[Digital MOC Commission] Uxar and Ketar

Another digital MOC commission, done for lovely ghost-mantis!

27581422353_d301061154_c.jpg

[Digital MOC Commission] Uxar and Ketar by Artemiy Karpinskiy, on Flickr

She commissioned me to do my revisions of two of her favorite Elemental Creatures - Uxar and Ketar.
As you all can see, I took a very drastic approach. They do not look anything like their sets, and both me and Ghost-Mantis are okay with that.

28093108702_3f2893822e_z.jpg

[Digital MOC Commission] Uxar by Artemiy Karpinskiy, on Flickr

28093109322_d4bb9b48b4_z.jpg

[Digital MOC Commission] Ketar by Artemiy Karpinskiy, on Flickr

I made Uxar to look like both a moth and a dragonfly, with fluffy body and long tail. As for Ketar, I just made him a scorpion which he supposed to represent. I am quite proud of this segmented back and organic pincer design.

---

If you like what I do and you want to see me create your OC, a favorite Bionicle Character, or something else, feel free to look up my Commission Info!

Edited by The Mugbearer
  • Upvote 4

Love it.

Ketar is my favorite-- I really like the ridged pattern on his back that you created out of the Exo-Force robot arms. The use of a CCBS shell and the Mantax pincer as his tail barb is genius-- it really captures the shape of an actual scorpion tail. The System pieces you used for his feet create an unusual design that works really well-- in fact, I can't really imagine how anything else could work as well as the hinged elements you chose. They are the perfect size relative to the rest of his body-- you really nailed the proportions on this guy. I'm tempted to suggest adding some glowing eyes to Ketar, but then again, I can't seem to locate the eyes on an actual scorpion either. I really dig the overall look of him.

Uxar strikes me as a little less refined than Ketar, but I can see the difficulties one might encounter in designing a CCBS dragonfly (the official Uxar set sure doesn't look like one). I think rather than using the big System wings, I would have gone with an extra pair of the HF half-shield pieces (the thingies Furno XL had). From what I can tell, it looks like the black cheese slopes near the front of his head are supposed to be his eyes-- good job on those. It seems like you were trying to capture the hairiness of a dragonfly by using the CCBS fur elements on his torso, but I think they ended up being a bit much. Not sure how I would fix it though-- maybe just try adding more of the Viking horn/large barb elements to the rest of him? Probably my biggest beef with him is the wings jutting out of his head. I looked at some dragonfly pictures to try and see what you were going for, but I can't quite figure it out. That said, I like his simplified color scheme, though I would have added more translucent parts in keeping with the common appearance of real-life dragonflies.

Overall, I like what you did here. It would be cool to see your take on the other four creatures. :)

Edited by Disciple
  • Upvote 1

Probably my biggest beef with him is the wings jutting out of his head. I looked at some dragonfly pictures to try and see what you were going for, but I can't quite figure it out.

Thank you for your detailed feedback, however you seem to have missed the part when I said that Uxar supposed to be a mix between a moth and a dragonfly. So all the fluff, and the big feelers on his head, are inherited from a moth. In fact, I used this as a reference image:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Moth_September_2008-3.jpg

Look at this precious baby, friend! It's so fluffy I wanna die! <3