Brutaka's Second Pair of Arms?

Junior Shark

The title pretty much says it all. Last night I rebuilt my Brutaka set. He's still incredibly awesome. But what's up with his second pair of arms? Checking BioSector, there's only a reference to throwing knives kept in his armor. Is there any other canon reason for the arms? Are they even arms? They bulk what would otherwise be a plain Piraka upper torso, so do they serve to bulk him up?

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

I think you'd be right on the whole bulking-up thing. Throwing knives would seem pretty out of character for someone like Brutaka. Heck, the word brute is in his name.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

They might not actually be actual arms at all, but a mechanical function of his armor. Think pressing a button, and two little spring-loaded arms pop out, allowing him to access the knives without reaching into his armor.

But, that's just a theory.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I think those "arms" were used to fire blaster bolts in Bionicle Heroes, but that game is as non-canon as they come.

I think it is just a set thing to give him a certain shape and not actual anatomy, kind of like how some sets like Strakk or 2015 Onua have extended necks, but really they are just there to have their heads jut more forward. Though I kind of like the theory that they are just some fancy holsters for his back-up weapons.

• Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I think you'd be right on the whole bulking-up thing. Throwing knives would seem pretty out of character for someone like Brutaka. Heck, the word brute is in his name.

Anyone who's read any of the story knows that he's far from a brute. Brutaka was a scholar and tactician. Axonn was more the brute, if anything.

And the arms have no canon significance, but Greg once described them as a sort of retractable holster for his throwing knives, which he actually did use. In one of the serials, I think, it was very briefly mentioned that he threw a knife at someone--who or where or in what material, I don't remember, but I know he did it at least once.

Part of this is because Greg had to write the material based on prototypes of the sets, so if the prototype Brutaka didn't have a certain feature, it wouldn't have made it into the story. That is why the knives weren't mentioned or used much, but when fans asked about it later on, they were confirmed to be throwing knives that were strapped to his back by what appears to be mobile holsters....

Wait, I just remembered. It was in Federation of Fear, when Brutaka was caught up in Tren Krom's tentacle. Here's the passage:

Brutaka had managed to work an arm partway loose. With a little luck, he would be able to get his hand on a dagger and cut himself free... all he needed was time. “So what happened? How did you end up here?”

Dagger, throwing knife... In these stories, they function similarly, as Lariska constantly demonstrates.

So, yes. The daggers are fully canon, the arms are not. Think of them as just special bits of armor that hold the knives.

• Upvote 3

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I just thought they were just little mechanical arms that would extend out his throwing knives so he can readily grab them.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I never owned the set, though I do know of this little detail. Perhaps they are simply vestigial remnants of an ancient set of back arms that his species still has due to them now serving a minor perpose. Not much to do with them though, you can't really hold weapons in them, or stab. So maybe they can be fitted to shoot lazers, or to be used to hold small objects in light of having one's hands full.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I choose to believe that Brutaka got them in the Pit, leading to this situation:

Despite the fact that Brutaka had them before going to the Pit....

They might not actually be actual arms at all, but a mechanical function of his armor. Think pressing a button, and two little spring-loaded arms pop out, allowing him to access the knives without reaching into his armor.

But, that's just a theory.

Anyone who's read any of the story knows that he's far from a brute. Brutaka was a scholar and tactician. Axonn was more the brute, if anything.

And the arms have no canon significance, but Greg once described them as a sort of retractable holster for his throwing knives, which he actually did use. In one of the serials, I think, it was very briefly mentioned that he threw a knife at someone--who or where or in what material, I don't remember, but I know he did it at least once.

Part of this is because Greg had to write the material based on prototypes of the sets, so if the prototype Brutaka didn't have a certain feature, it wouldn't have made it into the story. That is why the knives weren't mentioned or used much, but when fans asked about it later on, they were confirmed to be throwing knives that were strapped to his back by what appears to be mobile holsters....

Wait, I just remembered. It was in Federation of Fear, when Brutaka was caught up in Tren Krom's tentacle. Here's the passage:

Brutaka had managed to work an arm partway loose. With a little luck, he would be able to get his hand on a dagger and cut himself free... all he needed was time. “So what happened? How did you end up here?”

Dagger, throwing knife... In these stories, they function similarly, as Lariska constantly demonstrates.

So, yes. The daggers are fully canon, the arms are not. Think of them as just special bits of armor that hold the knives.

Seems like the "special holster" seems to be the consensus/prevailing theory. I like it.

Edited by Junior Shark

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

Purpose twain: it gives shape to his body, and serves as back sheathes to the little daggers. If you don't want to use the daggers, they also give the appearance of shoulder blades. Greatest passive pun ever.

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, so they actually exist? The only times I saw them was in BIONICLE Heroes and in a single promotional pic on BS01. I allus assumed  that this was a prototype design and that the final version didn't have these. I mean, in none of the other pics on his page are they clearly visible.

Edit: Ah yes, on second examination I can see how they fold up. Funny I never noticed all these years.

Edit 2: Boy his torso design is awesome  :cry:

Edited by Toa Doublebee
  • Upvote 2

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png