Why the Hate on Alternate Universes?

Nick Silverpen

I have been seeing a lot of recent dislike for the alternate universes that were given to us over the years. Just curious, but what is the exact reasoning for it? I originally thought these were created to

1) Satisfy hypotheticals Greg was repeatedly sent by fans

2) Open fanfic possibilities

Dark Mirror and The Kingdom I thought were some of the best stories that came out of the Bionicle later years. The Melding Universe was a good idea, but it could have been introduced differently, but I thought it was an intriguing world. From what I've read of various serials (fanmade and canon), the Tridax-Shadow Takanuva experiment was a good plot device for Teridax's reign. 

City of Silver Pocket Dimension was ok.

The few random dimensions that came out of the Olmak in the later bit (all the dimension hopping Vezon did in the end, the bluff in Federation of Fear about the dimension of pure light beings) were a little weird and unnecessary, I will agree on. Yes, it did make the story more complex.  But overall I think the alternate dimensions were more of a benefit than they were detrimental. Alternate dimensions exist in a lot of sci-fi worlds-- DC's "Flashpoint" is one of the franchise's most beloved scarlet speedster stories, just to name one.

So why do people have so much animosity to the alternate dimensions concept in Bionicle?

• Upvote 2

For me, I just think that the concept became overused as Gen 1 was coming to its end. When it was first introduced in the story, I was okay with it. In fact, Dark Mirror is one of my favorite serials that was written. But as more were introduced, it just made a story that was already sort of complex even harder to follow. 

Plus, I personally think some of them took away from the story in the main universe and some of its characters. Take Brothers In Arms, for example. A lot of its second half introduces another universe and characters in it when it could've been used to give Mazeka and Vultraz and their growing conflict more development. And aside from having Light Teridax introduced and brought into the main universe, it really didn't affect the main story at all.

Another example would be Reign of Shadows. Though it didn't have as big an effect on this serial as Brothers In Arms, one whole chapter was given to Vezon as he explored another world and learned things about it. This kind of irks me, thinking back on it, because at the time Reign of Shadows was the only source of content we were getting about the MU while the Bara Magna story was going on. (Aside from the later chapters of Takanuva's Blog.) That chapter could've been used to develop one or more story plots introduced earlier in the serial, but is instead given to Vezon and another, all-new world. As someone who wanted to see how his favorite characters were living in a Teridax-ruled universe, this disappointed a little bit. 

Overall, I just think the idea of having alternate universes in the story kind of overstayed its welcome. But that is just my two cents on this.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 3

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

indeed, they were interesting but it's stupid when they intervene with each other.

Lets get a tuyet from another dimension

lets get a teridax from another dimension

etc.

like how Warcraft kinda screwed up with their previous expansion

• Upvote 1

TheSkeletonMan939, Twister92, SPIRIT and Gatanui are awesome for uploading soundtracks and games and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Overused concept, and a sort of cop-out solution to problems... and the cause. For example, the fate of Tuyet. I think that one annoyed me the most. Not only that but then it's like every other serial had something to do with alternate universes in 2008 and onward. Not saying they were bad. Dark Mirror and The Kingdom were some of my favorite stories. But after that, it's like BOOM! More Alternate Universes. Alternate Teridax joins the fight. 50+ Alternate Takanuva's join the fight. Tuyet who we thought was dead but was really alive the whole time because she was in another universe joins the fight. 

It all just got... complicated and weird.

• Upvote 1