G2 Mythology

The legend of Okoto may have ended early, though what was set out to do has been done. I wanted to take a look at the mythology of G2. Firstly, I must say that Ekimu is God in the universe while Makuta represents the Devil. Ekimu is regal and bright blue while Makuta has demon horns on his mask and is a dark purple. He became jealous of the praise the Okotans gave Ekimu and he wanted to take over the world for himself. Makuta spawned demons and undead creatures to attack the knightly toa. Ekimu is on paradise while Makuta lives in the dark underworld. What does anyone else think about this?

• Upvote 1

I'm not too familiar with Christian mythology, as religious education was optional where I studied and I opted out, but I guess Makuta does fit Lucifer, since he started out as a not-evil guy back when both of them were mask makers.

However I don't feel Bionicle really needs to be compared to existing mythologies. Granted, there is real folklore in the inspiration of it all, probably more so than in the case of G1 which really is a truly unique universe. I'm sure the "jealous villain who fell from grace due to hubris" is a character archetype that appears in some shape or form in pretty much every mythos on earth, from the most obscure celtic tribes to the greatest empires that ruled throughout history. It is such an elementary moral tale that it appears in all cultures.

While I generally defend G2 ferociously, I must admit the handling of Makuta is one thing I'm not too fond of. He was devolved into the greatest stereotype human society has ever spawned, while in G1 he was a villain from the get-go pretty much. An opportunistic tactical genius who saw a change to impose his order on the world. In G2 he was like "My masks aren't as good as my brother's? Well screw everyone then!".

Back on topic... the elements in G2 (also in G1, but this topic is about G2) don't really stick to those in other mythologies. Stone isn't ever counted separately, neither is jungle (though air is, which is why I'm bothered by the change), nor is ice. Most mythologies have their own set of elements, while others aren't concerned with elements at all. I still think that if one were to link Bionicle to an existing mythos, ones must reach further back in history than christianity. If you think about it, christian faith is pretty "tame" in terms of fantastical elements compared to others which are full of deities and magic, that have huge pantheons of gods and all that cool stuff. Bionicle is a lot more tribal. I'm thinking the mythologies of Oceanic cultures fit better, though I guess the similarities to the Maori language used in G1 as well as the similarity of both Mata Nui and Okoto to polynesian islands (on purpose) add to that.

Even so, I think Bionicle is far too unique to be labeled "Like mythology X" 

:kakama:

• Upvote 2

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

"My masks aren't as good as my brother's? Well screw everyone then!".

Commemorative.

The best thing I've heard all day. :ruru:

Though I do see what you're saying, it doesn't have to necessarily be tied to just Christian faith it can be based off of more exotic types of religion. I just wanted to point out the demons of Makuta.

• Upvote 2

While I generally defend G2 ferociously, I must admit the handling of Makuta is one thing I'm not too fond of. He was devolved into the greatest stereotype human society has ever spawned, while in G1 he was a villain from the get-go pretty much. An opportunistic tactical genius who saw a change to impose his order on the world. In G2 he was like "My masks aren't as good as my brother's? Well screw everyone then!".

I disagree. From what I've seen, Makuta in G2 didn't turn evil due to jealousy alone. Rather, his desire to prove himself equal to or better than his brother made him bitter and reckless, leading him to take a huge risk in creating the Mask of Ultimate Power. It was that mask's corrupting influence that turned him from jealous rival to ruthless megalomaniac.

Conversely, Makuta in G1 was eventually revealed to not actually not even be remotely related to Mata Nui except as a high-ranking, much less powerful follower, revealing his jealousy of the Matoran's praise of Mata Nui as nothing but delusions of grandeur. He somehow (it's never sufficiently explained how or why) convinced himself he was more important and more brilliant than the universe itself. He risked destroying the universe time and time again in the name of taking control of it, and yet the only justification ever provided for these insane schemes was "I think it'll work, so why not?". This made him utterly unsympathetic, and yet the story proceeded to unfailingly prove him right by repeatedly giving him the upper hand, not because of any major failings or mistakes on the part of the "good guys", but rather because he was Just That Good At Scheming.

There were definitely some interesting things about Makuta in G1 — like the cult of personality that his naive followers built around him, and his tendency to toy with heroes like Vakama, Takanuva, and Matoro, and of course the hints dropped early on and abandoned later that he might be more than just evil for evil's sake… but by the end, he was just presented as an obnoxiously hypercompetent evil overlord with no meaningful weaknesses, few compelling motivations, and not a shred of moral ambiguity.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6

I disagree. From what I've seen, Makuta in G2 didn't turn evil due to jealousy alone. Rather, his desire to prove himself equal to or better than his brother made him bitter and reckless, leading him to take a huge risk in creating the Mask of Ultimate Power. It was that mask's corrupting influence that turned him from jealous rival to ruthless megalomaniac.

Conversely, Makuta in G1 was eventually revealed to not actually not even be remotely related to Mata Nui except as a high-ranking, much less powerful follower, revealing his jealousy of the Matoran's praise of Mata Nui as nothing but delusions of grandeur. He somehow (it's never sufficiently explained how or why) convinced himself he was more important and more brilliant than the universe itself. He risked destroying the universe time and time again in the name of taking control of it, and yet the only justification ever provided for these insane schemes was "I think it'll work, so why not?". This made him utterly unsympathetic, and yet the story proceeded to unfailingly prove him right by repeatedly giving him the upper hand, not because of any major failings or mistakes on the part of the "good guys", but rather because he was Just That Good At Scheming.

There were definitely some interesting things about Makuta in G1 — like the cult of personality that his naive followers built around him, and his tendency to toy with heroes like Vakama, Takanuva, and Matoro, and of course the hints dropped early on and abandoned later that he might be more than just evil for evil's sake… but by the end, he was just presented as an obnoxiously hypercompetent evil overlord with no meaningful weaknesses, few compelling motivations, and not a shred of moral ambiguity.

I always thought that the MoUP just made G2 Makuta really really strong, and that the evilness came from within. As for G2 Makuta, I see less megalomania and more someone who thinks - and may possibly be right - that they can run things more efficiently. The GSR is really just a machine, internal islands and sentient nanomachines notwithstanding. I think the Barraki were the "evil for evil's sake" baddies who promptly failed. Makuta Teridax was happy to do his thing while keep his ideas and malcontent to himself until the league gave him the idea that maybe taking over the GSR was actually possible. The way his backup plans had backup plans did get a tad tedious in later years, but overall I think he's less of the mustache twirling dastardly villain who wants a million dollars, and more of a cold and calculating individual who genuinely thinks he'd be better at running things, but keeps up the whole bond-villain act to convince his henchmen to follow him (well, when convincing was needed).

In the arcs where the villains were minions of Makuta, like Rahkshi or the infected Rahi, his grandiose evil-villain monologues probably served to intimidate his foes (though obviously the guy has an ego), while in the case of, say, the Barraki or Sidorak, he needed to illicit the "wow, this guy is really evil! let's follow him!" effect. 

I mean, sure, this isn't exactly conveyed by the canon, but so rarely do we get a first person glimpse of what goes on in Teridax's head that it might as well be true. It really is up for interpretation. 

The way I personally took it from the media is that G1 Makuta was the smart, logical and precise villain with an actual, genuine goal, while G2 Makuta was a spoilt jealous angsty child who basically wanted to wreck a whole island just because his brother was more popular. To each his own, I guess.

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

I always thought that the MoUP just made G2 Makuta really really strong, and that the evilness came from within.

The specific line from the video "The Legend" is "When Makuta put it on, it took control over him". And in the graphic novel Battle of the Mask Makers, when Makuta first puts on the Mask of Ultimate Power, he proclaims that he will use it to help the people of Okoto: "New land will rise from the surrounding waters! New forests will provide more food! New cities will be cleaner and safer! Never will an islander want for anything! And I will control it… I will control… I will controlI WILL CONTROL… EVERYTHING!" It's at that point that Ekimu arrives and knocks the mask from him with his Hammer of Power. Judging from that sequence, Makuta's intentions when he put on the mask were very different than when it was finally knocked from him.

As for G2 Makuta, I see less megalomania and more someone who thinks - and may possibly be right - that they can run things more efficiently. The GSR is really just a machine, internal islands and sentient nanomachines notwithstanding. I think the Barraki were the "evil for evil's sake" baddies who promptly failed. Makuta Teridax was happy to do his thing while keep his ideas and malcontent to himself until the league gave him the idea that maybe taking over the GSR was actually possible. The way his backup plans had backup plans did get a tad tedious in later years, but overall I think he's less of the mustache twirling dastardly villain who wants a million dollars, and more of a cold and calculating individual who genuinely thinks he'd be better at running things, but keeps up the whole bond-villain act to convince his henchmen to follow him (well, when convincing was needed).

In the arcs where the villains were minions of Makuta, like Rahkshi or the infected Rahi, his grandiose evil-villain monologues probably served to intimidate his foes (though obviously the guy has an ego), while in the case of, say, the Barraki or Sidorak, he needed to illicit the "wow, this guy is really evil! let's follow him!" effect. 

I mean, sure, this isn't exactly conveyed by the canon, but so rarely do we get a first person glimpse of what goes on in Teridax's head that it might as well be true. It really is up for interpretation.

We did get a thorough first-person glimpse into Teridax's head, though, in Makuta's Guide to the Universe. And in that, it's made clear that his actions are evil and without remorse. Thinking he could run the universe more efficiently is one thing, but the things Makuta did were more than just a facade to look tough and scary to his followers. He genuinely did not care for the lives of anyone but himself, and delights in crushing anyone from his most loyal followers to those who he perceives even the slightest disrespect from. And frankly, nothing ever so much as implies that he did once have a heart — rather than being a good person who turned evil, he was an evil person who just happened to work with the good guys for the several thousand years it took him to realize that there was an alternative. This is reinforced when we encounter The Melding alternate universe's version of Makuta, who despite ostensibly still serving the forces of good is just as ruthless, spiteful, and uncaring as the main universe's counterpart. When the only thing it takes to put together a scheme to take over the universe is realizing that you can get away with it, nobody can claim you were ever anything but a self-absorbed monster. You were compliant once, maybe, but never good.

Now, in the early years, there was indeed some evidence that Makuta might have had some deeper motivations than just run-of-the-mill megalomania (including the style guide that got posted here on BZPower a few years ago). But by the end it's clear that any plans to give Makuta any kind of moral complexity had been abandoned — his only reason for turning to evil was realizing he could get away with it at no cost to himself. And no, his evil was not purely in service of the "goal" of running the universe. In the last pages of Makuta's Guide to the Universe, he plainly considers all his goals achieved. And yet, does he boast of how perfect and benevolent his new reign will be? Of course not. Rather, he gloats that he has "an infinity of years with which to torment Tahu, Jaller, and all the rest," that the Toa would be "reduced to huddling in fearful anticipation of when I would end their pitiful existences, and that "I have nothing more to fear from Mata Nui. But this universe and its people have everything to fear from me." That's not evil in the service of a goal. That's evil for evil's sake, taken to utterly cartoonish extremes.

• Upvote 3

I have to disagree with your interpretation of the mythology of G2. I don't think G2 was good, but it didn't reuse common biblical themes that aren't necessary at all to tell an effective story.

Ekimu and Makuta are brothers, which is the biggest core difference between your interpretation and mine. They're not representatives of larger holier themes or over important Gods. I admit, the line loses it and gives in to those inhibitions later on, especially at the end (which is part of why I think G2 isn't particularly good since for whatever reasons/excuses either we or LEGO can make, the theme completely loses focus and the themes or ideas it barely already had), but nonetheless the main idea was the roots of Makuta and his relationship with Ekimu.

Makuta's relationship is what completely separates G2 from G1, and even more the biblical echoes. G1 has a lot more of those biblical themes with Mata-Nui being seen as a God and Makuta looking to challenge him and take him over (which even then I feel isn't the core idea of G1 Bionicle, but definitely one of them), whereas G2 makes an effort to make Makuta feel more human and the two brothers simple mask makers rather than Gods.

I'm actually having a hard time defending my point because G2 really isn't good enough to even have a central thesis. It's theme shifts dramatically and shamefully (almost as if it was cut off and not given a proper ending hahahahaha) so really perhaps a better argument would be about how G2 lacks a solid mythology. Or anything, I'm still salty about all that happened.

Dang, now I've gotten emotional, time to go hold my feelings in unhealthily until the capitalist regime drains me of any life and meaning and makes me a husk of a human being as my whole world crumbles apart around me.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 3

rather than being a good person who turned evil, he was an evil person who just happened to work with the good guys for the several thousand years it took him to realize that there was an alternative

I get the point of your whole post, but this is pretty much what I said in my first post too. Granted, I never did read Makuta's Guide to the Universe seeing as I don't own it, but I concede the point of G2's Makuta originally having good intentions.

Well, I guess I always gave Teridax more credit than he deserved. However, I personally prefer the kind of villain described above over the "became evil because jealousy" type - even if G2's Makuta doesn't fit that bill.

Ekimu and Makuta were not deities, they were historical people. It's like if Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee went into stasis at the end of the Civil War, and 6 guys had to re-awaken Grant to preserve racial equality or something.

• Upvote 3

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

I always thought that the MoUP just made G2 Makuta really really strong, and that the evilness came from within.

The specific line from the video "The Legend" is "When Makuta put it on, it took control over him". And in the graphic novel Battle of the Mask Makers, when Makuta first puts on the Mask of Ultimate Power, he proclaims that he will use it to help the people of Okoto: "New land will rise from the surrounding waters! New forests will provide more food! New cities will be cleaner and safer! Never will an islander want for anything! And I will control it… I will control… I will controlI WILL CONTROL… EVERYTHING!" It's at that point that Ekimu arrives and knocks the mask from him with his Hammer of Power. Judging from that sequence, Makuta's intentions when he put on the mask were very different than when it was finally knocked from him.

As for G2 Makuta, I see less megalomania and more someone who thinks - and may possibly be right - that they can run things more efficiently. The GSR is really just a machine, internal islands and sentient nanomachines notwithstanding. I think the Barraki were the "evil for evil's sake" baddies who promptly failed. Makuta Teridax was happy to do his thing while keep his ideas and malcontent to himself until the league gave him the idea that maybe taking over the GSR was actually possible. The way his backup plans had backup plans did get a tad tedious in later years, but overall I think he's less of the mustache twirling dastardly villain who wants a million dollars, and more of a cold and calculating individual who genuinely thinks he'd be better at running things, but keeps up the whole bond-villain act to convince his henchmen to follow him (well, when convincing was needed).

We did get a thorough first-person glimpse into Teridax's head, though, in Makuta's Guide to the Universe. And in that, it's made clear that his actions are evil and without remorse. Thinking he could run the universe more efficiently is one thing, but the things Makuta did were more than just a facade to look tough and scary to his followers. He genuinely did not care for the lives of anyone but himself, and delights in crushing anyone from his most loyal followers to those who he perceives even the slightest disrespect from. And frankly, nothing ever so much as implies that he did once have a heart — rather than being a good person who turned evil, he was an evil person who just happened to work with the good guys for the several thousand years it took him to realize that there was an alternative. This is reinforced when we encounter The Melding alternate universe's version of Makuta, who despite ostensibly still serving the forces of good is just as ruthless, spiteful, and uncaring as the main universe's counterpart. When the only thing it takes to put together a scheme to take over the universe is realizing that you can get away with it, nobody can claim you were ever anything but a self-absorbed monster. You were compliant once, maybe, but never good.

Now, in the early years, there was indeed some evidence that Makuta might have had some deeper motivations than just run-of-the-mill megalomania (including the style guide that got posted here on BZPower a few years ago). But by the end it's clear that any plans to give Makuta any kind of moral complexity had been abandoned — his only reason for turning to evil was realizing he could get away with it at no cost to himself. And no, his evil was not purely in service of the "goal" of running the universe. In the last pages of Makuta's Guide to the Universe, he plainly considers all his goals achieved. And yet, does he boast of how perfect and benevolent his new reign will be? Of course not. Rather, he gloats that he has "an infinity of years with which to torment Tahu, Jaller, and all the rest," that the Toa would be "reduced to huddling in fearful anticipation of when I would end their pitiful existences, and that "I have nothing more to fear from Mata Nui. But this universe and its people have everything to fear from me." That's not evil in the service of a goal. That's evil for evil's sake, taken to utterly cartoonish extremes.

Thank you, someone finally said it! G1 Makuta was so irredeemably evil and dehumanized I'd expect him to eat little kittens off-screen... And, to be frank, it wasn't good writing. While the fact that he was utterly unlikable wasn't necessarily a bad thing (I'll admit that I like some of the despicable villains like Voldemort or the Emperor from Star Wars), why did he have to be so cartoonish and edgy about it? As flawed as this movie was, I prefer his characterization in The Mask of Light - the 'Slumber spares him pain; awake he suffers' bit was really interesting and I'd have liked to see it developed further but NOPE, Makuta was instead turned into generic evil megalomaniac. What a shame.

Plus, the 'it was planned all along!' shtick didn't really make him seem like an effective villain, instead it made the plot overly convenient for him, hurting my willing suspension of disbelief - and that means something, as I often defend stories other people tend to complain about a lot.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Teridax was apparently evil due to an innate flaw of his species - which basically means that he was born evil. Needless to say, I feel it also cheapens his character.

Edited by Onepu the Protector
  • Upvote 2

Thank you, someone finally said it! G1 Makuta was so irredeemably evil and dehumanized I'd expect him to eat little kittens off-screen... And, to be frank, it wasn't good writing. While the fact that he was utterly unlikable wasn't necessarily a bad thing (I'll admit that I like some of the despicable villains like Voldemort or the Emperor from Star Wars), why did he have to be so cartoonish and edgy about it? As flawed as this movie was, I prefer his characterization in The Mask of Light - the 'Slumber spares him pain; awake he suffers' bit was really interesting and I'd have liked to see it developed further but NOPE, Makuta was instead turned into generic evil megalomaniac. What a shame.

Plus, the 'it was planned all along!' shtick didn't really make him seem like an effective villain, instead it made the plot overly convenient for him, hurting my willing suspension of disbelief - and that means something, as I often defend stories other people tend to complain about a lot.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Teridax was apparently evil due to an innate flaw of his species - which basically means that he was born evil. Needless to say, I feel it also cheapens his character.

I felt Teridax would have been more fun if his motivations stated at the end of MoL--that is, he believes he is protecting Mata Nui by keeping him in a coma--had been kept in the story for the remainder of G1. He would have felt much less generic than the cliche megalomaniac we actually got. I just feel like the "TAKE OVER THE WORLD" motivation is overused in fiction. This is why I really like Kingpin as he appears in season 1 of Netflix's Daredevil. He doesn't seem to want to control 's Kitchen because he wants power, he wants to control it out of a sense of attachment to the city. His character also extends beyond his villainy, and he feels more like an actual person than some scumbag the writers want us to hate more than connect with. This is kinda lost in season 2, unfortunately, and his character suffers for it. If G3 happens, I'll be elated if Makuta (or some new villain, if Lego would go that route) is anywhere near as deep.

I'd rather think of it this way, which happens to link up perfectly to the Universe of G1:

The whole thing is a test. Whether it's a simulation or real, it doesn't really matter, as the resources are available for both. If you guys remember, the six Toa are beings created by Artakha, the ultimate Toa Team basically. My idea is that Ekimu is in fact Artakha in disguise. It makes sense since they both wear the Mask of Creation aswell. Makuta isn't the real Makuta, but a fake, created to prepare the Toa for the real thing they would end up facing on Mata Nui. The whole thing is created to test the Toa's abilities and prepare them morally for their hard future. When it ends, the Toa simply have their memories wiped, and are sent in their canisters up to Mata Nui to become the heroes they are now.

I love thinking of it this way because it fits in so nicely. Not to mention it could literally come up as a story within a story if somebody continues it, since Artakha's around at the moment with Brutaka and Miserix and company ...

• Upvote 1

Matoro is dead. (Lol)

I'd rather think of it this way, which happens to link up perfectly to the Universe of G1:

The whole thing is a test. Whether it's a simulation or real, it doesn't really matter, as the resources are available for both. If you guys remember, the six Toa are beings created by Artakha, the ultimate Toa Team basically. My idea is that Ekimu is in fact Artakha in disguise. It makes sense since they both wear the Mask of Creation aswell. Makuta isn't the real Makuta, but a fake, created to prepare the Toa for the real thing they would end up facing on Mata Nui. The whole thing is created to test the Toa's abilities and prepare them morally for their hard future. When it ends, the Toa simply have their memories wiped, and are sent in their canisters up to Mata Nui to become the heroes they are now.

I love thinking of it this way because it fits in so nicely. Not to mention it could literally come up as a story within a story if somebody continues it, since Artakha's around at the moment with Brutaka and Miserix and company ...

That's actually an awesome idea. In particular, it works because Ekimu's distant personality and hands-off attitude is much more similar to Artakha than Mata Nui.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Ekimu and Makuta were not deities, they were historical people. It's like if Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee went into stasis at the end of the Civil War, and 6 guys had to re-awaken Grant to preserve racial equality or something.

That made me laugh hard and made my day, if you can imagine. :lol:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

That made me laugh hard and made my day, if you can imagine. :lol:

I was desperate for a good analogy, and this was the most ridiculous one I could come up with that made sense.

I think Makuta in G2 is somewhere between the Judeo-Christian Satan and Sauron. It was partially jealousy (Satan), but also partially wanting to gain more power singly than had ever been considered before (Sauron).

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)