How do you store your spare parts?

Pretty much what the title says.

I've been using the storage bin that came with the Mindstorms resource kit I bought to jump start my collection of technic parts, but it didn't really seem adequate to begin with and as I've gained more spare parts from adding various Bionicle sets, I find myself with storage too small to hold everything and so disorganized that I spend more time searching for a particular part than actually building when I'm in the mood for building with Lego.

I've used Plano brand tackle boxes to great effect storing some of my other construction toys, but some fo the CCBS parts are rather buly and awkwardly shaped that I don't think they'd work well for storing/organizing lego pieces.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

When I was at college and thus couldn't sort the spare parts to new sets into my larger collection, I started storing them in ziploc bags. And when I left college, I kept doing that, in part because the bulk of my collection was inaccessible to me. These days I've expanded to more bags and started sorting them between things like System parts, Technic parts, and minifigure weapons and accessories.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Like Lyichir, I used to use ziploc bags. But, after a while, the bags couldn't hold my parts, so I had to upgrade to a bunch of those plastic drawers witht he white frame. However, I'd like to go and get a tool sorter from Home Depot or Lowes or something. Like so:

7c4dcee49b2afa7b611831620e15e9c7.jpg

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I have some moderate-sized, rectangular storage containers next to my main building table that each contain notable minifigures, miscellaneous minifigure parts, studs, cylinders and 2x2 round bricks, and miscellaneous weapon parts, i.e. rods, clips, my surprising amount of spare katanas, that sort of thing, respectively.

The rest of my parts either fall into the broad categories of plates and tiles, large moulded pieces, Technic and constraction, bricks, transparent pieces, wheels, vegetation and smaller custom constructions like grated bins. It could definitely use some more aggressive categorisation, but it's good for the most part.

Edited by Turnipmensch

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

I'm still stuck in a Ziploc bag phase. And lots of PaB cups. I have a massive collection, but being in college and whatnot it's cheaper to buy Ziploc bags than neat storing systems like above. One day. I have a couple massive tubs that I throw the bags into.

You have a great idea with tackle boxes. I use my old tackle boxes to bring Lego on the road with me when I'm travelling. I also use them for ad hoc sorting/storage trays when MOCing.

If you wait until the last minute, then it only takes one minute. 

Flickr    BZPRPG   

I have one of those three-tiered sliding drawer things. I sort parts only by color family. But someday I'd like to upgrade to something like Shadow suggested. It'd be a lot easier to find parts.

I got the idea from a friend of mine who used to live right around the corner from me. Back then, I didn't have a lot of loose parts that needed organizing, but now, it's looking like a really handy option.

I'm still stuck in a Ziploc bag phase. And lots of PaB cups. I have a massive collection, but being in college and whatnot it's cheaper to buy Ziploc bags than neat storing systems like above. One day. I have a couple massive tubs that I throw the bags into.

Actually, I found a decent one at Home Depot not too long ago for $20. I didn't buy it at the time, but next time I'm down that way, I plan to pick one up. :)

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Incredibly organized. Painstakingly organized.

Something I've found handy for keeping pieces in are plastic takeout Chinese food containers. They're about 4.5"x7" and maybe 2" deep, which seems to be a pretty good size, and they stack well.

I also have some "bead organizers" or whatever that I use to keep some of my smaller pieces in. This kind of thing.

I store pieces in all sorts of containers and cases and stuff, but those are probably the more notable examples.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of those three-tiered sliding drawer things. I sort parts only by color family.

Yeah, I've got a five-tiered sliding drawer myself, and they're sorted by colour family with the fifth drawer being for minifigs and minifig accessories.

My black/grey/white drawer is almost full though. I might need a separate one just for them. :v

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Well, recently bought another Plano 4-by-rack tackle system for storing Lego. Doesn't work as well as it did for my Zome parts, but a tremendous improvement.

If I remember correctly, I've got parts divided up as follows:

Small compartment in lid: common small technic parts(axle-2, pin-2 and pin-3, pin-axle, bushings, small gears.

Tray 1: Technic connectors, half thickness and bent technic beams.

Tray 2: CCBS bones and technic beams.

Tray 3: CCBS Shells and Armor(Still need to sort contents.

Tray 4: CCBS/Technic weapons and accessories.

Top compartment: 6 of my 8 Throwbot containers holding other pieces(the remaining 2 are in the top compartment of my Zome Tackle Box since all either won't fit and the lid be able to latch.

Pieces contained in the throwbot containers include:

Container 1: CCBS heads and Masks.

Container 2: Axles, Throwbot Wings and torsos.

Container 3: Throwbot throwing arms.

Container 4: System parts(I don't have many) including technic brick beams.

Container 5: Throwbot legs and ankle/hip joints.

Container 6: Gears

Container 7: CCBS Torsos

Can't remember if the last container is Throwbot heads or if I threw them in with something else and it contains something different.

Might run into problems in the not so distant future though. I only recently got back into Lego, and while all I've got so far is:

The 8 Original Throwbots

-The 2015 Toa

-The Elemental Creatures

-a few other Bionicle G2 sets

-An old Mindstorms Resource kit(NXT rather than EVO because Lego's online store is screen reader hostile and the EVO resource kit was going for nearly twice the price on Amazon at the time).

I'm already nearing capacity of my newly purchased tackle box.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I literally throw them into whatever storage bin is handy. I do somewhat sort them by the theme they came from. ex. a bin of castle and space parts, a bin of Ninjago parts...

-O Knavery

Most vile, O trick of the Empire's basest wit.

A snare, a ruse, a ploy: and we the fools.

What great deception hath been plied today--

O rebels, do you hear? Fie, 'tis a trap! -Admiral Ackbar

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a few of the small bins The 1st Shadow posted but the majority are in bags in drawers or large clear bins separated by color.

I've also got a lot of bins for "assorted" so you know the sad state of my organization.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

i just keep the good pieces in a bag and every thing else goes into one big bin

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

Since I'm going off to college, I had to leave the vast majority of my (and my brother's) Lego collection behind. We store our lego parts sorted roughly by category in about a dozen plastic bins and drawers. I did take along my collection of 2001-2003 sets and parts, and so far they all fit in a single plastic bin, waiting to be reassembled and displayed when I get my dorm.

I really need a better signature.

I have several of the stack-on containers pointed out earlier for my system part. Bionicle and Technic wise, some of it is in a three-tiered chest of drawers, while the rest stays in bins a closet where I shove things I don't want to have to look at. All of these bin have broken piece, and who knows what other junk in there too. They're starting to smell pretty bad as well... Maybe one day I'll find a solution for all those parts, but currently, I just have to search for what I want and wash it off.

Edited by Valendale