2013 Camaro --Girlfriend's first MOC

The other day, my girlfriend suggested that I pick her up from work and teach her how to build something, since she didn't grow up with LEGO and had no idea how to do half the things I do. Since a Chevy Camaro is her dream car, I suggested we try that. So, I picked her up, and took her to my work (Bricks & Minifigs, the original store here in Washington), and we set to work. About 3.5 hours later (with some parts suggestions and techniques from my own experience), her dream car was built!

And with her permission, I'm showing it off to the lot of you.

(Photos taken with her phone--hence, the odd angles)

Front-ish

Front-ish with doors open

Front/above

Side

Back/above

Rear

Holding car with her new Sigfig

Sometime this week, we're going to replace the windshield and add handles on the doors. And yes, it can fit two Minifigs.

Thanks for looking. :)

Comments? Critiques? Cranberry pancakes?

Edited by The 1st Shadow
  • Upvote 5

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I'm no expert on the particular car, so I'm gonna leave the judgment of accuracy to somebody else. But seeing it as just a LEGO car, I'd say that's pretty impressive for a first MOC. The car's shape is a little blocky on some parts, especially the roof, but I'm not sure how intentional that was. Putting that and the visible studs aside, I can tell this is supposed to be a pretty sleek car. And the ability to fit in minifigures really makes the car for me.

I think this is a good first MOC, even if I'm uneducated when it comes to so much as the appearance off the source material. Also, reducing the amount of visible studs would really improve the car's sleekness, but that's up to your girlfriend.

Edited by The Root

mindeth the cobwebs

I'm no expert on the particular car, so I'm gonna leave the judgment of accuracy to somebody else. But seeing it as just a LEGO car, I'd say that's pretty impressive for a first MOC. The car's shape is a little blocky on some parts, especially the roof, but I'm not sure how intentional that was. Putting that and the visible studs aside, I can tell this is supposed to be a pretty sleek car. And the ability to fit in minifigures really makes the car for me.

I think this is a good first MOC, even if I'm uneducated when it comes to so much as the appearance off the source material. Also, reducing the amount of visible studs would really improve the car's sleekness, but that's up to your girlfriend.

Like I said, it was her first time building anything with LEGO, so we can kinda expect a little blockiness.

Once I teach her some better techniques and how parts work, we may revamp it later on to clear up some of those issues.

And you're not familiar with Bumblebee from the live-action Transformers movies? This was modeled after his appearance in the first three films.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Hey, that's pretty sweet for a first MOC. I'm with The Root on saying that it'd look sleeker if there were less studs on it, but other than that - it's a MOC anyone could be pleased with and proud of. I know it's a Chevy Camaro (and can identify it as one), but it vaguely reminds me of the flash utes I've seen a number of lads driving about my town in. Your girlfriend has a good MOCing future ahead of her.

Congrats!

• Upvote 1

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Like I said, it was her first time building anything with LEGO, so we can kinda expect a little blockiness.

Once I teach her some better techniques and how parts work, we may revamp it later on to clear up some of those issues.

And you're not familiar with Bumblebee from the live-action Transformers movies? This was modeled after his appearance in the first three films.

No worries; it's a common aspect on cars made by budding MOCists.

Not a bad idea. Then you can also have her expand beyond cars eventually!

Dang, I loved Bumblebee when those movies came out! I haven't seen any of those movies in years, so my memory's fuzzy. Sorry about that!

mindeth the cobwebs

Not a bad idea. Then you can also have her expand beyond cars eventually!

Dang, I loved Bumblebee when those movies came out! I haven't seen any of those movies in years, so my memory's fuzzy. Sorry about that!

One day, I'll teach her how to do Technic and CCBS :P That'll be interesting

No worries. :)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Yeah it's good, I feel like the door hinges could be vulnerable though, since they seem to have only one connection point. I recommend changing them so they're less likely to fall out. Everything else though seems pretty dang good, tell your girlfriend that she did good.

• 2 weeks later...

[...] tell your girlfriend that she did good.

*well

As I'm not the first to say, this is a great first MOC. The blockiness and studs don't really bother me; it strikes me as a pretty good translation of the actual car (which I'm not too familiar with; just using Bumblebee as my mental reference) into LEGO. A possible improvement that does come to mind is replacing the black 2x6 plate on the hood with two black 1x6 tiles, keeping with the smooth aesthetic of the black stripe on the roof and back of the car (this would also reduce the stud intensity). If you want to go all out, you could also replace the 2x2 tile with two 1x2s, to keep the groove running down the middle of the stripe consistent.

This is all, of course, a minor observation in an otherwise stunning MOC. Tell your girlfriend for me she has a natural talent for LEGO... And also ask her for me where to find women like her. (Just kidding. (Not really.))

Lastly, since you asked so nicely, here you go: eat up!

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

[...] tell your girlfriend that she did good.

*well

As I'm not the first to say, this is a great first MOC. The blockiness and studs don't really bother me; it strikes me as a pretty good translation of the actual car (which I'm not too familiar with; just using Bumblebee as my mental reference) into LEGO. A possible improvement that does come to mind is replacing the black 2x6 plate on the hood with two black 1x6 tiles, keeping with the smooth aesthetic of the black stripe on the roof and back of the car (this would also reduce the stud intensity). If you want to go all out, you could also replace the 2x2 tile with two 1x2s, to keep the groove running down the middle of the stripe consistent.

This is all, of course, a minor observation in an otherwise stunning MOC. Tell your girlfriend for me she has a natural talent for LEGO... And also ask her for me where to find women like her. (Just kidding. (Not really.))

A lot of it was done with input from me, since she doesn't know LEGO well at all. But she knows her favorite car, and once she got all the parts, the rest was just a matter of putting it together. And thanks! I needed some dessert. :P

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Cookie...meh. I has a STEAK!!! OM NOM NOM NOM...I ate my steak in five bites and barely chewed. Darn it.

And, in an unrelated note to my humor up top(what little there is...) I would say, as a shy guy who actually specializes in combined system/CCBS/CBS, using Lego bricks in conjunction with Technical Bionicle, and CCBS Bionicle, that, even though it was a first timer's original build, that your GF should keep it the way it is. I find no fault(despite being a Bumblebee fan and sad its blue, not yellow ;_;) even though studs are showing. In my opinion, this is even better than my first moc, which was a messed up jeep that had Lewa's Mata mask as a steering wheel. I regret that day still...ahem. So, despite studs, there is JUST enough showing that someone can "Dark of the Moon" Camaro it, with gun emplacements. Good accidental feature! You have a good GF who can use Lego's quite nicely.