New LEGO Ninjago Movie Stills and Plot Details Revealed

USA Today has published an article unveiling new stills and plot details for The LEGO Ninjago Movie, which is coming to theaters on September 22nd. The author spoke with Justin Theroux (Lord Garmadon) and Dave Franco (Lloyd Garmadon) about their characters' roles in the movie and why they think it will resonate with viewers. The new stills highlight the movie's re-imagined versions of Master Wu, Lord Garmadon, and the six ninja Kai, Zane, Cole, Jay, Nya, and Lloyd. Follow the link above for more details, then tell us your thoughts on these changes in the Talkback topic!

View the full article

James Franco is voicing Lloyd?  :o

I did not know that. I don't know how I feel with him having Franco's voice. But as I try to do with any movie, I plan to wait and see a teaser and/or trailer before making any final opinions on this. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I did not know that. I don't know how I feel with him having Franco's voice. But as I try to do with any movie, I plan to wait and see a teaser and/or trailer before making any final opinions on this.

Actually, it's Dave Franco, but he is his brother.

Anyway, pretty neat that the movie will have Lord Garmadon as an antagonist, like in Ninjago's first three years. There are some things that bother me, though:

1. The Ninja look like cavemen. I mean, look at their hair. Their new outfits are fine, though.

2. Koko being Lloyd's mother? Misako is Lloyd's mother. Maybe Koko is Misako's nickname, probably? I feel it's like in the Ultimate Spider-Man comic book series, where Norman Osborn's wife is named Martha rather than Emily in the mainstream comics. Weird.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Fixed! I'm not sure whether I just misread the USA Today article or if they made a typo themselves which they've since corrected. Probably the former, though. :/

I think being a fan of the TV show is going to continue to sway my opinion on this movie. I'm a huge fan of the theme and the sets, and I've greatly enjoyed the last couple of seasons of the TV show. And that said, it's hard to see the movie take their names and turn it into something fairly different. (Kind of like watching Takua turn from a resourceful adventurer from the online animations into a whiney slacker in the MoL. IMO, anyway.)

I mean, the overall premise sounds good enough, and it sounds like the fight sequences might be epic. But I'm probably going to continue comparing it less favorably to the original television show. :shrugs: That said, with the exception of Kai, the characters look pretty off.

:music:

Beefacepalm.jpg

Why are they messing with a working formula?

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Why are they messing with a working formula?

Arguably, they're just combining the formula that's been working for them with the previous Ninjago sets and TV show with the formula that's been working for them with the movies (quirky re-imaginings of familiar characters, comic actors in all the lead roles, new hair/headgear pieces that give each character a unique silhouette, storylines that gently poke fun at cliches within their genre, etc).

And besides, whether the movie does well or poorly, the sets and TV show will still be picking up from where they left off. So LEGO can afford to take some measured risks with this movie.

I see. Though I do think Dave will probably be a better fit for Lloyd's voice, I was kind of getting interested to see if James Franco could actually pull it off. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png