Canisters vs Bags vs Boxes

Canisters forever. The G2 boxes are second, and I positively hate the idea of bags. I always liked the unique lids the canisters got, and the Mahri ones served as these awesome underwater-pods that can convert into a Cordak Blaster turret! How cool is that?

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Boxes are for big sets. Canisters are for average sets. Bags are for small sets. This was the way it was for 20 years until everything started changing recently

Actually, 15 or so years ago it was big boxes for big sets, canisters for medium sets, small boxes for small sets and polybags for promotional items and tiny-tiny sets.

This whole bag nonsense was introduced by HF, if I recall correctly.

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I went with canisters, because frankly I really don't care either way, each of the three ways is good for me.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I prefer canisters for purely aesthetic reasons. Well, not exactly. I love the ability to store the full sets in the packages they come in, I never have to worry about the packaging getting crushed, and they look much more appealing than bags or boxes on the shelf. Yeah, the Hero Factory bags had the ability to store sets, as the bags were resealable, but they just felt really cheap.The new Bionicle G2 (most likely future constraction as well) boxes are a massive step up from bags, but they kind of lost that storage quality, but that might just be my sheer idiocy with trying in vain to close them. I threw the bags out, and I flattened the boxes to stack them. Sure, I keep my old constraction canisters in a box in my attic, but I would consider putting them on display because they look nice. They also tie into the story, which is pretty cool. Even the top of the Bionicle canisters had ulterior functions until 2005!

The boxes for Titan sets are fine, as they feel like normal Lego set boxes, and feel sturdy.

In my eyes the hierarchy goes as follows: Plastic and metal canisters beat boxes, and boxes beat bags. 

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

In my view, packaging should either be durable enough to double as permanent storage containers or minimalist to reduce landfill content.

The closest I've ever owned to a canister set are the original Throwbots, but assuming the canisters were the result of trying to make a version of the Throwbot carriers that wouldn't come apart easily and didn't need a box around it, I'd say canisters qualify as packaging that doubles as permanent storage container.

As for boxes versus bags, many of the boxes seem redundant since most of the parts are bagged anyways, though perhaps it's better to use cardboard(usually biodegradable) over plastic bags(usually non-biodegradable) for making a sufficiently durable disposable container for larger sets.

Though Lego isn't as bad with wasteful packaging as some(fingernail-sized memory cards in greeting card-sized packaging that probably weighs more than 100x what the memory card does comes to mind).

Just so you know, I'm blinad

• 3 weeks later...

ahh the good old days of canisters. the bags are not cool they're food packaging and not the least bit attractive to look at 

S    Q       U    I       D     M     A     S     T     E    R

check out my imgur gallery for bionicle photography: https://mahatparthiban.imgur.com/all/

As much as I like the canisters, my vote went to boxes. I like the boxes because they can be made more ecofriendly while also being saved for storage uses. Also parts are less likely to get damaged in a strong box or canister as opposed to the bags. The canisters, while they are cool, aren't as feasible anymore due to how much plastic it takes to make them, the amount of space they take up when you store them and keep the sets out (I know some don't keep the canisters, but I'm not one of those people).

All in all, boxes are the best of both worlds imo.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Ha, just made a blog post about this. Up until recently, I've advocated for canisters. Always loved how they integrated into the storyline (suva, sphere, etc.)--just one more layer of finesse and care.

Now that I have like...60...I'm beginning to really appreciate the new boxes for G2.

2 key requirements for me to swap to boxes:

1) They collapse cleanly (see G2). Quick knife cut to the tape, all folds down. G1 box glue is a huge pain. Do not want.

2) The collapsed state is sturdy and consistent. I need minimal flaps hanging out and folds that collapse into a very compact state. Again, G2 boxes were great. Traditional rectangle/cube boxes are more unwieldy.

Only bummer with boxes is that they still tend to take more damage at the store/in transit than canisters. Hate getting a crushed one in the mail.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Always canisters. It's another appeal to make it stand out on the shelf. There are ways to make biodegradable and environmentally friendly canisters. Boxes are pretty boring in comparison, and the bags never caught my eye. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

As my room becomes more and more stuffed with History books, the G2 boxes become easily storable. I even saved a buch of them in a bigger box and believed I had thrown them out for months.

Polybags would also have been nice.

Canisters are cool and all, but with inflation with days it would drive the sets price point by about 3-5 dollas, I think.