Lego Digital Designer (Tips & Tricks!)

InkAlchemist1994

I've found it very hard to find useful, straightforward solutions to various problems with LDD, so I'm starting this thread as a place for everyone to post their tips and tricks to making LDD work for them!

Make LDD display properly in Wine under Ubuntu (and other Linux systems)

I've had this problem for a long time where the bottom portion of LDD doesn't get displayed. With most programs this wouldn't be an issue, but with LDD, that means I couldn't use the 'Expand dividers' and the 'Filter bricks by color' buttons, and the divider size slider because they weren't actually on the screen. Additionally, the brick info at the bottom of the screen was also not there, which is extraordinarily frustrating! Well, lucky for you, I figured out how to fix it!

1. Open a terminal and type: xrandr | grep "current"
  2. You'll see a line similar to this, showing your current screen resolution.
    • Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1366 x 768, maximum 32767 x 32767
  3. Now type: winecfg
  4. In the window that pops up, go to the 'Graphics' tab, and select the checkbox labeled 'Emulate a virtual desktop'.
  5. For the Desktop Size, enter in the resolution from Step 2, but subtract some from the height. I suggest about 100 pixels.
  6. Click 'Apply' and close the current window.
  7. Go back to the terminal and type: wineserver -k

Now when you open LDD, you should see the entire program! You may have to mess with the height in winecfg, but now you know how to go about fixing the problem.

gallery_114868_370_4342.png

Minimizing the window and then dragging the corners does not solve the issue for me. In fact, when dragging the corners, the content in the window resizes, but the hidden portion just isn't there.

I have never heard of someone having that problem with LDD, now I see why it was necessary for you to change the parameters/code.  Very interesting.  

I am sure if someone runs into the same issue, the information you provide here is invaluable.