What purpose to Rahi serve in the MU/GSR?

Just a quick question here that I hadn't really thought of before. It might've been answered in canon somewhere, but I don't remember; what is the purpose of Rahi in/on the GSR? Most "highly sentient" beings (Matoran, Toa, etc.) serve various purposes, but I can't really think of any for Rahi, especially since some Rahi endangered some of the "highly sentient" beings.

Any thoughts?

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Well, the blade burrowers had some kind of overarching purpose that was never revealed, as they started digging the Skrall Shield symbol at some point.

If I remember correctly, barring those Rahi that were invented prior to the activation and sealing of the GSR, the rest were made by the Makuta. The Makuta were supposed to create various beasts of burden that would assist the Matoran in their duties, however something went HAL in the Makuta's programming (or whatever it was that gave them all an inherent tendency for malevolence), and they decided to start experimenting with all kinds of dangerous and violent creatures as well.

Plus, Chirox was a sociopath/psychopath, and yet someone thought he should be put in charge of Rahi invention in spite of that. 

Basically, had everything went according to plan and the Makuta didn't glitch, I guess there were supposed to be no violent or dangerous Rahi at all.

I don't recall why the Makuta all became evil, but I guess that is a question for another thread.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Well, the blade burrowers had some kind of overarching purpose that was never revealed, as they started digging the Skrall Shield symbol at some point.

Wrong. It was the UDD symbol, meant to remind MN of his mission to repair Spherus Magna. The Valley of the Maze emblem had nothing to do with it.

In answer to the question, some rahi were meant as beasts of burden to assist the Matoran and other races in their tasks, while some of the more vicious ones were created to keep Matoran and other beings away from hazardous parts of the GSR's system, such as the propulsion systems in the feet and lower legs.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Wrong. It was the UDD symbol, meant to remind MN of his mission to repair Spherus Magna. The Valley of the Maze emblem had nothing to do with it.

In answer to the question, some rahi were meant as beasts of burden to assist the Matoran and other races in their tasks, while some of the more vicious ones were created to keep Matoran and other beings away from hazardous parts of the GSR's system, such as the propulsion systems in the feet and lower legs.

Right, my bad. I was writing my post out of memory and it was some time since I read the serials. Oh well.

Plus, that explanation is much more on point than mine.

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

the matoran universe is an ecosystem of sorts, so the Rahi fill the same niche that animals do in reality, they hunt matoran, matoran hunt them, etc.

now for the overall function of the robot i have no idea. but given walruses don't stop global warming or maintain the magnetic fields i'm not sure they need one?

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

the matoran universe is an ecosystem of sorts, so the Rahi fill the same niche that animals do in reality, they hunt matoran, matoran hunt them, etc.

now for the overall function of the robot i have no idea. but given walruses don't stop global warming or maintain the magnetic fields i'm not sure they need one?

But the GSR isn't a natural ecosystem. The great beings didn't create a functioning "world" inside the GSR for the sake of it. Everything they placed inside had a given purpose, everything was there for a reason. 

In natural, organic ecosystems, the end goal of life is to reproduce, hence the walruses lacking the abilities to stop global warming. However, the GSR is one massive machine which is maintained by nanomachines within it. It is engineering, all about efficiency. Would you put a random part into your PC that serves no purpose?

• Upvote 2

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

That's kinda what I thought originally, but you don't just throw in a bunch of extra screws when you're building a machine. Each component in a system should have some purpose.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

That's kinda what I thought originally, but you don't just throw in a bunch of extra screws when you're building a machine. Each component in a system should have some purpose.

I'm just saying what they do, why they're there is anyone's guess given how patchy the canon of bionicle is. like i legit can't think of a good reason for putting spring-loaded tigers less than a mile from a populated settlement, but i am also not a retcon makuta, so...

truthfully in a "functional" GSR there'd be no rahi but there are simply cuz local flavor says animals in fantasy settings are cooler.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

i legit can't think of a good reason for putting spring-loaded tigers less than a mile from a populated settlement, but i am also not a retcon makuta, so...

Spring-loaded tigers?

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

• 2 weeks later...

Although I know it's not the case, I feel like it would make more sense for the Blade Burrowers to be making the Valley of the Maze emblem as opposed to the UDD emblem. Rahaga Bomonga tried mapping out the tunnels and, while he concluded they weren't random, he didn't know what it was. I feel like he would know the UDD emblem, but he wouldn't know the Valley of the Maze. Mata Nui would potentially know that emblem, and it would remind him of home.

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Other than being the wildlife of the MU, and being used for transport in some cases, I believe that it was said by the Story Team once that they were basically the white blood cells of Mata Nui, or something like that. Seems weird, since the Toa always seemed to be this to me. Maybe some of them have abilities that the Matoran also take advantage of in their society. There may be some Rahi that has lightning powers, which the Matoran could use to power some generators or an electricity grid in some village. Seems a bit slavery-ish though.

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.