LEGO and Disney Announce their Latest Collaboration

71040_Disney_Castle_Reveal_teaser.jpg

Today LEGO is officially taking the wraps off of the latest Direct To Consumer model, and it's among the most impressive so far in 2016. 71040 The Disney Castle will be a familiar sight to anyone who has been to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida or seen images of the iconic structure that dominates the skyline of the Magic Kingdom. Weighing in at over four thousand pieces, it's truly the highlight of any Disney fan's LEGO collection. To see the hi-res images and read the full press release, read on!

View the full article

Why, lego? [ :(] Why? [:(]

Because Disney is beloved by millions of people around the world? Or were you looking for something a little less on the nose?

Anyway, this set looks amazing and has some really creative touches to recreate iconic details from both the castle and the various Disney animated movies! All in all, it feels very authentic and impeccably detailed.

What a price tag though! $350 LEGO sets are not unheard of, but they used to be mostly constrained to the Star Wars theme (UCS Millennium Falcon, Death Star, and Super Star Destroyer) while we're now seeing more and more of them in other themes (Avengers Helicarrier, Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters, and now The Disney Castle).

If anybody's curious, the designer of this set is Marcos Bessa, who has also worked on lots of other iconic licensed sets.

• Upvote 2

I want this. I want this. I want this.

But 350$...? I'm going to have buyers remorse like no other, but this looks really awesome.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Because Disney is beloved by millions of people around the world?

I know, it's just... I hate seeing a toy company I used to admire associate with them. [ :(]

LEGO has been associating with Disney since back when they still made wooden toys, and they even had a Mickey Mouse theme shortly before Bionicle was first launched! Partnerships between LEGO and Disney have also gone the other way: for instance, the first three Bionicle movies were distributed by Miramax, which was owned by Disney at the time.

What is it about Disney specifically that draws your ire, though? I mean, I know that they're a huge mega-corporation, but so are most of the other entertainment companies that LEGO has had licenses with, like Sony and Time Warner.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

LEGO has been associating with Disney since back when they still made wooden toys,

I know! [:P] But still, it saddens me to think that Lego of all companies might be involved in evil stuff.

What is it about Disney specifically that draws your ire, though? I mean, I know that they're a huge mega-corporation, but so are most of the other entertainment companies that LEGO has had licenses with, like Sony and Time Warner.

To my knowledge, none of those other companies have had ties with the illuminati. For all we know, Disney might even /be/ to illuminati, seeing how there isn't solid evidence of it in other companies.

cLT23Pz.png

If only there was a Steam for LEGO where they put sets on gigantic discounts. :P

LEGO has been associating with Disney since back when they still made wooden toys,

I know! [ :P] But still, it saddens me to think that Lego of all companies might be involved in evil stuff.

To my knowledge, none of those other companies have had ties with the illuminati. For all we know, Disney might even /be/ to illuminati, seeing how there isn't solid evidence of it in other companies.

Actually, I hear TLG are the ones who founded the Illuminati. They received a message from Makuta who offered to help them in exchange for founding the Brotherhood of Makuta, known to commoners as the Illuminati. How else do you think LEGO got enough mana to be able to cast Unlimited Brick Works? Plastic ain't cheap or infinite... at least, not for them.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey
  • Upvote 4

There isn't any solid evidence of it in ANY company. It's an obscure secret society that hasn't really existed on any organized level since the 18th century and was never a power player in world business or politics. There were some moral panics in the 19th and 20th centuries based on theories that they might still be operating covertly or have been behind events such as the French Revolution, but these rumors died down as people realized there really wasn't any substance to them.

The only place that the Illuminati still exist and work towards a "New World Order" are in fiction and in the minds of conspiracy theorists. Several Illuminati conspiracy theories were popularized as a vehicle for anti-semitism, too, so while people are free to harmlessly joke about Illuminati conspiracy theories today, they do have a kiiiiinda sketchy past.

On the other hand, if you want a laugh, some writers and animators will happily regale you with candid tales of the the role of secret societies in the television industry.

• Upvote 1

The roof is a triangle. Confirmed confirmed confirmed.

For a $350 set it seems... underwhelming? It seems to be more play focused than a collector's set, which is what you can usually parse from the price tag. The current Disney castle sets as well as the Batcave are both very good in their respective markets, and this castle seems like it's trying to be both?

• Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Really??!! Ah, well it is a highly secretive organisation. They wouldn't know if they were.

~ CHTrilogy

There isn't any solid evidence of it in ANY company. It's an obscure secret society that hasn't really existed on any organized level since the 18th century and was never a power player in world business or politics. There were some moral panics in the 19th and 20th centuries based on theories that they might still be operating covertly or have been behind events such as the French Revolution, but these rumors died down as people realized there really wasn't any substance to them.

The only place that the Illuminati still exist and work towards a "New World Order" are in fiction and in the minds of conspiracy theorists. Several Illuminati conspiracy theories were popularized as a vehicle for anti-semitism, too, so while people are free to harmlessly joke about Illuminati conspiracy theories today, they do have a kiiiiinda sketchy past.

On the other hand, if you want a laugh, some writers and animators will happily regale you with candid tales of the the role of secret societies in the television industry.

That's what they want you to think.

Now, if only Lego were to release a licensed tin foil hat...

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I'd love to agree with you, really I would. But there is evidence, specifically a reference in an old ducktales episode regarding said organisation.

How do you know the reference wasn't just the creators poking fun at illuminati conspiracy theories? You know, a joke? Like cartoons have all the time? Googling for the reference, it seems like an obvious, intentional background gag, not the kind of thing a real super-secret society would put out there for anybody in the world to see.

Beyond that, one easter egg in one scene in one episode of one show is hardly evidence that Disney has deep ties to a massive global conspiracy. Storyboard artists and animators stick easter eggs into things all the time. For that matter, so do LEGO designers. Usually all it means is "the person drawing that scene/designing that set thought it was funny or clever and none of their higher-ups vetoed it".

EDIT: Didn't see your post, Black Six. Sorry.

Edited by Aanchir

There is a possibility that it was a mere easter egg, however given the fact that the animation was created when cell shading was still in use, and every camera angle of the scene had to be drawn differently, /and/ that the message appeared in multiple different angles, it's more likely that it was a deliberate reference instead of a throwaway joke.

And yes, stopping now @B6.

cLT23Pz.png

That is one impressive set. I really like the look of it and all the little details added onto it as well.

But I don't know if I'm going to get it though. That $350 price tag is painful to even look upon. I understand being that price, with it having over 4,000 Lego pieces and having the Disney name on it. But it's still one I don't think I can afford.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

• 3 weeks later...

Looks awesome! My girlfriend is in love with the set but I do not think I will be able to buy it for her for the forseeable future - the price is insane!

Guess I will have to settle for the CMF.