What on Earth is Happening in the Story?

I was a fan of Ninjago since its beginnings in the Lego Club Magazine and online games that teased the series back in late 2010. I got most of the sets that I could and I liked the sets' designs and the characters' designs too. I tried to follow the series as best as I could, but without cable television, I was never really able to watch the episodes released. My knowledge goes to the rise of the Golden Ninja, but that's it. Even that bit of knowledge is quite limited and I know little trivia of the series, be it characters, locations, items, or plotlines. I know of the sets up until the summer of 2013, as that is about where I lost major interest in the theme as a whole. I don't exactly have the time to sit down and watch the entire series online these days, and the Ninjago Wiki is much too unstable for me to read as much as I can.

Basically, I want to know the story from 2013 to the present. I would like to know as much as I need to know to understand what is happening and why things are the way they are. I am very confused on the sets that Lego had produced and that is because of my confusion of the storyline. I understand that this topic will most likely end up having lots of spoilers and I appreciate that some people don't want to be spoiled on things that they want to see for themselves. I'm not that kind of person, but it would still be considerate of others' opinions to use the spoiler tag system.

Will you please help me out and explain to me the story of Ninjago so I may get back into the line? Thank you.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

It's a mess. :P

In all seriousness, since the time of the Stone army and the Golden Ninja, a guy named Cyrus Borg developed super-tech to amp up Ninjago City. This tech was possessed by the revived Overlord and he built an army of Nindroids based on Zane's design. He attempted and succeeded in stealing enough of Lloyd's power to make himself incarnate.
He later retrieved the material from the Golden Weapons to built armor to protect him from the Ninja. Zane sacrificed himself to destroy the Overlord once and for all. However, a backup of his mind was saved in the assistant droid known as PIXAL, and Zane used Borg's tech to rebuild himself.

Winter 2015

Unfortunately, a maniac named Master Chen was obsessed with stealing all of the known elemental powers in Ninjago, with the intent of using the power to transform himself and his servants into copies of the Anacondrai. He starts by kidnapping a newly revived Zane before the Ice ninja can reunite with his friends. He uses Zane and the prospect of a grand prize to get the Ninja and the other Elemental masters to compete in a tournament. The losers would get their powers drained.
He succeeds, but only by using small quantities of the elements due to Kai restoring everyone's powers. The ensuing battle leads to Pythor teaming up with the Ninja to get Chen and his fellow cultists sucked into the Cursed Realm. Unfortunately, someone slipped out of the CR when no one was looking...

Summer 2015

The CR escapee was a former student of Wu's named Morro, Master of Wind. The story here got a little weird, so forgive me if I'm not 100% accurate. Morro leads a ghost army against the Ninja, attempting to locate the Realm Crystal, which allows the user to pass between worlds, including Chima, apparently. He uses it to bring his Mistress, the Preeminent into the world of Ninjago. Along the way, Cole is transformed into a ghost. The Preeminent turns out to be a living creature that hosts the Cursed Realm within her. However, Ghosts and the Cursed Realm are unable to withstand water, and the ninja trick the Preeminent into getting destroyed in the ocean.

Winter 2016

One of the Realms that suffered due to an imbalance caused by the loss of the Cursed Realm was a place called Djinnjago, world of the Djinn. Nadakhan, the Djinn prince, manages to get into Ninjago and tries to transform it into a rough copy of his world. If he marries on Djinn land, he can grant himself infinite wishes. Jay is able to save the day after a lot of nonsense.

That's the basics of it. :)

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

It's a mess. :P

In all seriousness, since the time of the Stone army and the Golden Ninja, a guy named Cyrus Borg developed super-tech to amp up Ninjago City. This tech was possessed by the revived Overlord and he built an army of Nindroids based on Zane's design. He attempted and succeeded in stealing enough of Lloyd's power to make himself incarnate.

He later retrieved the material from the Golden Weapons to built armor to protect him from the Ninja. Zane sacrificed himself to destroy the Overlord once and for all. However, a backup of his mind was saved in the assistant droid known as PIXAL, and Zane used Borg's tech to rebuild himself.

Winter 2015

Unfortunately, a maniac named Master Chen was obsessed with stealing all of the known elemental powers in Ninjago, with the intent of using the power to transform himself and his servants into copies of the Anacondrai. He starts by kidnapping a newly revived Zane before the Ice ninja can reunite with his friends. He uses Zane and the prospect of a grand prize to get the Ninja and the other Elemental masters to compete in a tournament. The losers would get their powers drained.

He succeeds, but only by using small quantities of the elements due to Kai restoring everyone's powers. The ensuing battle leads to Pythor teaming up with the Ninja to get Chen and his fellow cultists sucked into the Cursed Realm. Unfortunately, someone slipped out of the CR when no one was looking...

Summer 2015

The CR escapee was a former student of Wu's named Morro, Master of Wind. The story here got a little weird, so forgive me if I'm not 100% accurate. Morro leads a ghost army against the Ninja, attempting to locate the Realm Crystal, which allows the user to pass between worlds, including Chima, apparently. He uses it to bring his Mistress, the Preeminent into the world of Ninjago. Along the way, Cole is transformed into a ghost. The Preeminent turns out to be a living creature that hosts the Cursed Realm within her. However, Ghosts and the Cursed Realm are unable to withstand water, and the ninja trick the Preeminent into getting destroyed in the ocean.

Winter 2016

One of the Realms that suffered due to an imbalance caused by the loss of the Cursed Realm was a place called Djinnjago, world of the Djinn. Nadakhan, the Djinn prince, manages to get into Ninjago and tries to transform it into a rough copy of his world. If he marries on Djinn land, he can grant himself infinite wishes. Jay is able to save the day after a lot of nonsense.

That's the basics of it. :)

Actually, "it's a mess" is a pretty accurate description.

So the ninjas battle robots, Zane sacrifices himself in order to save his brothers even though he doesn't die, Zane is captured and the ninjas save him via tournament arc, ghosts invade, Cole becomes a ghost and the ninjas destroy the Ninjago Spirit Realm Signs style, and then Jay saves the world from Djinnfection by not letting some dude marry in Ninjago. Makes perfect sense to me. 

Not just a mess, but a hot mess. Thanks, man! I'll see what I can do with knowledge. 

t5pQDlO.jpg

(and people say G2 is a mess....)

Honestly, a lot of series would sound like a mess if you tried to sum up four seasons of story in four paragraphs, especially series like LEGO Ninjago where the status quo is so fluid. Some series would even be a lot MORE confusing… Doctor Who, anyone?

Beyond that, I've never heard anyone say Bionicle G2 is a mess in this same sense. If anything, a lot of people seem to feel like Bionicle G2 is too simple and straightforward. The Ninjago story, with its many plot twists, is a lot closer to Bionicle G1. If you tried to sum up the Bionicle 2006–2008 story like this it would be pretty confusing in its own right.

Really, the best way to understand the Ninjago storyline is to watch the series yourself. Unfortunately, Seasons 4 and 5 are not yet on Netflix, so there's no easy way to binge watch them without buying each season. And Season 6 hasn't even aired in full in the United States.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered that seasons 3, 4, and 5 are all available for free on-demand viewing on the Cartoon Network website. You just have to select your cable provider to prove you have Cartoon Network. I guess this won't help you personally since you mention you don't have cable, but it could be useful for other people wanting to get caught up.

Edited by Aanchir

Well, it looks like I'll just have to use Netflix if I plan on watching the series at all.

The thing with G1 and Ninjago being similar isn't too far off. Last year, I tried to tell the entirety of the Bionicle storyline (minus the specifics) to my friends in the least amount of time that I could manage. The story came out very similar to how The 1st Shadow's summary of the recent Ninjago waves was formatted and ended up as a mess within itself.

t5pQDlO.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You could watch all the cartoon on Kisscartoon.com

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.