Bionicle Conflict Zone: Christmas Edition

alpha123

Download: http://www.mediafire...9pqn8b8ed7z1ljjHere's the topic for the regular version. Read it for all the info on this game.This version is my current development version with some graphics swapped, so it's probably sort of buggy. I know of at least one rather nasty bug involving occasional invisible walls when you're playing with fire, plasma, or shadow. Feel free to report any other bugs you find.Merry Christmas!Screenshot:christmasln.png

Edited by alpha123

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

• 2 weeks later...

The regular topic is dead. I decided to post my problem here. I keep getting this error that won't let me run the game. It says:

Script error in 'scripts/main.js', line: 29 Error: could not load sound 'title theme.midi'

I have been encountering this since the second version of the game and therefore haven't been able to see the improvements that have been made since the initial version.

Darn. The good news is, that isn't because of me (it's a Sphere 1.6 bug). The bad news is, that means I can't fix it easily (IIRC, there's a workaround, but I'll have to dig around to Sphere forums for a while to find it :-/). Here's a version without music.http://www.mediafire.com/?ee7kece95mso7bi

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

All right, that works, at least. :) Now, two problems right off the bat: There was an invisible block on the ground, in the middle of the screen, that could be stood on but not destroyed. two: If you use the ice element and get trapped beneath the spawned boxes, you can not get out, because ice only freezes the box but does not destroy it. This led to me walking under the enemy, him jumping above me, and him spawning boxes in the porcess that trapped me. He then proceeded to ignore me completely.A minor thing you can do to improve gameplay: Increase the movement speed of the players and the projectiles. As it is, the whole thing feels slow.Apart from that: Good work on the new effects. I also liked the "Christmas edition" graphics. Reminded me of what Cave Story did with its holiday graphics, and anything that reminds me of Cave Story is good. :P

All right, that works, at least. :) Now, two problems right off the bat: There was an invisible block on the ground, in the middle of the screen, that could be stood on but not destroyed.

Yeah, that happens completely randomly using any element with particle effects. You were using fire, shadow, or plasma, right? (Speaking of plasma, the collision detection is barely implemented for it. That'll be pretty easy to fix.)

two: If you use the ice element and get trapped beneath the spawned boxes, you can not get out, because ice only freezes the box but does not destroy it. This led to me walking under the enemy, him jumping above me, and him spawning boxes in the porcess that trapped me. He then proceeded to ignore me completely.

Ice should do destroy boxes. I wonder why that's not working. Oh, sorry about the AI. It's.... not very bright. The game's focus is multiplayer, so I haven't really working on the AI much.

A minor thing you can do to improve gameplay: Increase the movement speed of the players and the projectiles. As it is, the whole thing feels slow.

OK.

Apart from that: Good work on the new effects. I also liked the "Christmas edition" graphics. Reminded me of what Cave Story did with its holiday graphics, and anything that reminds me of Cave Story is good. :P

Thank you! Normally the game has music, which for the title screen is a very short composition a made a while back. For the fight, the Christmas Edition plays Jingle Bells and the regular one uses the Power Miners theme. The music is in the startup/sounds/ directory. I don't know why Sphere 1.6 won't load it on your computer. Edited by alpha123

Muffin button

Yeah, that happens completely randomly using any element with particle effects. You were using fire, shadow, or plasma, right?

Lightning, actually.

Ice should do destroy boxes. I wonder why that's not working. Oh, sorry about the AI. It's.... not very bright. The game's focus is multiplayer, so I haven't really working on the AI much.

Quick question: Apart from your primary attack and the box-spawning, do you have any other attacks? I didn't press all the buttons like I usually do when testing, so I might have missed something.

Yeah, that happens completely randomly using any element with particle effects. You were using fire, shadow, or plasma, right?

Lightning, actually.
Oh dear. I've never experienced that. It's probably related to the particle effects bug, even though Lightning doesn't use particle effects...

Quick question: Apart from your primary attack and the box-spawning, do you have any other attacks? I didn't press all the buttons like I usually do when testing, so I might have missed something.
Nope, just primary attack and drop boxes. Every element does damage to boxes, although the amount varies based on the speed of the attack and other effects it might have (like freezing, knockback, pushback). Ice should freeze and do 1 damage (boxes have 5 HP and players have 20).

Muffin button

Do you think I should lower box HP and/or increase the minimum delay between drops?

Muffin button

Depends on how much of an obstacle you want them to be. Right now you can spam them with little effort, and the slow speed of your character means that you can block someone in rather easily. Of course, this doesn't hurt the victim and it blocks your shot, so in effect it's useless for anything but movement aid... and in such a square level, that's also useless.So, yes, perhaps you could give the crates a delay/"reload" time between each spawn, and then have it break and deal damage to whatever it lands on. If it doesn't hit a player, it instead lands as a regular box. This would give the crates more of a reason to be there.

Depends on how much of an obstacle you want them to be. Right now you can spam them with little effort, and the slow speed of your character means that you can block someone in rather easily. Of course, this doesn't hurt the victim and it blocks your shot, so in effect it's useless for anything but movement aid... and in such a square level, that's also useless.

I know they're kind of useless. The game started out as a quick proof-of-concept networking game in Sphere. Sometime I'm going to make it so you can choose the map, and perhaps even build your own maps.

So, yes, perhaps you could give the crates a delay/"reload" time between each spawn, and then have it break and deal damage to whatever it lands on. If it doesn't hit a player, it instead lands as a regular box. This would give the crates more of a reason to be there.

They actually already have a delay between spawings, it's just not very long. The crates are going to be replaced with different elements creating different types of terrain, some will do damage, some might be purely defensive, etc.

Muffin button

• 11 months later...