Toy Fair 2017: Star Wars

TF17_Star_Wars_teaser.jpg

Next in our Toy Fair coverage is... more Star Wars! The System-scale sets for this theme from a long time ago have been super-popular since 1999 (coming up on twenty years!) and this year looks to have a good mix of sets from all the movies, Rebels, and the Freemaker Adventures, plus the upcoming Episode VIII. Let's take a look and see what we've got in store for 2017!

View the full article

Not a bad mix of sets so far-don't care for Aayla Secura's presence on the Republic Fighter Tank, but otherwise I'm liking what I"m seeing. Of course there are still several more sets that have yet to be revealed, not even counting entries from The Last Jedi; it'd be nice if we could get a few more Rebels entries.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Dear LEGO,

Please give Sabine her helmet in addition to her hair.

Love,

Bfa

She has had her helmet in one set: http://brickset.com/sets/75106-1/Imperial-Assault-Carrier But I agree she should have it in more of her appearances! It's a nice helmet with a lot of personality!

Anyway, love the Quadjumper and Rathtar Escape sets. The Quadjumper may have gotten very little screen time, but it was called out by name in The Force Awakens, and highly visible for those five seconds or so. That's more than can be said for, say, the Flash Speeder. Also, while Starkiller Base and the Finalizer are much more noteworthy, they would obviously need much higher price points, and LEGO generally has fewer of those to go around. The Rathtar Escape set feels very authentic even though a maze of corridors is a very tricky thing to realize as a playable set. It's neat that it looks like you could buy multiple sets and join them together for a larger layout. Granted, it'd be expensive, but the set is still a fine playset individually, and has a pretty fair value for its price point.

It probably is safe to say that the highest non-UCS price points for the year will be reserved for The Last Jedi, much like the Millennium Falcon from TFA was the biggest non-UCS set in 2015.

I hate to be a nitpick, but... Am I the only one that remembers the scene from rogue one as depicted in set 75171? I think it may have even been the point where the asian force adept guy died. Strange they didn't include him...

Whoa there, brother, heavy freaking spoilers. I haven't seen the thing yet here.

for crying out loud >.> 

On Topic:  That Republic Fighter Tank is neat, but that might be my love for Battlefront 2 speaking...

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Dear LEGO,

Love,

Bfa

She has had her helmet in one set: http://brickset.com/sets/75106-1/Imperial-Assault-Carrier But I agree she should have it in more of her appearances! It's a nice helmet with a lot of personality!

Yeah, that's why I'm miffed that it remains the only one of her now four set appearances to include it.  Still no Season 2 helmet.

(These are the things I've resigned myself to because she probably won't get another Black Series figure, and if she gets a CCBS figure it'll only be one of the styles.  Minifigs are the only real shot at portraying the full range she goes through.)

OpAXNpl.jpg

I hate to be a nitpick, but... Am I the only one that remembers the scene from rogue one as depicted in set 75171? I think it may have even been the point where the asian force adept guy died. Strange they didn't include him...

If they're trying to portray that scene then the set shouldn't include Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso, because they were nowhere near Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus at that point in the film.

Also, while Starkiller Base and the Finalizer are much more noteworthy, they would obviously need much higher price points, and LEGO generally has fewer of those to go around.

It depends on what they choose to portray. I'd say Kylo Ren's interrogation room on either location would be worthy of being a set (and knowing LEGO they would try to combine the two into one, which could actually work) and could get away with a lower price point. Other moments like Han Solo and Kylo Ren's showdown or Kylo Ren and Rey's duel might be worthwhile too. I think the issue is that playsets don't always sell as well as vehicles, so the latter seem to get prioritized. Obviously as a business LEGO and Lucasfilm will make the decisions that make sense for their bottom line.

Sweet Jesus, we're finally getting another Aayla Secura minifigure, after eight years.  And in a cheap set.  And without those big disturbing eyes that the old Clone Wars minifigures had.

Once June rolls around, I'll be first in line to pick that Republic Tank up and get my hands on that sweet, sweet Aayla Secura.

Oh, and the Rathtar Escape thing looks pretty good, too.  But mostly AAYLA SECURA.  (She's my favorite Star Wars character, if you can't tell.)

My favorite out of these sets is probably the Republic Fighter Tank. I really like how it looks, and I kind of wish it had appeared in the show. Though I guess there's still a chance it could show up on Rebels somehow. :)

I also like the Arrowhead. It has a cool design IMO. 

Thanks for the photos!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Dear LEGO,

Love,

Bfa

Yeah, that's why I'm miffed that it remains the only one of her now four set appearances to include it.  Still no Season 2 helmet.

(These are the things I've resigned myself to because she probably won't get another Black Series figure, and if she gets a CCBS figure it'll only be one of the styles.  Minifigs are the only real shot at portraying the full range she goes through.)

Alas, Rebels gets very little love. I think I have thought of a way they could open things up a bit: accessory packs, not unlike the Kanohi/Krana/Kraata/Kanoka and such packs of old. Imagine it: buy a little box and suddenly you can turn your First Order Stormtrooper into a Flametrooper or Snowtrooper! Give your Sabine figure (which they need) her assorted armor pieces from the three seasons!

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge