Bionicle Concludes Again

I just keep posting here, hoping it'll fill this empty feeling I have. I just found the original topic for Bionicle being confirmed for 2015. Remember how excited we all were? How much we speculated whether that Mask was the elusive Mask of Creation, whether the new theme would be a reboot or a continuation, whether or not the line would last another 10 years...

That was less than two years ago.  

-NotS

Wow, I feel really jaded now. I'm just sitting here picturing how different the line could've gone after that point. Ah well. We got some good sets at least.

• Upvote 2

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I've posted parts of this elsewhere on other sites, and while I certainly believe that the set designers put their heart and soul into Bionicle, I would say that the reboot on the whole was just weak. I saw someone compare it to some of the recent Hollywood reboots of movies where you have familiar themes and names that came back from G1 like Tahu, Mata Nui, and Makuta, but they're just a shell of what the original was. The names may have been familiar, but the personalities of the Toa were changed ("I didn't slip!"), Mata Nui goes from a mysterious god-like being to a mask maker, and the narration of the comics results in Gali having a male voice. This alienates older fans of G1, and then you combine that with Lego's poor storytelling, which fails to draw in newer fans to G2, and you get a theme that's dead in the water. 

For example, does anyone remember those original Toa Mata movies that came on CDs packaged in the sets themselves? As a 12 year old, I was beyond amazed at these videos. The island of Mata Nui was a place I wanted to visit so bad, and that was created with early 2000s technology! Compared to what we got with generation 2, and G2 doesn't hold a candle anywhere near to G1. Lego had such a rich story to work with, but they simplified it down to nothing and then decided to make ... a Netflix exclusive TV show? I know Netflix is popular, but there's no guarantee that every 8-12 year old, or whatever the specific target age Lego was going after even has a Netflix account to use. And I haven't even touched on how great and influential the comics were. A 12 year old is going to share a comic with their friends and get others interested in. This is actually how I first became aware of Bionicle. A friend of mine got his Lego magazine about a month before my came and he brought the very first Bionicle comic to school. Even a good Youtube video would have been way easier to share than a Netflix series.

In addition, let's face it, Lego didn't bring back Bionicle to make fans happy again, it's 100% a business decision. They specifically state this on their Twitter account in regards to the cancellation .The theme sold well in the past and they were counting on it to sell well again. I think that someone high up in the Lego company thought that they could ride the wave of nostalgia and put minimal effort into the advertisement and story side of Bionicle and wait for fans to come flocking back. That obviously didn't happen.

That pretty much sums up how I felt. When the reboot was looming ahead back in 2014, I was excited because of what I hoped Lego could do now with much more resources at their disposal. What actually came out was something that felt half baked in terms of atmosphere, lore and general presentation. The map of Mata-nui back in 2001 gave you the sense that this could be a real place that you could explore and it actually looked like a realistic landmass. I could see what they were trying to do with Okoto but you never got the sense that there was a history behind it. Mata-nui's setting had character as shown through CG images, the online game and trailers. Okoto was just another island with different elemental zones jammed into one place.

evangelyne.jpg

I'm not here to offer another post-mortem report on "what LEGO should have done" or use this news as an excuse to belittle and castigate G2. That's been done enough already, it seems.

I am here to extend a parting eulogy to a line that had the guts to retell a beloved storyline, the prescience to make functions in sets relevant again, and the boundless enthusiasm of a new line cutting itself its own space. That the potential the reboot had was quashed so early in its lifetime is nothing short of tragic for me.

So I offer this small gratitude once more to the line that last received such a statement from me in 2010...

Thanks, G2.

• Upvote 7

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.

I think it's just sunk in. I don't believe it!! I mean, they hardly gave it a chance, have they?! How can a toy line like this ever expect to build up an audience when it gets cancelled just when it gets going?!?!?

That's assuming that Bionicle G2's audience was liable to grow considerably in the years to come. But the truth is, from all indications, Bionicle G2's sales weren't growing — they were shrinking. By comparison, G1 Bionicle and Ninjago both had extremely strong sales to begin with and saw continued strong sales their second year. It's rare for any LEGO theme to last more than two or three years if it doesn't perform strongly right out of the gate, because that's usually a sign that the concept doesn't really resonate with kids. Investing more and more in a theme that's underperforming doesn't somehow guarantee a bigger return on your investment.

No! Not again! I'm genuinely . It's such a shame since they did well with the 2015 sets but botched the 2016 ones. Umarak the Hunter was good, and I liked the idea of the uniter sets (though I didn't like the actual Toa design), but the beasts and the new Ekimu were a mistake (again, Umarak was the only good looking one here). It's just such a waste since they got a second chance and didn't make it. I'm not criticizing the creators, I'm sure they did their best, but it obviously wasn't enough. I don't even blame it on the new constraction technique, because the sets honestly looked great. I honestly would have preferred it if they continued in the same Universe. Maybe not exactly where they left off (for the sets anyway), but there was plenty to be had. In fact, I reckon they limited themselves by starting over the story. I know that sounds silly, but in a way, it's not. By doing what they did, they forced themselves to finish this cliche story that's been told a million times, and it was a massive gamble (one that they lost), because there wasn't an escape plan. They couldn't just have a cliff hanger and cut to another story, or have an ending to that story arc in writing or comic (or webisode form), and they couldn't really create any new more interesting characters (or just take somebody from the lore) because the way they made it out, they needed to finish that 'initiation' type story before they could move on. HOWEVER, I will be starting a petition for Greg to continue the existing lore, or at least have somebody else write it, or simply hold a competetion where the winner's piece gets cannon-ized. So if anybody's interested, then keep an eye out, and I should have a petition ready in a few days ...

Matoro is dead. (Lol)

Without Greg continuing the original story, I couldn't stay interested. I bought Onua, but that was it.

I've seen a lot of comments expressing wishes that it were a continuation of the old story, but even Greg himself said years ago that if he were in charge of Bionicle's return he wouldn't do it as a continuation due to what a burden ten years of backstory would be for new fans. It's kind of weird to me that so many people who think the Bionicle story was/would be strongest under his direction aren't prepared to take him at his word on that matter.

It kind of reminds me of how Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd both loved the idea of an all-female Ghostbusters movie and thought the women who were cast were extremely funny and talented, and yet hundreds of Internet dudebros still somehow managed to ramble on and on about how the new Ghostbusters would be lame, unfunny, and disrespectful to the comic genius of the original cast. "Yeah, such-and-such was a brilliant and irreplaceable part of this beloved franchise, but what do they know about what's best for it?"

I don't mean this to equate your ambivalence about Bionicle G2 to the nerd rage of a bunch of cynical whiners. But it's just interesting how often fans of a franchise think extremely highly of its creators, and ignore or dismiss when those creators would rather see a new and different take on it than a continuation of their own previous work.

Edited by Aanchir

I don't mean this to equate your ambivalence about Bionicle G2 to the nerd rage of a bunch of cynical whiners. But it's just interesting how often fans of a franchise think extremely highly of its creators, and ignore or dismiss when those creators would rather see a new and different take on it than a continuation of their own previous work.

Interesting point. A mistake was made somewhere along the line though. The reason I was saying it was because to me it seemed that it would open up many more possibilities. I reckon their mistake was retelling a story that's been told a million times in a million different contexts, and not giving themselves an escape route in case things went south. They literally trapped themselves on Okoto.

But there's one thing that I'm still having a REALLY hard time grasping, and have done for a long time. Let me express it by quoting our lord and saviour Faber:

Products discontinue ...

Legends survive.

The Bionicle world may have been born through a toy  action figure  constraction figure  Work of Art (just a precaution, you never know who's listening), but it lived on and became a universe through it's stories. Stories are writing. People are acting like Greg would need spend thousands on continuing this story, when in fact all it would take would be some of his time. Ok sure, it's valuable, but he hardly writes a whole novel every time, does he? It's not even a full time job! Imagine if he gathered a few friends, writers and concept artists alike (you don't need thousands to design Bionicle either), and start a project on Kickstarter or Patreon ...

I mean for people like them, is it really that hard? Just sayin', but can anybody come up with a reason why this wouldn't be possible?

Matoro is dead. (Lol)

Okay, I have two major problems with common opinions on this site, especially when we are talking about the cancellation of BIONICLE.

First, stop saying "thank you for these two years, LEGO". There was nothing to thank for. They put no effort into G2 at all, they didn't care about the fans, they made stupid and boring story, and - guess what - it failed. Personally, I lost all faith in LEGO. They are the Corporation of Evil in my eyes now. I call you to stop buying LEGO sets until they return BIONICLE with respect it deserves.

Second, as I see, Greg Farshtey is treated as holy cow. Some even think that he is the only one who can handle the story properly. I disagree. Of course, he wrote all these wonderful books and web serials and made the BIONICLE universe truly deep and complex, I don't deny it. But after the line was cancelled, he started to act wierdly. He canonised a lot of stupid things, and you did nothing to prevent that. In a place I came from, this is called "The Gregus Heresy". Seriusly, stop praising this man. He's not doing any good for the franchise.

• Upvote 1

30o1o1u8K260a3c7.jpg

Okay, I have two major problems with common opinions on this site, especially when we are talking about the cancellation of BIONICLE.

First, stop saying "thank you for these two years, LEGO". There was nothing to thank for. They put no effort into G2 at all, they didn't care about the fans, they made stupid and boring story, and - guess what - it failed. Personally, I lost all faith in LEGO. They are the Corporation of Evil in my eyes now. I call you to stop buying LEGO sets until they return BIONICLE with respect it deserves.

Second, as I see, Greg Farshtey is treated as holy cow. Some even think that he is the only one who can handle the story properly. I disagree. Of course, he wrote all these wonderful books and web serials and made the BIONICLE universe truly deep and complex, I don't deny it. But after the line was cancelled, he started to act wierdly. He canonised a lot of stupid things, and you did nothing to prevent that. In a place I came from, this is called "The Gregus Heresy". Seriusly, stop praising this man. He's not doing any good for the franchise.

How do you have 'problems' with things that are clearly based on opinion? You can't state that G2 had a 'stupid and boring' story as a fact.

Also, the appreciation of G2 in the Bionicle community isn't a direct outcome of Lego's effort. Keep in mind that G2 was obviously aimed at a younger crowd, and it could be viewed as 'boring' by an older audience.

I would post a more detailed response to this, but it's already been done several times.

Edited by Underscore

2xu8Ptu.png

You can't state that G2 had a 'stupid and boring' story as a fact.

I can. Because it had. From the beginning and to the very end. Empty, emotionless and stupid. No deep character development, no interesting story arcs, just a soulles product to make easy money with BIONICLE name.

Also, the appreciation of G2 in the Bionicle community isn't a direct outcome of Lego's effort. Keep in mind that G2 was obviously aimed at a younger crowd, and it could be viewed as 'boring' by an older audience.

You cannot justify an objectively bad product just because it is "aimed on kids". G1 was made for kids as well, remember?

• Upvote 1

30o1o1u8K260a3c7.jpg

no effort

This was addressed like twenty pages ago and it's still wrong.

No effort into marketing, no effort into sets design, no effort into story. Proof me wrong.

Maybe you and everyone else who have made the "no effort" claim should provide proof instead, seeing as you all seem to state it as fact.

• Upvote 4

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

You can't state that G2 had a 'stupid and boring' story as a fact.

I can. Because it had. From the beginning and to the very end. Empty, emotionless and stupid. No deep character development, no interesting story arcs, just a soulles product to make easy money with BIONICLE name.

Some people like G2 and some don't. Some find it interesting, some don't. Some find it stupid, and some don't. One can argue one way or another, but it's not a fact.

You cannot justify an objectively bad product just because it is "aimed on kids". G1 was made for kids as well, remember?

If you take one look at that one G2 book (what was it called again?), it's blatantly obvious that it's aimed at much younger readers than any of the Greg Farshtey books. Add that to the fact that G1 had a 10 year story with many different characters, alternate dimensions, etc. etc. and it's safe to assume that Lego was trying to aim at a younger audience with G2. Also, I'm not quite sure how something can be 'objectively bad', because (in this context) 'bad' is an opinion as well.

No effort into marketing, no effort into sets design, no effort into story. Proof me wrong.

The proof I have that you're wrong is you show no justification for your claim. You can say they put no effort into it, but it won't be credible until you actually prove they didn't.

2xu8Ptu.png

Lots of people enjoyed Bionicle G2 for what it was, and have every right to thank LEGO for creating something that made them happy for two years. Your own bitter opinion is purely subjective and doesn't have any more strength or authority than anybody else's, particularly since I'd wager you've never even met any of these people you're so quick to paint as lazy or evil. All those I've been lucky enough to meet are brilliantly creative and care deeply about their work and what it means to fans. Bionicle G2's failure is unfortunate but that doesn't mean nobody put any care or effort into it or got any enjoyment out of it.

Beyond that, what kind of perverse reasoning and black-and-white thinking does it even take to think mishandling or cancelling a fictional kids' story and its corresponding toyline amounts to Evil with a capital E? If you honestly believe that I think you may need a reality check. The world doesn't revolve around Bionicle, or even around LEGO. It never did. And if this is how G1 Bionicle taught people to see the world, as if any bad news or disappointment must be the work of evil forces, all I can say is… yikes.

I'm certainly not going to stop buying LEGO sets, because Bionicle has never been the only LEGO theme that matters to me, and they continue to create exceptional sets and stories for several other themes I enjoy like Ninjago, Elves, and Nexo Knights. Anyone who doesn't really have any interest in sets besides Bionicle is welcome to stop buying LEGO, because it'd be pretty silly to think you have to buy products you don't care for! You don't owe LEGO your loyalty if you feel that they've let you down or they have nothing to offer you. Even if you have younger friends and relatives to buy birthday gifts for, there's a whole world of other kids' toys and media out there that they might enjoy.

But if you think LEGO will somehow take a serious hit to their profits or reputation as a result, you're mistaken. LEGO has already gone four years without any new Bionicle products between the end of G1 and the start of G2, and their net profits and the size of their fanbase still continued to grow year after year (in fact, their net profits in 2014 were over three times what they were in 2009, and over twenty times what they were in 2002). LEGO certainly cares about their fans, but Bionicle fans are just one small part of a much larger fanbase, and honestly, even if all teenage and adult Bionicle fans stop buying LEGO sets entirely, all that's going to do is convince LEGO to focus their investments on the many kids who have always made up the much more reliable core of their fanbase.

There are plenty of old-school AFOLs who might say G1 Bionicle was an "objectively bad product", and it's just as much of a meaningless oxymoron coming from them as it is coming from you.

It is a fact. An axiom. Just look at G2 and say - honestly - what effort did it took to make something like that? Oh, I know. A lot of effort to make it absolutely terrible on purpose, maby?

Designing any product, no matter what it is or how successful it is, takes infinitely more effort than any sensible person would put into ramblings as feeble and incoherent as yours. Months of design work, engineering, and testing go into every new piece and every new set. Many pieces and sets might go through over a dozen different iterations before they even come close to reaching store shelves. If you had any clue whatsoever about the LEGO design process you'd know this. That's why it's so difficult to become a LEGO set designer, writer, or art director, and so easy to spew hateful and ignorant nonsense on the Internet.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

It is a fact. An axiom.

If you bother to read through the topic, you'll see you're wrong in calling it an axiom.

Just look at G2 and say - honestly - what effort did it took to make something like that? Oh, I know. A lot of effort to make it absolutely terrible on purpose, maby?

Once again,

It's perfectly fine to not like G2 (I don't like it very much either, tbh), but saying it's bad and then not accepting the opinions of others is not. Furthermore, even if you think G2's terrible doesn't mean Lego put no effort into it. They put effort into creating a storyline and sets that would be aesthetically appealing to younger kids. That might not be appealing to you, but it's not supposed to be.

2xu8Ptu.png

Okay, before we start another holy war, i just want all of you to quckly tell, what exacltly did you like about G2 and why? I mean, JtO animation was... not so bad, and some sets like Lewa-2016 and the Protectors were pretty good. But what else? The story is too simple. Characters are walking cliches. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but why do you like it?

30o1o1u8K260a3c7.jpg

As I see, most of you blame me for being one-dimensional, disrespectful to others' opinions and blah blah blah... Well, pehaps, I was too emotional and insulted you somehow. I apologize. In my homeland we have a bit different mentality, and some things that you may find offensive are considered normal in our culture. 

Let's start anew! You tell me, what you like in G2 and why, and I'll try to tell what I dislike and why. We'll have a gentle conversation and respect each other :)

Edited by Martin Luther
  • Upvote 1

30o1o1u8K260a3c7.jpg

I liked the sets because they were objectively the best. Best articulation and more sturdy parts. Bright, vibrant colors like the old days.

I agree that the story wasn't the best, but it had a lot of potential before being shot down. I wanted to find out more about Umarak and the Skull Villains.

The only thing I didn't like was the lack of characterization for a lot of the characters. Even simple traits shown more often would have made it better.

Without Greg continuing the original story, I couldn't stay interested. I bought Onua, but that was it.

I've seen a lot of comments expressing wishes that it were a continuation of the old story, but even Greg himself said years ago that if he were in charge of Bionicle's return he wouldn't do it as a continuation due to what a burden ten years of backstory would be for new fans. It's kind of weird to me that so many people who think the Bionicle story was/would be strongest under his direction aren't prepared to take him at his word on that matter.

It kind of reminds me of how Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd both loved the idea of an all-female Ghostbusters movie and thought the women who were cast were extremely funny and talented, and yet hundreds of Internet dudebros still somehow managed to ramble on and on about how the new Ghostbusters would be lame, unfunny, and disrespectful to the comic genius of the original cast. "Yeah, such-and-such was a brilliant and irreplaceable part of this beloved franchise, but what do they know about what's best for it?"

(Off Topic) Honestly I just really don't like the new Ghostbusters. Leslie Jones is extremely unfunny.

Personally, I liked the idea of a reboot, what with going back to the original tribal setting that made the original 3 years so interesting. But with G2, the world building was just attempted. Sure, we got some locations and flora, but world building took a back seat. I think it would have been nice for Greg Farshety to be even a small part of the reboot. I'm not saying that to be a geewunner(I didn't follow Bionicle at all during G1. I had one or two sets), but if Greg was involved I think it would have had a little more world building done.

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

I liked the sets because they were objectively the best. Best articulation and more sturdy parts. Bright, vibrant colors like the old days.

No one denies that CCBS parts have better quality than old ones. But remember that they were around since 2011. Do you consider Hero Factory sets to be better than old BIONICLE ones? Plus, the quality of pieces is not the main consern. It's how these pieces are used. I don't find the look of the sets good, especially second waves of each year. Toa are fine, their little friends too, but skeletons? Beasts? Come on, you can't deny that they look terrible. I personally know a lot of people who can make much better sets with the same amount of parts.

Colours are bright, yes... But not like in old days. Back then we had like 2-3 main colours in one set at most. And it looked great. And now let's look at Kopaka-2015. White, black, transparent-blue, metallic and gold. It's a mess! Too many colours, they don't match to each other, it's just looks... flashily, over the top. Transparents are everywhere! Old BIONICLE only used it for the eyes, now they make freaking limbs transparent. That's fine for Chima, not BIONICLE. 

I agree that the story wasn't the best, but it had a lot of potential before being shot down. I wanted to find out more about Umarak and the Skull Villains.

You see, people don't like things for what they could be. They like them for what they are. G2 story had potential with all that Wahi and Toa thing, but now we'll newer know what was planned. You can make theories and guesses, but they'll be just yours.

Edited by Martin Luther

30o1o1u8K260a3c7.jpg

Okay, before we start another holy war, i just want all of you to quckly tell, what exacltly did you like about G2 and why? I mean, JtO animation was... not so bad, and some sets like Lewa-2016 and the Protectors were pretty good. But what else? The story is too simple. Characters are walking cliches. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but why do you like it?

The sets brought together many of what I thought were the coolest features of Bionicle G1 sets over the years, along with new features I greatly enjoyed. The first wave of Toa in particular had gear functions and pop-off masks like the Toa Mata, dual-function weapons like the Toa Nuva, "energized" transparent limbs and 13 points of articulation like the Toa Inika, and diverse builds like the Toa Mahri. They also generally had higher piece counts than any previous Toa and used the CCBS, which I've loved for its style and versatility since it was first introduced in 2011.

The Protectors likewise had more articulation, more varied builds, and higher piece counts than any previous series of Bionicle villagers (even if you deduct each one's twelve ammo pieces), along with a new launcher that was more compact and easier to customize than any launcher before it, and which didn't even need specialized ammo. The villain designs that year were not as strong as the hero designs, in my opinion, but introduced some entirely new functions for Bionicle (in particular I loved Skull Basher's bashing function, which was reminiscent of the Rahkshi and Vahki functions but with more attack options and fewer specialized pieces).

I was not as fond of this year's Toa in terms of aesthetics or functions as last year's, but I loved the concept. I've been wanting a team of constraction heroes with their own animal companions for many years, and this year's Toa and elemental creatures finally delivered that. I thought the use of elemental energy crystals as a unifying motif for the new masks, armor, and weapons was brilliant, and felt a lot more mystical than many previous Bionicle character upgrades like the fleshy-looking masks of the Toa Nuva or the scuba gear of the Toa Mahri. The new masks were easily recognizable as the characters, but brought in other new cues from classic Bionicle like the Nuva symbols.

The elemental creatures, like the Protectors before them, had far more pieces than typical previous sets their size, along with creative designs and clever action features using great new gear pieces. The elemental beasts, by contrast, did a great job feeling less like embodiments of nature and more like freaks of nature, with ungainly, monstrous proportions. They carried on the elemental crystal motif in a more chaotic form, really reinforcing that they were made of the island's own elements turned against it. I loved both versions of Umarak, especially the sort of Ganondorf/Ganon dichotomy they had going on. Again, it was a very nicely handled transformation.

In terms of story, I loved that the story emphasized some of the most timeless plot elements of the classic story: an elemental world with elemental inhabitants, a mysterious island setting, elemental powers, mystical prophecies, a feud between two brothers, an ancient cataclysm, quests for magical masks, and a powerful evil seeking to control and corrupt the island and its inhabitants. I also liked that the Toa were a little goofier than their previous incarnations, and had more human character flaws besides just not getting along. I'm sad that we didn't get to experience more stories exploring those flaws and how they would learn to respect and appreciate each other's differences. The story generally did a good job maintaining a mythic fantasy tone rather than feeling like straight sci-fi.

Artistically, I loved the scenic backdrops of Okoto as portrayed by the box art, webisodes, graphic novels, and Netflix series. I also really enjoyed the episodic, cartoon style of the webisodes (though some of the liberties taken with the characters bugged me, namely Onua's height — I preferred his shorter stature in the sets). The Journey to One also had a pretty cool style for its characters that helped tone down some of their weaknesses in the sets (like the disproportionately long torsos on this year's Toa), and I have a Journey to One still featuring Gali and Akida as my desktop background.

And of course, in G2 we got a LOT of "behind-the-scenes" glimpses, which is the sort of thing that has always fascinated me. LEGO.com/Bionicle, LEGO.com/Club, and the LEGO Bionicle Facebook page shared lots of neat designer videos, interviews, and concept art. Even Bionicle MOCs created by LEGO designers were often shared as inspiration. The creators of the sets, the books, and The Journey to One even sat down for interviews with Bionicle fansites. That sort of openness is a lot rarer in many of the other LEGO themes I enjoy, like Ninjago, Nexo Knights, and Elves (you can get in touch with some of the creators of some of these themes on social media if you know their names, and some of the creators have made appearances at conventions, but the brands' own sites and social media profiles don't present so many behind-the-scenes insights).

As for things that stood out to me more negatively? Well, none of the G2 music really stood out as very distinctive, memorable, or iconic to me. The voice acting in The Journey to One was pretty weak, and there was never any sort of online or mobile game that felt really immersive or offered the sort of adventure or puzzle gameplay I tend to enjoy. The 2016 version of the website felt like a considerable downgrade from the 2015 version, losing a fair amount of supplementary info on the island and characters (though some of those sorts of details were later filled in with the new story section). I have plenty of nitpicks with individual sets, too. But my overall experience as a fan of Bionicle G2 was very positive.

Obviously, I understand that many people had different expectations, and they have every right to feel disappointed. But I feel like insulting the people who created Bionicle G2 and saying they didn't care or didn't try is going too far.

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

My main takeaway from this is that a good story is required to sell toy products. A lot of my friends stopped purchasing G2 sets after the first wave because they didn't have any connection to the new characters, and I feel like this happened to many other buyers as well, as proven by the poor sales. What a shame.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Wow! Everyone is shocked and hysterical about Bionicle G2's cancellation. On July 29, I woke up to see this news. I felt shocked and very depressed about this. Bionicle even got cancelled on its 15th anniversary/birthday.:o It's like The Amazing Spider-Man movies in 2012 and 2014 all over again: a reboot that got cancelled earlier than the original thing. Bionicle G2's cancellation is totally unbelievable, unpredictable, and very disappointing.

I expected a third planned year, but it will never happen.

G2 has such a short life, five times shorter than G1. It's like this:

G1- Late 2001 - Early 2010

G2- 2015-2016

I miss G2 now. It may not be as good as G1 (G1 is better), but G2 is good and I was glad that Bionicle came back. It feels unfair that we just got it back last year. It was great to a lot of nostalgia.

The fact that The Journey to One series has ended is very sad, too. I like that show. I even watched all episodes. As I said, too bad that it ended, but it does have good ratings and four stars, according to Netflix.

Bionicle G2 was doing well because of the sets, their gear functions being mixed with CCBS, the Unity thing with the Toa Uniters and their Elemental Creatures, and TJtO. The story is simple for younger fans since it is a hard reboot. And then G2 got cancelled for some reason, despite these good things. I don't know why, but I believe it could be bad sales, G2's story wasn't as shops as G1's, and/or the Lego focuses on other big themes this year, like Nexo Knoghts, Ninjago, DC Comics, Marvel, and Star Wars. Probably Lego has a lot of things in its hands, so it probably couldn't handle all of these things in one year.

Bionicle G2's cancellation really broken my heart, and I cried in tears about it. RIP, Bionicle.:( It had a good run, anyway. Let's hope that Bionicle will come back in at least 2018, whether it would be a continuation of G2 by pulling a Ninjago, a continuation of G1, or probably G3, which would be as good as or better than G1 this time. Bionicle will never die in our hearts. Long live it, too.:( (crying in tears of sadness)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)