Cordak Blasters: Setting The Record Straight

Timageness

Ever since I joined BZPower back in August 2014, I've occasionally come across some complaints suggesting that the Mahri Cordak Blasters weren't as popular as some of the other constraction-based weaponry included inside the packaging of the original G1 sets, which have likely been around since they originally came out back in 2007. While I do, in fact, find that some of these are quite valid (such as the spring rusting due to contact with water, a feature also shared by the Midak Skyblaster, I might add), and agree that everyone should be entitled to their own personal opinion on the issue, the chief reason why it seems to attract so much ire seems to be centered around the fact that most people can't get it to reliably fire off its ammo properly, which is something that I've actually stopped having a problem with about a month or two after receiving my first one.

Included below are the steps that I've found to be the most effective way to help solve this issue, in an effort to potentially remove some of the stigma from what I actually view as a pretty cool weapon.

1. Check the Ammo - Some of the misfires I've actually had were due to the ammunition becoming slightly bent in storage, which causes it to catch on the inside of the barrel when shot. Simply bending them back into place should fix the issue, provided they aren't warped beyond all recognition.

2. Check the Barrels - Another common cause of misfires is due to a dusty barrel. In some cases, simply blowing it out will work, but if it's really caked in there, try using a toothpick coated in a thin layer of cloth or dry toilet paper.

3. Insert the Ammo - Grooves should be facing the inside, towards the rotation pin, for less friction upon expulsion, though I've actually found this to be an optional step at times.

4. Fire - This is actually the most important step I've discovered so far, and, contrary to popular belief, is surprisingly easy to mess up. Despite what the blaster is supposed to represent in the story, rapidly pressing on the pump is the chief reason behind the majority of misfires, as doing so doesn't give the air inside the weapon enough time to circulate, resulting in a decrease in pressure behind the rocket you're intending to launch from the barrel. The trick here is to think of it more as a revolver or a shotgun in practice instead of trapping yourself in the minigun mindset, and keeping a mental count is what I've found to be most effective at resolving the issue. Reciting one-one-thousand (or Mississippi) while quickly pressing on the pump in the time it takes for me to say "one" and slowly releasing my hold on it during the "one-thousand" part usually results with me expending all six rounds with little to no trouble, provided that I don't run into one of the other three issues above, and I've personally had about a 90 - 95% success rate using this method.

Hopefully, what I've included here will be of some use to those of you who are willing to take the time to give it a second chance, and maybe bring back some enjoyment while using it.

Cheers!

• Upvote 3

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I'm pretty sure squid launchers are the go-to "hated shooting function" of G1. Thing is, I loved both the squids and the Cordaks. Never misfired for me, don't know why. Plus, they're still better than the thornax, which are basically not-as-effective disks. 

Freaking Rhotuka, on the other hand.... <_<

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

For the record, I like the Cordak blaster, even if it misfires. Never knew abit the ammo trick. Still, I rarely used them because my room was (is) a mess and I lost a lot over the years.

My main problem with it was that the axle connection was too wide, so they would slide right of the hands. It happened especially with Kongu, but I guees it was just bad luck.

I've never had too much trouble with the Cordaks after they came out.  They were too clunky for me to really like them, but at least they consistently worked.

Now if someone can write a Complete Guide to Figuring Out Your Squid Launcher, I'd be set.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

man the cordak blaster is, to this day, the bane of m existence, 207 was apparently the year of "make launchers that are good in theory but then muck up execution", I learned about the groove tricks early 2009, about when i learned how they fixed this sorta thing with the nynrah ghostblaster, but those tiny missiles are still kinda a pain to use,

plus the launcher itself. big, chunky, has that gross ball needlessly protruding in an attempt to lower the parts count of sets but all it really does is break off which makes the launcher basically useless cuz broken pieces are frowned on by the community....

yeah. i kinda had issues with them, even after i learned to fire them (and squids) right. :0

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Now if someone can write a Complete Guide to Figuring Out Your Squid Launcher, I'd be set.

step 1: actually fire it correctly you scrub

there is no step 2

Jokes aside, while the Cordak Blasters looked cool and had a neat idea and design, I think their big problem comes from just how unwieldy they are.  They look massive on anything smaller than a titan, they're heavy, and firing them is a bit of a chore, especially when attached to a figure.  There's also the fact that they need a sharp jab to even have a chance of firing them while most other launchers don't, which can be bothersome if they're attached to a set.

Most launchers had their own sets of problems, but for Cordak Blasters I think the issue is that it's so big and that it's just too reliant on a "perfect shot"—good barrel seal, forceful push, low friction, etc.—to be consistently effective.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I've never had too much trouble with the Cordaks after they came out.  They were too clunky for me to really like them, but at least they consistently worked.

1. Hold Launcher in non-dominant hand.
  2. Insert head of squid into receptacle so that eyes are horizontal, tail faces upwards and two tentacles face forward.
  3. Secure firm grip on flat section of tail with dominant hand.
  4. Pay penance to the Great Spirit Mata-Nui and Repent for your sins.
  5. Pray, enthusiastically, that the tail will remain attached to rest of squid.
  6. Pull tail backwards, so that body of squid bends to fit the form of the launcher's top surface. Perform this manoeuvre with as much force as possible without damaging squid.
  7. Upon performing step 6, do not dally, release squid swiftly. 

Alternative method:

1. git gud son

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon
  • Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

The Cordak Blasters' tendency to misfire actually is partly due to a minor design flaw LEGO quickly became aware of, and took steps to correct for in the final design of the Nynrah Ghost Blasters. Namely, too much friction between the "ribs" of the ammo piece and the walls of the chamber. Former LEGO designer David Bird mentioned it here.

So while some people might be less prone to misfires than others, it's not strictly a matter of what care you take during and prior to firing.

Edited by Aanchir

Huh. Well, at least I now know why I keep losing my Ghost missles...

Still, depending on how fast you end up pressing in the pump, you can generate enough air pressure to effectively cancel out said friction in some cases while others may involve a slight application of sandpaper/nail file or enough time to pass for the secondary sets of nubs to simply wear themselves down on their own, depending on your own personal preference. As for comments concerning the cosmetic design of the blaster itself, these points are also perfectly understandable and valid depending on your point of view, though that's an issue which would require modifying the part itself to change, hence the lack of its inclusion within the original post.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.