What would you like G3 to be about?

I've had quite a few ideas for what my own attempt at making a Bionicle storyline would turn out like, but in terms of story, I'd make everything about Takua and his Chronicler's Company's journey across the island of Okoto.  The villager sets would be small and cheap enough for impulse buying, and their characters would give more creative freedom than the old Toa Mata team all over again (who in this story would only be cameos until the endgame hits).

The backstory would be like a combination of G1 and G2's legens, with the Okotoans having been brought to the island from the heavens by the Great Beings, with two gods, Great Makuta and Wise Ekimu, sent to watch over them- Ekimu and his circle of elders would guide the villagers, and Makuta and his brotherhood of knights would protect them.  A century before the present day, however, Makuta and most of his brotherhood would go rogue, plunging the island into a civil war that would only end with their banishment from what would become Ekimu's kingdom into the Southern Wastes.  Those hundred years would pass, and strange beasts would begin laying siege to the kingdom, prompting newly-minted Chronicler Takua to journey across the land to discover their origin, gathering friends as he did so.

Some interesting notes about this setting- like I said, the Toa Mata would be mostly background characters at first, with each being lord-protector over one of the six villages in Ekimu's Kingdom.  Every important character would have some sort of title, like Master Kopaka or Warlord Kulta or Almighty Icarax.  Just to mess with fans of older generations, Great Makuta would show up in the background of a flashback to the war or two, but probably not be referred to by name at first, and for the most part it would originally seem like the original lead knight of the Brotherhood, Mighty Teridax, would be in charge of the civilization in the Southern Wastes, only for him to suddenly mention a master at one point, and then suddenly Makuta is a thing.  The prerequisite origins twist would be that all the villagers, even Makuta and Ekimu, were once drones on a ship the Great Beings were going to use to terraform and colonize a new planet with, only for a crash landing to kill the ship's crew aside from the drones, who would eventually achieve sentience; the ship would eventually sink into the ocean and be regarded as a holy place that not even Makuta would dare to disturb, with no one aware of their origins there.

I'm not even going to bother thinking up what I would want Gen3 to be, because quite frankly, this is just too awesome. The origins twist is especially awesome. It's the same as Gen 1, yet different.

I am also a fan of Bionicles IN SPACE!. The bad guys could be black, white, and trans neon green! (Or black, yellow, and trans yellow/red. Or both. You get where I am going... On that logic, the heroes could all have subtle colour schemes of other Space themes, IE, Water is blue with light grey and trans yellow highlights (Like the mask?))

Toa Han

My Flickr. Old Bionicles on Brickshelf

small_logo.png

My idea is more along the lines of a branch off line.

Basically it be a supporting line to a future G3.

It follows the villagers and there adventures as they fight monsters and defend there homes. They be mostly small sets like the Protectors were.

They could then end the line with a powerful evil to great for them to defeat. So they summon ancient heros who saved them once before.

Begin Bionicle G3.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Also, another idea:  if and when there was a Gen3, would you like humans to be involved in the story?  Maybe the Toa and Matoran are robots created by human scientists, maybe Makuta is a powerful virus that's gone out of control.

Thoughts?

OH DEAR LORD PLEASE NO

...ahem

I mean, I wouldn't be too happy about such a turn.

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

A G2 continuation. Makuta escapes the shadow realm and the Toa are summoned again to fight him and his army of shadow. Meanwhile, a small villager travels through the island finding the elemental creatures and collecting the lost Mask of Creation to eventually become the 7th Toa.

I'd love for G3 to be what I though G2 was going to be: a spiritual successor to G1, taking the tone and core elements of Bionicle but actually being a new story, and using a different real-world ancient culture as visual inspiration (switching Oceanic for Mesoamerican, based on the first images that leaked of G2). As great as a continuation of G1 would be, a new universe to explore would be more viable for LEGO and just as much fun for old and new fans. For me, the best thing about early Bionicle, that got me hooked on the rest of the story, was the mystery aspect, of having to learn with the characters what this world actually was, and how it functioned, and I think applying that 'unravelling' approach to a new story would be great. What if a new MNOG-style story introduced us to G3, but the POV protagonist was actually, we later learned, a G1 character who had lost their memories?

I saw someone mention Beast Wars: what's to say the G3 Toa couldn't be Rahi-based rather than element-based? Could be an interest twist on the format. Hero Factory tried it (I didn't follow it much so I don't know how successful it was) and so has Power Rangers, several times, so why not Bionicle? It'd be easy to attach the characteristics previously attributed to the six primary elements to six different Rahi totems for the Toa to draw their power from, and could make for some awesome sets.

Also: multiverse. Just saying. The idea was loosely introduced in G1, and I'd for love G3 to include a hint, subtle or otherwise, that it was canonically possible for the two stories to interact. Even if it never happened officially, confirming the possibility would be enough for me.

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

As someone who has spent countless hours trying to feasibly merge the plots of both G1 and G2 for MoCing backstory purposes, I actually wholeheartedly support the idea that the next generation of Bionicle should be Lego's attempt at Beast Wars in the event that one happens to materialise, but not for the reasons one might imagine.

Honestly, in my opinion, the best thing about Beast Wars (and Beast Machines, I might add) was that there was an already established universe where ideas could've been easily pulled from, but it rarely ever ended up happening. Sure, there was still an Optimus and a Megatron (though not the original versions of those two characters - they'd have their moment later on in the first series), and Starscream's spark even showed up in one episode to possess a bunch of people (which, now that I think about it, makes absolutely no sense, considering they accidentally ended up time traveling to the "prehistoric era" when they originally crashed, placing the events of the first series before those that ultimately lead up to his demise), but for the most part, everything about it was new and exciting because it didn't rely on the fans having any knowledge of the previous stories for them to enjoy it. While that was still probably a little sad for older fans of the series to swallow in general, due to the distinct lack of some of their favorite characters, however, it's pretty much undeniably part of the reason why it had so much success in the first place. Another good example of this is The Legend of Korra; sure, there were still a few more stories to tell centered around the original Team Avatar from The Last Airbender, but had they been inserted into the original series as a fourth season, there would've been a lot more skipping around as far as the timeline was concerned, and it probably would've ruined both the flow of the series and the impact of the final confrontation with the Fire Lord. Thankfully, that didn't happen, and instead, there were a few cameos and enough references to establish how the second series was supposed to feel like; a passing of the torch.

Basically what I'm getting at, I suppose, is that while G1 (and, depending on whether you liked it or not, G2 - which I personally did, by the way, even though it lacked a bit in the story department) will always be there for us to look back on, a potential Bionicle G3 could possibly benefit by not relying on pre-established concepts and characters too much, whether it be a reboot or any form of continuation. From a basic standpoint, the series in general has always been centered around a pretty simple equation; a team of six elemental heroes fighting off whatever happens to be threatening the current setting that week. The six presented don't always have to be the original Toa Mata (a fact which G1 itself proved twice, and in which the Glatorian waves pretty much ignored the concept of Toa altogether), the villain doesn't always need to be a varient of Makuta (species or otherwise), and the setting can be pretty much wherever so long as it still provides a similar balance between the fantastical, technological, and cultural aspects present in previous iterations of the line. Honestly, if G3 consisted of six entirely new heroes (each possessing one of the less frequent elements showcased back in G1) that were summoned to some sort of Shadowrun-esque, cyber-punk Xia clone where a previous team had mucked things up so badly that they made everything worse (or even succeeded, only to take the place over themselves and became the villains, reasoning that they were superior beings or something, soley because they possessed the powers of the "legendary six"), and the first wave consisted of them soley fighting their way through a legion of some type of Vahki-Baterra hybrid bots that were oppressing the inhabitants, I'd probably still buy it. Who knows? With some proper time and effort put into the story, it might actually even be good.

Either way, I've rambled on long enough, so I'll take a break while someone else takes the opportunity to voice their own opinions and wrap up on one final note; throwing humans into the mix sort of killed off some of the magic for me when it was done in Hero Factory, and I'd rather not see that happen again in another constraction line, be it Bionicle or otherwise.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I feel like G3 will have to include more System elements.  I'm not sure there's a modern market for a purely constraction line, so I have a suspicion that the playsets will make their reappearance.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

A far away civilization city is in danger after a series of attacks. Some believe in a folk tale that the planet might be cursed. 6 individually talented people who posess technological augmentation implants which has become a thing after a science project was reactivated with success.

But people think the augmentation succes is from a forbidden experiment. It has rumors that the success came from technology believed to have been found next to a magic shrine which contains masks of powers, 6 unique elemental energy stones and unique weapons believed to have been destined to be wielded by the right finder.(no one else has ever managed to open the shrine or move it.)

Their duty is to use their new power and save their home from danger, solve the clues about the mysterious curse, find answers about a a lost world left behind by a extinct but very advanced civilization which believes in witchcraft and technology.

everyone is uncertain about the truth but they are not alone, other worlds might be in danger and must join strengths together.
Bionicle= Solve the mystery and restore balance between the universes.

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

One thing I always kinda wanted was for all the Toa to be solo.

The boxes always showed them alone and it always struck me that they were mysterious, stand-alone vigilantes like Batman. So, at least once I would like to see the six heroes not work together, or even know each other at all.

Already happened once, each of the toa mata thought they were alone for a while until the turaga told found them and told them the truth and empathised how important the unity was.

They did not even know other toa names or even even Tahu did not know his name until vakama reminded him about the legend of the 6 toa

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

The boxes always showed them alone and it always struck me that they were mysterious, stand-alone vigilantes like Batman. So, at least once I would like to see the six heroes not work together, or even know each other at all.

Already happened once, each of the toa mata thought they were alone flr a while until the turaga told them truth and empathised how important the unity was.

They did not even know ither toa names or even even Tahu did not know his name until vakama reminded him about the legend of the 6 toa

Well yeah, but that was temporary. I'd like a team that stays solo for the whole year's story.

And since you brought up Unity, maybe a vigilante set of Toa could also bring a new set of virtues. Truth, Strength, and Justice?

Already happened once, each of the toa mata thought they were alone flr a while until the turaga told them truth and empathised how important the unity was.

They did not even know ither toa names or even even Tahu did not know his name until vakama reminded him about the legend of the 6 toa

Well yeah, but that was temporary. I'd like a team that stays solo for the whole year's story.

And since you brought up Unity, maybe a vigilante set of Toa could also bring a new set of virtues. Truth, Strength, and Justice?

Well

Unity, Dutiy, Destiny

Are core concepts in Bionicle to change them would be to change the very core of Bionicle.

The story, plot, characters, motives, setting can all be different but these three words must always be carried thorough.

That could actually prove to be quite interesting; the story could follow one Toa while they did their thing, throw them into a situation where they bumped into someone else for a few minutes, and then eventually they split back up again, only for the point of view to then switch to the other Toa. For something like that to work for an entire arc, however, there would likely need to be multiple main villain characters instead of having just one with some underlings, but still, that would be pretty cool to see.

As for the virtues, though, maybe it should be taken a step further by giving each Toa their own unique set. That way, the differences in opinion could provide the necessary conflict amongst them required to keep them apart, and ensures that the eventual inevitable team-up doesn't occur until at least the following year. You know, actually establish the characters first before going all Justice League or Avengers on us.

Edit: As for the original Three Virtues, they could still be used for the plot as a whole, but giving the heroes different backstories would provide some much needed flavor to their background and history, besides the whole "we just washed up here, so here we are to save the day, I guess" sort of thing.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

That could actually prove to be quite interesting; the story could follow one Toa while they did their thing, throw them into a situation where they bumped into someone else for a few minutes, and then eventually they split back up again, only for the point of view to then switch to the other Toa. For something like that to work for an entire arc, however, there would likely need to be multiple main villain characters instead of having just one with some underlings, but still, that would be pretty cool to see.

As for the virtues, though, maybe it should be taken a step further by giving each Toa their own unique set. That way, the differences in opinion could provide the necessary conflict amongst them required to keep them apart, and ensures that the eventual inevitable team-up doesn't occur until at least the following year. You know, actually establish the characters first before going all Justice League or Avengers on us.

Edit: As for the original Three Virtues, they could still be used for the plot as a whole, but giving the heroes different backstories would provide some much needed flavor to their background and history, besides the whole "we just washed up here, so here we are to save the day, I guess" sort of thing.

Yeah, I like that. Each has a different way of doing things so they can't work together and maybe they even fight once in a while.

As for the villain thing, I thought that was the one thing Hero Factory did really well. Creating six unique guys shouldn't be hard for Lego.

Well

Unity, Dutiy, Destiny

Are core concepts in Bionicle to change them would be to change the very core of Bionicle.

The story, plot, characters, motives, setting can all be different but these three words must always be carried thorough.

No, they do not.
Explain.

Do you no longer want the original virtures, because I like the idea of each Toa having there own set of values. But I think when they meet they realised there different set of virtures are all based off of the original three.

Kinda giving us a "we are more alike than we are different" moral to the story.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Well

Unity, Dutiy, Destiny

No, they do not.
Explain.

Do you no longer want the original virtures, because I like the idea of each Toa having there own set of values. But I think when they meet they realised there different set of virtures are all based off of the original three.

Eh, that's kinda always been the thing. And as I said I'd rather not have them meet at all

LEGO could try something new again. BIONICLE was pure inspiration from the muses (really- if you look up how it all came to be, the story is phenomenal). Lightning can strike more than once, but it's unlikely that it always has the same effect.

Let the muse come to them, and put BIONICLE to rest: it served its purpose, saving LEGO. Maybe it's time to move on and try something different and new. After this last G2, I don't know if you can catch lightning in the same bottle twice. Get a new bottle, and create a new legend instead...

Edited by Takametru007

Well

Unity, Dutiy, Destiny

No, they do not.
Explain.

The three virtues weren't even introduced until three years into the original line. I always thought they were a little awkward, personally, and didn't make all that much sense. 

• 1 year later...

I've had quite a few ideas for what my own attempt at making a Bionicle storyline would turn out like, but in terms of story, I'd make everything about Takua and his Chronicler's Company's journey across the island of Okoto.  The villager sets would be small and cheap enough for impulse buying, and their characters would give more creative freedom than the old Toa Mata team all over again (who in this story would only be cameos until the endgame hits).

The backstory would be like a combination of G1 and G2's legens, with the Okotoans having been brought to the island from the heavens by the Great Beings, with two gods, Great Makuta and Wise Ekimu, sent to watch over them- Ekimu and his circle of elders would guide the villagers, and Makuta and his brotherhood of knights would protect them.  A century before the present day, however, Makuta and most of his brotherhood would go rogue, plunging the island into a civil war that would only end with their banishment from what would become Ekimu's kingdom into the Southern Wastes.  Those hundred years would pass, and strange beasts would begin laying siege to the kingdom, prompting newly-minted Chronicler Takua to journey across the land to discover their origin, gathering friends as he did so.

Some interesting notes about this setting- like I said, the Toa Mata would be mostly background characters at first, with each being lord-protector over one of the six villages in Ekimu's Kingdom.  Every important character would have some sort of title, like Master Kopaka or Warlord Kulta or Almighty Icarax.  Just to mess with fans of older generations, Great Makuta would show up in the background of a flashback to the war or two, but probably not be referred to by name at first, and for the most part it would originally seem like the original lead knight of the Brotherhood, Mighty Teridax, would be in charge of the civilization in the Southern Wastes, only for him to suddenly mention a master at one point, and then suddenly Makuta is a thing.  The prerequisite origins twist would be that all the villagers, even Makuta and Ekimu, were once drones on a ship the Great Beings were going to use to terraform and colonize a new planet with, only for a crash landing to kill the ship's crew aside from the drones, who would eventually achieve sentience; the ship would eventually sink into the ocean and be regarded as a holy place that not even Makuta would dare to disturb, with no one aware of their origins there.

I'm not even going to bother thinking up what I would want Gen3 to be, because quite frankly, this is just too awesome. The origins twist is especially awesome. It's the same as Gen 1, yet different.

I am also a fan of Bionicles IN SPACE!. The bad guys could be black, white, and trans neon green! (Or black, yellow, and trans yellow/red. Or both. You get where I am going... On that logic, the heroes could all have subtle colour schemes of other Space themes, IE, Water is blue with light grey and trans yellow highlights (Like the mask?))

Toa Han

I'm really fascinated by the thought of the next bionicle happening in space. Think about it, hundreds of different planets, an mysterious figure bent on conquering the galaxy, hunters operate in the shadows of space. Every planet could have a hero we could divide the elements into a separate planet, and leave a couple to be "battlegrounds in sense".

Hello there.

holy necrobump

...but while i'm here i might as well pitch in my thoughts :U

i think it'd be cool to revise the main elements a bit - condense Stone into Earth, maybe combine Fire and Ice into Heat (still fire focused, but capable of using ice through removal of Heat like the time Vakama absorbed a bunch of it), and i think Air and Water are fine.. now imagine adding an Electric toa/koro (but still more of a tribal version rather than, say, Le-Metru) and possibly another element. I really think G2's mix of poseability and play function in the likes of the Toa and Creatures were really great, i think if we had another collectible as well (maybe not kanohi again though) [and in boxes, not polybags! people buying more = more profit right?] we'd pretty much be covered, as long as the villains (or whatever other group of sets we get) also have a play function to complement the toa's - see Toa Mata and Rahi vs G2 Toa and Skull gang.

as far as how the story's handled, i may be genwunning here, but i'd really like to see it have an air of mystery about it, something to keep the community active and postulating. hopefully a plotline that's planned out in advance a bit, so things work out and connect well and we don't need a guy to retcon and decanonize things and ugh. also, let's not bring back old characters okay?

i'd also *really* like to see the multimedia approach of gen1 brought back in some form. sure, G2 had a couple games, some Rock Raiders-esque booklet comics, but none of them really added anything to the story.. really, the only sources of story was through the animations (later Netflix show) and the graphic novels. With how much the fanbase seems to love MNOG, wouldn't it be a pretty safe move to release another adventure game like that? another source of information for people to soak in, another outlet for people to explore and maybe find secrets and share information about. and ultimately, as long as the sets are *good*, people are going to buy them regardless of if it has *teh rich lore*. i knew a few kids who bought/got the Piraka and other sets around that time simply because they looked cool.

anywho, that's my three cents on where i'd personally like another bionicle reboot to go

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

holy necrobump

...but while i'm here i might as well pitch in my thoughts :U

i think it'd be cool to revise the main elements a bit - condense Stone into Earth, maybe combine Fire and Ice into Heat (still fire focused, but capable of using ice through removal of Heat like the time Vakama absorbed a bunch of it), and i think Air and Water are fine.. now imagine adding an Electric toa/koro (but still more of a tribal version rather than, say, Le-Metru) and possibly another element. I really think G2's mix of poseability and play function in the likes of the Toa and Creatures were really great, i think if we had another collectible as well (maybe not kanohi again though) [and in boxes, not polybags! people buying more = more profit right?] we'd pretty much be covered, as long as the villains (or whatever other group of sets we get) also have a play function to complement the toa's - see Toa Mata and Rahi vs G2 Toa and Skull gang.

as far as how the story's handled, i may be genwunning here, but i'd really like to see it have an air of mystery about it, something to keep the community active and postulating. hopefully a plotline that's planned out in advance a bit, so things work out and connect well and we don't need a guy to retcon and decanonize things and ugh. also, let's not bring back old characters okay?

i'd also *really* like to see the multimedia approach of gen1 brought back in some form. sure, G2 had a couple games, some Rock Raiders-esque booklet comics, but none of them really added anything to the story.. really, the only sources of story was through the animations (later Netflix show) and the graphic novels. With how much the fanbase seems to love MNOG, wouldn't it be a pretty safe move to release another adventure game like that? another source of information for people to soak in, another outlet for people to explore and maybe find secrets and share information about. and ultimately, as long as the sets are *good*, people are going to buy them regardless of if it has *teh rich lore*. i knew a few kids who bought/got the Piraka and other sets around that time simply because they looked cool.

anywho, that's my three cents on where i'd personally like another bionicle reboot to go

I can see lightning characters living on a rocky plateau that has a constant thunderstorm going.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClo2J14RKmVtcnoJTv7g6PA , Bionicle films coming soon!