Why other beings are "affraid" of killing Matoran?

This is something I've noticed more in the years 2006 and 2007. Like, Makuta could have easily killed Matoran or Toa on Mata Nui but he never did (not directly), and the Piraka, instead of Killing Matoran that were disobedient, enslaved them with Antidermis. Barraki also were reluctant in killing Dekar when he refused to handle the Mask of Life to them.

This is something I've noticed more in the years 2006 and 2007. Like, Makuta could have easily killed Matoran or Toa on Mata Nui but he never did (not directly), and the Piraka, instead of Killing Matoran that were disobedient, enslaved them with Antidermis. Barraki also were reluctant in killing Dekar when he refused to handle the Mask of Life to them.

Each of these can be explained by the villains motives

Makuta (Terri) was responsible for the deaths of many Matoran and Toa, directly or indirectly (he hired the DH to kill the Mangai).  But on Mata Nui killing matron would have been counter productive.  He wanted them to worship and fear him (killing off a few wound have scared them yes, but the Rahi were already doing that just fine).  More so, he needed them, and the To a Mata for the plan to work.  Why he let Takanuva live is still a valid question imo.  True, he was a threat, but once he existed, Takanuva became a symbol which could lead the matroan further into his 'trap'.

The piraka wanted a worker force and Matoran have proven themselves quite resilient.  But they weren't afraid of letting Matoran Die of engineering situations where they died, even when the Piraka were posing as Toa.

I do not recall the Dekar-Barraki situation, though I imagine they were more convened with the Mask.  Remember when Pridak? casually through a matron to the sharks to intimidate the rest.  Or how Ehlak regularly hunted Matoran (off screen).

• Upvote 1

Reading through the books and serials would show you that G1 Bionicle had plenty of death to go around. The reason the writers kept it from the foreground is because the whole "killing" thing didn't really fit Lego's MO. Obviously you can't have a massive fictional universe wherein conflict is such a prevalent theme without characters dying, but they didn't want the most basic and most accessible levels of the material to feature it in order to stay as child-friendly as they could.

In universe? Without the Matoran, the GSR would stop functioning and everyone would die. I mean, Teridax killing a handful of Matoran in the archives to end the civil war caused massive disruptions, and that was what, like 1-5% of the entire Matoran population inside the GSR?

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Why kill when you can enslave?

Additionally, Mata Nui, Voya Nui, and Mahri Nui, were all on the surface of Aqua Magna.  This means they were cut off from the Matoran Creation machines available within the Matoran Universe.  If the Piraka, Barraki, or Teridax killed the Matoran in their domains, there weren't exactly going to be any new ones popping into existence any time soon.

• Upvote 1

There could also be something subconscious in everyone's programming that discourages it, since Matoran are the ones keeping the universe running. Toa are made for fighting and are designed to be occasionally sacrificed to serve Destiny, but Matoran seem more likely to die by accident than any other way, suggesting that even the most bloodthirsty beings are being steered away from killing them..

• Upvote 4

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

• 2 weeks later...

teridax wanted  to become the great spirit he needed them to keep him alive

piraka used matoran us slaves and did not wanted have their claws dirty and manz of them died in chamber of truth

pridak dropped sarda to his doom and ehlek wanted to destroy whole mahri nui

• Upvote 1

Well, I recall the Piraka tossing a Matoran into a volcano, so they didn't have any qualms about killing the Matoran. I guess killing off large numbers of innocent civillians would be to depressing for the mainstream story media.

The in-universe reason for that might be the fact that the Great Spirit Robot needs the Matoran to function properly and their death would pretty much doom the entire universe - the universe the villains like Teridax wanted to take over, not destroy it.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a a quote about Pridak's intelligence in his bio.

Although hot-headed, he is very practical; he saw no gain from killing the Matoran of Mahri Nui, and so he chose not to. However, if he could have gotten something out of it, he would gladly have destroyed the entire city without any qualms.

Perhaps he and Teridax were among the most tactical thinkers, instead of blindly killing inhabitants when they be threatened, manipulation and coerced by fear and setting examples such as small incidents hurting someone to make their point clear. It is said that followers and workers are worh their support in gold instead of wasting a population.

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

Well, I recall the Piraka tossing a Matoran into a volcano, so they didn't have any qualms about killing the Matoran. I guess killing off large numbers of innocent civillians would be to depressing for the mainstream story media.

The in-universe reason for that might be the fact that the Great Spirit Robot needs the Matoran to function properly and their death would pretty much doom the entire universe - the universe the villains like Teridax wanted to take over, not destroy it.

I remember being so upset when I read about the Piraka killing that matoran. Fortunately, the Piraka got their comeuppance...I think...right?

I remember being so upset when I read about the Piraka killing that matoran. Fortunately, the Piraka got their comeuppance...I think...right?

If you think being stripped of arms, legs, most of your body and your ability to breathe air, then tossed into a cauldron of EP to emerge as a component to a great golden skakdi god is comeuppance, then yeah, they did.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

This makes me think. Sure the Matoran's role in the universe is known. What are all the other species's role in the universe? Makuta were made to create Rahi and be enforcers. Why were the Rahi made? To give the Matoran something purdy to look at? What about all the other nameless species?

I think the Rahi are a source of food for the Matoran, Toa, etc.

I don't think this is the case for bigger and stronger Rahi. Maybe they are made to fight, defend some areas or something like that. That's just my idea.

Edited by Toa-Aletrax

"The future will bring the answers to your questions, but only if you stop speaking long enough to notice them."

~Toa Nuju

My fanfiction (continuation of G1):

Chapter1 The Plan

Chapter2 The Encounter

Chapter3 The Blueprints

Chapter4 The Fight

Chapter5 The Traveller

Chapter6 New Tools

Chapter7 Rescuers on the Red Star

My musical project: The Chronicler (the topic of the project)

Songs:

- Le-Matoran in Bota Magna

- Triumph of The Seventh Toa

- Building New Atero (Le-Matoran in Bota Magna VIP)

I remember vividly a rather disturbing scene from one of the 2006 books where a Zamor'd Matoran working on the volcano just slips and topples in, and doesn't even react on the way down.

That pretty much set the mood for that arc.

IrMSNn3.png

Did the Piraka actually throw Matoran in the volcano? I recall they messed with a Zamor'd one by asking him to walk into the lava, but then kept pulling him back and asking him to do it again and again, and eventually got him to stop so they could use him for other stuff. Many did die by accident in the eruption, though.

Edited by Alyska

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Why were the Rahi made? To give the Matoran something purdy to look at? What about all the other nameless species?

I saw somewhere (likely BS01 or even a BZP thread) that the more dangerous Rahi were made to keep curious Matoran from exploring certain parts of the Matoran Universe, so that they don't accidentally discover that they're all inside a giant robot.

As for more domesticated ones like goats, they just use 'em for the same reason humans do.  Farming, hauling, that kinda stuff.

They can eat fish, so that's why fish Rahi exist.

This makes me think. Sure the Matoran's role in the universe is known. What are all the other species's role in the universe? Makuta were made to create Rahi and be enforcers. Why were the Rahi made? To give the Matoran something purdy to look at? What about all the other nameless species?

I remember reading that they were made to fill up space in the MU and provide an ecosystem.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light