Why Bionicle can`t and never should Return.

Put the  touch and pitch forks down please don`t get crazy just yet let me explain . 

My friends  I know this is a sad time for  bionicle,  with it being canceled after being given new life it seems all hope is lost. But I am here to tell you that it is not. How so you may  ask. Because  Bionicle never died in the first place  It has lived on  unlike any lego line before or since it  or even toy lines in general .

Bionicle is the only  lego line that I know of that the fan community  still is alive and active  and still makes  use of the  story and  characters in the line from youtube videos to fan fictions in such high numbers . Other great lines have  fallen to the way side  but no not Bionicle. It has succeeded where the likes of Exo-Force, mars mission, alpha team, rock raiders , and countless others have failed. Because of its rich story and unforgettable characters . Its taught many of us,  many things like team work, the value  of  knowing who you are, to protect those that are weaker then yourself, and many other lessons. While also growing our bonds together over a mutual love of the line .

Bionicle  pulled Lego back from the brink of  bankruptcy  and  along with Lego star wars saved  the company and even great then that it sparked the creativity of thousands of children  myself included (and personally it was a major reason for my now love of writing .) Greg did something  that could never be repeated with bionicle and that brings me to the  reason for the title of this  thread. 

The Bionicle that we  grew up with  can never happen again and it didn't with gen 2 because  it is impossible to recreate the mystery of the  bionicle series  with out destroying the heart of what  Bionicle was. That is the main reason why  Gen 2 failed  because it was attempting to live up to  what gen 1 was and that`s  impossible , that and  many other things  like a weak start to gen 2 was what eventually spelled its demise .

But My friends this is where  it comes back around to the fact that not all hope is lost . Because  Bionicle  never ended with spheres magna  and  it wont end now  with  gen 2`s cancellation because we are still here and fan fictions and  mocs and  all kinds of imagination is being used to keep  bionicle alive. Bionicle wont die as long as we don`t let it  because Bionicle isn`t just a lego  Line any more its a part of us  it grew along side us and we grew with it .

So my friends  keep building the mocs keep writing the fan fictions  keep  keeping bionicle alive .

My rant is over I would love to hear your input and  how about we just hare some fond memories that we have had with  Bionicle over the years in this thread I`ll start.

One of my most fond memories of Bionicle  came  at a very bad  time . I was horribly sick with some kind of virus that had me having a bad fever and throwing up a lot but  just as I was at my sickest a package  arrived at my door   . In this package  was Takanua and his  hover bike ( i forget the name of it ) as well as the Makuta set . At first i was sad because I couln`t jump up and put the sets together but as the day went on I began to feel a bit better until I eventually  felt well enough to sit up and crack open the box for takanuva and I began putting it together. it was a great time and I to this day count that set as one of my favorites . 

Another great memory was in a very cold winter  Me and my mother stopped at a local dollar general and i was scrolling through the toy isle when a canisty caught my eye it was none other then the  canisters for the toa nuva   them selves  (odd because this was at east  4 or 5 years after the toa nuva were taken off shelves ) I then begged my mother to buy a few of them and the rest I bought my self after scrounging around and doing fire wood work  all accept one Tahu The toa nuva of fire . That was the only one that never showed up in the store but a good friend came through and  gave me the one he had a couple of years later  and completed my set and i still have those sets  to this day and they have remained together longer than any other set I own . 

The final memory i will recount to you is my first experience with Bionicle in general  I was at the mall with my mother and grand mother  and my mother went to a salon while my grand mother took me to  a toy store in the mall . So i go right to the lego isle  and i see this odd little canister . Little 8 year old me had never seen a lego set like this so i look at it  and ask my grandmother to get it for me  (it was a rarity that this happened but you know  how loving grandmothers are) and she bought it for me ) Once she bought it  I couldn't wait to get home and build this  strange new lego set that i had never seen before. Once home I rush into the living room and pour the pieces out on the floor and marvel at these odd pieces with these weird ball and socket joints and these strange pins  and axels . I flip throught he instruction booklet and put the pieces together and ecstatically run to show my mom (little did i know at the time  but i had put the  mask on wrong. Only latter did i find out he was one of six  characters called toa  and that a world much bigger than any i had ever seen before opened up to me This set . My first Bionicle was  Toa  Hordika  Vakama and soon after that i saved up and eventually bought two more . but I was at a loss to get the last six that i needed  Until christmas morning  I rip open a present and there they are  the last three I needed . I was ecstatic  I had a complete set . 

And thous are my major memories with  Bionicle  please tell me yours and lets show our love for Bionicle.  I leave you with one last a quote from Turaga  Vakama himself. 

"It was in those days I discovered our destinies are not written in stone. We have to find them for ourselves. I found mine. Now it's time for you to make new legends. For that is the way of the Bionicle."-Turaga Vakama - Bionicle Web of Shadows

• Upvote 5

Bionicle can only stay alive if we, as a community, continue to stay alive.  From my first set—a Bohrok Va to whose back my grandmother and I affixed its Krana with glue (!)—to joining BZPower to making wonderful friends in and around this community, I will always hold a cherished place in my heart for the line and this site.  I will be as active as I can for as long as I can in order to do my part.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Bionicle can only stay alive if we, as a community, continue to stay alive.  From my first set—a Bohrok Va to whose back my grandmother and I affixed its Krana with glue (!)—to joining BZPower to making wonderful friends in and around this community, I will always hold a cherished place in my heart for the line and this site.  I will be as active as I can for as long as I can in order to do my part.

Thank you  Sumiki and I whole heartedly  agree that  Bionicle will stay alive as long as  we its life blood stays active. Thank you for playing your part because  we cant do our duty with out unity  and after all it was destiny that we come to find bionicle . lol Ironically  a lego employee notified me to  BZpower over a phone call that I made to the company .  

• Upvote 1

Bionicle can absolutely be recreated with the same tone and atmosphere as G1. Lego need only devise new mysteries to build up. However, with each new iteration of an IP, it might be wise to do something different. So long as it's not the most extreme deviation from G1 possible, a third generation could stand to be different. G2 wasn't criminally unfaithful, it just didn't have as much work put into it and failed as a result. New takes on an old concept can be good--if we got the same thing every time, it would get old.

Lego knows they have a potentially lucrative product in Bionicle. That's why it came back--the community showed that there was a tremendous audience poised to swipe toys off the shelves if they had the brand name attached to them. G2 ended because of Lego's failure to market it as they did G1, with emphasis on the franchise being more than just some silly action figures. They were displayed as a big kid's toy, and this display worked. Lego, if they're smart, is simply returning to the drawing board and not ending Bionicle for good. If we, as a community, continue to persevere, then Bionicle may not be limited to living on only in spirit. With luck, Lego will assess where they went wrong, come to the right conclusion, and bring Bionicle back the way it should have been.

• Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Bionicle can absolutely be recreated with the same tone and atmosphere as G1. Lego need only devise new mysteries to build up. However, with each new iteration of an IP, it might be wise to do something different. So long as it's not the most extreme deviation from G1 possible, a third generation could stand to be different. G2 wasn't criminally unfaithful, it just didn't have as much work put into it and failed as a result. New takes on an old concept can be good--if we got the same thing every time, it would get old.

Lego knows they have a potentially lucrative product in Bionicle. That's why it came back--the community showed that there was a tremendous audience poised to swipe toys off the shelves if they had the brand name attached to them. G2 ended because of Lego's failure to market it as they did G1, with emphasis on the franchise being more than just some silly action figures. They were displayed as a big kid's toy, and this display worked. Lego, if they're smart, is simply returning to the drawing board and not ending Bionicle for good. If we, as a community, continue to persevere, then Bionicle may not be limited to living on only in spirit. With luck, Lego will assess where they went wrong, come to the right conclusion, and bring Bionicle back the way it should have been.

In 1 to 2 years time 3 tops.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Last time, it was 5 years. I'd imagine the wait until G3 would be even longer.

I remember my first time being exposed to Bionicle. It was early 2000 right after Christmas. I had received some new sets for the holiday and a little catalog had come with them showing off all the new sets for the coming season. I browsed through it with enthusiasm because I loved Lego and then all of the sudden...BAM There they were, all six of the original Toa Mata standing united with the huge title BIONICLE behind it. IT BLEW MY SEVEN YEAR OLD MIND AWAY. Days passed and I kept turning to that page just staring at them wanting to get them so badly. My mind was buzzing with the possibilities these sets had. I can recall how excited I was when my dad took me to Toys R Us one sunny afternoon some weeks later and I was able to get Onua and Pohatu as my first ever Bionicle sets all those years ago. Every set I got had a story and feel to it. Takanuva, Vakama Hordika, Matoro Inika to name a few, all were such cool experiences. Even with the new wave of sets me and my best friend drove all over our state hunting down as many of the new sets as we could find. So while it may be over Bionicle and Lego were able to give me some cherished memories that I'll always have. 

halo-reach-review-top.jpg

I'm hoping the Bionicle Designer team made the decision to pull the line.

Fix it basically giving it a face lift. But in the meantime CCBS would have no new contraction line for a good 2 years. So when Bionicle comes back it's more of a impact. Its not only the return of Bionicle it's the return of CCBS.

Thus with a highly improved story and the return of a original CCBS theme Bionicle can make a bigger comeback.

Fix it basically giving it a face lift. But in the meantime CCBS would have no new contraction line for a good 2 years. So when Bionicle comes back it's more of a impact. Its not only the return of Bionicle it's the return of CCBS.

Thus with a highly improved story and the return of a original CCBS theme Bionicle can make a bigger comeback.

If constraction goes on hiatus, I wouldn't expect the revived system to be CCBS. In part, this is because CCBS was criticized for a lack of detail; though it's worth noting that G2 saw a lot of G1-esque detail pieces.

If constraction goes on hiatus, I wouldn't expect the revived system to be CCBS. In part, this is because CCBS was criticized for a lack of detail; though it's worth noting that G2 saw a lot of G1-esque detail pieces.
I prefer the blended look of both systems. When done properly it can look fantastic. The Toa Unity really showed the best of both systems.

I don't prefer one one over the other.

I like them toghter.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the opening post. Bionicle lives on in all of us, especially in the lessons it has taught us. The original line has had a major impact on my life and I wouldn't be the same person I am today without Bionicle. I honestly think it will make a return one day, but if it doesn't, that's not a loss. Like the OP said, it's still talked about, fanfic is still made from it, the resale value of the sets is as strong as ever on Ebay (which says it's still in high demand) and it's honestly a timeless story of good vs evil. And the timeless factor comes in because years from now, there will still be a community of people talking about Bionicle somewhere.

Don't despair, just let it happen and create your own legends  :D

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Not a fan of the clickbait title, but I get your point. To hear my opinions on this, just click the button down below! (You won't believe #6!)

Aw Yeh Click Me Baby
It was a trick. I fooled all of you.

Nah actually you do raise a good point. Our obsession with children's toys will keep their legends alive.

Edited by Kung Fu Za Warudo

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Not a fan of the clickbait title, but I get your point. To hear my opinions on this, just click the button down below! (You won't believe #6!)

Aw Yeh Click Me Baby
It was a trick. I fooled all of you.

Nah actually you do raise a good point. Our obsession with children's toys will keep their legends alive.

#6 was shocking!
  • Upvote 1