Project Protodermis - Discussion

GoSP

I know it's a bit late to ask but

(mental note: have votadox burn the place down)

Wat?

Edit= Also does anyone want/mind if Kohu intrudes in on their characters? I intend to get a chat with everyone while I can.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

Easter has come and gone, and now GoSP and I will present our draft training programmes for each of the recruits. The goals here vary, from working to remedy weaknesses, maximising strengths, or instilling the core skills that all Dark Hunters should have, regardless of their specialties. Feel free to add to this - you will know your characters far better than we do.

Recruits will often be working in groups with others who will be working on similar skills, but may also spend significant time on their own or being trained individually, developing unique attributes. It will all depend on the individual. In addition to these, all recruits will continue their daily routines of a morning run and trip through the obstacle course. They will be encouraged to take a different path through each day, until they can do them all.

Obviously, RPing all of this out in full is not practical, especially with all of the repetitions of exercises over several weeks of in-game time. For this reason, we would like to put together an epic training montage to replace much (though not all) of the grind. We can RP the trainings for a while, then cut to the montage of hard work and improvement, play Eye of the Tiger over it, then pack our bags and head out towards Metru Nui. I'd like to have the montage be a gigantic jam post with contributions from everyone, so that's why I'm floating the idea now, well ahead of time. We can all have a bit of time to consider our contributions to that.

Now, on to the specifics of training:

The first training group will be working on melee combat and competence with weapons. This will include Wakeahk, Krahua, Nilauhk, Corrivalis, Hijack, Kohu and Galrax. This group will be trained by Phantom, Triglax and Mimic.

Next, the stealth class, given by Lariska and Silence. This will include Wakeahk, Idgaddiy, Skondh, Erox, Hijack, Sukiru, Kaspar, Zekev, Votadox and Konu-To.

Wakeahk, Idgaddiy, and Sukiru will be going with Amphibax to pick up a few tips on underwater combat, recon and sabotage.

Galrax, Zekev, Corrivalis, and Skondh will be working to sharpen their physical attributes, such as strength, endurance or resiliency.

Zaryna and Acanon, former military commanders, will be sharpening their skills as strategic leaders within the group, under the eyes of Nidhiki.

And individually:

Acanon: Controlling multiple rahi at once.

Wakeahk: Cordak target practise.

Krahua: Agility and spacial awareness.

Nilauhk: Infiltration.

Zaryna: Using her eye for detail to detect traps, weaknesses, etc.

Idgaddiy: Sleight of hand, thievery.

Skondh: Following orders and keeping on-task.

Erox: Reconnaissance and sniping.

Corrivalis: Use of acute senses.

Hijack: Mind control and telepathic interrogation.

Kohu: Shooting on the move.

Sukiru: Elemental healing.

Kaspar: Using a variety of copied powers.

Zekev: Density-shifting parkour.

Galrax: Espionage and scouting.

Votadox: Hypnosis under pressure - to be done alongside the melee group.

Konu-To: Use of powers, and co-operative interaction with sapient beings.

Any additions to this, ideas for putting it into practise or way to train these skills would be appreciated. Again, you know your characters better than GoSP or I ever could, so we want to work with you on how each character moves through the game. We can use this topic to discuss the next stage of the game, and then launch into it once we're happy with a plan.

Edited by The Lorax
  • Upvote 4

ppg2.png

Well, this is certainly... interesting. It seems kind of odd to do such a substantial timeskip in a matter of a few posts, but I understand the reasoning behind it. I just hope we do get some RPing in the practice sessions, at least the group ones.

Also, I can see Sting as a stealth ops character, especially underwater, but what's up with this:

Sukiru: Elemental healing.

For one, Skakdi can't use their powers without another, and two, this isn't Avatar... water has never been shown to have healing capabilities on its own.

So we do the posting in the discussion topic, which then all gets grouped together in the IC topic?

It all depends on how Lorax and GosP decide they want to fascilitate the jam. It could be here, or in a group PM, or in individual PMs to them, or in a shared online document, or something else entirely—I'm looking forward to seeing how they plan to do it myself.

Well there ARE other Skakdi in the Hunters, and Gali used her power to heal Tahu from Lerahk's poison.

When assisted by Lewa and Kopaka... however, it occurs to me that Nokama did heal an Ash Bear in one of the novels, but a quick check of BS01 confirms this is a Toa-exclusive ability using water to channel their Toa Energy's healing abilities. So a Skakdi would not be able to do it.

As for the other Skakdi, their powers would end up combining with Sting's water and will probably end up doing more harm than good. For example, Reaver's lightning. Plus, to use her powers, she would have to keep a second Skakdi near her at all times, one that may not be stealth ops material, or she would have to track them down in the middle of a mission.

I interpreted it as Lewa and Kopaka just pacifying him, not actually healing him, considering he was still high on Kurahk's Anger.

I did not know that Toa Energy was a thing though. I thought it was just regular Elemental Energy. Which is silly, of course, but I suppose you are right.

Well, this is certainly... interesting. It seems kind of odd to do such a substantial timeskip in a matter of a few posts, but I understand the reasoning behind it. I just hope we do get some RPing in the practice sessions, at least the group ones.

There will be plenty of opportunity to RP the training. As we said above, the timeskip is still quite some way off, we just wanted to give an early warning and let everyone know how the next stage of the game was shaping up.

So we do the posting in the discussion topic, which then all gets grouped together in the IC topic?

It all depends on how Lorax and GosP decide they want to fascilitate the jam. It could be here, or in a group PM, or in individual PMs to them, or in a shared online document, or something else entirely—I'm looking forward to seeing how they plan to do it myself.

At this stage, it's probably just going to be a "PM it all to GoSP" type of situation, but if we work out something better, we'll go with that.

I interpreted it as Lewa and Kopaka just pacifying him, not actually healing him, considering he was still high on Kurahk's Anger.

I did not know that Toa Energy was a thing though. I thought it was just regular Elemental Energy. Which is silly, of course, but I suppose you are right.

Toa Power and Elemental Energy are indeed two different things.

Well there ARE other Skakdi in the Hunters, and Gali used her power to heal Tahu from Lerahk's poison.

When assisted by Lewa and Kopaka... however, it occurs to me that Nokama did heal an Ash Bear in one of the novels, but a quick check of BS01 confirms this is a Toa-exclusive ability using water to channel their Toa Energy's healing abilities. So a Skakdi would not be able to do it.

As for the other Skakdi, their powers would end up combining with Sting's water and will probably end up doing more harm than good. For example, Reaver's lightning. Plus, to use her powers, she would have to keep a second Skakdi near her at all times, one that may not be stealth ops material, or she would have to track them down in the middle of a mission.

The exact mechanics of Skakdi elemental powers have always been a grey area in canon, so let me outline how we'll assume they work for the purposes of this game (spoiler alert, it's pretty much the BZPRPG route).

Skakdi can access their elemental powers when they have another Skakdi who is a) nearby, b) friendly towards them, and c) conscious. To expand on the friendly criterion, I imagine that whenever a Skakdi sees another for the first time, they get a sort of mental pop-up asking them whether they want to share elemental powers with this person. If both agree, they're good to go. This creates a sort of list in each Skakdi's head of those with whom they do or do not share powers, which they can choose to edit as they please (such as cutting off a former ally after betrayal, or adding in a wildcard who they have come to trust (slightly).

As for the combining of power, I will say that this is possible, but not necessary. So far as I can tell, there was exactly one instance in canon of Skakdi elemental powers being used at all. In this case, two elemental powers were used to create one dual construct, but only because it was convenient for Hakann and Avak at the time. Two toa could also have done the same thing, as rock plus heat always equals lava, no matter who is manipulating them.

In this game, Skakdi who meet the above criteria can use their powers individually as they please, without having to create a dual construct (what would a sonics/psyonics construct even look like?)

Now to healing specifically: I dun goofed. Whoops. It turns out that Gali and Nokama's healing effects drew from their Toa power, rather than an elemental effect. We'll need to find a different thing for Sukiru to work on instead.

GoSP, Lorax.

You two are insane.

Absolutely. Any other questions?

• Upvote 1

ppg2.png

Now to healing specifically: I dun goofed. Whoops. It turns out that Gali and Nokama's healing effects drew from their Toa power, rather than an elemental effect. We'll need to find a different thing for Sukiru to work on instead.

...Skakdi Power?

Also, I believe Sonics/Psionics construct would look like these: (skip to 8:05)

Questions, no. I do have a suggestion though.

Make a Google Doc and post it in here.

Unless GOsP wants to commit suicide through overwork that is.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

It turned its attention the sapient eel standing before it.

"You... smell funny," Konu-To said, gesturing that much. Then, pointing and the flat-headed ray, it continued: "Him... Skondh. I trust."

--IC: Idgaddiy and Skondh--

The pair began to make their way to the tower, along with the other members of their motley crew.  Skondh, having heard Konu-To's statement to "Shadowboxer," decided to drift close to his new friend, leaving Idgaddiy by himself.

This was of no concern to Idgaddiy- Skondh mattered little to him.

Just wanted to be a bit more clear than my post indicated: Abominable said that to Idgaddiy.

Edited by Drakua Toa of Rahi

waffleman2010.png

*Click Banner to go to the Sikza Spriting Kit topic

Hi Toa Fanixe. At the moment, a horn has just gone off, giving the recruits a signal that they should gather at the central tower. Once everyone is there, Nidhiki will introduce the next stage of training. For more details on this, check out Lorax's post above.

ppg2.png

I'm a little bit confused as to where I should put Erox, can someone clarify?

Since Erox isn't in one of the current group sessions, you could have him start on his individual training work, or perhaps join in with the weapons group for the time being, using his expertise to help the others pick out the best tools for them.

ppg2.png

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting as of late; I'm still hugely excited about being Zaryna, but my computer... passed away shortly after I made the last post and I haven't gotten a suitable replacement yet. Soooo stay tuned! Though I also see things are slowed down anyway so if anything I'm par for the course so far, lol.

• 2 weeks later...