REVIEW: Shades of the Past

The 1st Shadow

Solid opening. Having not read any of the works you named, I can't make any guesses to the plot yet, but I appreciate how well-written it is. I didn't notice any grammar, spelling, or punctuation errors. I'm curious to see what happens to Sigilix, so I'll be checking back.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Heya.

As another informative post, to collaborate with Shadow's intro on the first chapter, this marks the end of what is considered "Wave 1" of the Kanohi Force. That means any and all data added onto the Force's official library, be it comedy chapters or approved epics/short stories, will be counted as Wave 2, and any new members will be counted in this second wave as well. This does not change the standpoint, position, or validation of any of the new or upcoming members, and the Kanohi Force is still free to join, by whoever is interested. More information can be found here.

Chapter-wise, Shadow, I wasn't really impressed aside from the overall feel. Then again, I've read your previous works, and it is an improvement. Keep up the good work!

Heya.

As another informative post, to collaborate with Shadow's intro on the first chapter, this marks the end of what is considered "Wave 1" of the Kanohi Force. That means any and all data added onto the Force's official library, be it comedy chapters or approved epics/short stories, will be counted as Wave 2, and any new members will be counted in this second wave as well. This does not change the standpoint, position, or validation of any of the new or upcoming members, and the Kanohi Force is still free to join, by whoever is interested. More information can be found here.

Chapter-wise, Shadow, I wasn't really impressed aside from the overall feel. Then again, I've read your previous works, and it is an improvement. Keep up the good work!

As an ostensible member of Kanohi Force, I'm surprised I have a page on that website. The only thing that it gets wrong is that my name is not pronounced "MAH-stur in-EE-kuh" as my page purports, but rather "BLEEN-gus BLAHN-gus. SHEEN-gus SHAHN-gus."

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

• 1 month later...

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/23076-shades-of-the-past/?p=1091757

Second chapter is here! I'm currently working on chapter 3, so expect it in the next day or so. Yes, it's still slow going, but I wanted to get some of the main conflict in there before we get going with the rest of the story. Read on, and I'll see you again soon for the next installment. :)

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Nice. I like it more than the first chapter, but I still notice the chapter feels full as you're reading it, but when you finish and reflect, it seems like not much has happened. It works in its favor, it a way--keeps me wanting more.

One slight criticism is the delivering of the information regarding the quakes and 40 years of natural disasters. That information was told, not shown. It would have been much better to relay it through the dialogue, where you did excellently add character to exposition. My favorite bit was Sigilix's line, "My great grandfather was a Chronicler in his youth, but he didn't call it his true profession." Perfect example of throwing in bits of characterization and worldbuilding to keep it from becoming a textbook-style infodump.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Nice. I like it more than the first chapter, but I still notice the chapter feels full as you're reading it, but when you finish and reflect, it seems like not much has happened. It works in its favor, it a way--keeps me wanting more.

One slight criticism is the delivering of the information regarding the quakes and 40 years of natural disasters. That information was told, not shown. It would have been much better to relay it through the dialogue, where you did excellently add character to exposition. My favorite bit was Sigilix's line, "My great grandfather was a Chronicler in his youth, but he didn't call it his true profession." Perfect example of throwing in bits of characterization and worldbuilding to keep it from becoming a textbook-style infodump.

I'm in conjunction with this epic, so I should probably say something... :/

The '40 years of natural disasters' is meant to be kept generally unspecific, although we'll get more detail later. The reason for that, is... Well... Spoilers. ;)

New chapter is up!

Fortunately for you, we're about to dive into the fun part of the story. Stuff will start happening and it'll feel less textbook-y, if all goes according to plan.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Love it! I'm pumped to read the next chapter. All things considered, these three chapters did a great job at establishing both characters, defining the world they inhabit, and even setting up a few mysteries. Keep up the good work.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

• 1 month later...

You should check out my epic: "Ahkmou's Return". If you like this story, you may like mine.

Very nice of you, but review topics are just for commenting on the story they link to. If you want to advertise your own story, do it in your signature or elsewhere. I'd recommend updating your post to include some comments on this story first. 

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~