Toy Fair 2016: Ninjago

Nice coverage. Kind of a shame three sets weren't shown. I guess they'll be store exclusives. Titanium Ninja Tumbler was shown at Nuremberg Toy Fair, but the others weren't so no idea what they'll look like.

Of the March sets I'm most excited for Tiger Widow Island, and of the August sets I'm most excited for Ultra Stealth Raider, but really there are a lot of stellar set designs this year. Ultra Stealth Raider is a great evolution of the Ultra Sonic Raider, still seating all four ninja but now splitting into four vehicles instead of two. Also, it comes with the Anacondrai version of Eyezor (albeit without his mohawk) and Chen's special chair, some of the main things missing from last year's March wave! Meanwhile, Tiger Widow Island has our first female bigfig, Nya in her new Skybound costume, Ghost Cole, and some beautiful landscaping and architecture.

One of the biggest surprises is that the summer wave is divided between three new sets related to season 6 (Skybound), marked with a pirate flag on the boxes, and season 7, marked with a dragon-patterned lantern on the box. This is the first time a single wave has been divided between two story arcs. Speaking of that lantern, the ghost of Sensei Yang carries it in the Ultra Stealth Raider set, so I'll bet he's the main villain for that story arc.

There are some disappointments. In the summer sets, all the ninja are released in "throwback" outfits that reference their previous costumes... except for Nya, who only appears in her Skybound costume (even in the Salvage M.E.C. set that is based on the new story arc). Hopefully she will get a new costume in one of the three sets we haven't seen yet. We do know what her "throwback" costume would look like since they're the same costumes used in the "Realm of Shadows" stage show at LEGOLAND Malaysia. Lloyd doesn't appear in his "throwback" costume in these sets, but it was confirmed in a minifigure turnaround at Nuremberg Toy Fair, so he must be in one of the sets that wasn't shown.

Also, while Nadakhan's sky pirate crew has the most balanced gender ratios of any Ninjago enemy faction to date (two female characters out of nine sky pirates, Monkey Wretch included), the sets for the summer story arc don't appear to include any female villains. Kind of a bummer, especially since many of the villains from classic factions ARE new designs.

I do like that the Rock Roader has a Ninjago trading card tile, just like the Temple of Airjitzu and City of Stiix sets last year! Those are always a fun reference to the Ninjago theme's origins.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Really great ninjago wave! Too bad the Titanium Ninja Tumbler wasn't there as it takes #1 spot for me for this wave. Well it's somewhere up there with the stealth raider... Also, looking at Ronin M.E.C., am I the only one who noticed the Exo-Force Hikaru wing logo on its orange leg? Coincidence? ;)

The only set I will not be getting this summer wave is Lloyd's NRG Dragon, I'm not buying it because I need to save a bit of money after buying all the other sets and also no exclusive minifigures really LEGO? Every single minifigure in that set is available in the winter wave, I mean wouldn't they add some kind of draw to it? Maybe Lloyd actually in NRG form or something along those lines would have been a great addition. 

The set will still be popular with the younger crowd because its the Green Ninja's Dragon but apart from that it doesn't appeal to me at all to be honest.

But the other sets are awesome, I am so glad old enemies are back, that is really fantastic in my opinion, this wave will relate to the movie I'm guessing and that's why all these enemies are back. Overall though, great job LEGO!

And Fishers, I couldn't believe it either, granted it's $69.99 here in Australia (although i got it for $65 at Big W), but still an amazing deal for the size of the set it is, I look forward to reviewing it!

*donut chomp* I still cannot believe that Tiger Widow island is as cheap as it is - it looks as if it could cost far more. The mech set also appeals, if only to get Nya on a skateboard. 

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

The winter waves looks absolutely fantastic and I'm seriously considering getting most of the sets, even if that's not a financially smart idea. The summer wave, however, doesn't appeal to me quite as much. But the Green Dragon looks epic and sooo want the purple ninja. (I think he appeared as a hospital kid in show in an episode... would be really interesting if he actually does use the new wheelchair mold in that set. Still, a shame he appears to be using the older Ninja headwrap mold.) Although still waiting to see what "Airjitzu Battle Grounds" and "Samurai X Cave" look like.

Thanks again for the picts!

:music:

Of the March sets I'm most excited for Tiger Widow Island [...] Meanwhile, Tiger Widow Island has our first female bigfig, Nya in her new Skybound costume, Ghost Cole, and some beautiful landscaping and architecture.

Fun fact: BZPower's very own Brickthing was the lead designer on that set.

I do like that the Rock Roader has a Ninjago trading card tile, just like the Temple of Airjitzu and City of Stiix sets last year! Those are always a fun reference to the Ninjago theme's origins.

This one too.
  • Upvote 1

Lego should just come straight out and confirm the Overmonkey's the main villain of the next season.

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

tn_TF16_Ninjago_20.jpg

For some reason, this vehicle from its set gives me a futuristic 'Wizard of Oz' vibe. I could see one of those monkeys driving a machine like this. Now I want to see a Wizard of Oz/Ninjago crossover take place outside of Lego Dimensions. :P 

But anyways, I really like the look of these sets. The minifigs they have look good too. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png