upvote 1

I would bet money that we're gonna see some Nexo Knights constraction figures within two years.

~Unit#phntk#1

i second this

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg

Personally none. I know it costs more money, but I'd like to see something new from Lego. If possible something that has less humanoid figures.

Non-CCBS non-humanoids wouldn't necessarily cost more money than CCBS humanoids, unless you mean introducing an entirely new building system from the ground up. I mean, say, 70123 Lion Legend Beast was just $10 for 120 pieces, 12 points of articulation, and a minifigure. It was smaller than a $10 CCBS figure like a Protector or Creature set, but still a pretty excellent value. Likewise, the new dragons from LEGO Elves (coming out in March) offer a pretty good value. The Water Dragon Adventure is just $20 for 212 pieces, a dragon with about 16 points of articulation, a mini-doll, and some scenery. It's not unreasonable to think that LEGO could potentially create a series of System-based "buildable figures" that could offer an even better value than CCBS figures. The only major issue is that System-based buildable figures need to take more care to ensure sturdiness, since a lot of System building techniques aren't designed for the same kind of rough action play as Technic/CCBS-based constraction sets.

Personally none. I know it costs more money, but I'd like to see something new from Lego. If possible something that has less humanoid figures.

Non-CCBS non-humanoids wouldn't necessarily cost more money than CCBS humanoids, unless you mean introducing an entirely new building system from the ground up. I mean, say, 70123 Lion Legend Beast was just $10 for 120 pieces, 12 points of articulation, and a minifigure. It was smaller than a $10 CCBS figure like a Protector or Creature set, but still a pretty excellent value. Likewise, the new dragons from LEGO Elves (coming out in March) offer a pretty good value. The Water Dragon Adventure is just $20 for 212 pieces, a dragon with about 16 points of articulation, a mini-doll, and some scenery. It's not unreasonable to think that LEGO could potentially create a series of System-based "buildable figures" that could offer an even better value than CCBS figures. The only major issue is that System-based buildable figures need to take more care to ensure sturdiness, since a lot of System building techniques aren't designed for the same kind of rough action play as Technic/CCBS-based constraction sets.

I have never liked those, mainly because of the overall look that doesn't seem smooth. Take for example the dragon in the Water Dragon adventure. It is a nice figure, but the detailed head is quite different from the simple feet (in contrast also with most of the other sections). I know we are talking about a System-based set and that's why I am ok with it in a system set. As a figure alone? I wouldn't honestly buy it.

Moreover we already had System action figures in the past: Knights' kingdom. Quite boring sets to play with, but not bad ones.

What I was initially trying to say is that to give the figures a new and different look you need new molds (and they cost). You may say one doesn't need new molds to do something creative. That's true, there is an high possibility of being repetitive soon. The heroes in Hero Factory are a major example. Also the main heroes that came after the Inika had that problem.

Personally I think they might try something more creative based on insects (as masterchirox580 suggests too). After all the Bohrok were insects too and they were one of the most popular waves in Bionicle G1 (they had a lot of new pieces too). Same thing for the Rahkshi. I would appreciate  an insect-humanoid figure , but it needs specific pieces to look more like an insect. Here is an example of a design I would like to see (even if it is a bit too aggressive ): Mantis Alien.

CCBS has become quite a generic term, but for example they could try to produce a more complex main body piece.

Edited by Kaxix

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

What I was initially trying to say is that to give the figures a new and different look you need new molds (and they cost). You may say one doesn't need new molds to do something creative. That's true, there is an high possibility of being repetitive soon. The heroes in Hero Factory are a major example. Also the main heroes that came after the Inika had that problem.

Post-Inika canister sets are a bad example because they actually didn't tend to have any fewer new molds than the canister sets that came before them.

Toa Mata: 19 new molds

Bohrok: 17 new molds (Krana variations all came off the same mold)

Toa Nuva: 15 new molds

Bohrok-Kal: 6 new molds

Rahkshi: 22 new molds (Kraata variations all came off the same mold)

Toa Metru: 23 new molds

Vahki: 12 new molds

Toa Hordika: 23 new molds

Visorak: 15 new molds

Piraka: 22 new molds

Toa Inika: 25 new molds

Barraki: 26 new molds

Toa Mahri: 23 new molds

Phantoka: 25 new molds

Mistika: 22 new molds

Glatorian: 19 new molds

Glatorian Legends: 18 new molds

Stars: 6 new molds

These numbers do not include canisters and count pre-assembled parts like the Cordak Blasters and Midak Skyblasters as one mold each, though realistically they would need multiples.

So as you can see, the number of new molds per series didn't really start to consistently decline until 2009. The number of new molds in the Phantoka sets was second only to the number of new molds in the Barraki sets. The number of new molds in the Toa Mahri sets was as many as in the Toa Metru or Toa Hordika sets and more than in the Rahkshi or Piraka sets. The Bohrok may have had "a lot of new pieces" individually (as in, more than 50% of the parts in any given Bohrok set were new molds), but as a series, they had fewer new molds than ANY series of canister sets from 2006 to 2009. And the Rahkshi had no more new molds than any canister set series from the Piraka through the Mistika. In fact, the average number of new parts per series from the Barraki through the Stars (19.86) is actually HIGHER than the average number of new parts per series from the Toa Mata through the Toa Inika (18.09).

tl;dr: the decrease in the number of new Bionicle pieces after 2006 is largely an imagined one.

CCBS has become quite a generic term, but for example they could try to produce a more complex main body piece.

More complex how, exactly? I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, I'm just curious what you mean by it. By "main body piece" do you mean a beam or a shell? We've actually gotten a few new torso beams this year, like this, this, and this. And the new torso shell on this year's Toa sets is definitely more complex than any previous ones visually, even though it's less complex in terms of connection points. Overall I think there are definitely plenty of possibilities for new torso pieces in the future even without stepping outside what would be considered "CCBS".

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Post-Inika canister sets are a bad example because they actually didn't tend to have any fewer new molds than the canister sets that came before them.

Toa Mata: 19 new molds

Bohrok: 17 new molds (Krana variations all came off the same mold)

Toa Nuva: 15 new molds

Bohrok-Kal: 6 new molds

Rahkshi: 22 new molds (Kraata variations all came off the same mold)

Toa Metru: 23 new molds

Vahki: 12 new molds

Toa Hordika: 23 new molds

Visorak: 14 new molds

Piraka: 22 new molds

Toa Inika: 25 new molds

Barraki: 26 new molds

Toa Mahri: 23 new molds

Phantoka: 25 new molds

Mistika: 22 new molds

Glatorian: 19 new molds

Glatorian Legends: 18 new molds

Stars: 6 new molds

These numbers do not include canisters and count pre-assembled parts like the Cordak Blasters and Midak Skyblasters as one mold each, though realistically they would need multiples.

So as you can see, the number of new molds per series didn't really start to consistently decline until 2009. The number of new molds in the Phantoka sets was second only to the number of new molds in the Barraki sets. The number of new molds in the Toa Mahri sets was as many as in the Toa Metru or Toa Hordika sets and more than in the Rahkshi or Piraka sets. The Bohrok may have had "a lot of new pieces" individually (as in, more than 50% of the parts in any given Bohrok set were new molds), but as a series, they had fewer new molds than ANY series of canister sets from 2006 to 2009. And the Rahkshi had no more new molds than any canister set series from the Piraka through the Mistika. In fact, the average number of new parts per series from the Barraki through the Stars (19.86) is actually HIGHER than the average number of new parts per series from the Toa Mata through the Toa Inika (18).

tl;dr: the decrease in the number of new Bionicle pieces after 2006 is largely an imagined one.

More complex how, exactly? I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, I'm just curious what you mean by it. By "main body piece" do you mean a beam or a shell? We've actually gotten a few new torso beams this year, like this, this, and this. And the new torso shell on this year's Toa sets is definitely more complex than any previous ones visually, even though it's less complex in terms of connection points. Overall I think there are definitely plenty of possibilities for new torso pieces in the future even without stepping outside what would be considered "CCBS".

I have never said that all of the sets that came after the Inika had less new molds. I was talking specifically about the main heroes. To be more precise (and this it is my fault for not being clear ) let's exclude the weapons and the masks. Apart from a few exceptions that mainly come from the Mahri, the limbs, the feet, the main armour pieces and the main body pieces were always the same. This wasn't very common before the 2006 heroes.

People often say that because since they share the main (and often larger) pieces and for that reason they look very similar. And that's true. Apart from the first Nuva, you can clearly see more differences in the heroes before 2006 comparing each wave.

The Bohrok and the Rahkshi had a lot of main new pieces, they also introduced something we didn't have before in term of different shape (look at the Bohrok's head or the Rahkshi spine for example). Also you are making a comparison as whole waves while I am talking more about the single sets from different waves. In that sense we had basically clones in each wave before 2006, yes.

I am assuming that it takes more time to create those kinds of  new parts and often they are crucial (also they are normally large ones). And more time means also higher costs.

For "main body piece" I mean the black one in this picture. I'd like to see something that has a more developed structure like Inika upper torso piece.

Another way is to add more little pieces around it as they did for the Toa this year.

I appreciate what they did for Bionicle this year to allow rotation.

Edited by Kaxix

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

I agree with the original poster that superheroes could use another shot. With the newer pieces available, I bet that they could pull those off way better. Even though they are not my favorite sets, the human styled Star Wars sets pull off their heads way better than the superhero ones did. 

Seeing those knockoffs convinced me that Ninjago could be pulled off fairly well.

I also think that Nexo Knights would be a good fit because of their armored appearance (I was also a huge fan of the Knight's Kingdom II action figures, so more of those would be nice).

I feel having a female focused theme along the lines of Elves or Friends would be really fun to have in CCBS for several reasons:

1) A lot of the colors in those sets are lovely and need to show up more.

2) A lot of toys along those lines come with clothing accessories, and I think robots in scarves or capes or cowls look cool.

3) Maybe with more than one or two female characters showing up in a line, Lego will finally make some more feminine shells and armor pieces for CCBS. It always kind of bothered me that in the animations, Gali was always more slender than the other Toa but in the actual sets, she has the same size and body type as all the others. All of the current CCBS armor has a more muscled, masculine look to it. Having some pieces that can pull off  a skinny or slender look would be great just for the added diversity in the builds.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Anything that's not human, honestly. I really don't think CCBS works too much with human figures.

I thought CCBS was intended for more humanoid characters, since it allows for a more smooth, uniform appearance. The Star Wars figures look pretty good so far, but it seems to clash with Bionicle's mechanized parts.

I don't think it particularly clashes with either style, to be honest — there have been some pretty good CCBS sets of humans and organic characters from Star Wars and Legends of Chima, of fully mechanical characters and battle machines from Hero Factory, and of biomechanical characters from Bionicle.

I think that overall the CCBS was designed with versatility in mind, so it wouldn't be locked into building JUST mechanical characters or JUST organic characters, and so that LEGO could use it across multiple constraction themes. That brings up something important about future constraction themes — their viability might have more to do with how well they stand out from the other currently available constraction themes than with how well they fit in.

• Upvote 3

I'll take anything that is directly responsible for the following:

*A new foot mold that works for humanoids

*A poseable hand mold

*A generalized torso shell that balances smoothness and complexity well

*A very non-specialized torso bone (which we seem to be moving in the direction of.)

Currently entering Phase One, with 3% chance of complete personality breakdown.

I'd love to see if lego could handle a Pokemon ccbs theme characters like humanoid pokemon and dragons like charizard and dragonite could have great potential.

that would be cool and then they could do something like throwbots with the cases and battles.

I'm tempted to say that I want them to shrink down the price of the medium sized sets after the end of Bionicle to 13$. Granted, they wouldn't be as fabulous, but the way the prices for the different sized sets keep increasing over the years is somewhat concerning. Then again, I may not like it. I don't know, just a thought.

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

Speaking of Pokemon, anyone else find it weird there aren't any Japanese licenses among Lego's offerings? ######, Harry Potter is the only non-American license I can think of. Still, I'd buy a Lego Mew on principle alone.

Well that would be an interesting idea. Although due to the more rounded look a lot of them have I think it might be difficult to pull off. And I think the reason Lego don't have any Japanese licenses yet is probably because I hear they're still an emerging product in Asia.

It's time to move on.

Something insect/dragon-like thing would be cool. We have far to many humanoids and not enough zany characters.

I'd have to completely agree with you on that. Anyways, one reason lego wouldn't do pokemon is because Ionix already does pokemon (but if Ionix can do it, I think lego can do it better).

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

To be real, I'm gonna say Exo-Force or something else robot-centered. CCBS really works with robots, but it can still look kinda basic at times.

As for dreaming out loud, CCBS Halo would suck my wallet beyond dry before I have time to blink. I know darn well this will never ever happen, but I still invite you to just imagine it with me. Even if someone just custom makes any pieces to make this happen for fun, I will die happy.

mindeth the cobwebs

To be real, I'm gonna say Exo-Force or something else robot-centered. CCBS really works with robots, but it can still look kinda basic at times.

As for dreaming out loud, CCBS Halo would suck my wallet beyond dry before I have time to blink. I know darn well this will never ever happen, but I still invite you to just imagine it with me. Even if someone just custom makes any pieces to make this happen for fun, I will die happy.

Tough luck, i doubt Mega Brands will let go of their Mega Bloks Halo license any time soon. Mega Bloks also has a tight on Power Rangers and Call of Duty minifig playsets.

Also halo and call of duty is unlikely for lego since those are combat military games with a lot of blood involved. Blood is kept in moderation in marvel movies and star wars and that's the only reason lego considers them ok for getting licenses for.

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

As for dreaming out loud, CCBS Halo would suck my wallet beyond dry before I have time to blink. I know darn well this will never ever happen, but I still invite you to just imagine it with me. Even if someone just custom makes any pieces to make this happen for fun, I will die happy.

Tough luck, i doubt Mega Brands will let go of their Mega Bloks Halo license any time soon. Mega Bloks also has a tight on Power Rangers and Call of Duty minifig playsets.

Also halo and call of duty is unlikely for lego since those are combat military games with a lot of blood involved. Blood is kept in moderation in marvel movies and star wars and that's the only reason lego considers them ok for getting licenses for.

dreaming out loud

I know darn well this will never ever happen

mindeth the cobwebs

Meh, if Lego ever made a line based on a license for a video game with a sci-fi theme and a super soldier PC, I'd be more interested in Metroid. Zero Suit or Casual Samus might be a bit too organic to work well, but how cool would a CCBS model of Samus in her power suit be? With part sets corresponding to things such as the Fusion suit, Varia Suit, Dark and Light suits from Prime Trilogy, etc.

But that would be another Japanese License. In fact, the only video game license I can think of that I'd both be interested in and isn't Japanese(or produced by the American branch of a Japanese company) is Mortal Kombat, and that certainly doesn't fit with Lego's family friendly reputation.

Okay, there's Tetris, but what could Lego do with such a license that an amateur MOCer couldn't?

Oh, and I'm working on a CCBS MOC with a centaur body style, and while I've managed to combine two torsos in a way that allows the waist to swivel, it's only making me want an actual centaur torso that much more. The connection scheme I've come with doesn't seem vary stable and is bulky to the point that it leves little room for covering the back, and the way the neck ball of the torso used for the horse part works well for attaching a crotch plate where human and horse torsos meet, it prtrudes a bit too much, especially when the human part is turned to the side.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

CCBS Master Chief? Oh yeah!

I don't really know what I'd want in CCBS. I ignored Constraction entirely sincecmy last G1 set in 2007, up until the reboot in G2. Bionicle kind of is my sole interest in CCBS, although I'd love to get some Star Wars stuff that is being sold right now.

But yeah as for "new themes," I have no idea!

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

CCBS Master Chief? Oh yeah!

I'd take two! If they even did variants for his different armors throughout the series, two of each for me!

And now that I think about it, CCBS Nexo Knights would look absolutely boss. I would buy those too.

mindeth the cobwebs